User avatar
JakubH
Topic Author
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 pm

BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Looking at the last 15 days, BA281 from LHR to LAX has been cancelled 4 (!) times, and is cancelled tomorrow too. This is a 789 flight.

Does anyone have any insights into why so many? I am on the flight in two weeks' time and do hope to make it... but also, wonder if it's a technical issue or rather a capacity one.

Thanks!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW281/history
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis
 
Scotron12
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Do not know specifically, but could be a knock on effect of the T1000 issues.
 
aaexecplat
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Tomorrow has to be strike-related. Not sure about the prior 4 times.
 
SMUtexan
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 pm

JakubH wrote:
Looking at the last 15 days, BA281 from LHR to LAX has been cancelled 4 (!) times, and is cancelled tomorrow too. This is a 789 flight.

Does anyone have any insights into why so many? I am on the flight in two weeks' time and do hope to make it... but also, wonder if it's a technical issue or rather a capacity one.

Thanks!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW281/history
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281



That's a good question. I had family that was booked in F on the return service of this flight, BA 282, just this last Friday the 6th. The flight was cancelled and they weren't given a reason by BA but it definitely shouldn't have been strike related. Their only option for rebooking was to take a downgrade to J on AA108. The frustrating thing about it was BA didn't contact them until a few hours before departure but the inbound 281 from Heathrow was cancelled as well so they should've been contacted a lot earlier.
 
User avatar
JakubH
Topic Author
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 am

SMUtexan wrote:
JakubH wrote:
Looking at the last 15 days, BA281 from LHR to LAX has been cancelled 4 (!) times, and is cancelled tomorrow too. This is a 789 flight.

Does anyone have any insights into why so many? I am on the flight in two weeks' time and do hope to make it... but also, wonder if it's a technical issue or rather a capacity one.

Thanks!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW281/history
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281


That's a good question. I had family that was booked in F on the return service of this flight, BA 282, just this last Friday the 6th. The flight was cancelled and they weren't given a reason by BA but it definitely shouldn't have been strike related. Their only option for rebooking was to take a downgrade to J on AA108. The frustrating thing about it was BA didn't contact them until a few hours before departure but the inbound 281 from Heathrow was cancelled as well so they should've been contacted a lot earlier.


Yes, it is cases like this when the cancellation is anticipated and where BA's operations seem far behind Japanese/Middle Eastern competitors in preempting travel disruptions. Even AA has been better about communicating flight cancellations and made rebooking attempts well-before departure in several cases.

However, still trying to figure out the reason for this very flight - I don't think other 789 have had so many cancellations, so this might be just bad loads on the route?
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis
 
Scotron12
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 am

It's not anything to do with load factor. It's because it's a 787-9 and any delay on their route network will cause cancellations on select routes.

Plus they are partners with AA so pax can be readily accommodated on AA metal if need be.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 9046
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 am

Does make you wonder why the started the route in the first place since there are so many other options available with their JV partner.
Guess BA loyalist do not like travelling on AA metal, so.....
 
musman9853
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:37 am

SMUtexan wrote:
JakubH wrote:
Looking at the last 15 days, BA281 from LHR to LAX has been cancelled 4 (!) times, and is cancelled tomorrow too. This is a 789 flight.

Does anyone have any insights into why so many? I am on the flight in two weeks' time and do hope to make it... but also, wonder if it's a technical issue or rather a capacity one.

Thanks!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW281/history
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281



That's a good question. I had family that was booked in F on the return service of this flight, BA 282, just this last Friday the 6th. The flight was cancelled and they weren't given a reason by BA but it definitely shouldn't have been strike related. Their only option for rebooking was to take a downgrade to J on AA108. The frustrating thing about it was BA didn't contact them until a few hours before departure but the inbound 281 from Heathrow was cancelled as well so they should've been contacted a lot earlier.


Honestly BA F to AA J is a significant upgrade
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Honestly BA F to AA J is a significant upgrade

Why? The food? FAs? IFE? IMO, the BA F seat is roomier.
Agree about the "net experience, pro and con"... but interested in your analysis.
 
musman9853
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Honestly BA F to AA J is a significant upgrade

Why? The food? FAs? IFE? IMO, the BA F seat is roomier.
Agree about the "net experience, pro and con"... but interested in your analysis.


maybe significant upgrade is a bit much but IMO the seat style is better, the screens arent 15 years old, FAs are excellent imo in both airlines. IMO AA's food is better, not to mention ice cream sundaes
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8517
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Sticking a 787 in between a pair of A380s is just a slot warmer anyway so I think these cancellations are purely commercial, if the loads aren’t happening on a given day they just pull the 787 and consolidate the other two and spillover goes to AA.

musman9853 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Honestly BA F to AA J is a significant upgrade

Why? The food? FAs? IFE? IMO, the BA F seat is roomier.
Agree about the "net experience, pro and con"... but interested in your analysis.


maybe significant upgrade is a bit much but IMO the seat style is better, the screens arent 15 years old, FAs are excellent imo in both airlines. IMO AA's food is better, not to mention ice cream sundaes

The IFE on BA except for a few beach fleet 777s and 747s is brand new and full of great content. There’s no way a 787 has a fifteen year old screen for obvious reasons. And no one who has experienced BA and AA premium cabins thinks AA is better, unless they like being served (I use the term loosely) by crew who hate their job and their passengers.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
musman9853
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:34 pm

cedarjet wrote:

musman9853 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Why? The food? FAs? IFE? IMO, the BA F seat is roomier.
Agree about the "net experience, pro and con"... but interested in your analysis.


maybe significant upgrade is a bit much but IMO the seat style is better, the screens arent 15 years old, FAs are excellent imo in both airlines. IMO AA's food is better, not to mention ice cream sundaes

The IFE on BA except for a few beach fleet 777s and 747s is brand new and full of great content. There’s no way a 787 has a fifteen year old screen for obvious reasons. And no one who has experienced BA and AA premium cabins thinks AA is better, unless they like being served (I use the term loosely) by crew who hate their job and their passengers.


I've only flown BA on the 747 and 777 so that's all I can comment on. The IFE is a trash system. (AA's isnt great either, but it is better). And your opinion on AA's service is not one that I share. I've had nothing but good experiences with AA. I would much rather fly AA premium than BA premium, the only exception to that is flying upper deck on the queen.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 am

Though even on the upper deck, the seat cushions are showing "cumulative compression". Not as bad as CI's 744 F seat these days (feels like bench seat springs in a 30 y/o pickup truck).
 
thaiflyer
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:24 am

The IFE on BA except for a few beach fleet 777s and 747s is brand new and full of great content. There’s no way a 787 has a fifteen year old screen for obvious reasons. And no one who has experienced BA and AA premium cabins thinks AA is better, unless they like being served (I use the term loosely) by crew who hate their job and their passengers.


Not my experience, I fly on monthly basis between LHR and BKK with the B777 and those planes are one of the oldest looking (interior wise) with the worst IFE i ever encountered on a air plane.
Posted stamp size screens which halve of the time don't work and stay upright when sitting in a exit seat.
Luckily i don't really care about that as i use my own personal IFE and the seats are much more comfortable as the new slim line seats installed in some of the newer planes.
 
Scotron12
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

Personally I would not fly BA by choice. Lots of other more "exciting" airlines are available.
 
thaiflyer
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 am

Scotron12 wrote:
Personally I would not fly BA by choice. Lots of other more "exciting" airlines are available.


Normally i would agree but unfortunately BA is my only feasible option for my travel requirements.
 
GBNWB
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 am

thaiflyer wrote:
The IFE on BA except for a few beach fleet 777s and 747s is brand new and full of great content. There’s no way a 787 has a fifteen year old screen for obvious reasons. And no one who has experienced BA and AA premium cabins thinks AA is better, unless they like being served (I use the term loosely) by crew who hate their job and their passengers.


Not my experience, I fly on monthly basis between LHR and BKK with the B777 and those planes are one of the oldest looking (interior wise) with the worst IFE i ever encountered on a air plane.
Posted stamp size screens which halve of the time don't work and stay upright when sitting in a exit seat.
Luckily i don't really care about that as i use my own personal IFE and the seats are much more comfortable as the new slim line seats installed in some of the newer planes.


BA9/10 is operated by a 3 class LHR based Rolls Royce 777. They still have the 2000 Y seat and 2006J seat. This is not the case for the entire BA 777 fleet.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2448
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am

Its actually the beach fleet 777s at Gatwick (10 abreast Y) and the SuperHi-J 747s that have the latest IFE system, its same as the A350 and better than the system on the 787, 77W and A380s. The 777s are currently being refitted with new J, W and Y seats and IFE along with a smaller 8F cabin for the 4 class aircraft.

par13del wrote:
Does make you wonder why the started the route in the first place since there are so many other options available with their JV partner.
Guess BA loyalist do not like travelling on AA metal, so.....


When do you think BA "started" flying the route? They have been flying to Los Angeles since the days of BOAC.
 
thaiflyer
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: BA281 LHR-LAX frequent cancellations

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Its actually the beach fleet 777s at Gatwick (10 abreast Y) and the SuperHi-J 747s that have the latest IFE system, its same as the A350 and better than the system on the 787, 77W and A380s. The 777s are currently being refitted with new J, W and Y seats and IFE along with a smaller 8F cabin for the 4 class aircraft.


Do you know which seats the mainline (ex LHR) B777 are getting and if they are sticking with 9 abreast?
As soon they are going to 10 abreast to the BKK route i will jump ship and use another airline.
There is no way i going to do a 12 hr flight in a 10 abreast plane.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos