Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BlueberryWheats
Topic Author

Robot with a pilot licence

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:19 am

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2214731-robot-pilot-that-can-grab-the-flight-controls-gets-its-plane-licence/

This is an interesting development. We're all aware of aircraft being converted to drone aircraft for target practice etc, but here we have a robot that has been developed that can in theory be sat in the seat of any cockpit and fly a plane, and then be removed again to allow a human to fly the plane. No avionics integration, it apparently just "reads" the instruments and manually manipulates the flight controls.

It has already passed an FAA practical test, and can take off, follow a flight plan and land without human intervention.

All very impressive, but I'd still rather a human up front.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

N766UA

Re: Robot with a pilot licence

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 pm

The picture I saw when I clicked the article is not nearly as cool as the robot I was picturing in my head...

BlueberryWheats
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm

N766UA wrote:
The picture I saw when I clicked the article is not nearly as cool as the robot I was picturing in my head...

Totally agree. I mean, it's not even wearing aviator sunglasses.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

Aceskywalker

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

All very impressive, but I'd still rather a human up front.

There's a drive among some in tech to automate out as many jobs as possible. These people believe no job, including their own is safe. Transport such as planes, trains and automobiles are low hanging fruit to these people, a few notches above secretarial work. You may disagree with this assessment, but that's the view.

If machines can prove to be as competent as humans in similar circumstances, you bet airlines will give pilots pink slips. They don't need pay, won't unionize, won't call in sick. One of the few advantages we flesh bags have is adapatibility and the ability to process novel experiences.

Cactusjuba

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:44 pm

It had it's FAA practical test, then took its first flight? Yeah right. I'm assuming it performed practical test maneuvers is all. Sounds more like catchy journalism. Your telling me an FAA inspector sat in the other seat as sole occupant and examined as this robot performed tasks that he instructed it to do on the spot? Made and understood radio calls? "Simulated engine out", find a place to land... lol.
I'm curious about the robot's own mechanical redundancy in flight. One screwed up actuator or dislodged mount due to G forces and it's over.

LaunchDetected

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:50 pm

To quote Dr. Ian Malcolm, famous mathematician:

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Caravelle lover

Insertnamehere

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:56 pm

How long until we see these boys rolling down the terminal wearing aviators flanked by robot flight attendants wearing skirts.

Luke1994

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm

But will it fly all maneuvers to ACS standards? Buy the DPE a cup of coffee? Shine his shoes?
CMEL student for now...

Dutchy

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:08 pm

And so it begins. Pilots will be obsolete in my lifetime, count on it. We will get used to automatic vehicles, why not? First for cargo airlines and after that passenger aircraft will follow suit. Pilots are just one of many who will be automated away. Not a nice thing to say on this website, but it is one I firmly believe in.

BlueberryWheats wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Totally agree. I mean, it's not even wearing aviator sunglasses.

:lol:

That made me laugh.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ParkFSI

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:38 pm

I actually recognize those flight instruments !
Thread killer

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos