fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Video - Flying the A320

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am

Hi all

I usually read here and don't post very often, but I thought this is a community that would enjoy this short video.

I fly the A320 series for a living and once in a while, when something nice or interesting happens, I get my phone out and press record. Over time I have collected some (hopefully) nice footage and I thought I would put it all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6oh650TBCU

Like I said, it is all filmed on my phone, so the quality is not brilliant. I would love to invest in a nice camera, the problem is it would have to be small to fit in my flight-bag and to not obstruct us on the flight-deck.

Has anyone experience with Gopros?

Many thanks!

Stefan
 
Chrisba320
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 am

Beautiful video, thanks for posting it! I envy you for making your living this way. As a passenger I love the A320.
 
fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:22 am

Thank you.
Yes, the A320 is a lovely plane. I initially started off on Boeing and the transition wasn't easy, but now I love the bus.

I am thinking of buying a small camera that can fit onto the windscreen on the flight deck. I looked at go pro, but they seem a bit over the top for what I need and very expensive.
Since this is a site full of people with knowledge about cameras I would appreciate any helpful tips.

Many thanks

Stefan
 
Virtual737
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 am

Very nice Stefan. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
 
yabeweb
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 am

A quick question, if by any chance you used or use flight sim, How good are FSLabs 320 on P3d and / or Flight Factor 320 on X-Plane?

Nice video btw, keep em coming!
 
KFTG
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:50 pm

A320 flies you.
 
fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 pm

yabeweb wrote:
A quick question, if by any chance you used or use flight sim, How good are FSLabs 320 on P3d and / or Flight Factor 320 on X-Plane?

Nice video btw, keep em coming!


I used to have a copy of FSX and the FSLabs A320 was pretty darn close to the real thing. I now use X-Plane 11 because the flight models are just better. The best A320 for X-Plane is the FlightFactor one (although I have heard good things about the Tolis A319 too). It is not as good as the FSLabs one, but still good enough to teach you a lot about the bus.

With the A320 it is all about system management and understanding what the plane is trying to do.
When you give an input on the side-stick it is interpreted by the software and it will give you the flight-control deflection needed to achieve what you are asking for...as long as it is within safety limits.
It is a very different way of flying, but to be honest, once you get used to it and work together with the plane (and not against it) it is a great way to fly 4 legs a day without becoming too tired.

Stefan
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14042
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you, loved it
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
meesh42
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm

awesome vid, mega jealous as I'd love to have been a pilot.

Just like you I've racked up a lot of playing time on Flight Simulator, and I've always had time for the Airbus as I just found it much more easier to understand and get to grips with than the boeing, although the boeing planes are just as good fun to fly on that as well.
 
User avatar
BirdBrain
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

I don't have experience with GoPro, but these days phone camera with a suction cup holder works as good at times (probably you already knew that).
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Excellent video. What airport is that at the end of the video?
Delta Gold Medallion
 
yabeweb
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm

fsclips wrote:
yabeweb wrote:
A quick question, if by any chance you used or use flight sim, How good are FSLabs 320 on P3d and / or Flight Factor 320 on X-Plane?

Nice video btw, keep em coming!


I used to have a copy of FSX and the FSLabs A320 was pretty darn close to the real thing. I now use X-Plane 11 because the flight models are just better. The best A320 for X-Plane is the FlightFactor one (although I have heard good things about the Tolis A319 too). It is not as good as the FSLabs one, but still good enough to teach you a lot about the bus.

With the A320 it is all about system management and understanding what the plane is trying to do.
When you give an input on the side-stick it is interpreted by the software and it will give you the flight-control deflection needed to achieve what you are asking for...as long as it is within safety limits.
It is a very different way of flying, but to be honest, once you get used to it and work together with the plane (and not against it) it is a great way to fly 4 legs a day without becoming too tired.

Stefan

Thank you for your time, I use the Flight Factor 320 on x-plane (coming from P3d Myself and the FSLABS) and being an "Airbus Guy" i was curious about "hand flying it" i mean on approach and take off, seems it is pretty realistic from what you are saying.

Please do post more videos as it is always nice to see upfront!
 
fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Excellent video. What airport is that at the end of the video?

That is Zurich. We fly there a lot. It is one of my favourite airports.
When the weather is nice the approach is beautiful and the controllers are really good.

I will try to make more videos. There are some nice approaches in our network that would be worth filming.

Thanks for the nice feedback.

Stefan
 
fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi all

A friend of mine lent me his Gopro and I have been testing it.
Generally I have been very impressed, only during the nighttime the quality is not that great.

I placed it onto the windscreen of the A320 and these are the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZC3jtX-aWg&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPlgjznvz0&t=3s

I hope you like it.

I am not 100% sold on the Gopro yet, but we will see :-)

Regards

Stefan
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:56 pm

fsclips wrote:
Hi all

I usually read here and don't post very often, but I thought this is a community that would enjoy this short video.

I fly the A320 series for a living and once in a while, when something nice or interesting happens, I get my phone out and press record. Over time I have collected some (hopefully) nice footage and I thought I would put it all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6oh650TBCU

Like I said, it is all filmed on my phone, so the quality is not brilliant. I would love to invest in a nice camera, the problem is it would have to be small to fit in my flight-bag and to not obstruct us on the flight-deck.

Has anyone experience with Gopros?

Many thanks!

Stefan


GoPros are not the most expensive piece of equipment and super compact, plus the quality nowadays is superb if it's just for amateur stuff.

Thanks for sharing!
@DadCelo
 
Kilopond
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Don`t worry about your phone camera: the video quality of many commercial and even for-profit TV stations is clearly worse.

Actually, I liked your "over the Alps" clip even better, especially the "flying through the clouds" sequence.

I know I belong to a tiny minority on that matter, but I dislike your cutting: for my personal taste it is much too hectical. Reminds me of what MTV introduced decades ago. But I am sure the vast majority will perceive those fast cuts as fashionable and modern...
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3185
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Nice video.
 
gregpodpl
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 pm

I guess I'm "MTV generation" and I've really enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPlgjznvz0

Thanks Stefan!

Re: GoPro. Polarizing filter should remove the reflections of the dash. And maybe you can mount it closer to the windshield? So less (best - none) of the dash is visible, also it should limit the visibility of any dirt on the glass.
 
B6JFKH81
Posts: 2111
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:35 am

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:56 am

Absolutely stunning, I could watch all these videos on loop all day!

As someone who works very closely with aircraft and crew but rarely gets to be in the flight deck (mostly for test flights if I have time) I love to see these videos from flight deck crews around the world....it rejuvenates my love of what I do and who I do it for!

Clear and smooth skies always from the heavy maintenance side of the industry! And as always, a safe flight!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"
 
fsclips
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:05 am

Hey guys

Probably the last video for now (I have to return the GoPro).

This time I wanted to show what a typical 3-day round trip looks like. We had a 15hour lay-over in Paderborn. The rest of the time we were shuttling between our homebase (Palma de Mallorca) and mainland Europe.
I hope you like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2o62rNtyUY&t=1s

The captain was super nice and we had a lot of fun. Very experienced guy too, he flew 777 and 787 before joining our company.

Regards

Stefan
 
Theseus
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Video - Flying the A320

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 am

I just tried to watch the video, and it says it is private. Not sure if that is the intended result.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos