User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 23735
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 pm

CX will end its 5th freedom route between YVR and JFK in April 2020.

Carrier says the route "has been losing money for a number of years.”

CX at moment plans to revise its JFK service by adding 4x additional weekly nonstops from HKG for a total of 25 weekly flights following the discontinuation.

Cathay Pacific will end its New York-Vancouver flights
https://thepointsguy.com/news/cathay-pa ... xt-spring/

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 pm

5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.
mercure f-wtcc
 
AZa346
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 pm

mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.

Tell that to EK... DXB MXP JFK or DXB ATH EWR to name a couple?? Ahhah
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 pm

mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.

I think it just depends on the route.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 pm

AZa346 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.

Tell that to EK... DXB MXP JFK or DXB ATH EWR to name a couple?? Ahhah

More to do with EK not being able to deploy assets elsewhere (too many planes) than anything else, given DXB hub is also maxed out. If anything, EK has already ended a few fifth freedoms (BKK-SYD-AKL, MEL-AKL, BNE-AKL and IIRC CMB-SIN)

LAXdude1023 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.

I think it just depends on the route.

It really depends route-on-route, but SQ also ended a few fifth freedoms (ICN-LAX and BCN-GRU comes into mind).

QF though still enjoys fifth freedom on SIN-LHR and seems to be doing just fine after a number of years of losses.

Michael
 
MCGYVR
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Good thing I booked myself in J for February 2020. I've never tried biz before so thought it would be a good use of 25k AS miles.
 
rampbro
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 pm

MCGYVR wrote:
Good thing I booked myself in J for February 2020. I've never tried biz before so thought it would be a good use of 25k AS miles.

Omg, good idea.
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Likely partially due to the current problems in HK resulting a 40% drop in tourism among other things. This was a nice red-eye for YVR travellers as it arrived early in NYC allowing for a full day of business or pleasure, coupled with great Cathay service and a premium experience overall.
 
ST165
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 pm

This makes sense, and has been a long time coming. Since the YVR-JFK leg started, CX now has added three or four other non stops on HKG-NYC area, and there's more competition on the route. There used to only be one year-round AC A320/319 flight to EWR, now during the summer DL and UA have a daily flight each for a total of four non stops on the route. I think at one point PR also flew YVR-JFK.

I think this is the precursor to CX closing their expensive YVR base, now with no more fifth freedom tags they can just staff everyone from HKG who have lower salaries and significantly fewer benefits and labour protection.

Unfortunate thing for YVR though is that now it will lose first-class service on HKG, and CX will pull first out of the Canadian market completely.
Last edited by ST165 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 23735
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 pm

mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry
Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


:checkmark:

Industry trend is very much moving away from 5th freedom and milk run routes.
For U.S. carriers look at how they have almost entirely walked away from what once was a significant feature in their international networks.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.


Per CEO interview a couple years ago they said their goal was to offer all nonstops from SIN. Things like the A350ULR to the U.S. and reshaping their European network in favor of more nonstops goes towards this goal. I think its only a matter of time before more 5h freedom is cut at SQ.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2838
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Likely partially due to the current problems in HK resulting a 40% drop in tourism among other things. This was a nice red-eye for YVR travellers as it arrived early in NYC allowing for a full day of business or pleasure, coupled with great Cathay service and a premium experience overall.


The source clearly states the two situations are unrelated. They are increasing non stop to JFK by 4x weekly. If the demand was weaker, they wouldn’t have done that.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
YYZORD
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:13 pm

The route lost money cause they wouldn't go through US Preclearance in YVR. Why would pax from Vancouver want to fly a route where they have to do customs at JFK instead while there is a perfectly fine preclearance facility at YVR.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Also does this mean that UA and DL will make their YVR-EWR/JFK flights year round due to the depart of CX?
 
berari
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 pm

I'd love to see AC add a red eye out of YVR to EWR to complement their existing daytime service.

What I suspect might happen though is WS will get in on the action (barring DL's going in year round,) and make it work to meet DL flights at JFK.
 
multimark
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:53 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 pm

YYZORD wrote:
The route lost money cause they wouldn't go through US Preclearance in YVR. Why would pax from Vancouver want to fly a route where they have to do customs at JFK instead while there is a perfectly fine preclearance facility at YVR.


Because it was basically the first flight of the day into JFK and clearing customs was a breeze.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 pm

LAXintl wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry
Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


:checkmark:

Industry trend is very much moving away from 5th freedom and milk run routes.
For U.S. carriers look at how they have almost entirely walked away from what once was a significant feature in their international networks.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.


Per CEO interview a couple years ago they said their goal was to offer all nonstops from SIN. Things like the A350ULR to the U.S. and reshaping their European network in favor of more nonstops goes towards this goal. I think its only a matter of time before more 5h freedom is cut at SQ.


Increments of long haul capacity for a route the length of JFK-HKG are smaller than they used to be. At a time only a 744 would do it; then 345s or 777ERs.

5th freedom routes make sense where:

1. You don't have a small enough increment of capacity between origin and destination so you wind up using smaller aircraft that lack the range or add intermediate stops to fill the plane.

or 2. You're trying to skirt bilateral frequency restrictions.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 pm

LAXintl wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry
Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


:checkmark:

Industry trend is very much moving away from 5th freedom and milk run routes.
For U.S. carriers look at how they have almost entirely walked away from what once was a significant feature in their international networks.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.


Per CEO interview a couple years ago they said their goal was to offer all nonstops from SIN. Things like the A350ULR to the U.S. and reshaping their European network in favor of more nonstops goes towards this goal. I think its only a matter of time before more 5h freedom is cut at SQ.


I can’t imagine them going IAH-SIN nonstop. They get too much on IAH-MAN relative to the routes performance as a whole. Maybe getting rid of the FRA stop makes sense though.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17518
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Why did they bother keeping it so long?
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:48 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
AZa346 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.

Tell that to EK... DXB MXP JFK or DXB ATH EWR to name a couple?? Ahhah

More to do with EK not being able to deploy assets elsewhere (too many planes) than anything else, given DXB hub is also maxed out. If anything, EK has already ended a few fifth freedoms (BKK-SYD-AKL, MEL-AKL, BNE-AKL and IIRC CMB-SIN)

LAXdude1023 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
5th freedom = vestige from a very different industry

Push is for ever more nonstops. 1-stops and 5th freedom don't make much sense in most cases anymore.


SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.

I think it just depends on the route.

It really depends route-on-route, but SQ also ended a few fifth freedoms (ICN-LAX and BCN-GRU comes into mind).

QF though still enjoys fifth freedom on SIN-LHR and seems to be doing just fine after a number of years of losses.

Michael


BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2007
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Interesting. I’ve always read/heard from numerous channels (especially from multiple posters here) that the route did very well considering it was the only daily nonstop on JFK-YVR.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
HP69
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am

USAirALB wrote:
Interesting. I’ve always read/heard from numerous channels (especially from multiple posters here) that the route did very well considering it was the only daily nonstop on JFK-YVR.


Me too. Funny how these thing change.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 am

Do they use the same crew from HKG to JFK or was there a swap at YVR? silly question I know but I don't know much about LH crew scheduling. Always thought these flights had a crew that made a stop at YVR, the proceed to JFK for a layover and then start all over. Probably can't do much more than 2 maybe 3 flights per month this way.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 am

patrickjp93 wrote:

BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.

I guarantee you it's not flying anymore, and it's not since 25MAR18. It was also an A380 flight as opposed to 777-300ER that you claimed. My guess is you flew on someone else (e.g. EK to NZ), you have remembered a wrong date, or you flew on EK's DPS-AKL and connect from soneone else.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... s-in-ns18/

AtomicGarden wrote:
Do they use the same crew from HKG to JFK or was there a swap at YVR? silly question I know but I don't know much about LH crew scheduling. Always thought these flights had a crew that made a stop at YVR, the proceed to JFK for a layover and then start all over. Probably can't do much more than 2 maybe 3 flights per month this way.

Think they used to have a YVR crew base that does the flight to JFK and HKG. Not sure if that still is the case. But they definitely made a crew swap in YVR.

Michael
Last edited by eamondzhang on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
avek00
Posts: 3218
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:56 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 am

Cathay Pacific is always free to ditch the moral corruptions of oneworld, join its big brother Air China in Star Alliance, and codeshare on AC/UA USA-YVR flights to feed YVR-HKG.
Live life to the fullest.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
AZa346 wrote:
Tell that to EK... DXB MXP JFK or DXB ATH EWR to name a couple?? Ahhah

More to do with EK not being able to deploy assets elsewhere (too many planes) than anything else, given DXB hub is also maxed out. If anything, EK has already ended a few fifth freedoms (BKK-SYD-AKL, MEL-AKL, BNE-AKL and IIRC CMB-SIN)

LAXdude1023 wrote:

SQ seems to be enjoying LAX-NRT/SFO-HKG/IAH-MAN/JFK-FRA.

I think it just depends on the route.

It really depends route-on-route, but SQ also ended a few fifth freedoms (ICN-LAX and BCN-GRU comes into mind).

QF though still enjoys fifth freedom on SIN-LHR and seems to be doing just fine after a number of years of losses.

Michael


BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.


No it's not?!? They haven't operated BNE-AKL for over 12 months now.

I can't remember exactly when EK last operated DXB-SIN-BNE-AKL on a 777, but it would have been around 2009.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 am

avek00 wrote:
Cathay Pacific is always free to ditch the moral corruptions of oneworld, join its big brother Air China in Star Alliance, and codeshare on AC/UA USA-YVR flights to feed YVR-HKG.


And the justification for this statement is?
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 am

USAirALB wrote:
Interesting. I’ve always read/heard from numerous channels (especially from multiple posters here) that the route did very well considering it was the only daily nonstop on JFK-YVR.

I guess it goes to show that without the actual “numbers” people on here, (including myself) have absolutely no idea how well a route does.

While CX may have had the only daily YVR to JFK, they did not have the only daily YVR to NYC. AC has flown a daily YVR to EWR for quite some time and has used a daily 787 for a couple years now. With “normal” daytime arr/dep times, they always had an edge on CX whose late night schedule timings did not work well for O&D traffic.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 am

eamondzhang wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
Do they use the same crew from HKG to JFK or was there a swap at YVR? silly question I know but I don't know much about LH crew scheduling. Always thought these flights had a crew that made a stop at YVR, the proceed to JFK for a layover and then start all over. Probably can't do much more than 2 maybe 3 flights per month this way.

Think they used to have a YVR crew base that does the flight to JFK and HKG. Not sure if that still is the case. But they definitely made a crew swap in YVR.

Michael


Much appreciated. Glad I wasn't so far off with my assumption. Probably an added cost that made the route more difficult for CX.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5434
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 am

Why is there such little service between the two cities?

It is bizarre

There is def an opening for B6 should they choose to enter the Canadian market
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Why is there such little service between the two cities?

It is bizarre

There is def an opening for B6 should they choose to enter the Canadian market


Because from the American side YVR is an extremely seasonal market. That’s why service spikes in the summer months. There is a business component of course but ACs flight between the two should cover that. If not, WS is probably the best candidate.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2007
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Why is there such little service between the two cities?

It is bizarre

There is def an opening for B6 should they choose to enter the Canadian market

While I don’t know if any of these are the answers:

1) US/Canada travel in general usually is stronger from the Canadian POS
2) YVR-US traffic is typically stronger towards the US West Coast
3) US-YVR traffic is heavily seasonal and aimed at connecting Americans with cruise ships bound for Alaska
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:41 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
There is a business component of course but ACs flight between the two should cover that. If not, WS is probably the best candidate.

Westjet had better hurry.

I would not be surprised to see AC start a second daily rotation with CX pulling out. A (pre cleared) red eye YVR to EWR but leading to an early morning departure out of EWR back to YVR.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:41 am

eamondzhang wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.

I guarantee you it's not flying anymore, and it's not since 25MAR18. It was also an A380 flight as opposed to 777-300ER that you claimed. My guess is you flew on someone else (e.g. EK to NZ), you have remembered a wrong date, or you flew on EK's DPS-AKL and connect from soneone else.

Michael

Nope. EK432/3/4. Still have the ticket actually.
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:43 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.


No it's not?!? They haven't operated BNE-AKL for over 12 months now.

I can't remember exactly when EK last operated DXB-SIN-BNE-AKL on a 777, but it would have been around 2009.


EK432/3/4, still have the tickets July 11 2019.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 am

Can't DL make their seasonal JFK-YVR flight year round and WS put their codeshare on that flight? They made ATL-YVR year round so idk why they can't do the same for JFK.

longhauler wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
There is a business component of course but ACs flight between the two should cover that. If not, WS is probably the best candidate.

Westjet had better hurry.

I would not be surprised to see AC start a second daily rotation with CX pulling out. A (pre cleared) red eye YVR to EWR but leading to an early morning departure out of EWR back to YVR.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2826
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:50 am

ST165 wrote:
This makes sense, and has been a long time coming. Since the YVR-JFK leg started, CX now has added three or four other non stops on HKG-NYC area, and there's more competition on the route. There used to only be one year-round AC A320/319 flight to EWR, now during the summer DL and UA have a daily flight each for a total of four non stops on the route. I think at one point PR also flew YVR-JFK.

I think this is the precursor to CX closing their expensive YVR base, now with no more fifth freedom tags they can just staff everyone from HKG who have lower salaries and significantly fewer benefits and labour protection.

Unfortunate thing for YVR though is that now it will lose first-class service on HKG, and CX will pull first out of the Canadian market completely.


PR flew YVR-JFK because they didn't have anything that could fly JFK-MNL nonstop without restriction. Now with a 280t A359, PR could fly that route nonstop...and daily, no longer needing a YVR stop (service to YVR is now 100 percent terminator). As for AC, they answered CX by upgrading that A319 YVR-EWR flight to a B788 (and now a B789)...because of the international J seats at the front. Also, that return flight times in very well with flights to Asia and Australia (although the reverse is not always the case).

If AC starts a second daily flight, I'd expect that on a 737 MAX 8.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

BNE-AKL is still flying. I flew SIN-BNE-AKL on their 777-300ER just a couple months ago.

I guarantee you it's not flying anymore, and it's not since 25MAR18. It was also an A380 flight as opposed to 777-300ER that you claimed. My guess is you flew on someone else (e.g. EK to NZ), you have remembered a wrong date, or you flew on EK's DPS-AKL and connect from soneone else.

Michael

Nope. EK432/3/4. Still have the ticket actually.

If you ever try emirates.com, EK is only selling QF flights for BNE-AKL, not only 11 July but any dates afterwards as well.

Also, if you check FR24, EK432/3 flies DXB-SIN-BNE ONLY: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ek433 and https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ek432

And EK434 doesn't even touch AKL: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ek434

As Ryanairguru mentioned, it must be some 10 years since EK flew BNE-AKL on 77W as this is one of the early EK routes that got swapped to A380.

Michael
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:07 am

If it has been losing money for years, which apparently it has, it is a head scratcher as to why they were still operating it. They have 3 x daily 77W service nonstop between JFK and HKG and 1 x daily A350 from EWR to HKG so the 1 stop flight via YVR made no sense. The additional frequencies between JFK and HKG (nonstop) being added are to be flown on the A350.

CX have very good service but the cabin interiors and design are dated and in need of a facelift, particularly on the 77W. The interior color scheme looks like something from 1996.
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
If it has been losing money for years, which apparently it has, it is a head scratcher as to why they were still operating it. They have 3 x daily 77W service nonstop between JFK and HKG and 1 x daily A350 from EWR to HKG so the 1 stop flight via YVR made no sense. The additional frequencies between JFK and HKG (nonstop) being added are to be flown on the A350.


Speculating here, but didn't the YVR stop aid in the cargo uplift? I'd figure a 77W either direction on HKG-JFK would be MTOW limited before it was ever ZFW limited. Declining cargo yields might have been a factor.
 
keitherson
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 am

I'm a regular on this route and the loads have always been horrific. It's not unusual for Y and J to be 20-30% full. F is hit or miss and 100% mileage redemption.
 
YYZLGA
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 am

I'm not too surprised. It's a tough route to make work. I suspect most of the business traffic will be on AC, and I doubt there's an overwhelming amount between those two cities. YVR's American business ties are way stronger with the west coast. For leisure traffic, there's must so much competition, both with the AC non-stop and innumerable one-stop options via both Canada and the U.S. If you fly via YYZ or YUL, there's an option every hour and you can arrive at LGA, which is much more convenient than JFK. You can clear customs both ways as you connect. It's very different from a route like SQ on LAX-NRT, where there are relatively few competitors (a few other nonstops and no good one-stop options).
Last edited by YYZLGA on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 am

YYZLGA wrote:
I'm not too surprised. It's a tough route to make work. I suspect most of the business traffic will be on AC, and I doubt there's an overwhelming amount between those two cities. YVR's American business ties are way stronger with the west coast. For leisure traffic, there's must so much competition, both with the AC non-stops and innumerable one-stop options via both Canada and the U.S. If you fly via YYZ or YUL, there's an option every hour and you can arrive at LGA, which is much more convenient than JFK. You can clear customs both ways as you connect.


LGA is still a 3rd world airport though...

Honestly when QF 15 is full, AC35 and the CX flight out of YVR is good enough. Getting into NYC proper from EWR is a nightmare now.
 
YYZLGA
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
I'm not too surprised. It's a tough route to make work. I suspect most of the business traffic will be on AC, and I doubt there's an overwhelming amount between those two cities. YVR's American business ties are way stronger with the west coast. For leisure traffic, there's must so much competition, both with the AC non-stops and innumerable one-stop options via both Canada and the U.S. If you fly via YYZ or YUL, there's an option every hour and you can arrive at LGA, which is much more convenient than JFK. You can clear customs both ways as you connect.


LGA is still a 3rd world airport though...

Honestly when QF 15 is full, AC35 and the CX flight out of YVR is good enough. Getting into NYC proper from EWR is a nightmare now.


It's New York. All the airports are terrible. And I think that's pretty unfair to the third world. Most of their airports are way better than the NYC airports.
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 am

YYZLGA wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
I'm not too surprised. It's a tough route to make work. I suspect most of the business traffic will be on AC, and I doubt there's an overwhelming amount between those two cities. YVR's American business ties are way stronger with the west coast. For leisure traffic, there's must so much competition, both with the AC non-stops and innumerable one-stop options via both Canada and the U.S. If you fly via YYZ or YUL, there's an option every hour and you can arrive at LGA, which is much more convenient than JFK. You can clear customs both ways as you connect.


LGA is still a 3rd world airport though...

Honestly when QF 15 is full, AC35 and the CX flight out of YVR is good enough. Getting into NYC proper from EWR is a nightmare now.


It's New York. All the airports are terrible. And I think that's pretty unfair to the third world. Most of their airports are way better than the NYC airports.


Newark is great if you're trying to get into NJ. Straight shot onto the highway, pretty fast baggage claim. Getting into NYC from it though is awful. But no, LGA is literally a rat-infested garbage heap.
 
YYZLGA
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:02 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

LGA is still a 3rd world airport though...

Honestly when QF 15 is full, AC35 and the CX flight out of YVR is good enough. Getting into NYC proper from EWR is a nightmare now.


It's New York. All the airports are terrible. And I think that's pretty unfair to the third world. Most of their airports are way better than the NYC airports.


Newark is great if you're trying to get into NJ. Straight shot onto the highway, pretty fast baggage claim. Getting into NYC from it though is awful. But no, LGA is literally a rat-infested garbage heap.


You're right, of course. I doubt there's all that much YVR-Jersey traffic, though, and Terminal A at Newark is also pretty badly outdated. The security lines if you don't have Precheck can be horrible. Also remember that AC flies into the new concourse at LGA, which is actually pretty pleasant.
 
patrickjp93
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 am

YYZLGA wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:

It's New York. All the airports are terrible. And I think that's pretty unfair to the third world. Most of their airports are way better than the NYC airports.


Newark is great if you're trying to get into NJ. Straight shot onto the highway, pretty fast baggage claim. Getting into NYC from it though is awful. But no, LGA is literally a rat-infested garbage heap.


You're right, of course. I doubt there's all that much YVR-Jersey traffic, though, and Terminal A at Newark is also pretty badly outdated. The security lines if you don't have Precheck can be horrible. Also remember that AC flies into the new concourse at LGA, which is actually pretty pleasant.


Well, there's me being the NJ native, but yeah, those days are coming to a close. Too bad there are not YVR-CLT flights... Anyway, tragic loss for YVR-NYC travelers. CX is a much better flight. It's the trip planning that's impossible, and expensive, if you're transitioning from QF or something else.
 
BWA900
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am

ST165 wrote:

Unfortunate thing for YVR though is that now it will lose first-class service on HKG, and CX will pull first out of the Canadian market completely.


Doesn't CX fly to YYZ up to 2x daily and also have 2x daily HKG-YVR apart from CX888/865?
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A359 A388 B712 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8A DH8B DH8D E145 E170 E190
 
YYZORD
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 am

It's surprising to me that YYC can handle a daily JFK flight and YVR can't year round? WS is pretty much DL and I think DL has the perfect opportunity to make YVR-JFK year round if WS has YYC-JFK year round after the WS/DL JV is approved!
 
ramprat320
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 am

A YVR to USA pre-cleared red-eye is not possible for anyone unfortunately as I believe US Customs and hence pre clearance closes at or just before 2100.
 
hodavid1985
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Cathay ending YVR-JFK service

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:33 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
Likely partially due to the current problems in HK resulting a 40% drop in tourism among other things. This was a nice red-eye for YVR travellers as it arrived early in NYC allowing for a full day of business or pleasure, coupled with great Cathay service and a premium experience overall.


The source clearly states the two situations are unrelated. They are increasing non stop to JFK by 4x weekly. If the demand was weaker, they wouldn’t have done that.


and CX mentioned that the sector has been losing money for years.....
NYC's demand is strong enough to have additional flights,
it will also allow CX to open up a new CANADA-USA flight after the change if they wanted.
(HK carrier has right to operate 5th freedom flight to one USA city from Canada)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos