LAXintl
Topic Author

Starlux announces first flight date and routes

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Starlux has announced the date of its maiden flight as Jan. 23, 2020.

Carrier will initially offer single daily roundtrip to Macao, Da Nang, Vietnam, and Penang, Malaysia.

First A321neo delivery is scheduled for November.

The airline simultaneously introduced its first cadre of 14 pilots

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3772908
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TC957

Re: Starlux announces first flight date and routes

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Interesting choice of leisure routes, for what I understood from past threads on here about them, was going to be a business traveller target airline. MFM & DAD are already well served from ICN but they'll have the PEN route to themselves.

seansasLCY

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

TC957 wrote:
Interesting choice of leisure routes, for what I understood from past threads on here about them, was going to be a business traveller target airline. MFM & DAD are already well served from ICN but they'll have the PEN route to themselves.

Starlux is based in Taiwan not Korea. These routes will presumably operate from TPE.

steex

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm

As they are a Taiwanese venture am I correct to assume that they will fly these routes from TPE? It is not mentioned in the story or OP.

patrickw421

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 pm

TC957 wrote:

You might have confused with another thread about Air Premia base in Korea. Starlux is a Taiwanese airline that will fly from TPE.

Nonetheless those 3 destinations are interesting choice. MFM has huge competition from Air Macau/BR/tigerair Taiwan with each of them flying no less than 3 daily, while PEN currently has a daily CI flight and DAD is served by Far Eastern and Jetstar Vietnam, which means they will be competing with completely different airlines in different routes.

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 pm

patrickw421 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

You might have confused with another thread about Air Premia base in Korea. Starlux is a Taiwanese airline that will fly from TPE.

Nonetheless those 3 destinations are interesting choice. MFM has huge competition from Air Macau/BR/tigerair Taiwan with each of them flying no less than 3 daily, while PEN currently has a daily CI flight and DAD is served by Far Eastern and Jetstar Vietnam, which means they will be competing with completely different airlines in different routes.

For TPE-DAD:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-23jul19/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2019/

So it'll be 5 carriers (including Starlux) soon.

steex wrote:
As they are a Taiwanese venture am I correct to assume that they will fly these routes from TPE? It is not mentioned in the story or OP.

According to some earlier news, yes, those routes would be out of TPE.

(Chinese only)
https://finance.technews.tw/2019/08/19/ ... as-formed/

The source also mention CXR, VDO (Halong Bay/Van Don), BKK (Should be next batch), CNX, HKT. Although traffic to/from Japan is large, SE Asia seems to be the primary target for now. Eventually for Japan they are planning to fly to OKA, KIX, FUK, SDJ, CTS, HKD, NGO, and NRT.

One last note? To stick it to BR, they're planning to collaborate with CI on maintenance

Also, according to this:
https://udn.com/news/story/7241/4035434 ... s-1-0-news

BKK and CEB should be next.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

OA940

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Wish them the best of luck. However I was under the impression they were planning to be more of a premium airline. These don't seem that much like premium destinations
A350/CSeries = bae

mercure1

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Per thread from 2 months ago they had acquired following route rights so far at the time:

Okinawa (OKA)
Osaka (KIX)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Sendai (SDJ)
Sapporo (CTS)
Hakodate (HKD)
Nagoya (NGO)
Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Bangkok (BKK)
Chiang Mai (CNX)
Phuket (HKT)
Macau (MFM)
Da Nang (DAD)
Van Don (VDO)
Nha Trang (CXR)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)

viewtopic.php?t=1426303
mercure f-wtcc

filipinoavgeek

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Is the Taiwanese market big enough for three large full service carriers, though? Considering TransAsia went bye-bye a few years ago (though that was more of their own fault than due to the market).

c933103

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 am

patrickw421 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

It's said that they will offer 2-3 daily flight frequency on the Macau route.
OA940 wrote:
Wish them the best of luck. However I was under the impression they were planning to be more of a premium airline. These don't seem that much like premium destinations

They said that Singapore is too far out and won't be launch until they have A350, application for starting service to Japan is a bit more complex so they'll only be launch in the second wave, and then from what I recall Taiwan's bilateral right with HKG and mainland China have been almost fully utilized already so they cannot expand toward these directions. There aren't that many premium destinations they can fly to at the beginning with A321n other than those.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Pcoder

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Is the Taiwanese market big enough for three large full service carriers, though? Considering TransAsia went bye-bye a few years ago (though that was more of their own fault than due to the market).

With only about a 23 million population, Taiwan itself couldn't obviously couldn't support three major airlines. I'd imagine Starlux will be banking on being a trans pacific hub airline.

With the growth in South East Asian economies, there will be increased demand for trans pacific flights but it will depend of where they can establish a customer base in these first few years.

TC957

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
TC957 wrote:

Starlux is based in Taiwan not Korea. These routes will presumably operate from TPE.

Oops ! my bad.....

IndianicWorld

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Pcoder wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

With only about a 23 million population, Taiwan itself couldn't obviously couldn't support three major airlines. I'd imagine Starlux will be banking on being a trans pacific hub airline.

With the growth in South East Asian economies, there will be increased demand for trans pacific flights but it will depend of where they can establish a customer base in these first few years.

There’s only so much demand that will be created though for those routes, and more competition will be on the horizon if it does grow, so it won’t be easy.

They have a significant fleet on widebodies on order too so they will have to find something for them to do, but I do wonder just how many viable options there are.

juliuswong

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:14 pm

By the look of it, CI and StarLux are now working together to poach staff from BR since the latter has been operating A321 for long time. At the same time StarLux also poached a lot of pilot and cabin crew from BR before and during recent BR strike. They also benefitted from previous TransAsia staff. He also mentioned StarLux in long term will fly to every US destinations that BR currently serves. Lolx.....You got to give it to its founder Chang Kuo-Wei!

Their first A321neo is now fully painted. What a stunner!
http://aeronauticsonline.com/starlux-ai ... ns-launch/
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:37 pm

IATA and ICAO assigned Starlux its code and callsign.

IATA = JX
ICAO = SJX
Callsign = Starwalker
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Dominion301

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:33 am

LAXintl wrote:
Starlux has announced the date of its maiden flight as Jan. 23, 2020.

Carrier will initially offer single daily roundtrip to Macao, Da Nang, Vietnam, and Penang, Malaysia.

First A321neo delivery is scheduled for November.

The airline simultaneously introduced its first cadre of 14 pilots

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3772908

Nice to see several women in the first group of 14.

c933103

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 am

patrickw421 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

TPE-DAD will also get additional scheduled service on BR by the end of the year (from Dec 21)
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

MetalNeutral

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:56 am

I somehow missed this thread entirely!

juliuswong wrote:
Their first A321neo is now fully painted. What a stunner!
http://aeronauticsonline.com/starlux-ai ... ns-launch/

Looks very much like a bizjet livery. Kinda classy and understated. Now I'm dying to see the interiors' palette.

Cheers,
MN

UPlog

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:29 pm

LAXintl wrote:

IATA = JX
ICAO = SJX
Callsign = Starwalker

Why Starwalker and not just Starlux?

bennybeddy

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:29 am

UPlog wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

IATA = JX
ICAO = SJX
Callsign = Starwalker

Why Starwalker and not just Starlux?

Based on the interview to PR of Starlux by reporter, he said the reason of callsign is from the movie ''Star Wars".

He said this is because KW Chang (CEO) hopes his airline can explore the world like "Skywalker" in the movie to explore entire universe.

Source: https://www.cna.com.tw/news/firstnews/201909210035.aspx (Article in Chinese)

jimbo737

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:43 pm

Looks like a pretty expensive head office facility. Not a good precedent for a commodity business where the goal has to be to keep fully allocated costs considerably lower than the competition.

Show. me a photo of the C suite office facilities and I’ll tell you if they’ll make it beyond 18 months.

What ever happened to starting small, becoming profitable and then growing? Hasn’t Norwegian taught anybody anything?

I sure hope the new shiny iron is crewed by pilots with more than a years flight training......

T4thH

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Sam Chui has some new information and first pictures of the cabin design/seats by BMW, uniforms e.g.
First A321Neo will be delivered end of this month. Start of operation 23-Jan-2019.
https://samchui.com/2019/10/05/starlux-airlines-to-launch-flights-in-early-2020/#.XZn6ivkzZnI

trex8

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:10 pm

The want A330 neos??? -800s or -900s??
"K.W. Chang, Founder and Chairman of STARLUX, also indicates that the airline has the intention to buy Airbus A330neo’s."

questions

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 pm

T4thH wrote:
Sam Chui has some new information and first pictures of the cabin design/seats by BMW, uniforms e.g.
First A321Neo will be delivered end of this month. Start of operation 23-Jan-2019.
https://samchui.com/2019/10/05/starlux-airlines-to-launch-flights-in-early-2020/#.XZn6ivkzZnI

As far as the uniforms, I really like the simple, stylish, modern design.

So glad to see the guys don’t have to wear a tie and their suit jacket does not have a pocket square!

aemoreira1981

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:36 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:

GE had been around for 65 years, and it was two ATR crashes that did them in. I do believe that Taiwan can support 3 carriers...as Starlux is going to be regional first.

filipinoavgeek

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:54 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

GE had been around for 65 years, and it was two ATR crashes that did them in. I do believe that Taiwan can support 3 carriers...as Starlux is going to be regional first.

If I recall correctly, while the ATR crashes helped kill TransAsia, it was the launch (and subsequent failure) of V Air that really did them in. If it weren't for V Air, there was a chance that TransAsia would have survived even with the crashes.

juliuswong

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:35 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

If I recall correctly, while the ATR crashes helped kill TransAsia, it was the launch (and subsequent failure) of V Air that really did them in. If it weren't for V Air, there was a chance that TransAsia would have survived even with the crashes.

Not really. The overexpansion of TransAsia mainline service by inducting A333ceo operation and purchase of A338neo combined with the two crashes and V Air introduction killed TransAsia. Their finance was stretched thin due to new aircraft purchase and new lease and compensation to crash victim. The public perception of TransAsia collapsed overnight after first crash. The second helped speed up their ultimate death. The news about their incompetent pilot was made known later worsened their PR.

OK, sorry for straying off course, back to the topic.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

DWC

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

1) With 24 million, Taiwan are nearly three times the size of the UAE (9,4 million, of which only 12% are Emiratis, Indians nearly 25%, see link below). https://www.globalmediainsight.com/blog ... tatistics/
Save to say that Taiwan have some 20 times more local O/D than the UAE, which have 3 big airlines, 2 FSCs & 1 LCC.
So if the UAE can do it, Taiwan all the more reason.

In addition,
2) There are way more Taiwanese business men than Emirati buzzmen, to sustain a third FSC.
3) Taiwan have immediate premium PAX all over East Asia ( but not China, they said they are flying to the PRC due to the current tensions )
Starlux should do fine.

Now, while straightforward marketing-wise, the name "Starlux" is cheap : luxury brands never advertize themselves that openly.
Plus it is too reminescent of those umpteen cheap Jetstars LCCs & electronic companies like LG ( Lucky Goldstar ).
Could have called themselves Goldfish Deluxe airlines for all I care, but with the additional chinese touch ;).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos