jumbojet
Topic Author

Which London Airport Should JetBlue Pick to Launch Service

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:57 pm

This article, written by Simple Flying, is based on a recent interview given by the B6 COO, Joann Geraghty. The interview is from last Thursday so there is some new information that we didnt know from before.

Joan Geraghty mentions that B6 might actually pick multiple airports when they commence UK service in 2021.

The article mentions that B6, if they decide to use Stansed or Luton, could offer connecting service throughout Europe on either Easyjet or Ryanair. However, if they did that, they would potentially lose out on the lucrative business passengers who prefer to use Gatwick and Heathrow. Some good stuff here:

https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-which-london-airport/

And the interview

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... -u-k-video

Personally, I don't think it will be two UK airports, I think she is just saying that to throw off the big US3 and their respective alliances.

Mods, obviously please merge or delete with other relevant/similar threads.

chunhimlai

Re: Which London Airport Should JetBlue Pick to Launch Service

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:03 pm

They should purchase an UK airline and rebrand as Jetblue Europe
And start their business to Europe

Based on the assumption their new UK hub should be either MAN or new airport in Scotland which replace both EDI and GLA

santi319

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

The ones that have slots, surely...

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm

jumbojet wrote:
The article mentions that B6, if they decide to use Stansed or Luton, could offer connecting service throughout Europe on either Easyjet or Ryanair.

Do Ryanair or Easyjet interline bags? If not they are valueless in this exercise. B6 isn't going to find enough passengers to collect bags, pay another fee and recheck bags to get enough connecting traffic at decent through-fares.

IMHO the article is a distraction. B6 needs to determine if they want to pay $$ for LHR slots or go with Gatwick. There's little value at Luton or Stansted. The idea of multiple airports for a carrier that doesn't even serve LON today is crazy.

Gulfstream500

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:11 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
The article mentions that B6, if they decide to use Stansed or Luton, could offer connecting service throughout Europe on either Easyjet or Ryanair.

Do Ryanair or Easyjet interline bags? If not they are valueless in this exercise. B6 isn't going to find enough passengers to collect bags, pay another fee and recheck bags to get enough connecting traffic at decent through-fares.

IMHO the article is a distraction. B6 needs to determine if they want to pay $$ for LHR slots or go with Gatwick. There's little value at Luton or Stansted. The idea of multiple airports for a carrier that doesn't even serve LON today is crazy.

LCY with the A220, obviously. :duck:

Better yet, fly to Luton and connect with Blue Air!
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

skipness1E

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Based on the assumption their new UK hub should be either MAN or new airport in Scotland which replace both EDI and GLA

What are you smoking fella?

Trk1

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Who really cares--plenty of London options at present

workhorse

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

I see a bit of a problem here.

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:47 pm

In the likely absence of LHR slots, LGW would be a good fit for them.

I'm not sure if LTN would even have enough capacity, or whether their A321s have the performance to operate out of LTN at MTOW. As for STN, I don't see it as being a very good fit with JetBlue's brand.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Blueknows

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Like she mentioned they are looking into leasing slots from partners. If you read some of the filings EU airports won’t let B6 get slots. AMS even responded telling B6 to stop trying to get slots at AMS.

Varsity1

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Blueknows wrote:
Like she mentioned they are looking into leasing slots from partners. If you read some of the filings EU airports won’t let B6 get slots. AMS even responded telling B6 to stop trying to get slots at AMS.

Wow. So much for a free market.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

airtrantpa

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

I don’t know if the same rules apply in Europe, but in the US foreign entities are forbidden in owning more then 49% of an airline, (Someone please correct me if I am wrong) so I don’t think that would work if it is the same way across the pond. Plus with Brexit happening I don’t think that would be very plausible
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

SueD

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

I don’t know if the same rules apply in Europe, but in the US foreign entities are forbidden in owning more then 49% of an airline, (Someone please correct me if I am wrong) so I don’t think that would work if it is the same way across the pond. Plus with Brexit happening I don’t think that would be very plausible

Whilst the US resists cabotage there is NO FREE MARKET !

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Not sure about EasyJet, however Ryanair doesn't interline bags.

Besides, both Luton and Stansted have their arrivals and departures strictly separated. There are no airside transfers at these airports, passengers always have to get out and back in if they want to connect to another flight.

Gatwick would be possible and would offer good feeder deals on EasyJet, however getting slots at Gatwick isn't as easy as it sounds. Certainly at peak times, Gatwick is just plain full. There are no available slots. And don't even mention Heathrow, some airlines have been on the waiting list for over a decade to get slots at Heathrow.

If it weren't for the short runway, I would say Southend might be an option. It's the only airport in the London area that isn't slot controlled, however with a runway of only 1856 meters (6089 feet) it's not able to handle TATL flights.

Blueknows wrote:

Then they should focus on airports where they can get slots, or that aren't slot-controlled. If they can't get access to Amsterdam, maybe they can try getting slots at Rotterdam or Eindhoven instead. And if it really needs to be, they can start flights to Groningen which is not slot-controlled. That way they can still fly to the Netherlands, which is way bigger than Amsterdam.

On the other hand, Brussels sounds like an airport that might let them in. There are still some slots available. Same goes for Dublin.

Bongodog49

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 pm

U2 and FR don't even allow through routing on their own flights, if you fly into one of their bases and out again on their metal it is strictly treated as two flights. so it would be a huge change of policy to allow it with another airline.
As to choice of airport to fly in to, it really would be a brave move in the early days to choose two destinations, double set up costs and then not able to offer a regular daily schedule from either airport.
Lastly the article seems to suggest that Luton is a rather better London airport than Stansted, to my mind the access to Stansted is far better, and its route into London whilst about 4 miles longer is generally less congested. .

CobaltScar

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Blueknows wrote:

And to think B6 lobbied so hard for openness on behalf of non-USA airlines and access. Guess it went unnoticed and unappreciated. Hopefully a lesson is learned on that.

And Luton? lol no, way too dangerous a area

santi319

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:30 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

And to think B6 lobbied so hard for openness on behalf of non-USA airlines and access. Guess it went unnoticed and unappreciated. Hopefully a lesson is learned on that.

And Luton? lol no, way too dangerous a area

Because no one is taking B6 to Europe seriously but A-net fanboys... not even their own employees...
Last edited by santi319 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eurowingsa320

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:30 pm

I’m pretty sure Norwegian air is selling slots at LGW because of the financial situation over there, so they could probably acquire some good timed slot pairs from them

jghealey

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:31 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Not sure about EasyJet, however Ryanair doesn't interline bags.

Besides, both Luton and Stansted have their arrivals and departures strictly separated. There are no airside transfers at these airports, passengers always have to get out and back in if they want to connect to another flight.

Gatwick would be possible and would offer good feeder deals on EasyJet, however getting slots at Gatwick isn't as easy as it sounds. Certainly at peak times, Gatwick is just plain full. There are no available slots. And don't even mention Heathrow, some airlines have been on the waiting list for over a decade to get slots at Heathrow.

Blueknows wrote:

Then they should focus on airports where they can get slots, or that aren't slot-controlled. If they can't get access to Amsterdam, maybe they can try getting slots at Rotterdam or Eindhoven instead. And if it really needs to be, they can start flights to Groningen which is not slot-controlled. That way they can still fly to the Netherlands, which is way bigger than Amsterdam.

On the other hand, Brussels sounds like an airport that might let them in. There are still some slots available. Same goes for Dublin.

Easyjet doesn't interline bags - at Gatwick you can book flights with easyJet and Norwegian/WestJet, etc. on one ticket, but you can't check bags through and instead have to use the Gatwick connect scheme (which I think is where you check your bag in again once you've collected it at bag drop). Then there's also the matter of existing EasyJet partnerships - would easyJet risk partnering with JetBlue and potentially losing Norwegian (a much bigger partner with considerably more frequency to the US)?
If they can get the slots - perhaps lease them from another airline - LHR seems a good option for them. But if they're looking to cater to passengers connecting beyond London, LGW seems more logical, whichever airline they end up partnering with.

I very much doubt they'd fly from LTN/STN, that would detract from the premium experience (that I assume) JetBlue is looking to offer; an airport with good connections to central London is absolutely essential- it's really only LGW/LHR/LCY that have this added benefit but obviously LCY isn't realistically an option

VS4ever

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
I’m pretty sure Norwegian air is selling slots at LGW because of the financial situation over there, so they could probably acquire some good timed slot pairs from them

They are not selling them I believe they are using them as security in exchange for delay on their bond payments to 2021.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

PacoMartin

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:51 pm

jumbojet wrote:
The article mentions that B6, if they decide to use Stansed or Luton, could offer connecting service throughout Europe on either Easyjet or Ryanair. However, if they did that, they would potentially lose out on the lucrative business passengers who prefer to use Gatwick and Heathrow.
So it is essentially an article that says nothing.

SeanM1997

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 pm

There are 3 remedy slots at London Heathrow from the BA/AA JV for routes between London Heathrow and New York JFK. If I was JetBlue, I would be looking at them.

The UK will also release its findings of the BA/AA JV for post 2020 operations and is likely more LHR slots will have to be sacrificed. If JetBlue can get 2 slots from there for BOS, then they would be sorted

JetBlue already have codeshare agreemebts with 20 airlines which serve London Heathrow, so if they could work with anyone for both connections and buying slots, they could bolster their Heathrow profitability

Elshad

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:57 pm

workhorse wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

I see a bit of a problem here.

Brexit will be stopped

jghealey

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:13 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
There are 3 remedy slots at London Heathrow from the BA/AA JV for routes between London Heathrow and New York JFK. If I was JetBlue, I would be looking at them.

The UK will also release its findings of the BA/AA JV for post 2020 operations and is likely more LHR slots will have to be sacrificed. If JetBlue can get 2 slots from there for BOS, then they would be sorted

JetBlue already have codeshare agreemebts with 20 airlines which serve London Heathrow, so if they could work with anyone for both connections and buying slots, they could bolster their Heathrow profitability

3 slots daily, or weekly?

Cunard

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm

3 pair of daily slots NOT weekly!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

jetwet1

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Unless they can get remedy slots at LHR, it will LGW, STN just doesn't work, I flew in there enough times in my MY days that I learned to hate the place.

I don't see connections as a high priority, the people in Mint will be heading into London, in the back pretty much the same story.

by738

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 pm

LHR > LGW>STN>LTN
Can't see them entertaining either of the last two. Slots can always be found... even at apparent fortress Heathrow.

N717TW

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I know this was intended as a joke but its not the worst idea for B6. They have started to build a strong biz-class brand around their MINT class/service and operating a MINT only A220 might actually be significantly cheaper and more profitable than trying to buy their way into Heathrow. I actually hadn't thought of this as a duel airport strategy but operating a Y-heavy 321LR into LGW or any place else and a MINT only 220 into LCY might actually let them flight out against DL/VS/BA/AA on the BOS/JFK routes. At least on BOS, they would have that route to themselves.

RWA380

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Unless they can get remedy slots at LHR, it will LGW, STN just doesn't work, I flew in there enough times in my MY days that I learned to hate the place.

I don't see connections as a high priority, the people in Mint will be heading into London, in the back pretty much the same story.

You are 100% correct. The B6 announcement made several mentions of business travelers & enhanced service levels. If the go anywhere but LHR they are wasting their time trying to capture the business market. Then they'll be just like any other narrowbody carrier on a TATL route to a secondary airport, go big or go home. I doubt B6 is interested in connecting passengers on London, it's more US-UK passengers.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

SurlyBonds

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

That's a ridiculous idea. London dominates the UK's business life and is one of only two global Alpha++ cities in the world. It is easily Europe's leading financial center. (To the extent that Brexit changes London's status, MAN, EDI, or GLA will not benefit.) The vast majority of transatlantic business flows to London.

Your idea immediately takes the most lucrative aviation traffic to the UK off the table for JetBlue. JetBlue -- as Mint illustrates -- is not a leisure carrier like Sprint or Ryanair. It needs London to appeal to its target customers.

N717TW

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Cunard wrote:
3 pair of daily slots NOT weekly!

are you sure?

The routes that were identified were: LHR-BOS(2 slots), LHR-MIA and LHR-DFW and there was also slots to be made available at JFK (as that was slot restricted as well for airlines that had access to LON but couldn't get into JFK). The rules also state that the airline must not have any other readily available access to slots (either unused slots of their own or slots from alliance partners that are also unused). Unused slots essentially means slots that are leased out. That's why UA and VS were out of the running right away (as they both were leasing out some of their slots when the deal came up) and how DL got all four initially. If nobody wants a particular remedy slot (e.g. DFW) then another airline can request it and run as a one-stop. Initially DL got both BOS and MIA. Then DL got the DFW slot and operated as a one-stop flight through ATL (DL 032 still operates on this slot). When DL dropped the MIA flight, USAir picked up the slot and ran MIA-CLT-LHR thereby allowing them to add CLT in addition to PHL to their Heathrow operation.

I believe there are two available remedy slots: one for BOS and one for MIA
I know DL folks claim they have still have the 2nd BOS slot but they haven't been running it in years. Unless VS (which isn't leasing slots out as far as I know anymore) picked up the MIA slot, that one is still out there. It would be interesting to see if DL added another BOS-LHR flight to block B6 off the route...meaning DL/VS would be running 4X a day on the route.

SurlyBonds

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm

SueD wrote:

The US should insist that any post-Brexit US-UK free trade agreement remove this restriction, thus allowing US airlines to hold a controlling interest in UK airlines.

The US is in a very strong negotiating position vis-a-vis the UK in any free trade agreement, since the UK has scored an "own goal" with Brexit and has few other realistic choices for free trade.

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm

by738 wrote:
LHR > LGW>STN>LTN
Can't see them entertaining either of the last two. Slots can always be found... even at apparent fortress Heathrow.

I very much doubt that. Some airlines have been trying to obtain slots at Heathrow for over a decade, without any success. Heathrow isn't just a fortress, it's just plain full. From early morning to late evening, there isn't a single moment another plane can be squeezed in. All capacity is 100% taken up. Add to that all the slots that have been applied for and denied and you can build three more Heathrows just to grant all of those applied slots. And that's not counting the airlines that don't even try getting in because they know it's pointless.

RWA380 wrote:
You are 100% correct. The B6 announcement made several mentions of business travelers & enhanced service levels. If the go anywhere but LHR they are wasting their time trying to capture the business market. Then they'll be just like any other narrowbody carrier on a TATL route to a secondary airport, go big or go home. I doubt B6 is interested in connecting passengers on London, it's more US-UK passengers.

True, however as said trying to get in at Heathrow is pointless. They'll never succeed in that, there are no slots. I agree it's the most desired airport, but unfortunately for them that's the case for all airlines. And an airport simply can't serve all airlines.

So they'll have to compromise and pick a slightly worse airport as the best is not available to them.

SurlyBonds

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:10 pm

jumbojet wrote:

This is a ludicrous idea. JetBlue has positioned itself as a niche business carrier with its Mint product. That will key its key differentiator on transatlantic flights aimed at O&D passengers. Easyjet and Ryanair are the opposite of Mint, even if they could be persuaded to partner with JetBlue.

Luton is a ludicrous idea. It's far from Central London and nowhere near the City or Canary Wharf in particular.

In theory, I suppose a shrewd airline could position STN as "the City's business airport" and balloon it into an alternative to LHR. It does have express rail service to Liverpool Street station, STN is scalable (and able to accommodate widebodies) in a way London City (LCY) is not. Still, this would require some very deft marketing, and I'm not sure that a new entrant like JetBlue is the airline to pull this off. Arguably, however, STN would be preferable to LGW if Jet Blue absolutely cannot obtain LHR slots.

That generally leaves LHR.

acavpics

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:39 pm

I'd say LHR because so many of their codeshare partners fly there. If they can't get slots, then it would be LGW.

jfk777

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 pm

JetBlue is going to have to make a significant financial investment in London slots, at either Heathrow or Gatwick. Who would have slots for sale ? Most slots held by financially weak airlines have been purchased by the likes of Emirates, Qatar and Oman airlines.

seat1a

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 pm

N717TW wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I know this was intended as a joke but its not the worst idea for B6. They have started to build a strong biz-class brand around their MINT class/service and operating a MINT only A220 might actually be significantly cheaper and more profitable than trying to buy their way into Heathrow. I actually hadn't thought of this as a duel airport strategy but operating a Y-heavy 321LR into LGW or any place else and a MINT only 220 into LCY might actually let them flight out against DL/VS/BA/AA on the BOS/JFK routes. At least on BOS, they would have that route to themselves.

How would that 220 be configured? All MINT-class or a mix of MINT and extra room seats? Thanks!

cledaybuck

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 pm

RWA380 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Exactly. It needs to be LHR. They are flying from BOS and JFK. If they are not flying to LHR, they start at a disadvantage.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

PacoMartin

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 am

The STN express takes between 47 and 56 minutes to London's Liverpool Street (3 miles from Canary Wharf), with trains departing every 15 minutes.
The LHR express takes 15 minutes to London's Paddington Street, with trains departing every 15 minutes.
The LGW express advertises 30 minutes to London's Victoria Station, with trains departing every 15 minutes.

In August 2018 LGW express was directed by the Advertising Standards Authority (an independent advertising regulator) to remove claims of a 30-minute journey time between London and Gatwick due to poor performance on the line.

SurlyBonds wrote:
In theory, I suppose a shrewd airline could position STN as "the City's business airport" and balloon it into an alternative to LHR. It does have express rail service to Liverpool Street station, STN is scalable (and able to accommodate widebodies) in a way London City (LCY) is not. Still, this would require some very deft marketing, and I'm not sure that a new entrant like JetBlue is the airline to pull this off. Arguably, however, STN would be preferable to LGW if Jet Blue absolutely cannot obtain LHR slots.

While Liverpool Street is within 10 minute walk of Bank of England and a numbe of other business locations , I think it would take hell of marketing with the long train ride.

millionsofmiles

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:33 am

Yeah...Stansted. That’ll work. It’s worked so well for everybody else. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

flyby519

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 am

Multiple airports is a good idea, as long as they have some level of service at LHR. They need to be in LHR.

catiii

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am

There are remedy slots coming up for export that the DL/VS monopoly currently is using. I’m sure Ed Bastiardan will fight to keep them because he doesn’t want to allow any other US carrier competition at LHR. Best to keep that a closed market and keep out competition.

hz747300

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:23 am

I'd go with Luton, Stansted or Gatwick. I think it should have good rail connections, with also decent budget bus options, and a hub for another carrier to at a minimum provide non-seamless onward connections (ie, you have to book separately).
Keep on truckin'...

lightsaber

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

This is a ludicrous idea. JetBlue has positioned itself as a niche business carrier with its Mint product. That will key its key differentiator on transatlantic flights aimed at O&D passengers. Easyjet and Ryanair are the opposite of Mint, even if they could be persuaded to partner with JetBlue.

Luton is a ludicrous idea. It's far from Central London and nowhere near the City or Canary Wharf in particular.

I would agree LHR, with the possibility of LGW.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:32 am

As most of the a.net community knows I am not a very big B6 fan but it seems like this is a fault of the EU per usual and discrimination. If B6 has enough evidence I hope they file a lawsuit.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

PatrickZ80

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 am

flyby519 wrote:
They need to be in LHR.

And that's exactly the problem, they cannot be in Heathrow. Absolutely impossible. They'll have to settle for something else, that's just the way it is.

LuxuryTravelled

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 am

Absolutely onboard with the multiple airport strategy, and is something they already do with large metropolitan areas in the US. I don’t believe connections are going to be important for them, given the capacity of the aircraft, so I don’t believe it is essential for them to be Heathrow. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up with Gatwick and Stansted
If they do have some form of co-operation with easyJet, they could provide an entry to Gatwick to them. By then, you never know - easyJet might have introduced ‘business class’...?

Jetty

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 am

Blueknows wrote:

Better be upfront about it: AMS doesn’t need B6, is full anyway and leasing slots from other airlines isn’t allowed; they can try their luck somewhere else. BRU might be interested.
Last edited by Jetty on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andy33

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 am

Super80Fan wrote:
As most of the a.net community knows I am not a very big B6 fan but it seems like this is a fault of the EU per usual and discrimination. If B6 has enough evidence I hope they file a lawsuit.

What makes you think the allocation of airport slots in London is handled by the EU? Each EU member state has its own policy affecting only its own airports.
It isn't even handled by the British Government in this case, but by a deliberately arms-length body called ACL (Airport Coordination Ltd), set up this way to avoid political interference, or allegations of interference.

Bongodog49

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 am

Super80Fan wrote:

How is any of this the fault of the EU ? B6 have announced that they wish to fly to London, they have the choice of four airports, LHR is the most congested airport in Europe and slots cost a fortune to buy, LGW is out of London and slots aren't always available at peak times, and the other two are a fair distance away and dominated by LCC's
None of the airports are controlled by the EU, three are privately owned and LTN is owned by the local council, but leased to a private operator. The one EU law possibly involved is that no EU airline can have more than 49% of its shares owned by non EU companies/citizens. For refernece the other way round the US will not allow more than 25% foreign ownership.

B6 are facing challenges seeking access to London, they are however no different to those that would be faced by the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair if they wished to access New York.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos