Phoenix757767

Re: AA Miami mechanic arrested for sabotaging aircraft

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:53 pm

B757capt wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
At what point, would or could the FAA step in and conduct a wide scale audit of AA's maintenance program?

If so, what effect would it have on day to day ops at AA ?

This has already happened. The FAA issued public letters to AA and the joint unions about their “enhanced surveillance and auditing.” My contacts tell me the Feds are more visible than ever.

Actually they only issued a letter, they didn’t increase surveillance nor auditing. The Association actually sent a letter to the FAA asking them to increase surveillance and the FAA didn’t.

kiowa

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
B757capt wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
At what point, would or could the FAA step in and conduct a wide scale audit of AA's maintenance program?

If so, what effect would it have on day to day ops at AA ?

This has already happened. The FAA issued public letters to AA and the joint unions about their “enhanced surveillance and auditing.” My contacts tell me the Feds are more visible than ever.

Actually they only issued a letter, they didn’t increase surveillance nor auditing. The Association actually sent a letter to the FAA asking them to increase surveillance and the FAA didn’t.

What good will come from just a letter?

ilovelamp

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Interesting twist going public today. This guy may have had terrorist ties.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 99172.html

wjcandee

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 pm

ilovelamp wrote:

I'm sad to see this be the case. I think most right-thinking people were careful not to jump to conclusions based on his apparent background, and were inclined to at least contemplate his explanation that he was looking to generate some overtime. It didn't make sense that he was "negatively-impacted" by the contract situation, as he said, because while improvements in his situation are delayed until there is a contract, there were certainly no steps backwards, but I wrote that off to a reporter's misinterpretation of some nuance we didn't understand. Also, it occurred to me that in a work slowdown, overtime might be already readily-available for people who wanted to work.

So I realized that I didn't really understand his story as to why he did it, but it wasn't completely-implausible. After all, we're presuming that it isn't logical to generate overtime by sabotaging aircraft in the first place, so I wouldn't expect fully to follow his logic. And I know that people can just do surprisingly-stupid things.

But I also felt that one shouldn't be so careful not to assume anything because of his name that they overlooked the other, horrible possibility.

And while I think that the new story seems to lack any hard evidence of some kind of conspiracy, and might just be prosecutorial vituperation, I am glad that they're at least going to take a hard look at what might really be going on -- which may well be zero.

PS I never really understood what the sabotage was. Reading the clueless Miami Herald article, it sounds like he put something to obstruct a pitot tube, but even that is not clear.

F9Animal

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:40 pm

This is disturbing, and disgusting! Never once in my aviation career did I ever intentionally delay a flight! Never! This guy should be made an example of, and given the hardest sentence possible. The amount of trust we put in mechanics is huge, and this jerk put a bad name on mechanics.
I Am A Different Animal!!

strfyr51

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

kiowa wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
B757capt wrote:

What good will come from just a letter?

what good is a Letter? Send 2 mechanics out to every airplane so that Both will be signing off the airplane and the Maintenance release, Then? if something is Amiss? You can call BOTH mechanics in along with everybody Else who put time on that airplane and the story will come to light in a damn Hurry!!
There are going to be TOO Many Good Mechanics who will get tar stained by this Dimwit's Stupidity! Lock him UP and strip him of his License!!

millionsofmiles

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 am

ilovelamp wrote:

Lock him up and throw away the key. Disgusting.

...and the guy makes $9400 a month and needs a PUBLIC DEFENDER?

Something ain’t right.

NLCFFX

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm

This is another case of those who wan to draw one conclusion or another will continue to do so. But the facts will be the facts. Emotion and wishing have absolutely nothing to do with it. Sad for the industry and sad for the state of affairs in general. If he is indeed an ISIS sympathizer, we likely have much bigger problems to come. We should realize there are a small but energetic group of people who want to case harm to all americans (westerners and non-westerners) us and don't care what the consequences are to either their coreligionists or to others.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:

...and the guy makes $9400 a month and needs a PUBLIC DEFENDER?

Something ain’t right.

He makes nothing a month. That's what happens when you've been sacked and are in jail without the possibility of a Bond.
Last edited by OA412 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove reference to deleted post.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

RobertS975

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Judge felt the charges to be serious enough to revoke bail...defendant has visited Iraq as recently as this past March.

steeler83

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 pm

After reading all of the latest information on this story, this is what I'm inclined to think:

This employee is disgruntled over the labor issue with his union and AA. He's making a crummy wage (by HIS standards, altho I'd give one of my kidneys to average $9400 a month) and wanted to do something that would require him to put in extra work - soomething like disabling the flight data system causing an alarm which lead the pilots to abort the flight, return to the gate, and send the plane to the hangar so he could then perform the necessary task of undoing the sabotage so he could make his extra pay. No, I do NOT buy that rubbish in the Miami-Herald article stating he has terrorist or terrorism-related connections - he has been working as an AA employee for over 30 years!!

I really don't feel sorry for these mechanics, especially after what this guy did. This is a guy, as I said earlier, with over 30 years experience and service with AA. Given his age, I'd say he's getting close to retirement age; he could have put together a really nice package for himself. Instead, this guy really committed sabotage, and I'm not talking about the big metal tube that he worked on...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

D L X

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Judge felt the charges to be serious enough to revoke bail...defendant has visited Iraq as recently as this past March.

Umm... he's Iraqi-American. That -American part means he's allowed to travel, and that Iraqi- part means he has pretty dang good reason to travel there. There might be reasons to jail him, but that ain't it.

ual763

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:08 pm

D L X wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

Umm... he's Iraqi-American. That -American part means he's allowed to travel, and that Iraqi- part means he has pretty dang good reason to travel there. There might be reasons to jail him, but that ain't it.

Well, would the fact that he had ISIS propaganda on his phone convince you of his ill intentions? Or maybe also the fact that accompanying that video he said he wanted to kill non-Muslims?
From flying to the NOTAM office

RobertS975

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 pm

ual763 wrote:
D L X wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

Well, would the fact that he had ISIS propaganda on his phone convince you of his ill intentions? Or maybe also the fact that accompanying that video he said he wanted to kill non-Muslims?

I know many Iranian Americans as well as Iraqi Americans who travel to their native countries annually if possible. But if they were charged in the US with a felony, I would expect the judge to at least revoke all passports. Throw in ISIS crap on his electronics, I'd say that no bail was proper.

apodino

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:03 pm

If this guy was radicalized while employeed at American and did have ties to ISIS, this is very concerning, especially in bigger cities where more people who work for airlines tend to be immigrants. (Not a shot at immigrants at all).

I know they found some damning stuff on his phone, but I have a feeling not all of the facts are on the table here. The emotional response from many people in light of this new info is anger, and I get that. But I would rather look at facts first. The evidence does lead to ISIS. But was this because of him, or did others send him stuff? Lets wait for the FBI to investigate this. In the meantime, the original story about the Overtime and contract negotiations is the most plausible one, and until more evidence comes out about ISIS, I will lean toward believing the former.

bennett123

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm

RobertS975

No reason to revoke passports.

Clearly he is not getting bailed.

Let us wait until conviction before revocation.

People are innocent until proven guilty.

Etheereal

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 pm

n92r03 wrote:
I can't believe someone can live somewhere for decades and not speak the language..

Quite mind-boggling, tbh
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

D L X

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

ual763 wrote:
D L X wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

“There might be reasons to jail him, but that ain't it.” is what I said.

But with that said, I’d need to see it. Having seen what this country does to label Muslims as “connected” to terrorism, I’m not at all convinced it was propaganda or even written by isis. Is it simply an Islamic prayer? Or is it a guy being beheaded?

Anyway, we are quickly approaching non-av now.

Varsity1

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:18 am

D L X wrote:
ual763 wrote:
D L X wrote:

But with that said, I’d need to see it. Having seen what this country does to label Muslims as “connected” to terrorism, I’m not at all convinced it was propaganda or even written by isis. Is it simply an Islamic prayer? Or is it a guy being beheaded?

Did you read the article at all?

FBI to search his smartphone and agents found a “disturbing” ISIS video in which a person was being shot in the head, and that he sent the video to someone with an Arabic message asking “Allah” to take revenge against non-Muslims.

Prosecutor Maria Medetis told the judge that when federal investigators questioned Alani after his arrest on Sept. 5, he told them he had an “evil side”

the FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Force have learned that Alani lied about taking a trip to Iraq in March to visit his brother, and that he told a fellow American Airlines employee in June that his brother had been kidnapped and was a member of the extremist Islamic group known as ISIS.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

D L X

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:10 am

Varsity1 wrote:
D L X wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Did you read the article at all?

Yes. The article has been updated since my post.

With that said, there is nothing untrue about my post. It is absolutely normal to visit Iraq. Even more so if your are from Iraq.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos