jayunited
Topic Author

Flight Global: Tim Clark (Video) talks about UK's Importance

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Tim Clark told Flight Global the UK accounts for 26% of EK's total capacity and is currently growing around 6-7% a year.

If you think those numbers are astonishing Tim Clark also stated the UK accounts for 56% of EK's total profit from their European operations. Out of 22 European countries and the UK, the UK accounts for more than half of EK's European operational profit.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... or-460720/

At the end of the video he address Brexit, he states the evidence he has seen does not suggest that there will be a collapse in demand for travel to or from the UK.

lightsaber

Re: Flight Global: Tim Clark (Video) talks about UK's Importance

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 am

When one considers how much of the once British Empire EK serves, is it that much of a surprise?

Compared to say Germany, with limits on transfer traffic, there is less friction to business.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

flyjay123

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 am

lightsaber wrote:

Compared to say Germany, with limits on transfer traffic, there is less friction to business.

Lightsaber

What limits does Germany impose?

worldranger

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

flyjay123 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Only four cities allowed. As many frequencies as desired by EK but no more than four.

Germany and Canada are the two ‘golden geese’ that EK would salivate on the prospect of open skies. Not going to happen.

Stuttgart and Berlin would be immediate targets.

GBNWB

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 am

Just a shame that BA can't seem to tap into more of that. I guess because anywhere worth going to East of the UK is a long way away versus the relative short hop to the US.

Arion640

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

worldranger wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Only four cities allowed. As many frequencies as desired by EK but no more than four.

Germany and Canada are the two ‘golden geese’ that EK would salivate on the prospect of open skies. Not going to happen.

I’m shocked the EU let Germany impose this. What happened to free markets and all that?
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

lightsaber

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:41 am

Arion640 wrote:
worldranger wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

I’m shocked the EU let Germany impose this. What happened to free markets and all that?

I would add China is another 'golden goose' where EK desires far more rights.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

flyjay123

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:44 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
worldranger wrote:

I would add China is another 'golden goose' where EK desires far more rights.

Lightsaber

India ?

TObound

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Arion640 wrote:

Aviation agreements are bilateral. The EU has no say in them. The EU can't force countries to accept aviation traffic they don't want. And the "free market" only applies to all the economies inside the EU. It doesn't mean free for outsiders coming to sell their wares in the EU.

ScottB

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 pm

TObound wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Aviation agreements are bilateral. The EU has no say in them. The EU can't force countries to accept aviation traffic they don't want. And the "free market" only applies to all the economies inside the EU. It doesn't mean free for outsiders coming to sell their wares in the EU.

The EU is party to aviation agreements -- the Open Skies agreement with the U.S. which also ended the restrictions on LHR imposed by Bermuda II is one of them. I guess it's not exactly a bilateral since technically the EU and all of its constituent states are parties along with the U.S. -- but it effectively acts as one. However, as there is no bilateral between the EU and UAE, the preexisting agreement between the BRD and UAE would apply.

Edit: FWIW, the EU and UAE have been in discussions regarding a comprehensive agreement which would replace the existing set of bilaterals with individual nations. Those talks have broken down, but in the event of an EU-wide agreement with the UAE, the restrictions imposed by the German bilateral would cease to apply unless they were included in the EU-UAE agreement.

lightsaber

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 pm

ScottB wrote:
TObound wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

The EU is party to aviation agreements -- the Open Skies agreement with the U.S. which also ended the restrictions on LHR imposed by Bermuda II is one of them. I guess it's not exactly a bilateral since technically the EU and all of its constituent states are parties along with the U.S. -- but it effectively acts as one. However, as there is no bilateral between the EU and UAE, the preexisting agreement between the BRD and UAE would apply.

Edit: FWIW, the EU and UAE have been in discussions regarding a comprehensive agreement which would replace the existing set of bilaterals with individual nations. Those talks have broken down, but in the event of an EU-wide agreement with the UAE, the restrictions imposed by the German bilateral would cease to apply unless they were included in the EU-UAE agreement.

The issue is Germany could make it too difficult to remove the bilaterals. Talks broke down for a reason.

Also, a UAE to Europe bilateral is far more than the Dubai/Germany bilateral. If either Abu Dhabi or Dubai losses out they veto. How does the veto process work in Europe?

Lightsaber

JamesCousins

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm

This all coincides with the UK's consistent economic growth the past 9, nearly 10 years. Much of the middle class have prospered and are flying further afield - EK very much so has the glam appeal here, if you're off on a trip to Thailand, Australia, even Africa, it's EK that stand out as the fairly affordable premium for lots of Brits. Ask the average Brit about Etihad or Qatar, and most are non the wiser, Emirates is a very different story.

Admittedly I had thought EK offering service to more and more UK airports would dilute their existing operations but it appears to have done the opposite. 95% load factors are damn impressive, especially when flights are often priced the same/slightly higher than competitors
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY

Fiend

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 am

One of the reasons EK and QR have become successful in the UK is because they fly from other airports and not just LHR.

I fly to Thailand twice a year and have a choice of flying from MAN, NCL, GLA and EDI, all of which are within 2.5 hours drive for me. No need to fly from LHR. Prices from LHR might be slightly cheaper, but for me by the time you add the cost of getting to LHR and added time to get there it's not worth it.

Was a regular EK flyer, but for the last 3 years my airline of choice has become QR.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

BaconButty

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

JamesCousins wrote:
This all coincides with the UK's consistent economic growth the past 9, nearly 10 years.

Well, you can't say we lack a sense of humour here at a.net.
Down with that sort of thing!

TheLion

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:37 pm

BaconButty wrote:
JamesCousins wrote:
This all coincides with the UK's consistent economic growth the past 9, nearly 10 years.

Exactly! We’ve had a tough ride in the 11 years since 2008...

Luftymatt

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am

TheLion wrote:
BaconButty wrote:
JamesCousins wrote:

Exactly! We’ve had a tough ride in the 11 years since 2008...

Yes we have, and yet the UK economy is growing, this is a fact.

Fiend wrote:
One of the reasons EK and QR have become successful in the UK is because they fly from other airports and not just LHR.

I fly to Thailand twice a year and have a choice of flying from MAN, NCL, GLA and EDI, all of which are within 2.5 hours drive for me. No need to fly from LHR. Prices from LHR might be slightly cheaper, but for me by the time you add the cost of getting to LHR and added time to get there it's not worth it.

Exactly this, never underestimate the appeal of choice. Most people don’t want to trek down to LHR to fly onwards .
chase the sun

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos