Adria Airways has filed for bankruptcy.

Source: Slovenian Press Agency www.sta.si

xmp125a

Re: Updated: Adria Airways grounded

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

LEJCargo wrote:
Adria Airways has filed for bankruptcy.

Source: Slovenian Press Agency http://www.sta.si

RIP. I wonder what their plan was by paying small change for kerosene and announcing 4 flights for today

TripleDelta
Screener

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

mercure1

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 pm

mercure f-wtcc

CometOrbit

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:38 pm

I have to admit a tinge of regret at Adria's demise.
They operated my first flight 53 years ago, as Adria Aviopromet, from Manchester to Dubrovnik - AY500.
It was a 6-hour flight in a DC 6B, on my honeymoon to Montenegro, booked with Yugotours - a world ago.
I can still remember the captain's name on the outward leg - Captain Popov.
I still have the tickets (issued by Dan-Air) and some useless Yugoslav (old) dinars.
Good luck to all the staff.

CDGIAD

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 pm

LX website states that due to the bankruptcy of JP, their LUG-ZRH will be operated by train in the future, especially with the opening of a tunnel.
I thought they'd be looking for a new airline to operate the route.
Wonder what will happen to this airport after the only scheduled flights are over.

VHTAE

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Sad day another legacy airline gone. JAT, Aviogenex and now Adria all gone from the Yugoslav era.

BEG2IAH

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm

VHTAE wrote:
Sad day another legacy airline gone. JAT, Aviogenex and now Adria all gone from the Yugoslav era.

JAT is Air Serbia, it's not gone.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

VHTAE

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm

BEG2IAH wrote:
VHTAE wrote:

Air Serbia may be the current JU, however the original JAT Yugoslav Airlines is now a memory.

BEG2IAH

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm

VHTAE wrote:

Air Serbia may be the current JU, however the original JAT Yugoslav Airlines is now a memory.

You mind elaborating?
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:13 pm

VHTAE wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:
VHTAE wrote:

Well JAT was gone in 2003 when it became Jat only to be rebranded as Air Serbia in 2013. The airline is the same one that was founded almost a century ago.

JAT Yugoslav Airlines was a political project and I fear it would have ended up like Balkan or Malev.

geeek

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:33 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
LX website states that due to the bankruptcy of JP, their LUG-ZRH will be operated by train in the future, especially with the opening of a tunnel.
Wonder what will happen to this airport after the only scheduled flights are over.

There were only 8 LX flights a day with a max of 50 pax. Average based on the flights I've done to/from LUG I would say 25 pax per flight, which is only 200 pax's per day. No airport can survive on that number without being substituted.
There is quite a number of private jets visiting the airport on regular basis. There is also a flight school there.
There were quite a number of bizz pax's on the LX flights in/out of LUG, so I guess there will be more private flight in/out of it now, but the tax free shop will probably close and so will the bars around the airport.

I will miss the flights. It was a quite beautiful view from the windows as the bird never went above 8000 feet.

SCQ83

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 pm

So what happens now with LJU? It is a massive blow to Slovenia's connectivity to the world. Star Alliance connectivity at BRU, CPH, FRA, MUC, VIE and ZRH is gone. The only remaining hubs airlines are Air France (CDG), Aeroflot (SVO), Turkish (IST), LOT (WAW) and, on a more regional scale, Air Serbia (BEG). Will customers need to travel to ZAG in the meantime?

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:00 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
So what happens now with LJU? It is a massive blow to Slovenia's connectivity to the world. Star Alliance connectivity at BRU, CPH, FRA, MUC, VIE and ZRH is gone. The only remaining hubs airlines are Air France (CDG), Aeroflot (SVO), Turkish (IST), LOT (WAW) and, on a more regional scale, Air Serbia (BEG). Will customers need to travel to ZAG in the meantime?

I would also add Transavia to AMS and a summer seasonal link to HEL on AY.

LH Group will probably add some flights in the next few days, I highly doubt they will just walk away from this market.

mcg

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

I would think a reasonably well managed airline with a good alliance partner would thrive in LJU. It's pretty far from any alternative airport, it seems pretty prosperous, and there must some government demand for travel, so there would be built in passenger base. But I suppose I'd be wrong.

Phosphorus

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:02 pm

mcg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

I would think a reasonably well managed airline with a good alliance partner would thrive in LJU. It's pretty far from any alternative airport, it seems pretty prosperous, and there must some government demand for travel, so there would be built in passenger base. But I suppose I'd be wrong.

If LH Group bites the bullet, and agrees to run twice-thrice daily flights either to MUC or to VIE for some time, initial losses be damned -- just to assert its reliable presence, this will cover business/government traffic nicely. Customers will get used to inevitability of transfers in MUC and/or VIE. At that point, all hope to re-establish a locally focused carrier, reliant on any premium traffic, will be lost. IMHO.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

stylo777

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:34 pm

I agree, LH Group will probably try to establish the LJU routes again, but they need to shift around a bit since all timetables (LH, LX, OS) are rather stretched.
On the other hand, they have the right (regional) equipment based at their 4 hubs to start "small" and see how the market grows:
FRA: Cityline CR9 and E90
MUC: Cityline CR9, E95 and Air Dolomiti E95
ZRH: LX CS1/3 and Helvetic E90
VIE: OS DH8 (currently in phase-out though...) and E95

VHTAE

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:09 pm

BEG2IAH wrote:
VHTAE wrote:

You mind elaborating?

I understand your comment and I agree, what I should’ve mentioned was the branding. As I said Air Serbia is still JU (ex JAT) but the name JAT Yugoslav Airlines as we knew it as a brand and product is no longer.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:09 am

stylo777 wrote:
I agree, LH Group will probably try to establish the LJU routes again, but they need to shift around a bit since all timetables (LH, LX, OS) are rather stretched.
On the other hand, they have the right (regional) equipment based at their 4 hubs to start "small" and see how the market grows:

I think the market might be too small for Austrian Airlines. In Q1 2019 JP operated 2 daily flights to Vienna and had on average 37 passengers per flight. That would be a disastrous load on the Q400, even more so on the E95. I suppose LH Group would stick to MUC, FRA and maybe ZRH.

MrGtheSheepA346

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:56 am

Why didn't the LH Group purchase Adria since Adria had a considerable Balkan network and even hubs in Pristina and Tirana? Or was Austrian the airline assigned to the Balkans within LH Group?

runway23

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

MrGtheSheepA346 wrote:
Why didn't the LH Group purchase Adria since Adria had a considerable Balkan network and even hubs in Pristina and Tirana? Or was Austrian the airline assigned to the Balkans within LH Group?

Why buy a company full of debt that flies pretty much exclusively to LH Group hubs or flies for you when you can replace it with your own metal.

andrefranca

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:31 am

CometOrbit wrote:
I have to admit a tinge of regret at Adria's demise.
They operated my first flight 53 years ago, as Adria Aviopromet, from Manchester to Dubrovnik - AY500.
It was a 6-hour flight in a DC 6B, on my honeymoon to Montenegro, booked with Yugotours - a world ago.
I can still remember the captain's name on the outward leg - Captain Popov.
I still have the tickets (issued by Dan-Air) and some useless Yugoslav (old) dinars.
Good luck to all the staff.

I hear you :cry: but these days if you charge too high your customers will fly somewhere else.... not saying this was their only issue...

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 am

Wow. First we lost Thomas Cook and now this? there have been many airlines in Europe has been stopped flying before and it was airlines like Air Berlin, OLT, XL Airways, Monarch and others. Is European aviation still on crisis?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

LEJCargo

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am

Brussels Airlines has announced BRU-LJU flights. 6x weekly on A319.

Source: https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... a-slovenia

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 am

LEJCargo wrote:

I'm really curious to see how this route performs. Somehow I feel an A319 might be too much capacity especially in winter.

debonair

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 am

LEJCargo wrote:

The route is a perfect "air bridge" for the government; a shuttle for the members of the European Parliament. I guess that Slovenia will generously support the new route, either direct through state aid or indirect by buying a large number of seats on every flight.

Someone83

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 am

SQ789 wrote:
Wow. First we lost Thomas Cook and now this? there have been many airlines in Europe has been stopped flying before and it was airlines like Air Berlin, OLT, XL Airways, Monarch and others. Is European aviation still on crisis?

Not a crisis at all. Just the market forces cleaning out the weak and vulnerable carriers

Someone83

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:32 am

LEJCargo wrote:

Expect we soon see something from Lufthansa, replacing their feed into FRA?

MrGtheSheepA346

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:58 pm

runway23 wrote:
MrGtheSheepA346 wrote:

Why buy a company full of debt that flies pretty much exclusively to LH Group hubs or flies for you when you can replace it with your own metal.

Because you wouldn't need your own metal after clearing the debt since Adria already flies pretty much exclusively to LH Group hubs. The network is already there.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Blerg wrote:
LEJCargo wrote:

I'm really curious to see how this route performs. Somehow I feel an A319 might be too much capacity especially in winter.

Brussels Airlines usually has competitive prices. I have flown with them for 40 or 50 EUR to other Euro cities. Which would have been impossible with Adria.

Also given that SN is much better known in Belgium. So it can definitely stimulate city-break / tourism traffic from the BRU side.

artflyer

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
LEJCargo wrote:

Brussels Airlines usually has competitive prices. I have flown with them for 40 or 50 EUR to other Euro cities. Which would have been impossible with Adria.

Also given that SN is much better known in Belgium. So it can definitely stimulate city-break / tourism traffic from the BRU side.

What does it mean competitive prices if following Adria's demise there is and can be no competition whatsoever on this route.

And at the same time there is a fixed demand (government/EU officials).

I would expect the prices to skyrocket, except for tickets sold much in advance and thus targeted at a different client.

Toinou

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

geeek wrote:
CDGIAD wrote:

There were only 8 LX flights a day with a max of 50 pax. Average based on the flights I've done to/from LUG I would say 25 pax per flight, which is only 200 pax's per day. No airport can survive on that number without being substituted.
There is quite a number of private jets visiting the airport on regular basis. There is also a flight school there.
There were quite a number of bizz pax's on the LX flights in/out of LUG, so I guess there will be more private flight in/out of it now, but the tax free shop will probably close and so will the bars around the airport.

I will miss the flights. It was a quite beautiful view from the windows as the bird never went above 8000 feet.

While I agree on everything you wrote, I think you underestimate the near-obsession the city of Lugano has to have an airport with commercial flights. They convinced themselves that it is vital to there economy (read financial sector) and that they cannot at any cost have to go to Zurich or Milan (which are seen as the rivals).

stylo777

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Obsession, wishful thinking or real business requirement; unless the route (ZRH-LUG) is not subsidized financially or a qualified operator for the Saab's found, LX is not in a position to continue serving the market and will permanently switch to plane-train a la ZRH-BSL.

stylo777

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

I think the market might be too small for Austrian Airlines. In Q1 2019 JP operated 2 daily flights to Vienna and had on average 37 passengers per flight. That would be a disastrous load on the Q400, even more so on the E95. I suppose LH Group would stick to MUC, FRA and maybe ZRH.

Wow, that number is pretty low and as you correctly pointed out, it would probably rule-out any flight to VIE; unless, the yields and network contributions for destinations beyond VIE are positive?!?
Btw. whats your source for the 37pax?

ewt340

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 pm

No surprise here. Their load factors was bad enough to look at. The management sucks.

oschkosch

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

debonair wrote:
LEJCargo wrote:

The route is a perfect "air bridge" for the government; a shuttle for the members of the European Parliament. I guess that Slovenia will generously support the new route, either direct through state aid or indirect by buying a large number of seats on every flight.
And SN also does a lot of flights to smaller german airports such as HAJ, HAM. So that would allow connections via BRU to LUJ.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Wow, that number is pretty low and as you correctly pointed out, it would probably rule-out any flight to VIE; unless, the yields and network contributions for destinations beyond VIE are positive?!?
Btw. whats your source for the 37pax?

It was posted on another portal by a guy who I think works in the industry. Very often he posts such numbers. Today there was a topic on another portal that LJU started negotiating with LH Group so I think they are not coming without subsidies. Will be interesting to see what happens. Somehow I doubt Fraport will subsidize all those flights JP had towards LH Group hubs. Let's see if next year LJU manages to pass 1 million passengers.

mxp

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 pm

i have a flight Friday that was to operated MXP VIE PRG with Adria CRJ900 operating for OS
Still no news about cancelletation or something others
Alberto

stylo777

Re:

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:49 pm

mxp wrote:
i have a flight Friday that was to operated MXP VIE PRG with Adria CRJ900 operating for OS
Still no news about cancelletation or something others
Alberto

(VIE-PRG) except for the 1st flight of the day very early morning, all remaining 4 flights seem to be operated by DH4.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 am

This afternoon Air Serbia is sending two fully booked Atrs to LJU, I guess they are taking over JP's passengers heading in all directions. BEG-LJU will have three flights today while the morning one will be on the 733.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Air Serbia further boosts Belgrade-Ljubljana. Starting from 27.10.2019 JU will run additional three weekly flights. Air Serbia will have 17 flights from Belgrade and another 2 from Nish.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/10/ai ... ljana.html

stylo777

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm

According to aerotelegraph.com, LH Group is about to move in as expected:
- SN flights to BRU already announced
- LH flights to FRA (eff. mid Oct) and MUC (eff. Nov.)
- LX flights to ZRH (eff. mid Oct)

Source (in German) https://www.aerotelegraph.com/slowenien ... -lufthansa

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 pm

I don't know why but I expected LH to send something larger than a CRJ, at least an E95.

stylo777

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:52 pm

stylo777 wrote:

slight correction to my previous post.
flights are loaded in GDS:

# LH FRA-LJU (eff. 27.Oct) with 14/7 flights, all on Cityline CR9
# LH MUC-LJU (eff. 1.Nov) with 7/7 flights, all on Cityline CR9 as well
# LX ZRH-LJU (eff. 16.Oct) with 7/7 flights and a mix of Helvetic E90 and LX 223

Also well worth to mention is that 3 LH routes out of MUC previously operated in wetlease by JP (MUC-AOI, BEG and TRS) will also switch to Cityline CR9.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:06 pm

stylo777 wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

slight correction to my previous post.
flights are loaded in GDS:

# LH FRA-LJU (eff. 27.Oct) with 14/7 flights, all on Cityline CR9
# LH MUC-LJU (eff. 1.Nov) with 7/7 flights, all on Cityline CR9 as well
# LX ZRH-LJU (eff. 16.Oct) with 7/7 flights and a mix of Helvetic E90 and LX 223

Also well worth to mention is that 3 LH routes out of MUC previously operated in wetlease by JP (MUC-AOI, BEG and TRS) will also switch to Cityline CR9.

Just a small correction, LH did not use JP CRJ out of MUC to BEG, it was from Vienna on the afternoon flight.

SRQLOT

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Few other changes to LJU.

LOT as already mentioned will add an 8th frequency to WAW on Fridays, and all flights moving from Q400 to E170-190. This winter seats increased by 12%.
AirFrance will increase frequency from 6 to 13 flights weekly. Flights moving from E170 to E190-195.
Aeroflot will upgrade from Superjet100 to A319.
Montenegro added a 5th weekly frequency.

In Polish.
https://www.pasazer.com/mobi/news/42328 ... adrii.html
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:22 pm

SRQLOT wrote:

LOT as already mentioned will add an 8th frequency to WAW on Fridays, and all flights moving from Q400 to E170-190. This winter seats increased by 12%.
AirFrance will increase frequency from 6 to 13 flights weekly. Flights moving from E170 to E190-195.

In Polish.

Few mistakes in that article, Aeroflot has been flying with the A320 to LJU for a long time now. The SSJ was supposed to initially operate the route but it was quickly upgraded. Air France announced that increase a few months ago, they did it about the same time they cut the code-share with JP.

SRQLOT

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Blerg wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

In Polish.

Few mistakes in that article, Aeroflot has been flying with the A320 to LJU for a long time now. The SSJ was supposed to initially operate the route but it was quickly upgraded. Air France announced that increase a few months ago, they did it about the same time they cut the code-share with JP.

Ok thanks. I have read recently that pasazer.com has been over dramatizing news recently with new writers so I will minimize posting anything from them in the future.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:55 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

In Polish.

Ok thanks. I have read recently that pasazer.com has been over dramatizing news recently with new writers so I will minimize posting anything from them in the future.

No worries, at least they got the LO part right. :D

SCQ83

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm

So finally it is not that bad for LJU as a whole.

The airport has got three new carriers in 1 week: Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa and Swiss. And other legacy carriers reinforcing their presence in the market. I bet for the average customer, this is a better situation than 1 month ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos