Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

346fetish
Topic Author

SN Drops YYZ-BRU, to Start YUL-BRU; AC to Start YYZ-BRU, AC's 30th YYZ-Europe Route

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

YYZ-BRU dropped effective 07JAN2020

New YUL-BRU effective 29MAR2020 (5x weekly summer seasonal)

BRU-IAD goes year-round as of 20FEB2020 (4x weekly winter, daily summer)

AC new YYZ-BRU on B787-8 effective 01MAY2020 (up to 5x weekly year-round)

Sources: https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019-09 ... ms-Capital
https://onemileatatime.com/brussels-air ... tyTxLGcJIA
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated after merging threads
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

whywhyzee

Re: SN Drops YYZBRU, to Start YULBRU

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Much like OS, AC replaces the outgoing carrier, and they move to YUL

Skywatcher

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:07 pm

That will make close to 3 x daily YUL-BRU (SN/AC/TS) next summer. Will Transat drop out once AC takes over the airline?

runway23

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:12 pm

YUL is on a roll. There’s a clear trend from the Star JV to boost hub to hub flying this year.

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

Where are carriers like OS and SN going to go when AC has AirTransat and the YUL ops?

whywhyzee

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

Where are carriers like OS and SN going to go when AC has AirTransat and the YUL ops?

I'm not sure I follow, AC replaced SN and OS at YYZ, and SN/OS were moved to YUL. They aren't going anywhere.

whywhyzee

Air Canada Launches YYZ-BRU, AC's 30th YYZ-Europe Route

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm

I figured it was worthy of it's own thread, given it has some significance.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019-09 ... ms-Capital

Replacing Brussels Airlines, year round service on the 787-8. BRU becomes Air Canada's 30th European destination served from YYZ (including Rouge). While YYZ is turning into a VERY monotonous place, with AC replacing just about every other Star carrier it would seem, its still quite impressive how they have grown their YYZ hub into arguably the single strongest NA-Europe TATL hub from a single carrier point of view.

I would be curious to see if any other North American Carrier has as many flights/destinations/seats to Europe as AC does out of YYZ, I would guess no, and would like to check, however, work awaits me.

Discussions welcome to break the monotony of the afore mentioned work.

ExMilitaryEng

Re: Air Canada Launches YYZ-BRU, AC's 30th YYZ-Europe Route

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Indeed interresting development here.

Brussels Airlines is actually leaving Toronto to move its flights to Montréal (with an A330).

Air Transat and AC also have YUL-BRU flights.

Since a good bunch (the majority?) of current AC YUL-BRU passengers were connecting onward to Africa (via Brussels Airlines), I suspect AC is bound to lose some/all of those passengers.

runway23

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:22 pm

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... eb2019.pdf

Slide 92, YYZ is the largest single airline transatlantic hub in North America by capacity. YUL 6th.

runway23

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Mainline wise there aren't a lot of destinations left for AC out of YYZ to Europe now.

I'd say DUS, GVA, ARN, HAM, MOW are the only destinations I could possibly see launching being operated by a mainline widebody aircraft.

A couple of destinations still possible on 737MAX and Rouge.

whywhyzee

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:37 pm

I suspect this is a strategy orchestrated by AC between the LH group and themselves. First, AC pushed Austrian, now Brussels from YYZ over to YUL and launched their own metal service, they seem to be moving towards own metal control of Toronto, which given that they want to make it a bigger transit hub makes sense. Look at other routes, FRA is double daily AC, and only single daily LH, (AC will soon be 2x daily 77W on the route, offering over double the daily seats LH does), MUC is a year round daily flight on AC, LH is only a seasonal daily.

whywhyzee

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:42 pm

runway23 wrote:
Mainline wise there aren't a lot of destinations left for AC out of YYZ to Europe now.

I'd say DUS, GVA, ARN, HAM, MOW are the only destinations I could possibly see launching being operated by a mainline widebody aircraft.

BRU becomes the 15th mainline destination, so the split is 50/50 which is still quite a number of destinations. Note that GVA is already served, the flight is routed YYZ-YUL-GVA, but is still a direct flight, same number.

runway23

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:18 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
runway23 wrote:

BRU becomes the 15th mainline destination, so the split is 50/50 which is still quite a number of destinations. Note that GVA is already served, the flight is routed YYZ-YUL-GVA, but is still a direct flight, same number.

I don't really count YYZ-GVA via YUL as being served, you stop, have to get off and it's actually a slower itinerary than connecting onto/from other rapidair flights.
ExMilitaryEng wrote:
Since a good bunch (the majority?) of current AC YUL-BRU passengers were connecting onward to Africa (via Brussels Airlines), I suspect AC is bound to lose some/all of those passengers.

AC and SN have a joint venture. Both flights will have codeshares on each other. The decision to swap SN to YUL was taken by both SN and AC. There's clearly a need for extra capacity on the route. It really isn't an issue on what metal the African passengers fly on, as the JV is metal neutral.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:29 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
I suspect this is a strategy orchestrated by AC between the LH group and themselves. First, AC pushed Austrian, now Brussels from YYZ over to YUL and launched their own metal service, they seem to be moving towards own metal control of Toronto, which given that they want to make it a bigger transit hub makes sense. Look at other routes, FRA is double daily AC, and only single daily LH, (AC will soon be 2x daily 77W on the route, offering over double the daily seats LH does), MUC is a year round daily flight on AC, LH is only a seasonal daily.

There were rumors last year that SN wanted to cancel both YYZ and BOM.

BOM is already gone, and so will YYZ come January. Seems to me this is more than just AC’s wish. It’s more the opposite in fact. SN wanting to leave, and AC forced to take over the route, to keep its global hub at YYZ intact.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ctf12

Re: SN Drops YYZ-BRU, to Start YUL-BRU; AC to Start YYZ-BRU, AC's 30th YYZ-Europe Route

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:36 pm

My biggest question is where the 787-8 are coming from for the route. I believe most had been based at YVR this past summer servicing YVR to BNE, CDG, and ZRH, also with runs to YUL/YYZ due to the 737 max situation.

Thenoflyzone

Re: SN Drops YYZ-BRU, to Start YUL-BRU; AC to Start YYZ-BRU, AC's 30th YYZ-Europe Route

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:38 pm

AC is getting some more A333s by next summer. That should free up some dreamliners.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

westaust

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:

There were rumors last year that SN wanted to cancel both YYZ and BOM.

BOM is already gone, and so will YYZ come January. Seems to me this is more than just AC’s wish. It’s more the opposite in fact. SN wanting to leave, and AC forced to take over the route, to keep its global hub at YYZ intact.

Due to the TATL JV, YYZ-BRU must be profitable enough for them to have AC take over the route instead of SN. If there is anything, it's the best move in order to increase service out of YUL with SN instead of AC adding a second flight on that route.

intotheair

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 pm

The operating carrier is also probably a good indicator of who’s flying the route. If it’s majority Canada point of sale, then it probably makes more sense to have AC take it over.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

debonair

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:47 pm

SN will change until at least 26th of October YYZ to an A330-300. All Premium Economy passengers will receive a free upgrade into BusinessClass. :champagne:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos