chonetsao

Re: OAG Changes 9/1/2019:AS Massive Changes, Drops SAN-ABQ/ELP/MCI/MSP/OMA/STL,SFO-ABQ/MCI,LAXPHL,BURSJC;AA Adds FAI-DFW

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:41 pm

My worry about JFK is that AA is making JFK barebone, there is hardly any noticeable connection market for JFK. With B772/773 operated long haul flight by AA and BA between London and Europe, South America to JFK, would there be enough transit opportunities left. I mean, O&D is impressive from New York to those destinations, but would the cut require AA some day to right size the long haul fleet in JFK to B788 and B789 only?

AA needs to have a grand strategy on long haul flying among its three hub, namely JFK, PHL and CLT. You can't have all of the three without painful decisions.

IPFreely

Re: OAG Changes 9/1/2019:AS Massive Changes, Drops SAN-ABQ/ELP/MCI/MSP/OMA/STL,SFO-ABQ/MCI,LAXPHL,BURSJC;AA Adds FAI-DFW

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
How did an Alaska schedule adjustment that doesn’t involve Portland once again indicate Alaska is cutting Portland? Absolutely bonkers.

PDX is the new DTW.

Bluewho

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm

shadez wrote:
DL FLL-NAS DEC 0>0.3[0]

This is an interesting and seemingly random add.

Let’s see it’s Delta so it’s probably to annoy JetBlue.
Soon you will see signs in FLL. Delta Ft Lauderdale's global airline of choice.

Definitely an interesting one.

Bluewho

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:22 pm

tlecam wrote:
Shuttle markets get smaller and smaller. NOV now seeing big cuts.
*AA BOS-DCA NOV 13>10[13] DEC 14>10[10] JAN 14>13[12]
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
*AA BOS-JFK NOV 3>1.7[3] DEC 6>2[3]
*AA BOS-LGA NOV 10>8[10] DEC 12>8[8] JAN 12>11[10]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]
AA BOS-ORD NOV 8>7[8] DEC 9>6[7]

AA continues to pull back in Boston. I am most surprised that they’ll be down to 6 frequencies per day on BOS-ORD. While their plane gauge is certainly (much) larger, that is only 1 or 2 more frequencies per day than DL’s service, launching at the end of September.

The reductions to DCA are also notable in light of DL launching that service as well.

I think you are seeing the casualties of the Bos B6 DL war. It’s not B6 or DL being hit it’s the others just like SWA calling it quits on ATL BOS

enilria
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:42 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
enilria wrote:
*AS BWI-SAN NOV 0.9>0[0.9] DEC 1.0>0[0.8] JAN 1.0>0[0.8] FEB 0.8>0[0.7] MAR 0.8>0[0.8] APR 0.9>0[0.9] MAY 0.9>0.3[0.9]
*AS BWI-SFO NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[0.9] JAN 1.0>0[0.9] FEB 0.9>0[0.9] MAR 0.9>0.4[0.8]

So are they cutting these routes or moving them to seasonal? The slight uptick in March would indicate the latter, no?

My read is that they are seasonal.
grbauc wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Every week it seems that they're cutting JFK flights. I bet that hub is first to go in the next recession.

It’s really not a connection hub and hasn’t been for a long time it’s a large OD /international gateway hub. The international part is shifting more towards PHL not much to go. If The OD part isn’t working then they cut it and move to something else that’s working. Losing or killing JFK in a recession would be has bad has the DL retraction at LAX years ago.

The role of JFK is not what I want or would do. It’s place at AA for now is different. The New York market is way to important for AA to abandon.
Until we get a different vision at AA this has been the course for a long while now.

JFK LGA / BA Is still a sizable OPERATION.

Very hard to be running an O&D hub (AA/B6) when there's a connecting hub (DL) at the same airport, although being an LCC helps B6 make that work better.
LAXBUR wrote:
How did an Alaska schedule adjustment that doesn’t involve Portland once again indicate Alaska is cutting Portland? Absolutely bonkers.

I think as I posted several months ago, the newly appointed AS Planning leadership has made some noise about returning to their roots, so I think PDX is back in vogue and the Cali stuff isn't, although LAX is probably safer as AS has roots there.
IPFreely wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

PDX is the new DTW.

I think AS has used PDX as a relief valve to steal A/C when needed for other stuff. Those birds may be coming back to the nest. I'd be really surprised if the master plan is to trade PHL-LAX/SFO for BDL-LAX/SFO or something similar. It's more likely these planes go to SEA/PDX. Also, keep in mind SY is knocking on the door in PDX.
Bluewho wrote:
tlecam wrote:
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]

AA continues to pull back in Boston. I am most surprised that they’ll be down to 6 frequencies per day on BOS-ORD. While their plane gauge is certainly (much) larger, that is only 1 or 2 more frequencies per day than DL’s service, launching at the end of September.

The reductions to DCA are also notable in light of DL launching that service as well.

I think you are seeing the casualties of the Bos B6 DL war. It’s not B6 or DL being hit it’s the others just like SWA calling it quits on ATL BOS

Except it is all the shuttle routes including LGA-ORD. I think it's AA hacking Holidays to death in business markets.

apodino

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:14 pm

chonetsao wrote:
My worry about JFK is that AA is making JFK barebone, there is hardly any noticeable connection market for JFK. With B772/773 operated long haul flight by AA and BA between London and Europe, South America to JFK, would there be enough transit opportunities left. I mean, O&D is impressive from New York to those destinations, but would the cut require AA some day to right size the long haul fleet in JFK to B788 and B789 only?

AA needs to have a grand strategy on long haul flying among its three hub, namely JFK, PHL and CLT. You can't have all of the three without painful decisions.

They do have a grand strategy on Europe but it also involves ORD, which you did not mention. Here is the thing. According to Parker and Co...AA lost money hand over fist for years in JFK longhaul flying. It just did not work as a connecting hub. The US merger gave them PHL, which works much better as a connecting hub. Their focus in JFK (And the rest of NYC for that matter) is O and D flying. If they can not be profitable on O and D flying along, they will not fly the route out of JFK. This is one reason why JFK-LHR has been ramped up, because it is the most lucrative route in commercial aviation. Its why AA can make other cities such as CDG work, but why other such as ZRH and EDI were moved to PHL. JFK will be O and D focused going forward, and any connections they happen to be able to pick up are just condiments on the Salad. In fact, because of the changes AA has made in JFK, their Europe operation in JFK is now profitable, when it was losing money for decades. PHL is clearly the primary Europe hub, and ORD is now becoming the secondary Europe Hub. (AA now has more Europe flights than UA in ORD fwiw). CLT is going to remain pretty much status quo for two related reasons. One is that there are only about 12 FIS capable gates in CLT which limits what they can do. Secondly is that only a couple of gates outside of D can handle widebodies. They are pretty much maxed out on what they can do in CLT at the moment, and until the 321 NEO comes on line, don't look for much change in CLT.

As far as the other AA cuts, these all appear to be 737 MAX related cuts, which could hint that the MAX may be delayed into next year. Two other things at play is that the E190 fleet is going to be ramped down in the future, and I would also look at the total seats in these markets rather than frequency.

jayunited

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Rdh3e wrote:

So many people complaining about JFK cuts and no one addressing the fact that they are in a permanent and unaddressable #3 spot due to slots and airspace. How do you propose they get to profitability? It seems you all want a return to status quo where AA lost money just because "the market is important" with no vision of how that pays off anytime in the future.

Anyone care to address this hole in the AA NYC fantasy?

But who is responsible for the fact that AA has so few slots?
How did both B6 and DL leap frog past AA at JFK?
When did AA's decline at JFK begin was it before or after the merger with US?
How many slots did AA have before the merger and how many slots do they have today?
If they have less slots today then why is that and again who is responsible for the lack of slots at JFK?

We all know how congested the airspace is over the Northeast and that JFK is slot controlled which puts AA in a difficult position. However; AA still has to take some responsibility for the position they find themselves in at JFK v.s. their direct JFK competitors. I'm trying to be insensitive but these cuts can't all be the result of lack of slots and congested airspace.
Last edited by jayunited on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinotter

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm

IPFreely wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

PDX is the new DTW.

There are all kinds of different possiilities in the future. Somebody suggests maybe cuts in PDX after cuts in SAN, retreat to SEA. A possible line of thought connected to the current AS schedule changes at SAN. So why are you so negative about hypothesizing the future at AS and elsewhere?

Frontier14

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:19 pm

jbmitt wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
jetmatt777 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
UA RIW-SHR?

Also a lot more capacity on the EWR- SLC route from DL and UA. Anything to do with the new terminal?

DEN-RIW-SHR. It’s a SkyWest milk run like DEN-PUB-LBL, DEN-HYS-SLN.

I believe it’s actually Denver Air Connection on the Dornier 328 jets.

You are correct I believe. Key LIme Air (dba Denver Air Connection) recently received code share approval with United at DEN. Key Lime has been running the Dornier and Metros between these two cities for several years on an independent basis. Rumor has it Key Lime is being more aggressive now in search of EAS routes out of Denver and needed the United code share to make it work.

Frontier 14

RWA380

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 pm

cschleic wrote:
Wow, AS really is cutting SAN. A lot of those, and other cuts, are E75 routes. Something going on there?

Redistribution & reallocation of assets to solidify their presence on the West Coast. SAN is down one or two flights once you take into consideration the adds & increases SAN saw the last week. BWI for example is only seasonal & comes back in April. So while shocking to see when written out, it's by no means a loss on interest on AS's part at SAN, just a better understanding of how to capture market-share.

tlecam wrote:
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]

November & December are the worst months for corporate travel & business oriented routes, like this loose traffic while employees take holiday time off & big events rarely happen in these months for the same reason. You'll notice in January they all but one flight, go right back to where they are before the holidays & that is because it's January & freezing outside. LOL!

hiflyeras wrote:
AS is promising announcements are forthcoming on new mainline flying to replace that has been dropped.

DL it seems is finally giving up on SE Alaska. Didn’t they even drop to RJ’s last summer?

Wow, you know something I don't know, what is wrong with my guy up there? He hasn't mentioned upcoming mainline additions ... I'll be curious to see what they are. When did they promise that to the public?

shadez wrote:
DL FLL-NAS DEC 0>0.3[0]

Delta has the size of fleet where they can add, holiday only routes like PDX-HNL for example, just over the busy holiday travel season. I like to call them, shooting fish in a barrel routes.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

hiflyeras

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 pm

The reasoning behind AS keeping most growth in SEA that they are allocated gates by the Port of Seattle based on the number of flights (or passengers...can't remember which). You can't allow your competitors any slack and must continue to grow your number of departures at fear of losing gates. That's why you see the focus on SEA and consequently so many delays...it's over capacity due to the lack of slot control. DL and AS keep adding flights to retain their hold on gates and not allow the other to grow more than you. AS is maxed on out gates at LAX as well and won't see much growth at SFO until the new T1 fully opens. I think PDX will be seeing more growth as well...but not so much out of SFO or LAX until they get more gates.

jetmatt777

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
jetmatt777 wrote:

You are correct I believe. Key LIme Air (dba Denver Air Connection) recently received code share approval with United at DEN. Key Lime has been running the Dornier and Metros between these two cities for several years on an independent basis. Rumor has it Key Lime is being more aggressive now in search of EAS routes out of Denver and needed the United code share to make it work.

Frontier 14

For the second time - this is being operated by OO on UA’s code.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

alasizon

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:30 pm

tphuang wrote:
I thought people were telling me AA is going to have 111 departures from JFK this November. I guess that didn't happen.

JFK is still planned to peak out at 111 departures for AA in November. Maybe with some of these cuts due to the MAX OOS they are down to about 102-104 or so but still a good increase compared to the summer.

enilria wrote:
*AA CLE-JFK NOV 1.2>0.7[3] DEC 2>0.5[3]

More chopping of JFK
*AA JFK-LAS DEC 2>0.5[1.8]
*AA JFK-LAX DEC 12>10[11]
*AA JFK-MIA NOV 7>6[6] DEC 8>7[6]
AA JFK-ORD NOV 2>1.6[1.0] DEC 1.0>1.5[1.4] JAN 1.0>1.2[1.9]
*AA JFK-PHL NOV 1.4>0.6[1.0] DEC 5>0.8[1.0]
*AA JFK-PHX NOV 6>4[4]
*AA JFK-PIT NOV 1.9>1.3[1.0] DEC 4>1.2[1.0]
*AA JFK-RDU NOV 3>2[4] DEC 4>2[4]
*AA JFK-RIC NOV 0.8>0.5[0] DEC 3>1.2[0]
*AA JFK-SAN NOV 1.5>0[1.6] DEC 1.0>0.5[1.8]
*AA JFK-SEA NOV 1.2>0[0.9]
*AA JFK-YUL DEC 1.9>0.6[2]
*AA JFK-YYZ NOV 1.8>1.3[1.9] DEC 2>0.9[2]

JFK-PHX is a MAX cut for November, it was supposed to increase to 6x daily pending the MAX being available

For December:
JFK-CLE is suspended for the slot waiver period.
JFK-LAS looks like it operates 1x daily except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-LAX operates 12x except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-MIA still operates 8x except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-PHL only operates during the slot waiver period, it doesn't operate in the 1H
JFK-PIT looks like it just wasn't put up for sale in December properly to start with; YOY it is flat and I can't see them trying to actually fly it as often as was OFS.
JFK-RDU is an actual cut
JFK-RIC is an actual cut
JFK-SAN comes back in the holiday period daily
JFK-YUL cuts a frequency and doesn't operate during the slot waiver period
JFK-YYZ still operates 2x except the slot waiver period

Not looking to get into the debate about the current status of JFK for AA but overall, its about on par with the "regular" JFK cuts every year for the slot waiver period.

enilria wrote:
AA FSD-PHX DEC 1.0>1.3[0.7]

Going double daily for the Holiday period; much needed.

enilria wrote:
AA PHX-RDU DEC 1.0>1.8[0]

Surprised to see this one going 2x, didn't think there was that much demand.

enilria wrote:
UA BWI-IAH OCT 3>2[1.9]
UA CHA-ORD OCT 3>2[3]
UA COU-ORD OCT 3>2[2]
UA GRK-IAH OCT 3>1.9[3]
UA IAH-JAN OCT 6>5[5]
UA IAH-LCH OCT 4>3[3]
UA IAH-LIT OCT 6>5[5]
UA IAH-PNS OCT 6>5[5]
UA IAH-SHV OCT 5>4[4]
UA ILM-ORD OCT 1.7>1.0[1.9]
UA ORD-RAP OCT 1.7>1.2[1.7]
UA ORD-YWG OCT 3>2[3]

Quite a lot of close-in cuts for UA, is there a regional having staffing/aircraft issues for UA?
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

jayunited

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 pm

apodino wrote:
They do have a grand strategy on Europe but it also involves ORD, which you did not mention. In fact, because of the changes AA has made in JFK, their Europe operation in JFK is now profitable, when it was losing money for decades. PHL is clearly the primary Europe hub, and ORD is now becoming the secondary Europe Hub. (AA now has more Europe flights than UA in ORD fwiw). CLT is going to remain pretty much status quo for two related reasons. One is that there are only about 12 FIS capable gates in CLT which limits what they can do. Secondly is that only a couple of gates outside of D can handle widebodies. They are pretty much maxed out on what they can do in CLT at the moment, and until the 321 NEO comes on line, don't look for much change in CLT.

AA has more seasonal flights to Europe than UA from ORD. However; except for 4 maybe 5 TATL flights, UA flies the remainder of their ORD TATL schedule year around. The only TATL flight AA flies year around from ORD is LHR everything else is seasonal which is a shame given the size of AA's domestic operation at ORD.
UA at IAD which is our secondary European hub doesn't even see TATL cuts that drastically during the winter months and after IAD then next in line is ORD if we are talking about hubs east of the Mississippi river.

I give AA credit their summer TATL line up out of ORD is incredible but their winter line up leaves much to be desired.

sprxUSA

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

Frontier 14

KG out, OO on with new state money.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

32andBelow

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Maybe AS is working towards bringing all flying back to the air group.

LAXBUR

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:23 pm

spinotter wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

PDX is the new DTW.

There are all kinds of different possiilities in the future. Somebody suggests maybe cuts in PDX after cuts in SAN, retreat to SEA. A possible line of thought connected to the current AS schedule changes at SAN. So why are you so negative about hypothesizing the future at AS and elsewhere?

Because it is silly and they know it. San Diego and PDX are not comparable when it comes to Alaska. One is a relatively new focus city with a fierce competitor and the other has been a hub for years with little competition except for a recent ULCC arrival that seems to just be picking up bargain hunters to leisure destinations.

PDX will remain a hub with adjustments here and there. Could I be wrong? Sure. But there has been ZERO indication as such. It seems PDX fans won’t be happy and think Alaska “hates” PDX till it has the same level of service as SEA. If PDX is such a hot commodity why hasn’t Southwest or Delta expanded aggressively? Maybe, just maybe, like Alaska the numbers aren’t there. Just the way it is. Running an airline is a business, not a “this place seems cool! Let’s fly there!”

Aliqiout

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 pm

spinotter wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

PDX is the new DTW.

Yes there are all kinds future possibilities, but taking a schedule change that increases frequency on two PDX routes, and has no PDX cuts, as a precursor to shuttering the PDX hub is ridiculous.

EA CO AS

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:37 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
It seems PDX fans won’t be happy and think Alaska “hates” PDX till it has the same level of service as SEA.

It has been that way for DECADES. PDX has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to SEA.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Sydscott

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:03 am

BroadwayLimited wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Here is what I'm sure everyone at AA management knows, but won't tell their NYC crew. All those high value customers have moved to DL. They aren't coming back unless DL starts cutting routes or product. And that clearly isn't happening. Without those ff, DL will continue to eat their lunch in NYC.

100% agree!

And since AA knows that and also knows that there is nothing they can do to try and re-build / match the schedule DL has out of New York , I don't see why people on this board find it constantly surprising that AA is making cuts. NYC is not a focus for AA, that's why they are growing internationally from PHL and ORD along with growing domestically at PHX, DFW and CLT. AA's NYC strategy is to shrink to profitability and focus on their other hubs which is the history of the past 3 to 5 years of AA strategy.

Gulfstream500

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:50 am

grbauc wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Every week it seems that they're cutting JFK flights. I bet that hub is first to go in the next recession.

It’s really not a connection hub and hasn’t been for a long time it’s a large OD /international gateway hub. The international part is shifting more towards PHL not much to go. If The OD part isn’t working then they cut it and move to something else that’s working. Losing or killing JFK in a recession would be has bad has the DL retraction at LAX years ago.

The role of JFK is not what I want or would do. It’s place at AA for now is different. The New York market is way to important for AA to abandon.
Until we get a different vision at AA this has been the course for a long while now.

My theory is that JFK with AA will get more or less replaced with AA at LGA.

To this day, I still do not understand why AA operates three hubs that are 100 miles apart
Thinking of a good signature is hard...

tphuang

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:57 am

It's really hard to have a competitive lga operation without complimenting JFK operation. The high yielding clients need to be able to fly to out of perimeter and international destinations too.

BTW, I am not saying aa is wrong to shrink JFK. That's up to their leadership to decide. But let's call it for what it is rather than repeating something vasu said.

maps4ltd

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:09 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
UA RIW-SHR?

Also a lot more capacity on the EWR- SLC route from DL and UA. Anything to do with the new terminal?

A bit out of the way for those headed to Sheridan. Isn't there a Gillette-Denver nonstop?
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

WN732

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

My theory is that JFK with AA will get more or less replaced with AA at LGA.

To this day, I still do not understand why AA operates three hubs that are 100 miles apart

Any reduction in CLT/PHL/NYC just gets filled in by someone else. It's a good position to be in for the northeast.

Rdh3e

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:19 am

maps4ltd wrote:

A bit out of the way for those headed to Sheridan. Isn't there a Gillette-Denver nonstop?

Yes, GCC has nonstops, but there will also be a DEN-SHR nonstop.

enilria wrote:
**UA DEN-RIW JAN 0>1.0[0] FEB 0>1.6[0] MAR 0>1.8[0] APR 0>1.9[0] MAY 0>1.8[0] JUN 0>1.9[0]
**UA DEN-SHR JAN 0>0.6[0] FEB 0>0.8[0] MAR 0>0.9[0] APR 0>0.9[0] MAY 0>0.8[0] JUN 0>0.9[0]
*UA RIW-SHR JAN 0>0.6[0] FEB 0>1.0[0] MAR 0>1.0[0] APR 0>1.0[0] MAY 0>1.0[0] JUN 0>1.0[0]

SUNCTRY738

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:22 am

pmanni1 wrote:
How can AS ever grow beyond being a regional west coast airline? With the exception of SEA, their attempts to grow SAN, SFO and PDX into the east and midwest have mostly failed.

I wonder the same thing, what does AS do from within to grow in bulk? Or don't they grow in bulk? Or can they only grow in bulk though snow acquisition or merger?

BA

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 am

alasizon wrote:
JFK-PHX is a MAX cut for November, it was supposed to increase to 6x daily pending the MAX being available

For December:
JFK-CLE is suspended for the slot waiver period.
JFK-LAS looks like it operates 1x daily except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-LAX operates 12x except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-MIA still operates 8x except during the slot waiver period.
JFK-PHL only operates during the slot waiver period, it doesn't operate in the 1H
JFK-PIT looks like it just wasn't put up for sale in December properly to start with; YOY it is flat and I can't see them trying to actually fly it as often as was OFS.
JFK-RDU is an actual cut
JFK-RIC is an actual cut
JFK-SAN comes back in the holiday period daily
JFK-YUL cuts a frequency and doesn't operate during the slot waiver period
JFK-YYZ still operates 2x except the slot waiver period

Not looking to get into the debate about the current status of JFK for AA but overall, its about on par with the "regular" JFK cuts every year for the slot waiver period.

What about JFK-SEA? I imagine that's an actual cut.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Rdh3e

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:12 pm

enilria wrote:
*AA AUS-JFK NOV 1.9>1.0[1.9] DEC 2>1.1[2]
*AA BWI-JFK NOV 2>1.0[0.9] DEC 5>1.0[1.0]
*AA CLE-JFK NOV 1.2>0.7[3] DEC 2>0.5[3]
AA CLT-JFK NOV 7>6[6] DEC 6>5[5]
*AA CMH-JFK NOV 1.2>0.9[0.9] DEC 2>1.0[1.0]
AA CUN-JFK DEC 2>1.2[2]
*AA DCA-JFK NOV 3>1.9[4] DEC 4>3[4]
*AA DFW-JFK NOV 4>2[3] DEC 4>3[3]
*AA JFK-LAS DEC 2>0.5[1.8]
*AA JFK-LAX DEC 12>10[11]
*AA JFK-MIA NOV 7>6[6] DEC 8>7[6]
AA JFK-ORD NOV 2>1.6[1.0] DEC 1.0>1.5[1.4] JAN 1.0>1.2[1.9]
*AA JFK-PHL NOV 1.4>0.6[1.0] DEC 5>0.8[1.0]
*AA JFK-PHX NOV 6>4[4]
*AA JFK-PIT NOV 1.9>1.3[1.0] DEC 4>1.2[1.0]
*AA JFK-RDU NOV 3>2[4] DEC 4>2[4]
*AA JFK-RIC NOV 0.8>0.5[0] DEC 3>1.2[0]
*AA JFK-SAN NOV 1.5>0[1.6] DEC 1.0>0.5[1.8]
*AA JFK-SEA NOV 1.2>0[0.9]
*AA JFK-YUL DEC 1.9>0.6[2]
*AA JFK-YYZ NOV 1.8>1.3[1.9] DEC 2>0.9[2]

December JFK goes down from 109 average daily flights to only 76 average. It's not just the holiday period that got whacked.

For example, the first Thursday of the month December 6th went from 109 departures to 73.

usairways85

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 pm

It’s worth noting that AA further cut PHL in the winter. I haven’t looked for upgauges but it looks like another 10-20 flights down from an already pared down winter schedule (350-375 flts/day)

Midwestindy

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:30 pm

YellowJ wrote:
shadez wrote:
DL FLL-NAS DEC 0>0.3[0]

Agreed, seems like a Christmas add. As it stands only full Y and J are being sold on the flights so not sure who they plan to market this too.

jeffh747 wrote:
Thank you for this report. A lot of interesting information to digest here this week! A few thoughts on this week’s changes:

1. That DL FLL-NAS flight seems pretty random. Anyone know the reasoning for it and what equipment?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... dianapolis

DL ran IND/RDU-NAS a few years ago, NAS seems like a destination they are interested in running p2p from.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Frontier14

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:12 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

KG out, OO on with new state money.

Thanks for the clarification as I had not heard that the Wyoming Aeronautical Commission has awarded their grant money to Skywest.

Frontier 14

BroadwayLimited

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
December JFK goes down from 109 average daily flights to only 76 average. It's not just the holiday period that got whacked.
For example, the first Thursday of the month December 6th went from 109 departures to 73.

usairways85 wrote:
It’s worth noting that AA further cut PHL in the winter. I haven’t looked for upgauges but it looks like another 10-20 flights down from an already pared down winter schedule (350-375 flts/day)

As a reference, FSDan earlier this year, said that this summer (2019), AA would have 85 flights at JFK, and 417 flights at Philly.
Signed up for Delta and Eastern Frequent Flyer Programs August 30, 1981.

MAH4546

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm

A lot of people read this thread weekly and put zero context into it and claim the sky is falling.

AA, until this last Saturday, had 737 Max flying as restarting in November. It has now cancelled all 737 Max flying for November and appropriately adjusted it’s schedule given the loss of that capacity. That’s it.
a.

MAH4546

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm

A lot of people read this thread weekly and put zero context into it and claim the sky is falling.

AA, until this last Saturday, had 737 Max flying as restarting in November. It has now cancelled all 737 Max flying for November and appropriately adjusted it’s schedule given the loss of that capacity. That’s it.
a.

masseybrown

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:48 pm

[quote="tAA continues to pull back in Boston. [/quote]

Maybe it's partly a MAX grounding story, but it's looking more and more like AA, UA, and WN are collateral damage in the B6-DL scramble for Boston.

RWA380

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It seems PDX fans won’t be happy and think Alaska “hates” PDX till it has the same level of service as SEA.

It has been that way for DECADES. PDX has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to SEA.

It would be more accurate to say that Portlanders got real tired of having to go to Seattle first, before going on a journey in the 70's & 80's with almost every carrier running PDX as a tag off of SEA. What you have considered as an "inferiority complex" is not accurate. Few of us want to be Seattle & just want to make journeys that do not involve a SEA stop or connection.

As the years went by after the mid 80's & AS started expanding from PDX with multiple non-stop additions, in fact adding both SEA & PDX non-stop to most all new city additions, we got real used to that process.

But as in life things do change, since the DL entry into SEA after parting ways with AS, the two top carriers at PDX are again funneling more PDX passengers via SEA again & it makes Portland travellers endure another flight that is rarely pleasent.

Both AS & DL now show 1+ hour flight times to SEA & VV, I've flown it enough to know that in air time is rarely over 30 minutes, so more congestion in Seattle is causing these "short hop" connections to be multiple hours longer than if we were SEA departing passengers.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

oosnowrat

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
DL it seems is finally giving up on SE Alaska. Didn’t they even drop to RJ’s last summer?

DL/OO service to SE AK started with CR7s. JNU was upgauged to 738s, SIT and KTN to E75s.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm

enilria wrote:

I have spot-checked a few of these and they do not appear on AS.com
They have not added enough to balance these cuts
**AS ABQ-SAN NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 0.8>0[0.6] FEB 0.9>0[0.8] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
AS BOI-SAN MAR 1.0>1.4[1.0] APR 1.0>2[1.0] MAY 1.0>2[1.0] JUN 1.0>2[1.0]
AS BOS-SAN MAY 1.0>1.3[1.0] JUN 1.0>2[1.0]
*AS BWI-SAN NOV 0.9>0[0.9] DEC 1.0>0[0.8] JAN 1.0>0[0.8] FEB 0.8>0[0.7] MAR 0.8>0[0.8] APR 0.9>0[0.9] MAY 0.9>0.3[0.9]
**AS ELP-SAN JAN 1.0>0.2[0] FEB 1.0>0[0.4] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS MCI-SAN JAN 0.7>0.2[0.9] FEB 0.9>0[0.9] MAR 0.9>0[0.9] APR 0.9>0[0.9] MAY 0.9>0[0.9] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
AS MCO-SAN MAR 0.7>1.0[0.7] APR 0.7>1.0[0.7] MAY 0.7>1.0[0.7] JUN 0.7>1.0[0.7]
**AS MSP-SAN JAN 0.9>0.2[1.0] FEB 0.9>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS OMA-SAN NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 1.0>0[1.0] FEB 1.0>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS RDM-SAN JAN 0>0.8[0] FEB 0>1.0[0] MAR 0>1.0[0] APR 0>1.0[0] MAY 0>1.0[0] JUN 0>1.0[0]
AS SAN-SJC MAR 4>5[4] APR 4>6[4] MAY 4>6[4] JUN 4>6[4]
**AS SAN-STL NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 0.9>0[0.9] FEB 1.0>0[0.9] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
AS SAN-STS MAR 1.0>1.4[1.0] APR 1.0>2[1.0] MAY 1.0>2[1.0] JUN 1.0>2[1.0]

Two guesses come to mind with Alaska's service cuts:

1) Yields aren't at the level expected. Competition on these "cut" routes with entrenched (DL & WN mainly) carriers means, "okay, let's get these planes on routes where they will be maximizing profit ASAP!"

2) Being able to re-route passengers during IRRPOS is a necessity. If WN's non-stop to SAN is canceled one day, there are other options to get passengers to their destinations. Alaska Airlines in Omaha? What are operations like for AS during IRROPS?

dangrad wrote:
XWA?

Typo? XNA maybe?

UA DEN-XWA OCT 0>3[0] NOV 0>3[0] DEC 0>3[0] JAN 0>3[0] FEB 0>3[0] MAR 0>3[0] APR 0>3[0] MAY 0>3[0] JUN 0>3[0]

XWA comes up on Great Circle Mapper as Watford, Ontario, Canada, Railway station:

http://gc.kls2.com/airport/XWA

The town itself is halfway between Sarnia and London, and is so small there is no Wikipedia article on it. Highly doubtful UA would be flying to a city without an airport...so completely agreed that it's a typo.

However, United Express has been flying DEN-XNA for many years now, so that can't be it. I'm really curious as well!

UpNAWAy

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Does the LGA perimeter rule ever sunset? Seems like most old relecs of the over regulated aviation days have been slowly fallen away. Any chance this rule goes?

JFKCMILAXFLL

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 am

Runway28L wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:
1. That DL FLL-NAS flight seems pretty random. Anyone know the reasoning for it and what equipment?

Found this routing on 12/28:

DL631 717-200 FLL 1010 NAS 1110
DL632 717-200 NAS 1200 FLL 1300

Wonder if that turn will use the plane that currently flies RDU-FLL-RDU. Could be done, of course with an adjustment to the RDU times (i.e. 730 or 800 departure from RDU, then a 1430 or 1500 return).

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:37 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
Does the LGA perimeter rule ever sunset? Seems like most old relecs of the over regulated aviation days have been slowly fallen away. Any chance this rule goes?

It's all about politics. It probably comes down to whether DL wants it to go away and how much UA would try to stop it.

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:39 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
enilria wrote:

**AS ABQ-SAN NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 0.8>0[0.6] FEB 0.9>0[0.8] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS ELP-SAN JAN 1.0>0.2[0] FEB 1.0>0[0.4] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS MCI-SAN JAN 0.7>0.2[0.9] FEB 0.9>0[0.9] MAR 0.9>0[0.9] APR 0.9>0[0.9] MAY 0.9>0[0.9] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS MSP-SAN JAN 0.9>0.2[1.0] FEB 0.9>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS OMA-SAN NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 1.0>0[1.0] FEB 1.0>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]
**AS RDM-SAN JAN 0>0.8[0] FEB 0>1.0[0] MAR 0>1.0[0] APR 0>1.0[0] MAY 0>1.0[0] JUN 0>1.0[0]
**AS SAN-STL NOV 1.0>0.1[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 0.9>0[0.9] FEB 1.0>0[0.9] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0]

1) Yields aren't at the level expected. Competition on these "cut" routes with entrenched (DL & WN mainly) carriers means, "okay, let's get these planes on routes where they will be maximizing profit ASAP!"

2) Being able to re-route passengers during IRRPOS is a necessity. If WN's non-stop to SAN is canceled one day, there are other options to get passengers to their destinations. Alaska Airlines in Omaha? What are operations like for AS during IRROPS?

dangrad wrote:
XWA?

Typo? XNA maybe?

UA DEN-XWA OCT 0>3[0] NOV 0>3[0] DEC 0>3[0] JAN 0>3[0] FEB 0>3[0] MAR 0>3[0] APR 0>3[0] MAY 0>3[0] JUN 0>3[0]

XWA comes up on Great Circle Mapper as Watford, Ontario, Canada, Railway station:

The town itself is halfway between Sarnia and London, and is so small there is no Wikipedia article on it. Highly doubtful UA would be flying to a city without an airport...so completely agreed that it's a typo.

However, United Express has been flying DEN-XNA for many years now, so that can't be it. I'm really curious as well!

Airlines drop routes because they are losing money. It's that easy. SAN can't provide connections because of its geography and that is made even worse by its proximity to LAX which has whatever few things could connect drenched in capacity (SJD/Hawaii/Asia). Without connections it is very hard to make money.

jetmatt777

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:40 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
enilria wrote:

dangrad wrote:
XWA?

Typo? XNA maybe?

This was literally covered in the first couple posts in the thread. XWA is the replacement for ISN.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

FlyingElvii

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:41 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
dangrad wrote:
XWA?

Typo? XNA maybe?

ISN is closing and flights moving to the airport under construction XWA

XWA is the new Williston Airport

N717TW

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:54 am

tlecam wrote:
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]

I'm sorta with you on AA cutting BOS. The ORD frequencies are the most interesting. UA is currently listing 8 nonstops (9 on some peak days) for sale throughout Nov. Half of them on 739s. I can't recall a time when UA had more flights and more seats between Logan and O'Hare than AA....we'd probably have to go back to the old DC-8/DC-10 days and even then AA was running their own DC-10s between BOS and ORD.

Overall, I read that:

In Nov, AA will operate 8 fewer flights per day from Logan than they did in Nov 2018 and 8 fewer than they originally planed.
In Dec, AA will operate 4 fewer flights per day than in Dec 2018 but a whopping 15 fewer than planned. Maybe AA's scheduling department forgot about the seasonal dip in biz travel in early Dec and then during Christmas?!!?

Drawing down frequency 60 days out tells me that either or both advance bookings or the PRASM on those advanced bookings aren't at the level they want and AA revenue mgmt has decided to let DL/B6 take the lower yielding fares while they chase revenue elsewhere. That's all consistent with the tea leaves around BOS vis-a-vis American.

tys777

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:59 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
enilria wrote:

dangrad wrote:
XWA?

Typo? XNA maybe?

This was literally covered in the first couple posts in the thread. XWA is the replacement for ISN.

The DL filing should be coming any week now. I'm sure they were waiting a bit for construction to progress and people will need to be reminded about the switch. Finally, Williston will be seeing some upgauging with the switch over to XWA. Watching the construction progression from the ground up has been fascinating. I know jetways were installed in the last week or so.

This will be good for that region. Any other airport was a bit of a drive and can be dicey during the winter.

cledaybuck

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 am

enilria wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

It's all about politics. It probably comes down to whether DL wants it to go away and how much UA would try to stop it.

Why would UA want to stop it? UA would love to run PS out of LGA.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

tphuang

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:20 am

N717TW wrote:
tlecam wrote:
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]

I'm sorta with you on AA cutting BOS. The ORD frequencies are the most interesting. UA is currently listing 8 nonstops (9 on some peak days) for sale throughout Nov. Half of them on 739s. I can't recall a time when UA had more flights and more seats between Logan and O'Hare than AA....we'd probably have to go back to the old DC-8/DC-10 days and even then AA was running their own DC-10s between BOS and ORD.

Overall, I read that:

In Nov, AA will operate 8 fewer flights per day from Logan than they did in Nov 2018 and 8 fewer than they originally planed.
In Dec, AA will operate 4 fewer flights per day than in Dec 2018 but a whopping 15 fewer than planned. Maybe AA's scheduling department forgot about the seasonal dip in biz travel in early Dec and then during Christmas?!!?

Drawing down frequency 60 days out tells me that either or both advance bookings or the PRASM on those advanced bookings aren't at the level they want and AA revenue mgmt has decided to let DL/B6 take the lower yielding fares while they chase revenue elsewhere. That's all consistent with the tea leaves around BOS vis-a-vis American.

Keep in mind as you watch this that AA will be easily the market leader in yield in all of these markets while flying mainline. Maybe with the exception of ORD, where they are going to be tied with UA. with the exception of DCA, B6 will be behind them on all these routes while operating the relatively high cost aircraft in E90. DL will be getting even lower yield with the high cost RJ. AA is not in these market to lose money. It will continue to dominant BOS to its major hubs.

I think a lot of these nov/dec cuts are max related. The jan/feb are simply cut back to previous year levels, so I don't consider those to be cuts.

tphuang

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:24 am

cledaybuck wrote:
enilria wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

DL with the ability to fly transcon out of LGA and the most slots available will take premium NYC traffic away from EWR. Currently, EWR is preferred for many new yorkers over jfk.

More importantly, B6 with its new york connection would not allow this to happen. At most, we will see something like in DCA where limited beyond perimeter slots are granted.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:51 am

cledaybuck wrote:
enilria wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Removing the perimeter rule would be mostly benefiting DL which has the most slots at LGA.

N717TW wrote:

Adjustments for Tuesdays/Thanksgiving/Christmas happened this weekend, bringing down the average number of flights per day. Overall BOS-ORD is 8-9x daily most weekdays in November, BOS-DCA is 12-13x daily most weekdays in November, and BOS-LGA is 14x daily most weekdays in November(however does not run at all on Nov 28th/29th, bringing down average # of flights)

It's always important that when you read this thread you see why the changes are happening, whether it is an actual reduction, or changes due to upguages, seasonal changes, or aircraft availability. Much better than taking it at face value, especially since most of the changes you mentioned aren't actual reductions.

RWA380 wrote:
November & December are the worst months for corporate travel & business oriented routes, like this loose traffic while employees take holiday time off & big events rarely happen in these months for the same reason. You'll notice in January they all but one flight, go right back to where they are before the holidays & that is because it's January & freezing outside. LOL!

Complete opposite actually, slowest months for business travel are summer(obviously excluding the week or so surrounding Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years). Busiest months for business travel are in the fall.

November & December & January fall off is more about leisure travel being low, with people choosing to use discretionary spending on Christmas/Black Friday/VFR/& Winter Break Vacations. Corporate travel is again very steady throughout the year, with the exceptions of holiday seasons and summer break.

https://www.concur.com/newsroom/article ... ess-travel

enilria wrote:
tlecam wrote:
AA BOS-DFW DEC 8>6[6]
AA BOS-MIA NOV 6>5[6]

Except it is all the shuttle routes including LGA-ORD. I think it's AA hacking Holidays to death in business markets.

:checkmark:
Excluding Holiday trims, some of these are actually YOY increases it appears
Last edited by Midwestindy on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos