Detroit313
Topic Author

New AA gates at DTW

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:23 am

Has anyone beet at the North Terminal of DTW recently?

In the last 4-5 months they have built 3 brand new gates for AA. They demolished a building and that made space for the new gates.

Does anyone know anything about these gates? More service for AA coming? Are they giving back other gates for the new ones? Are they additional?

Ishrion

Re: New AA gates at DTW

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am

Can't wait for AA to launch DTW-LHR!

But seriously, I'd like to see a picture of this. Is it anything compared to Delta's terminal at DTW?

tb727

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 am

[quote="Ishrion"
But seriously, I'd like to see a picture of this. Is it anything compared to Delta's terminal at DTW?[/quote]

No, the North terminal isn't quite as fancy and sleek as the Mac. It is nice and bright, kinda plain though. They are adding/upgrading the food options there.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Detroit313
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 am

It is a cute terminal. Looks new and clean. It is not as impressive as the other terminal, but not bad.

I wonder what AA is going to do with these new gates.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 am

As part of the master plan, now that the old Berry Terminal has been demolished, they are adding 3 new narrowbody gates on the North/Northeast side of the North Terminal. They are also adding more RON/hardstand overnight parking positions as well.

They aren't expanding the building shell/envelope of the North Terminal, but now have the ability to add more gates and hang jetbridges around the north end of Concourse D/North Terminal.

Once the Smith Terminal is torn down, they will also add another FIS widebody gate on the south end.

Not sure if the new gates are going to specifically be used by AA. Its very likely, and they will swap some of their non-consecutive gates back to the WCAA to become common use. Then AA will have all their gates at the north end of Concourse D and the others could become CUTE and/or if NK wants more signatory gates.

AA is not short of gates at DTW. So its not going to foreshadowing any expansion.

BenflysDTW

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:44 am

I work at the North Terminal in DTW, and I haven't been told that the new gates were for AA. Everyone is getting shoved down, and I heard from a few sources that Air Canada is getting one of the gates, and Spirit may be getting one. AA used to have seven gates, as they had D18, but Frontier took it over as Spirit took over gate D16 where Frontier originally was. This gave Spirit a new gate. A total of three gates will be added, and construction will be completed in a few weeks. After completion, the terminal will have 29 gates. The fullest I've seen the terminal beside the RON time was 21/26 gates full in the afternoon turn. Boy, it was busy. AA had around 43 peak-day departures during the summer from six gates, it feels like they have a focus city here lol.

BenflysDTW

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 am

That third widebody jetbridge will be especially important next year as LH FRA, MUC, and RJ AMM will all be there around 4 p.m. 2-3 days a week.

keithvh2001

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 am

Oops, double post.
Last edited by keithvh2001 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

keithvh2001

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 am

I am in the minority, but I prefer North to McNamara. Food's not as good, but I rarely eat at airports anyway. I like how bright and clean it is, with plenty of views to the outside. Security is better too, IMO (I do have Pre-Check). I fly into DTW 8 times a year, a mix of DL and UA, so I see them both regularly.

As for the new gates, I don't think AA really plans to add more flights (though I'd love to see them add LAX some day). They can consolidate up on the north end though. I've seen their flights leaving from gates all the way down by security before.

Detroit313
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Well, the new gates are AA gates because they have the AA logo on them. But if they stop using other gates then that means it is just a swap, not extra gates.

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 pm

I - am everybody else flying AA from DTW - might have preferred more AA gates near the center, D16, rather than half way to Flint. If the WCAA has a mechanism to allocate gates based on number of flights/number of passengers for greatest passenger convenience it fully eludes me. Let the less-busy carriers enjoy D30 and D32.

N292UX

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Maybe they'll add DTW-LAX. That one seems overdue, IMO. I don't see them adding JFK-DTW, but with LAX-DTW, they'd have service to all their hubs except for JFK from DTW. Maybe they'll add a few more frequencies to other markets, too.

BenflysDTW

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 pm

keithvh2001 wrote:
I am in the minority, but I prefer North to McNamara. Food's not as good, but I rarely eat at airports anyway. I like how bright and clean it is, with plenty of views to the outside. Security is better too, IMO (I do have Pre-Check). I fly into DTW 8 times a year, a mix of DL and UA, so I see them both regularly.

As for the new gates, I don't think AA really plans to add more flights (though I'd love to see them add LAX some day). They can consolidate up on the north end though. I've seen their flights leaving from gates all the way down by security before.

AA used to have gate D18, which was right by security.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:47 pm

The layout of AA's gates in the North Terminal goes back to where US had their gates pre-merger.
That said, operationally and for staffing purposes having all of their gates clustered around the north end of Concourse D is the most efficient both in the terminal and on the ramp.
Ground crews and equipment are less spread out and very easy to get between gates. It allows agents in the terminal to more quickly get between gates and make passenger announcements. Easier for gate changes too. Plus its closer to the RON parking positions where the Berry Terminal used to stand.

AA doesn't need 9 gates to run their operation at DTW, they could easily do it with 7 and still have ample room to add more flights.
AA not flying DTW-LAX has not ever been due to a lack of gate space in DTW. Its not even worth talking about until the MAX gets back in the air, let alone whatever AA's capacity constraints are on the LAX end.

NWADTWE16

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:02 am

and everybody is just itching for the Max to get back in the air, pshhhh..
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos