tropical
Topic Author

Could an unpressurised passenger jet ever become competitive?

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:54 pm

I suspect the answer is no, or it would have been done already. But as technology on composite materials and advanced aerodynamics gets better all the time, could we ever reach a point when an ultralight non-pressurised passenger jet flying low becomes more efficient than the current ones despite the increased drag?

I’d imagine the weight savings could be enormous from structural issues to oxygen supply etc, and maintenance checks and the lifetime cycle limit would also be so much better...

(Mods, feel free to move this to Tech though I fear it might be too dumb a question for that forum)

MIflyer12

Re: Could an unpressurised passenger jet ever become competitive?

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Ask yourself why passenger jets don't cruise a 7,000 ft.

AirFiero

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Passenger JET? No. Jets are only efficient at altitudes that require oxygen and/or pressurization. Props, as in piston engines, yes. Turboprop, generally not so much for the same reasons.

enilria

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 pm

IMHO such a plane could only have benefits in extremely short routes like PHL-LGA or OAK-SFO. That’s a pretty small niche now.

tropical
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

I had thought it was mainly due to drag and perhaps turbulence, but I suspect you might be referring to jet engine efficiency as well?

Karlsands

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 pm

No, can’t fly below 14k without full oxygen and even at 12,500 you only have 30 mins , come on mate

Noshow

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 pm

During the times of the Berlin Wall all allied jet aircraft within the Berlin air corridors -like Pan American's 727 or BEA's Tridents- flew at only 10.000 feet because of old customs from propeller aircraft used there after WW2. Everything was intended to keep the status quo going. So nothing got changed.
Flying so low you are flying in and not above the weather and while you don't need to pressurize the cabin the engines use more fuel. Back then many flights climbed over West Germany for the final miles to their destination in order to save some fuel.

harleydriver

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm

tropical wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I had thought it was mainly due to drag and perhaps turbulence, but I suspect you might be referring to jet engine efficiency as well?

Turbine aircraft engines are more efficient the higher you go. Just to save weight on oxygen masks wouldn't be a benefit at all and you can expect smoother air at altitude for the most part so passenger comfort would be an issue too. Yes, airframes are limited to the number of times they are pressurized, or a cycle, but the fuel savings at altitude far exceed that limitation as the aircraft will be pretty well aged when it reaches it's cycle limits.
Department of Redundancy Department

dfwjim1

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:00 am

On the opposite end of things will we ever see commercial airliners flying between 45,000 and say 70,000 feet on flights over 4 hours long?

rjsampson

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:28 am

There's often a small exception to the rule...

While not a jet, a Part 121 Carrier called Cape Air placed 100 orders for a brand-new, unpressurized aircraft called the Tecnam P2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecnam_P2012_Traveller
Last edited by rjsampson on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

UPNYGuy

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 am

a prop would make more sense at that point. The human body cannot handle high altitudes where jet a/c operate most efficiently without pressurization.

WeatherPilot

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:35 am

That would be like putting a paddle wheel on an aircraft carrier.

stl07

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:39 am

rjsampson wrote:

While not a jet, a Part 121 Carrier called Cape Air placed 100 orders for a brand-new, unpressurized aircraft called the Tecnam P2012:

was about to post about good old Cape
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

CanesFan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 am

The lack of pressurization would mean that it couldn't comfortably fly any of the jet climb/descent profiles either .

Aesma

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 am

The technological advances you mention also make pressurization less of an issue. That's why plastic planes (A350 and B787) have higher pressurization.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ParkFSI

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 am

My sinuses couldn’t handle it !

LAXLHR

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 am

tropical wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, or it would have been done already. But as technology on composite materials and advanced aerodynamics gets better all the time, could we ever reach a point when an ultralight non-pressurised passenger jet flying low becomes more efficient than the current ones despite the increased drag?

I’d imagine the weight savings could be enormous from structural issues to oxygen supply etc, and maintenance checks and the lifetime cycle limit would also be so much better...

(Mods, feel free to move this to Tech though I fear it might be too dumb a question for that forum)

I think its a fine question.

There is technology coming that will turn the industry on its head.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Aesma

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 am

But the technology is rather people not taking short flights on turboprop or jets, instead using a flying car.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

klm617

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 am

One of the biggest problems would be noise no one wants a jet flying over their house at such a low altitude.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

atcsundevil

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
On the opposite end of things will we ever see commercial airliners flying between 45,000 and say 70,000 feet on flights over 4 hours long?

They certainly wouldn't be operating above FL600. Controlled airspace only extends to FL600 (in the US, anyway). That said, I don't think that flying that high is terribly practical until there's a radical redesign in how aircraft are powered. Bizjets regularly cruise at FL430/450, but even the fanciest of Gulfstreams can only manage FL510 at the highest (at least that's the highest I've personally seen, and according to a Gulftest pilot, that's their max). At least for the foreseeable future, I think that FL410 will probably be as high as commercial aircraft will go. FL420 isn't a usable altitude, so FL430 is just beyond what most commercial aircraft can manage with current tech.

tropical wrote:

I just don't think there's any practical reason for it. Having an aircraft pressurized isn't a significant additional expense. Operationally, it would be extremely limiting, and rather unpopular in any sort of commercial application. Flying below 10,000ft means 250kts max, so even if they could manage higher speeds, they'd be limited unless they could climb higher than 10K. It also limits their ability to climb above weather, so precip and icing would have a significant impact. Operating at higher altitudes means they could simply climb above. Those limitations alone would be far more costly in the long term than carrying the additional weight and paying for additional maintenance to have the aircraft pressurized.

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 am

Yeah sure, just got to upgrade a humans' lungs/oxygen consumption!
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

spacecadet

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Probably not as you generally get an inversion of the efficiency curve before that point. Not enough lift combined with not enough oxygen for the engines. So you can do any combination of three things: a) make a higher lift, higher drag wing, b) make engines that burn more fuel, and/or c) lighten the load. Any and all of those things are poor profit drivers.

We're pretty well stuck with the types of airliners we've got for a while, at least. And I don't really see any new technology on the horizon that's going to change that. It's *possible* to fly higher, or faster, or whatever. The issue is whether an airline can actually make more money doing that, either with existing tech or anything currently in development, and the answer so far is always a resounding "no".
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Silver1SWA

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:37 am

It seems a lot of people missed the part when the OP was asking about jets traveling low enough to not need pressurization.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bluejuice

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 am

WeatherPilot wrote:

The USS Sable and USS Wolverine would like a word with you outside. :)
Not biased against vacuum flush.

RJMAZ

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 am

We will definitely see unpressurized airliners in a decade or two.

Electric propulsion will be the reason why. On a multiple hour flight it is worth the effort to climb up to 30,000ft. On a very short flight the benefit of flying high is not as great. As electric aircraft will be limited to ultra short haul they may as well save weight and fly low.

The noise issue of flying low will not be a problem for electric aircraft.

Also generating cabin pressure and cabin heat in an all electric aircraft might be an issue as there is no bleed air from a gas turbine.

I expect small general aviation airports close to city centres that have strict noise curfews to open up with electric aircraft. We can then have small point to point flights between tiny airports capturing a new market often served by cars and trains. These electric aircraft can also feed into large hubs to take conventional fueled aircraft for long flights.

Nomadd

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 am

No.

umichman

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am

rjsampson wrote:

Not really an exception as it's piston-engined prop aircraft (OP specifically said jet).

JayinKitsap

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 am

rjsampson wrote:

Cessna SkyCourier seems to have a similar approach as the P2012 but in the 19 seat size. Anyone know when 1st flight is expected for the SkyCourier?

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

VSMUT

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am

RJMAZ wrote:

Electric propulsion will be the reason why. On a multiple hour flight it is worth the effort to climb up to 30,000ft. On a very short flight the benefit of flying high is not as great. As electric aircraft will be limited to ultra short haul they may as well save weight and fly low.

This. Flying the ATR on really short island hopper routes, I've found it much faster to fly at around 6000 to 8000 ft. You waste a lot of time climbing, it is much faster to just level off and rush off towards the destination at Vmo. On a short 80 mile flight, I could do it in half the time it took the competitors' CRJs. I saved a lot of fuel too.

tomcat

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 am

In today's world, the main benefit I'd see in flying unpressurized aircraft is that the security requirements for checked-in items might be relaxed. Shower gels and bottles of water might be allowed again on board. For short distance trips, we'd be back to a travel experience closer to the train experience, ie a more "hop-on, hop-off" kind of experience. It's not that unpressurized aircraft are not explosion-proof but they are more tolerant to limited energy explosions.

leghorn

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 am

If emissions taxes are introduced in Europe then low flying un-pressurised electric powered aircraft will become feasible or even highly desirable on short routes.
London for example is less than 300NM from loads of major cities.

The aircraft cabin will stop being a pressurised tube and will be more like a Gondola hanging beneath the Wings with the main landing gear slung below the Wings like on a Dash8 Q400.

Lufthansa

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 am

Short answer No.
Firstly, there's the issue of engine efficiency. As to the question about flying above 45000 ft we did it already for
decades with the Concorde and for this very reason.
Building on this, the claim of electric engines is hogwash. With all this investment into the geared turbofan and new
exotic materials, they'll be moving to biofuels or hydrogen based engines in the future. Most likely biofuels as
a lot of aircraft are designed for a 30 year service life, and liquid, or liquified gases provide a far faster turn around
than any battery will ever.

Next passenger comfort. Flying at pressurised altitudes means you can also avoid most of the weather.
Now even with a fully flat bed, its hard to sleep in bad turbulence. If an airline deliberately chose to
do this, they'd quickly lose out to the competitors for premium traffic who chose to stick with the
old technology. In short.... the idea is a step backwards.

BAeRJ100

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 am

tomcat wrote:
Shower gels and bottles of water might be allowed again on board.

That would create further complications on the security/airport side of things. You'd either need an airport/terminal to be dedicated solely to those aircraft types, or find another way to segregate those catching pressurised/unpressurised flights. Otherwise it becomes way too easy for people with nefarious intentions to get things into the cabins of those pressurised flights.

leghorn wrote:
If emissions taxes are introduced in Europe then low flying un-pressurised electric powered aircraft will become feasible or even highly desirable on short routes.
London for example is less than 300NM from loads of major cities.

It would certainly need to be limited in its range, anything of significant distance would run into a little problem called the Alps.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

leghorn

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am

For the exact same reason that the Q400 is preferred to the ATR in some other regions but if the business case is compelling and allows an ATR72 then that is what the airlines choose. An operator in the west of Europe will deploy planes with lesser abilities on those routes that suit them.

OA940

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 am

I'm surprised so few people have mentioned the natural limitations. The weather is one, and that would make diversions and deviations much more frequent. There is also terrain. There are a lot of hilly areas above 10k feet. Plus, at that altitude the plane would have to fly at 250 knots max which would bring a slew of problems. I suspect the only unpressurised aircraft we'll ever see will be turboprops on short flights.
A350/CSeries = bae

trijetsonly

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am

The only thing that I can think of in this topic would be a revival of the ground effect vehicles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Pelican

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasatel

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/22/caspian_sea_monster/

Or maybe there will be a time again where Zeppelins rule the sky? But those won't be jets me thinks.
Happy Landings

asdf

Re: Could an unpressurised passenger jet ever become competiti

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:53 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

They certainly wouldn't be operating above FL600. Controlled airspace only extends to FL600 (in the US, anyway). That said, I don't think that flying that high is terribly practical until there's a radical redesign in how aircraft are powered. Bizjets regularly cruise at FL430/450, but even the fanciest of Gulfstreams can only manage FL510 at the highest (at least that's the highest I've personally seen, and according to a Gulftest pilot, that's their max). .

You are right

Gulfstream 650
Service ceiling FL510

But they dont use it often
Only works if they are light, at the last part of the journey

VV

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Is it competitive?
Against submarines the answer is affirmative.

Palumboism

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
rjsampson wrote:

Cessna SkyCourier seems to have a similar approach as the P2012 but in the 19 seat size. Anyone know when 1st flight is expected for the SkyCourier?

There will be pressurized and non-pressurized versions of the SkyCourier with the non-pressurized version coming first.

AirFiero

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm

RJMAZ wrote:

The noise issue of flying low will not be a problem for electric aircraft.

Also generating cabin pressure and cabin heat in an all electric aircraft might be an issue as there is no bleed air from a gas turbine.

I expect small general aviation airports close to city centres that have strict noise curfews to open up with electric aircraft. We can then have small point to point flights between tiny airports capturing a new market often served by cars and trains. These electric aircraft can also feed into large hubs to take conventional fueled aircraft for long flights.

Have you *heard* an electric aircraft? Google is testing their electric whatever at my local airport. It has something like 10 electric props. It is anything but quiet. Maybe a design with larger and fewer engines *might* end up noticeably quieter, but don’t assume it. Most electric “flying car” designs have multiple engines like drones.

Edit, add link to article: https://sanbenito.com/2018/03/14/driver ... hollister/
Last edited by AirFiero on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffrey0032j

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:43 pm

The Boeing 929 would had been the closest to it.

AirFiero

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:50 pm

VSMUT wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

This. Flying the ATR on really short island hopper routes, I've found it much faster to fly at around 6000 to 8000 ft. You waste a lot of time climbing, it is much faster to just level off and rush off towards the destination at Vmo. On a short 80 mile flight, I could do it in half the time it took the competitors' CRJs. I saved a lot of fuel too.

I’d like to see the cost of these flights versus longer routes flown at typical altitudes. I’d bet it’s higher (also meaning higher fares).

One thing that doesn’t seem to be taken into account in this discussion is that the physics of flight and air density doesn’t change with an electric aircraft. The engine efficiency might not matter, but the denser air at lower altitudes is still an issue. Even my single engine airplane gets much higher true airspeed in the mid-teens. And less air resistance means better fuel consumption. An electric motor still needs to use more power to overcome the denser air, which is still inefficient. Those short flights will eat up a lot more battery power.

WN732

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Karlsands wrote:
No, can’t fly below 14k without full oxygen and even at 12,500 you only have 30 mins , come on mate

Pilots need oxygen at 12.5 and everyone needs it at 14 and above.

bigb

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
rjsampson wrote:

Not really a similar approach, the Cessna will be a turboprop unlike the Tecnam which will be a Twin-piston engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monomojo

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:23 pm

BAeRJ100 wrote:
That would create further complications on the security/airport side of things. You'd either need an airport/terminal to be dedicated solely to those aircraft types, or find another way to segregate those catching pressurised/unpressurised flights. Otherwise it becomes way too easy for people with nefarious intentions to get things into the cabins of those pressurised flights.

That's not a significant hurdle. If unpressurized electric aircraft are only used for commuter hops, it'd be desirable to segregate their facilities, if for no other reason to be able to move passengers faster by not mixing them in with long haul passengers. The faster and more convenient it is for passengers to utilize those aircraft, the more likely they are to want to use them, and the better the business case for them becomes. I could see it becoming not much different than a bus station: catch the shuttle from the parking area or hop off your transportation at ticketing, take a seat in the waiting area, and then walk straight out to your aircraft when it arrives.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Overall, I think the answer to the OP question is no for a pure jet engine with current or near current technology. Clearly possible for a turboprop (and turbo props have some advantages over piston prop engines, which is part of the reason why a number of DHC-2 Beavers have been converted from piston prop to turbo prop).

Along with the other modern options mentioned above; the Twin Otter is a 19 seat unpressurized turbo prop, with the 400 model currently in production. It's also a rugged STOL aircraft and designed to operate in arctic conditions (although a number of them are used for tropical island hopping passenger service - with or without floats). I've never heard of anyone complaining about its fuel consumption. Perhaps only because of where it is most commonly used.

Have a great day,

RetiredNWA

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Noshow wrote:
During the times of the Berlin Wall all allied jet aircraft within the Berlin air corridors -like Pan American's 727 or BEA's Tridents- flew at only 10.000 feet because of old customs from propeller aircraft used there after WW2. Everything was intended to keep the status quo going. So nothing got changed.
Flying so low you are flying in and not above the weather and while you don't need to pressurize the cabin the engines use more fuel. Back then many flights climbed over West Germany for the final miles to their destination in order to save some fuel.

That is not entirely correct. Air corridor altitudes changed in the late 70’s with the IGS operations.

Additionally, this topic is off the rails.

johns624

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:59 pm

bluejuice wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

The USS Sable and USS Wolverine would like a word with you outside. :)
You beat me to it!

SoCalPilot

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
They certainly wouldn't be operating above FL600. Controlled airspace only extends to FL600 (in the US, anyway).

Not correct. The airspace above FL600 is Class E airspace which is controlled airspace.

rjsampson wrote:

While Cape Air does have a some operations under Part 121, these aircraft will be operating under part 135.
Last edited by SoCalPilot on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbavfan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 pm

rjsampson wrote:

Yes and that is for a short hop to smaller airports. Not really meant for mainline ops at some of the airports. Not the same market needs, irrelevant to the situation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos