User avatar
Midwestindy
Topic Author
Posts: 4158
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:03 pm

No official confirmation, however, it was posted internally on Skyhub by Delta that they will invest $70 mil on IFE and extend leases until 2030. If true, that would be a very odd to invest so much into aircraft that will leave the fleet relatively soon, however this does go along with their strategy to fully equip their mainline fleet.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
N292UX
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

The 717s aren't gonna go anywhere for a while. Most of them aren't that old and there's plenty of A319/738/A320s that are older than the 717s in the fleet, and they all just got a big overhaul. The 717s will complement the A220s for a while, IMO. If DL were to be putting IFEs on their MD-88/MD-90s, that'd definitely be a head-scratcher, but they aren't going to do that.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

If it was posted internally, how’s it a rumor?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
No official confirmation, however, it was posted internally on Skyhub by Delta that they will invest $70 mil on IFE and extend leases until 2030. If true, that would be a very odd to invest so much into aircraft that will leave the fleet relatively soon...


Look at when they started refurbishment of the 744s (September 2011). Look at when they started retirement of the 744s (Sept 2015). https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... s/QqPoHLO6

I'm not asserting they WON'T do a lease extension on the 717s but there are some things you do for fleet commonality, not because you expect to get full accounting depreciation of the incremental costs of refurbishment. The A320 refurb tells the same story. They had barely finished the 1st phase refurb on several (bins/seats/PSUs/power but no AVOD) when they parked a few.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4967
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

I guess it makes sense from the aspect that it'd be taking the only mainline plane without AVOD and bringing it in line with the rest of the fleet.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
N292UX
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:23 pm

I do think if they do this though, it'll be the first time at any airline that a member of the DC-9 family have had IFEs installed. I don't think anyone in the past ever installed PTVs on DC-9/MD-80/717/MD-90s, so this would be a first.

Really goes to show just how long the DC-9 family was built to last. First flight was 54 years ago and here we are in 2019 with (much more modern) DC-9s getting PTVs installed.
 
ScottB
Posts: 6646
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
it was posted internally on Skyhub by Delta that they will invest $70 mil on IFE and extend leases until 2030. If true, that would be a very odd to invest so much into aircraft that will leave the fleet relatively soon, however this does go along with their strategy to fully equip their mainline fleet.


Ten years isn't "relatively soon" when we're talking about an investment in IFE. That's a longer lifespan than I'd expect for most of the equipment they'd be installing -- we're talking about electronic equipment, including screens, that gets a fair amount of abuse for the public, and I doubt the lifespan of the software will be ten years. It's under a million per frame and the company very likely has data showing the fleetwide IFE helps to drive a revenue premium.
 
ilovelamp
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
I guess it makes sense from the aspect that it'd be taking the only mainline plane without AVOD and bringing it in line with the rest of the fleet.


All mainline aircraft have AVOD via wifi at a minimum. This will bring seatback IFE to all mainline aircraft except the 88/90s. Once the latter retires, all Delta mainline aircraft with have seatback IFE.

Edit: this is about consistency of the product. Knowing what you’ll get before you step onboard a Delta mainline aircraft is something a lot of people will pay for.
Last edited by ilovelamp on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
FlyHPN
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
If it was posted internally, how’s it a rumor?

Because there is no public source to corroborate the story, A.net rules
Last edited by FlyHPN on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18155
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Assuming this happens, I'm very wrong on the tenure of the 717 at DL. Kudos to the t-tails. I could go over my logic, but if proven wrong, why rehash the errors of my thinking? ;)

I love IFE, it occupied the idiot sitting next to me, so I can read! :stirthepot:

Scarebus34 wrote:
If it was posted internally, how’s it a rumor?

On a.net it is a rumor until there is a link.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3614
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

They ought to be spending money on making the cabin quieter for starters. By far the noisiest cabin I hve been in with the exception of the BA146.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18155
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Is the 717 really louder than the back of a MD-80 or DC-9? I like engines on a wing just for that reason.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
questions
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Will DL have to install new seats on the 717’s to accommodate the screens or is there already a place for them?
 
KFTG
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm

N292UX wrote:
I do think if they do this though, it'll be the first time at any airline that a member of the DC-9 family have had IFEs installed.

Legend had seat back entertainment in their DC-9 fleet.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm

N292UX wrote:
I do think if they do this though, it'll be the first time at any airline that a member of the DC-9 family have had IFEs installed. I don't think anyone in the past ever installed PTVs on DC-9/MD-80/717/MD-90s, so this would be a first.

Really goes to show just how long the DC-9 family was built to last. First flight was 54 years ago and here we are in 2019 with (much more modern) DC-9s getting PTVs installed.


Legend which flew DC-9 (-30s?) out of DAL in the 90s(?) had LiveTV (DirectTV) all of those planes had a low enough seat count to be able to fly anywhere in the US without violating the Wright Amendment.
 
bnatraveler
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:10 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Big change since the last evaluation of IFE in the -88s and 717s is that Delta is now producing their own IFE through Delta Flight Products. This solution is what is deployed on the A220s and (i) is based upon permanent installations of tablets in the seatback, (ii) communicates via wi-fi, and (iii) doesn't require in-seat boxes. https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/01/2 ... a-sourced/

I would assume Delta would propose this type of solution if they were going to put IFE on 717s.
 
Elementalism
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Is the 717 really louder than the back of a MD-80 or DC-9? I like engines on a wing just for that reason.

Lightsaber


717 In front of wing is the quietest mainline aircraft I have flown on. It is a real treat imo. Now they are installing IFE, it is even better.
 
heretothere
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Not so minor point: the 717s already have IFE. This would just be adding screens.
 
airlinedork
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:14 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm

N292UX wrote:
The 717s aren't gonna go anywhere for a while. Most of them aren't that old and there's plenty of A319/738/A320s that are older than the 717s in the fleet, and they all just got a big overhaul. The 717s will complement the A220s for a while, IMO. If DL were to be putting IFEs on their MD-88/MD-90s, that'd definitely be a head-scratcher, but they aren't going to do that.


Explain how the 717s "compliment" the A221s? They are completely different aircraft with completely different mission capabilities. Capacity isn't all that's important here.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3614
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Is the 717 really louder than the back of a MD-80 or DC-9? I like engines on a wing just for that reason.

Lightsaber


It has been many, many years since I rode on a MD80 series aircraft. Most of the noise on the 717 is pack noise and it seems to be worse mid cabin. Can't imagine DL modifying the system, but also find it hard to believe MD delivered this product that way? The FA's complain about frequently as unless you are a lip reader, its hard to hear the pax when taking drink orders.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

heretothere wrote:
Not so minor point: the 717s already have IFE. This would just be adding screens.


What IFE does DL have on their 717s? I know they don’t have screens, so maybe I’m not understanding what you’re saying.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1922
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

2030 isn't soon. It's 10 years away. So it makes pretty good sense to add IFE to the 717s. However I wonder if they plan on keeping all of them. I assumed some of them would be retired in favor of the A220s
A350/CSeries = bae
 
heretothere
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
heretothere wrote:
Not so minor point: the 717s already have IFE. This would just be adding screens.


What IFE does DL have on their 717s? I know they don’t have screens, so maybe I’m not understanding what you’re saying.


IFE = Inflight Entertainment

You can already stream movies and shows on the 717 in addition to being able to purchase wifi. You just need to bring your own device.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:17 pm

OA940 wrote:
2030 isn't soon. It's 10 years away. So it makes pretty good sense to add IFE to the 717s. However I wonder if they plan on keeping all of them. I assumed some of them would be retired in favor of the A220s


Why? If they're going to keep 60 they may as well keep 91.

Like the MD-88s and MD-90s, I expect that when they start exiting the fleet they'll go very fast. It's not going to be ten a year for nine years to be retired.
 
jghealey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:23 pm

If I remember correctly, the last 717s were built in 2006. That means the newest ones are only 13yrs old, and Delta is retiring the MD-88/90s only when they're well into their 20s; we know they like their old aircraft - look at the 20+yr old A319/320s that got the refurbishment just a few years back. Assuming they keep the 717s until they are 25yrs old, we could be seeing 717s operating for the next 12 years or so. If they're going to keep for them this long, it obviously makes sense to install IFE if only for the purpose of product consistency. I recall they were purchasing every 717 they could get their hands on a few years back. They don't seem to be all that concerned about effiency with all the 757s and 767s in the fleet.
Last edited by jghealey on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7327
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:24 pm

If this is indeed true, then this likely indicates a few aspects:

1) Personal Entertainment / Seatback IFE installation on the 717 is all about offering a consistent product and branding. Then they can say they have it on all mainline aircraft. Obviously the MD-88/90s never made sense due to their pending retirement status, feasibility/cost of installing prior generation IFE, and some of the electrical system limitations particularly on the MD-88.

2) The A220s and 717 are used somewhat interchangably from a capacity standpoint. As more A220s enter the fleet, and more MD-88s depart, I would anticipate the 717s will increasingly be pulled off longer stage length flights and move to more short haul routes. Right now a lot of the initial A220s have gone to replace longer stage length 2-class RJ routes.

3) I suspect the business case for keeping the 717s out until 2030 is somewhat based on the fact that they need variable capacity fleet type, and will have higher priority fleet replacement needs of the next decade. Spending $70M for additional IFE and extending leases on an orphan fleet type that no one else really wants allows them to focus on other types. There is a lot higher priority for cap-ex spend to replace other types over the next decade than retiring 717s before the end of their economic service life.
Older A320s, 757s, 767s, and even some of the 738 fleet are going to be coming due for replacement over the next decade. Not to mention, portions of the regional jet fleet are going to need to be replaced during this time as well. I think they also likely means they will be keeping the PMNW A330CEOs and 77Es out to close to 30 years as well. Keeping the 717s out to 2030 helps spread out the cap ex spend.
 
jetlanta
Posts: 1651
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:35 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:29 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
If this is indeed true, then this likely indicates a few aspects:

1) Personal Entertainment / Seatback IFE installation on the 717 is all about offering a consistent product and branding. Then they can say they have it on all mainline aircraft. Obviously the MD-88/90s never made sense due to their pending retirement status, feasibility/cost of installing prior generation IFE, and some of the electrical system limitations particularly on the MD-88.

2) The A220s and 717 are used somewhat interchangably from a capacity standpoint. As more A220s enter the fleet, and more MD-88s depart, I would anticipate the 717s will increasingly be pulled off longer stage length flights and move to more short haul routes. Right now a lot of the initial A220s have gone to replace longer stage length 2-class RJ routes.

3) I suspect the business case for keeping the 717s out until 2030 is somewhat based on the fact that they need variable capacity fleet type, and will have higher priority fleet replacement needs of the next decade. Spending $70M for additional IFE and extending leases on an orphan fleet type that no one else really wants allows them to focus on other types. There is a lot higher priority for cap-ex spend to replace other types over the next decade than retiring 717s before the end of their economic service life.
Older A320s, 757s, 767s, and even some of the 738 fleet are going to be coming due for replacement over the next decade. Not to mention, portions of the regional jet fleet are going to need to be replaced during this time as well. I think they also likely means they will be keeping the PMNW A330CEOs and 77Es out to close to 30 years as well. Keeping the 717s out to 2030 helps spread out the cap ex spend.



Great insight, as usual.
 
luv2cattlecall
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 pm

airlinedork wrote:
N292UX wrote:
The 717s aren't gonna go anywhere for a while. Most of them aren't that old and there's plenty of A319/738/A320s that are older than the 717s in the fleet, and they all just got a big overhaul. The 717s will complement the A220s for a while, IMO. If DL were to be putting IFEs on their MD-88/MD-90s, that'd definitely be a head-scratcher, but they aren't going to do that.


Explain how the 717s "compliment" the A221s? They are completely different aircraft with completely different mission capabilities. Capacity isn't all that's important here.


Because eventually, the A220 would be the closest replacement on a capacity basis.
 
cessna2
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?
 
catiii
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
If this is indeed true, then this likely indicates a few aspects:

1) Personal Entertainment / Seatback IFE installation on the 717 is all about offering a consistent product and branding. Then they can say they have it on all mainline aircraft. Obviously the MD-88/90s never made sense due to their pending retirement status, feasibility/cost of installing prior generation IFE, and some of the electrical system limitations particularly on the MD-88.

2) The A220s and 717 are used somewhat interchangably from a capacity standpoint. As more A220s enter the fleet, and more MD-88s depart, I would anticipate the 717s will increasingly be pulled off longer stage length flights and move to more short haul routes. Right now a lot of the initial A220s have gone to replace longer stage length 2-class RJ routes.

3) I suspect the business case for keeping the 717s out until 2030 is somewhat based on the fact that they need variable capacity fleet type, and will have higher priority fleet replacement needs of the next decade. Spending $70M for additional IFE and extending leases on an orphan fleet type that no one else really wants allows them to focus on other types. There is a lot higher priority for cap-ex spend to replace other types over the next decade than retiring 717s before the end of their economic service life.
Older A320s, 757s, 767s, and even some of the 738 fleet are going to be coming due for replacement over the next decade. Not to mention, portions of the regional jet fleet are going to need to be replaced during this time as well. I think they also likely means they will be keeping the PMNW A330CEOs and 77Es out to close to 30 years as well. Keeping the 717s out to 2030 helps spread out the cap ex spend.


This a good analysis.

Is the 717 the same category as the M88/M90 for pilot flying?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

cessna2 wrote:
Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?


Why not? AA, UA, Alaska, Southwest and Spirit have all decided against narrowbody AVOD, so there's more than one answer!
 
nycbjr
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:45 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:49 pm

cessna2 wrote:
Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?


I didn't hear this! Can you provide a link?
 
MavyWavyATR
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm

To me, it doesn't make sense to put seatback screens on the 717's considering the type of flying they usually do (ie: up to 1.5 hours roughly).
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:51 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Assuming this happens, I'm very wrong on the tenure of the 717 at DL.


I hear you, but I think it's a huge assumption at this point. The situation doesn't add up for another decade of service, and there's a history here of changing plans on planes that recently had money sunk into them.

jghealey wrote:
If I remember correctly, the last 717s were built in 2006. That means the newest ones are only 13yrs old, ...


Correct, however only a dozen of DL's were built after 2002. The bulk of the fleet is from 1999 to 2002.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7327
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm

catiii wrote:
This a good analysis.

Is the 717 the same category as the M88/M90 for pilot flying?

No. They have seperate classifications, pay scales, and bases.
Its a moot point with how the seniority system and how current MD-88/90 pilots will bid off the aircraft into other fleet types. Not likely to get many going to the 717, that pays less.
Right now the only MD88/90 base left is ATL. 717 FO will likely be primarily new hires. 717 CA will continue to come FO's off a variety of fleet types.

cessna2 wrote:
Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?

Interesting. Can you elaborate on this more? What is the issue with the 717 seat?
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm

jghealey wrote:
.....They don't seem to be all that concerned about effiency with all the 757s and 767s in the fleet.
Why should they? As long as the cost of fuel is manageble, you can buy a hella lot of extra fuel for the monthly payment on a shiny new toy. Armchair CEOs seem to ignore this fact. Only when the change in cost of fuel and increased maintenance cost move significantly, do you look at a replacement.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?
 
cessna2
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

nycbjr wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?


I didn't hear this! Can you provide a link?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... J/amp.html
They have 5 years to replace the seats. This article was from 2017.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
To me, it doesn't make sense to put seatback screens on the 717's considering the type of flying they usually do (ie: up to 1.5 hours roughly).


You can watch 2/3 episodes of a show in that time, more on longer flights. And it's probably more to do with keeping a consistent product across the board than keeping people entertained for X period of time. Either way, now DL pax have more options of what to do with their time.
@DadCelo
 
akelley728
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 1999 12:35 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 pm

cessna2 wrote:
Remember DL has to replace their seats on the 717 after the FAA determined their current seats don’t meet some regulation. So if you’re going to keep them until 2030, and you have to replace the seats anyway... Why not go ahead and put IFE screens on the aircraft?


nycbjr wrote:
I didn't hear this! Can you provide a link?


https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... eats-neck-

https://jdasolutions.aero/blog/faa-zodiac-seats/
 
ilovelamp
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-717/

I guess a blog post makes it not a rumor since a link is now provided...
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
https://onemileatatime.com/delta-717/

I guess a blog post makes it not a rumor since a link is now provided...


This link is missing a key part of the announcement. The same part that is missing in the announcement of free WiFi on all planes.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

IPFreely wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
https://onemileatatime.com/delta-717/

I guess a blog post makes it not a rumor since a link is now provided...


This link is missing a key part of the announcement. The same part that is missing in the announcement of free WiFi on all planes.

And what that'd be?
 
tjerome
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Elementalism wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Is the 717 really louder than the back of a MD-80 or DC-9? I like engines on a wing just for that reason.

Lightsaber


717 In front of wing is the quietest mainline aircraft I have flown on. It is a real treat imo. Now they are installing IFE, it is even better.


It's a bit quieter on the 717 than the 88/90 FWIW.

catiii wrote:

Is the 717 the same category as the M88/M90 for pilot flying?


Nope, 717 and 88/90 are different categories.
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
To me, it doesn't make sense to put seatback screens on the 717's considering the type of flying they usually do (ie: up to 1.5 hours roughly).


Uh, the 717 does 2+ hour flights to a bunch of cities out of SLC and MSP. This makes very good sense since many of these "long, thin" or "high frequency" routes are going to be a mix of either 717's or A220's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:02 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
To me, it doesn't make sense to put seatback screens on the 717's considering the type of flying they usually do (ie: up to 1.5 hours roughly).


It's that product consistency thing that's been mentioned half a dozen times up-thread. Do you think they should serve a meal in Business on a 2PM JFK-LAX flight? Didn't most people just eat lunch?
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
https://onemileatatime.com/delta-717/

I guess a blog post makes it not a rumor since a link is now provided...


This link is missing a key part of the announcement. The same part that is missing in the announcement of free WiFi on all planes.

And what that'd be?


The date these projects will be complete.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2621
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
To me, it doesn't make sense to put seatback screens on the 717's considering the type of flying they usually do (ie: up to 1.5 hours roughly).


The 717s mostly fly short routes, but they also appear routinely on longer routes with competition: MSP-DFW, MSP/DTW-IAH, MSP-PHL, MSP-EWR, JFK-TPA, etc. Also the LGA-ORD shuttle (not a particularly long route, but there's lots of competition and a decent chance you'll be sitting around on the tarmac for a while on either end).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Here's the first link. Same internal source as the OP, but still

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-717/
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
nycbjr
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:45 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Mods can we change the title to Rumor: Delta installing In Seat Video on B717s ?

They have IFE in the form of wifi streaming to personal devices.
 
ThomasMTroxell
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 am

Re: Rumor: Delta installing IFE on B717s

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 pm

IPFreely wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

This link is missing a key part of the announcement. The same part that is missing in the announcement of free WiFi on all planes.

And what that'd be?


The date these projects will be complete.


Delta has until Summer 2022 to replace the Zodiac seats on the MD-90s and 717s, per a safety order from the FAA issued Summer 2017. It's safe to say these mods will be done by Q2 2022, possibly earlier.

Also I can confirm the post internally on SkyHub. We should change this from rumour to verified. It will be up on DLNet and external NewsHub by Friday, I assume.
CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E90 DC9 MD80 MD88 MD90 717 733 734 735 73W 738 739ER 744 752 753 763 76W 764 77E 77L 77W A319 A320 A321 A343 US HP DL FL WN LH AC BA AB UA TW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos