SueD

Re: Which London Airport Should JetBlue Pick to Launch Service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
8herveg wrote:
PacoMartin wrote:
The STN express takes between 47 and 56 minutes to London's Liverpool Street (3 miles from Canary Wharf), with trains departing every 15 minutes.
The LHR express takes 15 minutes to London's Paddington Street, with trains departing every 15 minutes.
The LGW express advertises 30 minutes to London's Victoria Station, with trains departing every 15 minutes.

In August 2018 LGW express was directed by the Advertising Standards Authority (an independent advertising regulator) to remove claims of a 30-minute journey time between London and Gatwick due to poor performance on the line.

While Liverpool Street is within 10 minute walk of Bank of England and a numbe of other business locations , I think it would take hell of marketing with the long train ride.

I don't really get the stigma that STN gets when it comes to its location/time to get to the City. LHR might be the nearest airport to London (bar LCY) and take 15 mins to Paddington. But then to get to the City, you still have to travel 30 mins by tube (lets say Paddington to Liverpool Street on the Circle line), which is the same amount of time overall than it is on the overground from STN to Liverpool Street. And surely just getting one train rather than a train and a tube is less hassle? Plus, landing at LHR in the morning and jumping on the tube in the morning rush hour - no thanks! I'd rather fly into STN any day.

To my mind the stigma is down to the Stansted Express probably being the slowest "express" service in the UK 53 minutes for around 37 miles is very slow, by comparison the train time from Cambridge to Kings Cross is only 51 minutes and 60% further. Additionally thats 53 minutes to Liverpool Street, whilst thats convenient for the financial district, its the least well positioned London mainline station for any other purpose.

Na the worst located mainline station is Paddington - Its “bearly” even in the city !

The new rail hubs are Farringdon and London Bridge .

Off at a tangent from the thread i know.

Jomar777

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am

I am not sure this is going forward any time soon unless they manage to find a way to get slots either in LHR or in LGW.
LTN is NOT dangerous as someone (rather misinformed) has written here. But it does not appeal because of its distance from London and the lack of good facilities (it has been voted one of the worst in the UK recently).
Whatever you say, STN is just too far. The train ride to the city is way too long and definitely NOT cheap. Coaches? Plenty but expect something like 2 hours journey.
Both the above would also pair them with LCC and Leisure Airlines and, depending on how they do want to market themselves, it might not be great.
LCY is impossible. BA is already struggling with their A318 Business only class to JFK. To put an A220 there would be suicidal for a startup.
I would see STN (and maybe LCY) working if they did already had a route and passenger numbers elsewhere (as a secondary option) but to launch? Until they can fly into either LHR or LGW, this will not fly (pun intended...)

peterinlisbon

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am

The London market is big enough that they don't need to rely on connections. Let passengers self-connect if they want. Jet Blue has its own connections at the US end anyway.

Pendennis

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 am

Whichever JetBlue chooses it is unlikely to be Southend or Luton; the former has a runway length of 1856m and the latter 2162m. The A321LR/XLR will not be known for its startling take-off performance; Southend is a non-starter and even with Luton's slightly longer runway, I suspect there will still be a payload hit. Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow are not constrained in this way but my experience of Stansted is not much better than I've had at Luton, certainly not premium.

TObound

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am

I get that they want to test the waters with 321LRs. I don't get how anyone justifies buying slots at LHR and flying narrowbodies to it from JFK and BOS in the long run. In that sense, virtually every other London airport is better justified. Slots are cheaper.

I personally would not rule out all Mint 221s to LCY at some point. Serves B6 core market fantastically. And unlike BA, this would be more of a flagship service for B6, with some connecting traffic feeding these service.

airbazar

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:46 pm

jumbojet wrote:
I like the two prong approach although I believe they are saying that to throw off the competition.

Sorry I have to disagree with this. They've been talking about TATL service for 3 years. That's not how you throw off the competition.
I believe the "uncertainty" has everything to do with LHR slots. It's a chicken and egg problem that they have. Slots are hard to find and expensive so they can't invest in them without the aircraft to fly the routes. But they can't invest in the aircraft if they don't have the slots to fly them to. So getting these 2 factors to align properly has to be a huge challenge, hence the 3 years of rumors, vague statements, and partial announcements.
Playing slightly in their favor however is an impending economic down turn which will see some airlines wanting to sell or lease slots at LHR.

3AWM wrote:
For prestige reasons they will probably want to operate LHR but I don't think they will do well there...

It has nothing to do with prestige. It has everything to do with revenue.
5 of the top-10 routes in the world by total revenue touch LHR. Gee I wonder why an airline would want to fly there :)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garyleff/2 ... 6139a71a31

3AWM

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm

airbazar wrote:
3AWM wrote:
For prestige reasons they will probably want to operate LHR but I don't think they will do well there...

5 of the top-10 routes in the world by total revenue touch LHR. Gee I wonder why an airline would want to fly there :)

BA generate that level of revenue because they have multiple daily wide-body flights. 2 or 3 A321s won't generate that type of revenue. B6 will find it hard to compete with BA for premium passengers because they can't offer the frequency - but it's not just about frequency BA also have regular flyers tied up with corporate contracts and their FFer scheme.

This leaves them trying to pick of price motivated buyers - from an airport that it's quite expensive to fly from both for the airport and the passenger. What they have got going for them is operating much smaller equipment they can offer a viable service from alternative airports that the competition can't offer.

tphuang

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:03 pm

airbazar wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
I like the two prong approach although I believe they are saying that to throw off the competition.

Sorry I have to disagree with this. They've been talking about TATL service for 3 years. That's not how you throw off the competition.
I believe the "uncertainty" has everything to do with LHR slots. It's a chicken and egg problem that they have. Slots are hard to find and expensive so they can't invest in them without the aircraft to fly the routes. But they can't invest in the aircraft if they don't have the slots to fly them to. So getting these 2 factors to align properly has to be a huge challenge, hence the 3 years of rumors, vague statements, and partial announcements.
Playing slightly in their favor however is an impending economic down turn which will see some airlines wanting to sell or lease slots at LHR.

It's part LHR, but also to stay secretive. Since they have to convert orders to LR or XLR + get ETOPS in order to fly to London, it's not like they can do this in complete secrecy. So when they did make the conversion, that would have had to been the time they make this announcement. And given the A321NEO delivery issues, they can't really provide a precise starting date.

So saying that they are going to London and not announcing the airport or any other destination is about as secretive as they can go. There is no advantage to them announcing which particular airport they are flying to before they are completely ready.

Also helping them now is the impending doom of DY, which will reduce the capacity in the market.

Bongodog49

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:12 pm

The thread keeps coming back to the remedy slots that were made available as a result of the BA/AA joint venture, and that there is a date to apply for them. The factor that people are failing to note is that these slots only become available if there are less than 13 London - New York (all airports) flights available on other carriers. presently I believe that VS/DL have 9, UA have 5 and DY 3. Even if DY disappear as some believe might happen, there would still be 14. These slots have been there since 2010, but never allocated as the minimum competetive flight requirement has always been met. I would doubt that any airline ever even applies for them as to do so is pointless.

airbazar

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:26 pm

3AWM wrote:
airbazar wrote:
3AWM wrote:

BA generate that level of revenue because they have multiple daily wide-body flights. 2 or 3 A321s won't generate that type of revenue.

I love a.net rational some times :) Absolutely no one is even remotely suggesting that B6 would be making a billion $$ on their JFK-LHR route.
The point I was trying to make is that there is a LOT of money to be made at LHR and that is why every airline wants to fly there and is willing to pay the high access costs. In other words, the LHR cake is huge and even just a sliver of a slice is better than no slice at all.

3AWM

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm

If you check prices to JFK from LHR they are actually cheap, even if airport charges are higher - it's a very competitive market. Stuff like parking is also more expensive - if you are getting to the airport by car there isn't much difference between LHR and LTN unless you're coming from the south.

It costs more for the passenger and more for the airline than out of an alternative airport.

Yes it's a big cake but they can still only get a big enough slice to fit on an A321 - if they can load up their A321 with cake at a different airport they'll make more money.

If you're going to buy slots at LHR that adds a lot of cost and really you need a widebody so you can carry more cake to get value.

tphuang

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm

JFK lhr flights are anything but cheap if you look at the j fares. They are ridiculously priced when compared to other business flights like JFK lax, JFK hkg or ewr sin. This is a market that really needs more competition.

catiii

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Slots...Funny conversation

I want to see progress on ETOPS first

From the POI, not much progress

You guys are hanging curtains...there still isnt a wall to install a window.

Not saying it wont happen as announced, but the lack of ETOPs progress thus far is troubling

What lack of ETOPS progress? The GMM was updated. ETOPS work proceeds in earnest and is on track.

drdisque

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Folks focusing on the JFK market are missing the mark here.

When B6 goes to Europe - it's going to be from BOS

VS4ever

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm

drdisque wrote:
Folks focusing on the JFK market are missing the mark here.

When B6 goes to Europe - it's going to be from BOS

It’s going to be from both

http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -221648594
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

richierich

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I know this could be risky but I take Joanna at her word - it may well be more than one London airport.
Obviously LHR is all predicated on B6 somehow acquiring LHR slots at favorable times. Not an easy ask. Still, we have seen airlines come and go and B6 does have some partners who might like to further stick it to the US3. Could B6 lease some slots? Perhaps. To be honest, even LGW won't be easy to get into and DL have tried to poison the market by throwing new Gatwick services starting next year. It will be interested to see if that means B6 chooses to go elsewhere or if they move full steam ahead regardless of what DL throw at them.

For the record, I also envision JetBlue operating MAN and possibly BHX/GLA services from BOS, if not JFK too. MANJFK is currently operated by two airlines, VS (using a 744 right now) and Thomas Cook (A330), and of course UA flies to EWR (B764). I know UA used to fly to BHX with a B752 for many years and recently pulled out, but perhaps B6 can make it work. Brexit may have tempered some of these plans, yes, but the UK is still a place a lot of Americans like to go to, and the British love New York and Boston (also because these are among the shortest North American flights.)
None shall pass!!!!

Blueballs

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 pm

richierich wrote:
I know this could be risky but I take Joanna at her word -

This is foolish....she doesn’t know how to do anything but lie and deceive

jfk777

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 am

Never has so been written about an A321neo LR flying into a London airport. Whichever airport it is it will be nothing surprising. Either LGW or LHR it will be.

DCAfan

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 pm

I believe LTN has real potential for B6. It is 28 miles from Central London, compared to LHR being just 14 miles away. However, the roads there are somewhat less congested so the LHR time savings may not be particularly significant in my opinion. The rail interface to St. Pancras International gets a boost when an APM service is introduced at the Airport in 2021 replacing the buses.There are now two airport lounges of reputedly high quality at LTN which should appeal to B6 Mint passengers. The "natural " catchment area for LTN for transatlantic services appears to be from North West London to the Midlands, which is a pretty sizable market. Assuming there are no serious runway performance issues, LTN looks like an intriguing option for B6 in my opinion.

3AWM

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 pm

LHR to Euston £40
LTN to Euston £50

The terminal is not flashy but as you say there are 3rd party lounges there.

Leftseatpusher

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Blueballs wrote:
richierich wrote:

And what exactly has she lied about?

Blueballs

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Leftseatpusher wrote:
Blueballs wrote:
richierich wrote:

I take it if you work here it’s at lsc?

Cunard

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 am

3AWM wrote:
LHR to Euston £40
LTN to Euston £50

The terminal is not flashy but as you say there are 3rd party lounges there.

Have you just dreamt those fares out of thin air?

LHR to Paddington £22.50 single, off peak advanced booking from £05.50

LTN to St Pancras £16.00 single, off peak advanced booking from £09.00

LTN trains terminate at St Pancras not Euston

LHR trains terminate at Paddington not Euston.

LTN airport is definitely not flashy, even after the £180 million redevelopment the terminal still looks unfinished and what has been created looks very cheap and nasty and doesn't look anything like the original artichect images.

STN is undergoing a major terminal redevelopment with a brand new arrivals terminal being built adjacent to the current terminal which will be totally transformed into the departures terminal creating an additional 140% space in the departure lounge. The current departure lounge has been totally transformed with the addition of two business lounges. A new multi story car park has been completed along with additional stands with more planned.

The terminal at STN is far superior to the one at LTN on all levels and with the planned developments it will thoroughly improve the airport experience. At least STN has airbridges whereas LTN has decided not to add any even with their recent redevelopment.

STN is situated on the affluent M11 corridor with the university city of Cambridge to the north and London to the south with easy access to Canary Wharf via the M25 situated 8 miles south of STN.

I live exactly 123 miles from STN and it takes me less than two hours to drive to the airport ''on a good day'' and I don't have a problem with that and the fact that the Stansted Express currently takes up to 53 minutes to take the journey to London Liverpool Street Station shouldn't be an issue either.

People assume that London Liverpool Street is not the best situated mainline station but it all depends on your further travel arrangements, the same could be said about STN but I believe that it is a very well situated airport with a large catchment area with the home counties and North and East London along with wealthy Essex where the airport is located.

B6 would have no competition at STN unlike LGW and LHR and I for one hope that they decide to serve the airport as their London airport of choice as it's a wise choice in my opinion.

Emirates have found great success at STN. Emirates commenced a daily B77W flight from DXB to STN in June 2018 they now fly twice daily with a B77W including First Class with the second flight commencing in July 2019 just over a year after the first flight.

I think that JetBlue could find similar success by serving STN.

As others have pointed out the runway at LTN might present problems such as weight restrictions whereas at STN that is not an issue.

There are too many positives for B6 to decide on STN compared to LTN and I honestly think that the latter won't be in the running whatsoever.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Leftseatpusher

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 am

Blueballs wrote:
Leftseatpusher wrote:
Blueballs wrote:

I take it if you work here it’s at lsc?

Nope, you're putting out a bold statement so I'm asking for an example.

dfdubflyer

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:36 am

It comes down to who they want to compete with. If they want high-fare business travellers they need to be at LHR or LGW. If they're chasing the cheapest fares they can post up at Luton or Stansted, but if I was on my company's dime there's no way I'd choose to land that far north.

I fly in and out all the time for European cheap flights and you can get to either fairly quickly, however when things go wrong you're way up there and it's very costly to get into town.

As an American in London I'd be equally happy landing at Gatwick as I find it easier to get to most of central London from LGW than LHR, however my British colleagues seem to have some ingrained anti-LGW bias I cant quite figure out.

DAL763ER

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Luton is a ludicrous idea. It's far from Central London and nowhere near the City or Canary Wharf in particular.

I agree that they should land on LGW or LHR, but I'm not sure why you think LTN is ludicrous - it's a 20 minute train ride to Kings Cross, and then another 15 mins into the City. I'd say Luton is fastest to get to out of Central London (except LCY), barring the fact the airport itself is kind of a dump.

BrianWilkes

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:25 am

Norwegian want to sell some LGW slots. Jetblue should pick them up!

VSMUT

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

BrianWilkes wrote:
Norwegian want to sell some LGW slots. Jetblue should pick them up!

They don't - they offered them up as collateral for a loan.

Andy33

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

DAL763ER wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Luton is a ludicrous idea. It's far from Central London and nowhere near the City or Canary Wharf in particular.

I agree that they should land on LGW or LHR, but I'm not sure why you think LTN is ludicrous - it's a 20 minute train ride to Kings Cross, and then another 15 mins into the City. I'd say Luton is fastest to get to out of Central London (except LCY), barring the fact the airport itself is kind of a dump.

It is indeed possible to get to Luton Airport Parkway from St Pancras or vice versa (not Kings Cross, which is across the road) in 21 minutes. But for much of the day there's just one train an hour that fast. The other trains take 30-45 minutes. And when you're at Luton Airport Parkway you're a good 10-15 minutes away from the actual airport by bus. A people-mover is under construction which should halve that transfer time. Now the selling point of Luton's train service is that it also calls at Faringdon, City Thameslink, and Blackfriars without change of train, all in the financial part of Central London, but the 21 minute trains terminate at St Pancras, it is the slower ones that continue to these stations, and obviously being further away from Luton it takes longer - 38 to 50 minutes.

DCAfan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm

The high yield transatlantic play at LTN iwould be aimed at the affluent residents in North West London that find LTN more convenient than LHR.

Cunard

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:42 pm

High Yield, Affluent aren't usually words associated with LTN Airport, even after the airport's £180 million redevelopment it doesn't attract such customers. Even the airport's ''high end'' shops in the departure lounge are either closing or suffering from lack of sales due to the airport's customer base.

B6 would be careful with their London airport of choice and they would be very wise to avoid LTN at all costs.

LTN has been voted the worst airport in the United Kingdom for the last five years but the results for this year we're announced today and great news for LTN as it has lost it's last place to BFS with LTN making second place. The airport has been improved from what it was five years ago but it's running at it's maximum capacity of 18 million pa and is not a pleasant experience at peak times.

High end, high yielding customers from north and east London can easily use STN over LTN and is just as accessible by many of those potential customers. Plus STN doesn't just serve London especially with the University city of Cambridge 30 miles further north up the M11 and the home counties and the whole of the south east of the United Kingdom north of the River Thames which includes Cambridgeshire, Essex, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk in it's catchment area.

By the time that B6 eventually commence transatlantic flights to London the new arrivals terminal will have been completed at STN with the airport's current terminal totally reconfigured as the departure terminal.

Plenty of slots at STN, a better and far larger terminal, airbridges, airside lounge's, far longer runway, railway station directly under the terminal, adjacent to the motorway network via the M11, capacity to grow further.

B6 would have a captive audience at STN and they would be able to expand their transatlantic operations from the airport without no direct competition just as EK has recently experienced.

If it's not LHR which in my opinion it won't be then I'm sure that B6 are looking at LGW but in my utter most opinion I really believe that STN is the best airport for their intended transatlantic operations to London.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos