conflats

Re: Irish 9/19

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Easyjet is coming in for maintenance

EIDL

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Flew AerSpace on Friday to AMS - ticket was actually every so slightly cheaper than the cheapest Saver, probably as the flight was basically full and it was a close in booking.

It hasn't been implemented very well yet. You can't use the business/Aerclub checkin if you're just a normal non-status member, which is odd for a product being sold as a J connection product - but those passengers aren't going to be checking in in Dublin anyway of course.

Airport staff hadn't heard of it at all - I was let through Fasttrack without any trouble - but asked what AerSpace on the ticket meant -probably because I just handed the boarding pass over confidently; my boss was coming through after me and got questioned about it and they were quite awkward about letting him through.

Same happened at the lounge, I handed the pass over and it was scanned; he was questioned. He was wearing a shirt and shoes and I was in a tshirt and runners so if anything I was the one who looked a bit wrong!

Onboard, the staff looked after us properly but the primary serving CC wasn't aware of the full food service - drinks and small snacks were offered but when we asked the purser confirmed and breakfast was provided.

Its only two weeks in and the price paid was definitely not an issue - Ryanair were dearer that close in and KLM Economy sold out / Biz charging insane sums - but messaging to staff and critical partners clearly hasn't been done right.

OA260

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 am

Ireland fears EU aviation tax could pose cost and access issues for citizens

Finance ministers discuss plan to simplify bloc’s complex fiscal rules at Helsinki meeting

The Government has highlighted its concerns that proposals for a EU-wide aviation tax pose cost and access issues for Irish citizens.

The stance was raised ahead of EU finance ministers discussing the matter on Saturday at a meeting in Helsinki. Ireland will be one of only three remaining island states in the union after Brexit.

Speaking to reporters at the conclusion of a day-and-a-half of informal meetings involving EU finance ministers, European Commission vice president Valdis Dombravskis said some countries raised issues with a potential aviation levy, with Ireland “flagging certain concerns in terms of travel costs for their citizens”.

Sources said that the initial Irish concerns were raised at official level before the gathering. They do not represent a final Government position on the matter.

www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ire ... -1.4018462

Eagleboy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

EIDL wrote:
It hasn't been implemented very well yet............

Onboard, the staff looked after us properly but the primary serving CC wasn't aware of the full food service - drinks and small snacks were offered but when we asked the purser confirmed and breakfast was provided...............
Internally the crew have been told that AerSpace entitles customers to “complimentary drinks and snacks” No actual monetary value has been given. So I guess it depends on your opinion of what a snack is.
And with the way the EI service goes the aft crew may well start first and sell all breakfasts before the front crew get to ask the 4 AerSpace passengers.

Fliplot

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am

Aer Lingus suffers consistantly frim a lack of consistency! There is never a base standard roll out of anything! It is a great brand but does need to be maintained and supported!

OA260

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 am

Hotel for Knock Airport

Councillors approve Strategic Development Zone for Ireland West Airport Knock

The provision for a hotel and conference facilities have been included in the Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) to be located around Ireland West Airport Knock.
Councillors unanimously passed a motion at last week’s monthly meeting of Mayo County Council to adopt the draft planning scheme for the Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) at Ireland West Airport Knock.

www.mayonews.ie/news/34273-hotel-for-knock-airport

---

Shamrockmaple

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 am

Aer Lingus website now showing DUB-MSP as 5 x weekly from May 2020 with A330-200. While it is a decrease in frequency seat capacity goes up by approx. 90 seats each way per week.

Shamrockmaple

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 am

Done a bit more digging Aer Lingus DUB-MCO showing as 6 weekly for next summer. Was 4 weekly this year.

Clydenairways

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:34 am

Any update on the next EI A321 EI-LRB ?

shamrock350

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am

Clydenairways wrote:
Any update on the next EI A321 EI-LRB ?

Due Friday evening I believe.

It’s on the flight line at XFW with EI-LRC not too far behind.

EIDL

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
EIDL wrote:
It hasn't been implemented very well yet............

Onboard, the staff looked after us properly but the primary serving CC wasn't aware of the full food service - drinks and small snacks were offered but when we asked the purser confirmed and breakfast was provided...............
Internally the crew have been told that AerSpace entitles customers to “complimentary drinks and snacks” No actual monetary value has been given. So I guess it depends on your opinion of what a snack is.
And with the way the EI service goes the aft crew may well start first and sell all breakfasts before the front crew get to ask the 4 AerSpace passengers.

Talk about building potential for an argument over the sake of a few quid. The likelyhood that the pax the argument is with is high status / high spender is decent enough too. I was an abnormality, only being Green and jumping at a bargain but they still got a hefty fare out of me for it (flight was so close to full that Saver was ridiculously high)

"Snacks" would preclude the breakfast and sandwiches/rolls in my eyes - but the sales pitch is "complimentary food and drink". We were offered tea/coffee and I didn't really want booze anyway (I'd had a beer in the lounge anyway) but it would lead you to think booze is included too.

OA260

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 am

Flight makes emergency landing in Dublin Airport after 'smoke spotted' coming from passenger's tablet

They Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner had just got over the Atlantic when the issue arose

A flight from The UAE to The USA had to divert to Dublin Airport yesterday after smoke started coming out of a passenger's tablet.

Etihad staff decided to take no chances on flight EY131 from Abu Dhabi to Washington and turned towards Ireland as soon as they noticed the danger.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/flig ... n-20079205

—-

Facing a 22% airport charges cut: “an existential threat to Dublin Airport and for Ireland Inc”

An interview with Dalton Philips, Chief Executive, daa – operator of Dublin and Cork airports. By Ross Falconer

Challenging regulator’s charging cuts

Right now, Philips is especially energised by the upcoming regulatory decision on charges for the next five years. In May 2019, Ireland’s Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) issued a draft determination, recommending a 22% cut in airport charges at Dublin Airport to €7.50 per passenger for the period from 2020 to 2024. The final determination is expected by early-October.

www.airport-business.com/2019/09/facing ... eland-inc/

Fliplot

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Had a quick look at Aer Space fares over a numver of destinations for tha last weekend in October! For Frankfurt and Munuch LH business is approx €140 cheaper than Ei on all flights! For Zurich, Paris and Geneva the Aer Space fares are cheaper than the advantage fares! I am guessing there is a logic to this! Early days still but none the less intetesting!

OA260

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:00 am

Ryanair shareholders narrowly approve bonus plan for O'Leary

Ryanair shareholders have today narrowly approved a bonus scheme for chief executive Michael O'Leary that could earn him around €100m over five years.

The bonus scheme, which requires him to either double the profitability or share price of the carrier within five years, was approved by 50.5% of votes.

Michael O'Leary in February said he would stay for another five years at Europe's largest low-cost airline.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/09 ... anair-agm/

—-

First concrete pavement to be poured at @DublinAirport's new North Runway, but full benefits of runway project risk being lost by daa’s inability to fund investments due to proposed 22% airport charges cut, daa CEO warns.

www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/ ... rth-runway

leghorn

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am

how is the two runway system going to operate?
(weather allowing) Will both be in operation simultaneously with northern runway used for takeoffs heading eastward as most traffic is going east from Ireland while the southern runway receiving landings coming mostly westward from Europe.

tonystan

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:26 am

leghorn wrote:
how is the two runway system going to operate?
(weather allowing) Will both be in operation simultaneously with northern runway used for takeoffs heading eastward as most traffic is going east from Ireland while the southern runway receiving landings coming mostly westward from Europe.

This link is a bit old now but gives a rough idea of how they intend on using the new runway.

Just hope there’s is plenty of taxiway for all those planes landing waiting for the limited stands available!

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/defa ... 63261c6e_2
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 pm

KIR hoping to secure EDI flights with Loganair for next summer:

https://www.radiokerry.ie/hopes-flights ... xt-summer/

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:01 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Seems reasonable, lets hope they are not a carrier expanding to fast...

Dublinspotter

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:09 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Seems reasonable, lets hope they are not a carrier expanding to fast...

Been following Loganair for a while and I have previously expressed concern about their expansion of late. They seem to be following the 'odd route' circuit that BD Regional served before they folded. I want to be proved wrong, but it seems this is their direction now.

More routes between Scotland and Ireland can't be a bad development however and I wish them all the best for their future in Ireland!
Dublinspotter

BrianDromey

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I think Loganair and bmi had common owners, which might explain some of it. It’s going to be difficult to make money between Kerry and Edinburgh on an ERJ. The ATR seems like a much more suitable aircraft for Loganair’s flying. I guess the ERJs are cheap to finance though.

OA260

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Dublin Airport developments stalled over planned charge cuts

John Kilraine
Some planned developments at Dublin Airport have been put on hold because of planned cuts to charges, according to the DAA.

DAA Chief Executive Dalton Philips said the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) was proposing to cut airport charges by 22%.

He said €2 billion in developments, including new boarding gates and parking stands, have been stalled.

www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0919/107690 ... n-airport/

Fliplot

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Always interested in how the DAA do their maths. Why should those currently using the airport pay for future facilities. Surely the future facilities will lead to increased numbers using the airport, thereby increasing the DAA revenues? No doubt I have missed something!!!!

OA260

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:01 am

Up to 20 Ryanair pilots based in Dublin Airport face redundancy
Airline may have to cut up to 700 pilots and cabin crew as it reins in planned expansion

Up to 20 Ryanair pilots in Dublin Airport face being laid off as the airline reins in planned expansion on the back of stalled aircraft deliveries.

The Irish airline may have to cut between 500 and 700 pilots and cabin crew if delays in the delivery of 30 new Boeing 737 Max aircraft that it has ordered for 2020 stretch into next summer.

Speaking after Ryanair’s annual general meeting (agm) yesterday, chief executive Michael O’Leary said it was seeking between 10 and 20 redundancies from pilots based in Dublin Airport.

The airline employs 400 pilots in Dublin, its biggest Irish base. Mr O’Leary said Ryanair was offering 12 months’ unpaid leave as a way of cutting numbers voluntarily.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4024202

---

Belfast International Airport owners reveal ambitious expansion plan

THE head of Belfast International Airport's French majority owners Vinci insists that "money is no object" in growing the Aldergrove hub and attracting new routes.

Nicolas Notebaert, chief executive of Vinci Concessions and president of Vinci Airports hinted at the potential of a new terminal building in the coming years.

He also suggested that Vinci would throw its weight behind ambitions to attract additional carriers including Qatar and America Airlines to Belfast.

And he pledged to "bring whatever influence possible" to the airport's ongoing campaign to remove air passenger duty, a tax which can add nearly £30 on domestic fares and which is widely regarded as an inhibitor to growth.

M Notebaert was speaking to the Irish News 18 months after the French infrastructure giant purchased Belfast International Airport as part of global expansion plans.

www.irishnews.com/business/2019/09/20/n ... e-1716972/

EI564

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 am

Fliplot wrote:
Always interested in how the DAA do their maths. Why should those currently using the airport pay for future facilities. Surely the future facilities will lead to increased numbers using the airport, thereby increasing the DAA revenues? No doubt I have missed something!!!!

If the DAA was proposing to increase charges, I could see why you'd find that odd. But by cutting charges by 20%, they will have less money. Despite having to build a lot more over the next 5 years than they did over the last 5. It will take a while to grow passengers by 20% given the current economic environment.

Fliplot

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am

I agree with your comment. However it now makes sense for the Givernment to look at owning directly tbe base infrastructure (runways, taxiways and control tower). This would alliw DAA to finance easier projects at the airport.
I guess what us truly silly is the involvement of all the "state" agencies- direct and indirect! Surely they could actually talk to each and find a solution!

wexfordflyer

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Fliplot wrote:

That's down to the regulatory environment within which they have been placed.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

Fliplot

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Thank you!
I was aware of the issue for the DAA. In simple language the regulator believes we are being screwed by the DAA! Now that thought never crossed my mind!!!!

JAmie2k9

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Thank you!
I was aware of the issue for the DAA. In simple language the regulator believes we are being screwed by the DAA! Now that thought never crossed my mind!!!!

Nobody including daa is against cheaper charges. The 20% drop is the problem and the regulator think dropping them will benefit passengers. Its pretty flawed and there is no evidence carriers will pass on the savings. Its like the travel tax, reduced VAT for tourism. We all benefited massively didn't we....

The regulator is not giving enough consideration to passengers and the wider importance of the airport facilities. I would expect a smaller drop to be announced (maybe 10-12%) next month. They usually reduce the decision once feedback received.

Additionally such a drop in charges will pressure other airports on the island to cut fees and hand more power to EI and FR.

Fliplot

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 pm

You have hit the nail on the head! Hence my suggestion that dialog is required between the various instruments of state! How can the regulator reduce the charges and use passengers as the excuse if he cannot enforce rhe changes all the way to the said passengers benefit? It is a silly but entirely Irish solution!
With the criminal rents and parking fees charged by the DAA it is obvious the passenger charges are not adequate!

EI321

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am

Looks like Delta have switched to an A330-300 from the current 767-400 for the JFK-DUB route from February. Slight capacity increase.

I read here previously that they were switching to a 767-300 for the winter but the -400 is still scheduled on their site. The -400s are all getting cabin upgrades which may explain the schedule change in February since they are gradually being taken out of service temporarily.

Fliplot

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 am

Anyone know how Air Baltic are doing?

Galwayman

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Anyone know if Thomas Cook use the same A330 engines as EI ? Could be an opportunity to pick up some additional aircraft and some pilots ... They’ve been opportunistic before.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Anyone know if Thomas Cook use the same A330 engines as EI ? Could be an opportunity to pick up some additional aircraft and some pilots ... They’ve been opportunistic before.

I believe they're all Rolls Royce which wouldn't be compatible with those in EI's portfolio (GE).

If MT does go under, could we see a mass influx of aircraft to SNN as in previous collapses?

BrianDromey

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:31 pm

TCX are all Rolls Royce powered. Most of their A321s are CFM, though.
To be honest I would expect Virgin to have some interest, but I think it’s a bit soon to be picking over the carcass of TCX, thier fate is not yet certain. The airline operations are, apparently, profitable. To what extent that depends on the sales from the wider group and overheads being absorbed by TC I don’t know. It might be possible for parts of the group to be saved.

EI321

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 pm

McEvaddy again pushing plans for a 3rd mid field terminal at Dublin. This proposal has been ongoing for 20 years now.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 20367.html

OA260

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am

Rutter departure sparks reshuffle at Aer Lingus

Controversial COO moves on after driving cost cuts, writes Fearghal O'Connor

The departure of Aer Lingus's chief operating officer, Mike Rutter, has sparked a management reshuffle at the IAG-owned former national flag carrier.
Earlier this month, when contacted by the Sunday Independent to confirm Rutter's departure, the airline responded by saying that he had "not left Aer Lingus but he is currently on annual leave" but declined to confirm whether or not he would return after his holidays.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/rutte ... 20393.html

---

Belfast Airport warns holidaymakers to stay away as Thomas Cook ceases trading

There will be no Thomas Cook flights out of Belfast after the travel company ceased trading in the early hours of this morning (Monday).

www.armaghi.com/news/armagh-news/belfas ... ding/94281

---

Report finds private jet suffered substantial damage during an aborted take-off from Cork Airport

A private jet departing Cork Airport suffered substantial damage to its forward wheel structure in an incident at the airport last year.

A report from the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) has found that pre-flight checks of the aircraft did not identify that a torque link release pin was disconnected.

The incident occurred on July 18, 2018 when the Cessna 750 jet with a crew of two and six passengers was about to take off from Cork bound for Gander, Newfoundland.

www.echolive.ie/corknews/Report-finds-p ... 8be8526-ds

Galwayman

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:02 am

BrianDromey wrote:
TCX are all Rolls Royce powered. Most of their A321s are CFM, though.
To be honest I would expect Virgin to have some interest, but I think it’s a bit soon to be picking over the carcass of TCX, thier fate is not yet certain. The airline operations are, apparently, profitable. To what extent that depends on the sales from the wider group and overheads being absorbed by TC I don’t know. It might be possible for parts of the group to be saved.

Not too soon at all , there are jobs to save

shamrock350

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:58 pm

The second A321LR for Aer Lingus had its customer acceptance flight this afternoon. It spent 1hr 25min in the air.

The third will be hiding in the hangers at XFW for a few more weeks before test flights begin.

kaitak

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 pm

It landed at 21.55 ... just watched it taxying in!

Anyone know what its first revenue trip will be?

Will its arrival mean the retirement of the first 757?

shamrock350

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:50 pm

It will spend a few days in the hanger for customisation, safety equipment, lighting etc. before apparently entering service on 01 October to Heathrow.

I believe the next transatlantic route for the aircraft is actually SNN-BOS at the end of October, followed by DUB-PHL in early November. It was also supposed to be on IAD 3x weekly from late October but currently all flights are shown as an A330 even when an A321LR is listed so that looks like a change of plan.

A350belfast

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Could VS fill the gap for Cancun flights from Belfast? Such a shame to see BFS lose so many routes so quicky.

EI321

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 am

American Airlines DFW - DUB route will begin a month earlier (May 7th) next year using a 787-9.

Skyblue39

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 am

EI321 wrote:
American Airlines DFW - DUB route will begin a month earlier (May 7th) next year using a 787-9.

Nice to see! I flew this twice during the summer and it had solid LF and reportedly has been doing well all summer, despite people on here saying otherwise.

eidvm

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:44 am

shamrock350 wrote:
It will spend a few days in the hanger for customisation, safety equipment, lighting etc. before apparently entering service on 01 October to Heathrow.

I believe the next transatlantic route for the aircraft is actually SNN-BOS at the end of October, followed by DUB-PHL in early November. It was also supposed to be on IAD 3x weekly from late October but currently all flights are shown as an A330 even when an A321LR is listed so that looks like a change of plan.

Apparently due to the runway length in Dublin, particularly on wet days with a slight tail wind the aircraft is struggling to get enough fuel in to even make BDL, so Washington has been put back on an A330 for this winter.

Shouldn’t be as much of an issue once the north-runway opens in 2021. In the interim though the next two 321NeoLRs will be replacing the 757s out of Shannon, due to the longer runway down there meaning they’re not restricted and can operate to their designed range. Once again Dublin is hamstrung by its short runway.

OA260

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 am

A350belfast wrote:
Could VS fill the gap for Cancun flights from Belfast? Such a shame to see BFS lose so many routes so quicky.

Too early to tell at this stage the dust has not even settled yet so will also depend on whether or not BFS goes after a replacement for the lost routes hard enough. Just remember when Zoom went bust.

Galwayman

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 am

A350belfast wrote:

Could be a gap for a EI to launch flights from Dub to Cancun ...

EINA320

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:29 am

eidvm wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Apparently due to the runway length in Dublin, particularly on wet days with a slight tail wind the aircraft is struggling to get enough fuel in to even make BDL, so Washington has been put back on an A330 for this winter.

Shouldn’t be as much of an issue once the north-runway opens in 2021. In the interim though the next two 321NeoLRs will be replacing the 757s out of Shannon, due to the longer runway down there meaning they’re not restricted and can operate to their designed range. Once again Dublin is hamstrung by its short runway.

That’s interesting because I’m flying SNN-JFK on the 26/12 and it’s still listed as 757. I was wondering why there would be one A321 and one 757 in Shannon until February instead of making SNN all airbus. Is my flight likely to change to an A321?

JAmie2k9

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:40 am

Did TCX not just run a once off Cancun ex Belfast? IMO VS will focus on bigger opportunities.

TUI also scrapped DUB-Cancun a few months ago for 2020 and gone back to Delta the traditional route via ATL outside of flying via UK.

CarbonFibre

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 am

shamrock350 wrote:

Is it planned to do EI156/157? I thought LHR services had been delayed by a week.

Skyblue39

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 am

Ryanair just announced 4 new routes form Dublin including a first ever route from Ireland to Montenegro.

Marseille, Palanga, Verona and Podgorica

Available for Booking now on: www.ryanair.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos