Blerg
Topic Author

Adria (JP) threatened with jet impounding

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 am

Good morning,

Bad news from Slovenia whose national carrier, Adria, keeps on going from bad to worse. Yesterday's flight LJU-VIE was cancelled because Vienna was getting ready to impound the plane because of an unpaid €250 compensation to a passenger.

Seems like Adria has not been paying compensations for months now and on top of that, flight cancellations have become a common occurrence while many flights are merged. For example LJU-MUC-ZRH or LJU-SJJ-SKP.

Adria's problems started when the government privatized them. German investment fund, 4K, seems to be struggling at stabilizing the business and they have generally made extremely bad business decisions such as purchasing Darwin's SAABs or rapidly expanding before organizing their operations beforehand.

All in all, doesn't look good for them.

Source: https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/09/ad ... -over.html

andrefranca

Re: Adria (JP) threatened with jet impounding

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 am

Besides that, whenever I check their fares seem ridiculously high....
Andre F. :blockhead:

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

Wow having a jet impounded for failing an € 250,- customer compensation is bad, really bad!
Also canceling a flight because of that, is even worse! You'll have to compensate all the other customers... maybe they could have passed through passengers asking € 10,- each
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

SCQ83

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 am

andrefranca wrote:
Besides that, whenever I check their fares seem ridiculously high....

Indeed. I reckon Adria only serves the business and political community at LJU, in addition to connections in the Lufthansa Group. Ljubljana and Slovenia have a lot of potential as a city-break / bank holiday destination and with the right carriers (Ryanair, Wizz, easyJet) the market would boom.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am

FatCat wrote:
Wow having a jet impounded for failing an € 250,- customer compensation is bad, really bad!
Also canceling a flight because of that, is even worse! You'll have to compensate all the other customers... maybe they could have passed through passengers asking € 10,- each

Someone wrote that passengers were bused to Ljubljana after their flight was cancelled. Seems like Vienna tonight is also cancelled.

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Indeed. I reckon Adria only serves the business and political community

makes me think about another bankrupt airline, that begins with A and ends with ...litalia :roll: :lol:
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

SCQ83

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 am

FatCat wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Indeed. I reckon Adria only serves the business and political community

makes me think about another bankrupt airline, that begins with A and ends with ...litalia :roll: :lol:

At least Alitalia has a network of long-haul flights. But looking at Adria's destinations, the carrier is completely unnecessary. According to Wikipedia, they fly to those cities with competition already. AMS could be taken over by KLM eventually:

Amsterdam - Transavia
Paris–Charles de Gaulle - Air France

Those do not have competition but could be easily taken over by Star Alliance carriers:

Brussels - Brussels Airlines
Copenhagen - SAS
Frankfurt - Lufthansa
Munich - Lufthansa
Vienna - Austrian
Zürich - Swiss

So if Adria goes belly up, only those destinations would be potentially cut, but those are low-cost territory. Maybe bilateral in some destinations (considering some are not EU) might be an issue:

Liverpool
Podgorica
Prague
Pristina
Sarajevo
Skopje
Sofia
Tirana

konkret

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 am

According to the linked article the plane could not have been impounded as the flight was to be operated by WDL aviation.

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 am

Tirana is well served from Italy.
IIRC from Treviso, Venice and maybe also Trieste, that's a 2hr ride from Ljubljana.
Prague, not a big deal, sure you'll have a flight from VCE or VIE.
Pristina, Sarajevo can be taken over by AirSerbia
Liverpool? Unnecessary
Munich / Frankfurt are well connected by Air Dolomiti from VCE / VRN, also 3 / 4 hrs by car, but does it make sense? Maybe only for long-haul connections.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

bennett123

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:18 am

Might be better to pay the £250.

WildcatYXU

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

So the LJU - VIE flight could not be flown because of the threat the aircraft being impounded. And yet there are several JP aircraft at VIE daily. These are protected?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

N47

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:33 am

FatCat wrote:

Adria operates (or used to operate) MUC/FRA - PRN on behalf of LH, and VIE - PRN on behalf of OS.

Also, flights (OS, JP, WK, LX, TK, et al.) that land/take-off in PRN are not allowed to fly in serbian airspace as the country does not recognize Kosovo's independence. Given that most Air Serbia flights would likely depart belgrade it would be hard to image that they would land in PRN, especially given the history and recent tensions the two countries.

LJ

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 am

FatCat wrote:

Or you could have paid the EUR 250 as you now have to pay EUR 250 * number of passengers (on both inbound and outbound) + additional costs due to overnight stay of passengers. Therefore I seriously doubt this is the real reason. I would guess there weren't any passengers for both flights or they had a plane shortage and this is the one with the least amount of passengers and is relatively nearby (isn't it around 4 hours by car?).

WildcatYXU wrote:
So the LJU - VIE flight could not be flown because of the threat the aircraft being impounded. And yet there are several JP aircraft at VIE daily. These are protected?

Not only that, They should have stopped flying to the rest of the EU as one can impound an aircraft in each EU country (though I could imagine that the Slovenian courts are not that fast when it concerns JP).

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm

N47 wrote:
FatCat wrote:

Adria operates (or used to operate) MUC/FRA - PRN on behalf of LH, and VIE - PRN on behalf of OS.

Also, flights (OS, JP, WK, LX, TK, et al.) that land/take-off in PRN are not allowed to fly in serbian airspace as the country does not recognize Kosovo's independence. Given that most Air Serbia flights would likely depart belgrade it would be hard to image that they would land in PRN, especially given the history and recent tensions the two countries.

Air Serbia is not in a bad position as far as Kosovo and Metohija goes. The government gave them €5 million to base an A319 in Nis (INI) and to launch a wide range of destinations. INI management stated that some 14% of all passengers come from Serbia's southern province of Kosovo. INI seems to be developing quite nicely as it managed to maintain Swiss from ZRH and FR is launching Malta flights while Wizz Air is adding a 4th weekly from Malmo. The airport is expected to handle some 400.000 passengers this year.

So if JP does go bust, a lot of passengers from Kosovo will just switch to INI or SKP. As for O&D passengers who flew from PRN to TIA, JU flies from INI to LJU and return flights are some €40.

SCQ83

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
INI management stated that some 14% of all passengers come from Serbia's southern province of Kosovo.

Can cars with RKS plates drive around in SRB and the other way around or is there any restriction?

oschkosch

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:56 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
INI management stated that some 14% of all passengers come from Serbia's southern province of Kosovo.

Can cars with RKS plates drive around in SRB and the other way around or is there any restriction?

yes no problem.

leghorn

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
Serbia's southern province of Kosovo.

?
Is this like a Macedonia/Northern Macedonia thingy?

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 pm

leghorn wrote:
Blerg wrote:

?

Naah it's far more complex and it will end up a frozen conflict in the end. At least people from Kosovo have access to cheap fares right now thanks to Wizz Air in SKP and thanks to INI.

Pristina airport had its own share of controversies:
https://prishtinainsight.com/a-governme ... -millions/

SCQ83

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 pm

leghorn wrote:
Blerg wrote:

?

It is not comparable. The Northern Macedonia thing was just a dispute with Greece and even before the name change Macedonians could travel to Greece and the other way around. There are plenty of countries that do not recognise Kosovo: Spain, Greece, Brazil, Mexico, China, Russia... so for instance Spain does not recognise a Kosovo passport. In practice, Kosovars are barred to fly to Spain. I imagine they enter by road because it is not uncommon to read in the newspapers about Kosovars detained because of burglaries, etc. (but maybe they are in Spain on an Albanian or Serbian passport, no idea).

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi ... o-passport
https://visados.com/en/visa-for-Spain

1. Passports issued to citizens of the Republic of Kosovo, who reside in other Schengen member states that have recognized the Republic of Kosovo are not recognized by Spain.

So certainly no flights between Pristina and Spain anytime soon. Maybe with Barcelona whenever Catalonia is independent... so never. :yawn:

vhtje

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Wasn't Adria known for its generous earn on its frequent flyer programme, such that one could earn * Alliance Gold status easily with a relatively little amount of flying and spend (compared to other * Alliance carriers)?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

WildcatYXU

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:50 pm

vhtje wrote:
Wasn't Adria known for its generous earn on its frequent flyer programme, such that one could earn * Alliance Gold status easily with a relatively little amount of flying and spend (compared to other * Alliance carriers)?

I believe that's Aegean.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

MalevTU134

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:07 pm

vhtje wrote:

I believe you are referring to Aegean. Adria uses LH's Miles&More.

vhtje

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Ooops sorry, yes, I am confusing Agean and Adria. Love the font Adria uses. I hope they make it.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

KFTG

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:20 pm

vhtje wrote:
Ooops sorry, yes, I am confusing Agean and Adria. Love the font Adria uses. I hope they make it.

They deserve to exist because you like their livery?

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Slovenian aviation directorate informed JP that they could lose their operating licence in the next two weeks:

https://www.finance.si/8952235/Adria-Ai ... je?cctest&

vhtje

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:27 pm

KFTG wrote:
vhtje wrote:

They deserve to exist because you like their livery?

No, I didn't say that. You connected my two statements. They are two separate sentences. If I wanted to connect them as one thought, I would have.

vfw614

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Sort of non-news really. This has already happened to airlines such as Ryanair and Flybe who are known to disregard passenger rights and court rulings. Sometimes fed-up lawyers play hard-ball and send in the bailifffs as this is easier than tyring to collect the money owed in Ireland, the UK or, in this case, Slovenia. It is mainly to force the payment in return for a release of the aircraft.

N47

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Blerg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
leghorn wrote:
?

It is not comparable. The Northern Macedonia thing was just a dispute with Greece and even before the name change Macedonians could travel to Greece and the other way around. There are plenty of countries that do not recognise Kosovo: Spain, Greece, Brazil, Mexico, China, Russia... so for instance Spain does not recognise a Kosovo passport. In practice, Kosovars are barred to fly to Spain. I imagine they enter by road because it is not uncommon to read in the newspapers about Kosovars detained because of burglaries, etc. (but maybe they are in Spain on an Albanian or Serbian passport, no idea).

1. Passports issued to citizens of the Republic of Kosovo, who reside in other Schengen member states that have recognized the Republic of Kosovo are not recognized by Spain.

So certainly no flights between Pristina and Spain anytime soon. Maybe with Barcelona whenever Catalonia is independent... so never. :yawn:

On top of that 15 countries withdrew their recognition of Kosovo's independence and their requests to enter UNESCO and Interpol were voted down.

As for flights to Spain, seems like only BEG and ZAG can sustain year-round flights to Iberia from ex-YU. From all the newly launched routes by JU this summer, MAD proved to be the most successful.

You can smell the anti-Kosovo/Albanian sentiment from the IAF. It's comments like these that hinder any potential progress in that region which for some is the MO.

As for the Adria, its a relatively small carrier and if it goes under, its void will be quickly filled.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:19 pm

N47 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

On top of that 15 countries withdrew their recognition of Kosovo's independence and their requests to enter UNESCO and Interpol were voted down.

As for flights to Spain, seems like only BEG and ZAG can sustain year-round flights to Iberia from ex-YU. From all the newly launched routes by JU this summer, MAD proved to be the most successful.

You can smell the anti-Kosovo/Albanian sentiment from the IAF. It's comments like these that hinder any potential progress in that region which for some is the MO.

As for the Adria, its a relatively small carrier and if it goes under, its void will be quickly filled.

Please refrain from making one-sided political comments since this is an aviation forum and we do not want to go off topic.

And no, their void would only be partially filled since several destinations they serve would not be taken over by any other carrier. That means overall connectivity at LJU would go down.

aerokiwi

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:57 pm

There just aren't many carriers serving LJU from the rest of Europe. I thought LH had some ownership of Adria... no?

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:05 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
There just aren't many carriers serving LJU from the rest of Europe. I thought LH had some ownership of Adria... no?

Not only that but Wizz Air's future in LJU seems to be uncertain. I think CRL and LTN went summer seasonal though if JP goes bust Wizz Air will probably bring back CRL as there is no LCC link with Brussels from Zagreb either.

Lufthansa never had any ownership in JP.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am

More bad news for Adria Airways, since yesterday their bank accounts have been frozen.

Source: https://www.ajpes.si/podjetje/ADRIA_AIR ... aStatus=1#

readytotaxi

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 am

So now they can not pay anyone even if they wanted to.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

SCQ83

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:42 am

I wonder if Wizz leaving LJU is a way to put pressure on the Slovenian government?

They might want some Euros to open a base at LJU once Adria is gone, so they leave the airport at the time they will likely be the most needed (if JP disappears).

That is Ryanair 101 School of Public Relationships.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 am

SCQ83 wrote:
I wonder if Wizz leaving LJU is a way to put pressure on the Slovenian government?

They might want some Euros to open a base at LJU once Adria is gone, so they leave the airport at the time they will likely be the most needed (if JP disappears).

That is Ryanair 101 School of Public Relationships.

Don't think so, Wizz Air already announced that they are bringing back CRL next summer. I think Luton flights failed because there is too much competition to London.

In the end, JP won't be missed as they mostly flew to Star Alliance hubs and their regional network was mostly for transfers who will just switch to other carriers at their home airports.

smbukas

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 am

I can see two scenarios what will happen in LJU if Adria fails:
1. LJU to become LCC battle-ground for some time as it was the case in BUD or VNO. People will get access due to a lot of low fares and the passenger traffic will boom. Problem with LJU is not as big market as BUD, but its more like TLL, where LCC a/c are just too big to fill 186-230 seaters with reasonable (for airlines) fares. After the initial boom, it will end up very low-frequency service, like 3x weekly to LON, 4x weekly to FCO, 2x weekly SXF, 3x weekly CRL, 4x weekly BVA and so on. LH Group will try to keep their own frequencies but will get hurt by yield dilution: they will be pushed to reduce prices for flights via FRA/MUC/VIE/ZRH.
2. LCC will not show immediate interest and LH will replace all JP flights with their own operated flights. Problem is Swiss/LH/Austrian has cost disadvantage with current Adria operations and in some cases aircraft not fit for LJU routes. The cost will go up, revenues will stay the same for LH.

So: both scenarios are motivating LH group to keep Adria Airways alive. I'm sure LH understand that, so they keep Adria afloat for some time by wet-leasing Adria aircraft: now 2 aircraft fly for Austrian, 2 for Lufthansa and 1 for Swiss. Question if it is enough to keep Adria alive with their previous mismanagement and debt.

SCQ83

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
Don't think so, Wizz Air already announced that they are bringing back CRL next summer. I think Luton flights failed because there is too much competition to London.

In the end, JP won't be missed as they mostly flew to Star Alliance hubs and their regional network was mostly for transfers who will just switch to other carriers at their home airports.

That means nothing. Ryanair or Wizz Air add a route today and they chopped it tomorrow. Like they would care. If JP goes bankrupt in the next few weeks, that means no flights to Brussels until March. I think BRU is more unlikely to be taken over by Lufthansa Group than ZRH/VIE/FRA/MUC: it is a smaller hub (fewer connections), SN is a smaller carrier and Brussels is a much longer flight. Harder to fit all of a sudden.

Wizz could move the flight back to October (or even move it to BRU-LJU; they are starting BRU-BUD) if they get some "agreement". Maybe with a few other routes/base.

smbukas wrote:
1. LJU to become LCC battle-ground for some time as it was the case in BUD or VNO. People will get access due to a lot of low fares and the passenger traffic will boom. Problem with LJU is not as big market as BUD, but its more like TLL, where LCC a/c are just too big to fill 186-230 seaters with reasonable (for airlines) fares. After the initial boom, it will end up very low-frequency service, like 3x weekly to LON, 4x weekly to FCO, 2x weekly SXF, 3x weekly CRL, 4x weekly BVA and so on. LH Group will try to keep their own frequencies but will get hurt by yield dilution: they will be pushed to reduce prices for flights via FRA/MUC/VIE/ZRH.
2. LCC will not show immediate interest and LH will replace all JP flights with their own operated flights. Problem is Swiss/LH/Austrian has cost disadvantage with current Adria operations and in some cases aircraft not fit for LJU routes. The cost will go up, revenues will stay the same for LH.

I think both scenarios are possible at the same time. LJU has the advantage that it could capture traffic from Trieste (although TRS has some Ryanair routes), Zagreb (few low-cost routes) and Carinthia.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:37 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

That means nothing. Ryanair or Wizz Air add a route today and they chopped it tomorrow. Like they would care. If JP goes bankrupt in the next few weeks, that means no flights to Brussels until March. I think BRU is more unlikely to be taken over by Lufthansa Group than ZRH/VIE/FRA/MUC: it is a smaller hub (fewer connections), SN is a smaller carrier and Brussels is a much longer flight. Harder to fit all of a sudden.

Wizz could move the flight back to October (or even move it to BRU-LJU; they are starting BRU-BUD) if they get some "agreement". Maybe with a few other routes/base.

smbukas wrote:

I think both scenarios are possible at the same time. LJU has the advantage that it could capture traffic from Trieste (although TRS has some Ryanair routes), Zagreb (few low-cost routes) and Carinthia.

It actually means a lot because Wizz Air, with the exception of SKP, has done little to expand or gain marketshare in the region. Ex-Yugoslavia is not their priority at the moment as they are focused on other markets.

Don't forget that the Slovenian government already had a public call for LJU-BRU. I am sure someone like SN could apply and get funds to operate the route. Yes, I know JP got it as a lifeline but I am sure Slovenians wouldn't want to lose their link with Brussels airport.

SCQ83

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Blerg wrote:
It actually means a lot because Wizz Air, with the exception of SKP, has done little to expand or gain marketshare in the region. Ex-Yugoslavia is not their priority at the moment as they are focused on other markets.

Because ex-Yu countries are very protective of their national carriers (Air Serbia, Croatia, Adria). It is overall not a competitive environment in markets that are usually quite small. That is why also Ryanair doesn't have a big presence other than airports where local carriers are not present or have only a few routes (Banja Luka, Zadar, Pula, etc.)

Blerg wrote:
Don't forget that the Slovenian government already had a public call for LJU-BRU. I am sure someone like SN could apply and get funds to operate the route. Yes, I know JP got it as a lifeline but I am sure Slovenians wouldn't want to lose their link with Brussels airport.

As for SN they could apply but I wonder why they don't fly then to a place like Larnaca (which also doubles as a tourism destination for Belgians) and Ryanair took charge of that PSO. It doesn't look like SN is crazy about flying to every other EU capital. For instance they don't fly to Bucharest, Sofia, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn or Bratislava.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Because ex-Yu countries are very protective of their national carriers (Air Serbia, Croatia, Adria). It is overall not a competitive environment in markets that are usually quite small. That is why also Ryanair doesn't have a big presence other than airports where local carriers are not present or have only a few routes (Banja Luka, Zadar, Pula, etc.)

Blerg wrote:

As for SN they could apply but I wonder why they don't fly then to a place like Larnaca (which also doubles as a tourism destination for Belgians) and Ryanair took charge of that PSO. It doesn't look like SN is crazy about flying to every other EU capital. For instance they don't fly to Bucharest, Sofia, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn or Bratislava.

Well the Serbian government isn't doing much to protect JU. If they were then they would have revoked W6's operating permit in Serbia and would have forced them to get a Serbian AOC. There is an Open Skies Agreement in place so Wizz Air is free to add flights as they please, they just chose not to. There was no one on BEG-BCN for years, it was a market that they ignored until Vueling launched flights and then Air Serbia this summer. They missed their opportunity with Berlin as well where easyJet beat them to it. There are many similar examples like these ones. Even in INI, JU didn't launch all the flights they could have but they left some for the competition (London, Paris, Malta...).

Wizz Air feels like there isn't much for them in ex-YU and that's perfectly fine but we can't really blame local governments. In some cases it's the airport that's chasing them away as is the case with ZAG.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:23 pm

According to various sources in Slovenia, seems like two CRJ-900 were grounded due to unpaid bills. This will cause major delays and flight cancellations in the coming days.

https://siol.net/posel-danes/novice/adr ... tov-507591

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos