entdoc
Topic Author

TLV main runway repairs

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:54 pm

https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340, ... 55,00.html
Apologies article in Hebrew didn't find English one
And apologies if this already posted.

TLV to repair runway 8-26 after high holidays for about two months.
Apparently change in takeoff patterns to cause noise in some communities.

OmerMaz

Re: TLV main runway repairs

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Residents of Holon and Rishon Le Zion are the main victims of airplane related noise.
During the night, the majority of EL AL's long haul operations take place, so this is when the loud RR powered 777s and aging 747s bring their thunder and disturb the residents.
So unless it's a 787 taking off, they are already suffering from the noise.

What's also troubling, is how are they gonna deal with conggestion of airplane traffic both in the air and both on the ground...Better off to do it during winter season.

Aaand, the fact that 30/12 is much shorter than 26/08, so I'm woundering how harsh payload hits could be.

From a different article I read, it says that the repairs will take place effective 27 October, until 5 December.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

OmerMaz wrote:
Residents of Holon and Rishon Le Zion are the main victims of airplane related noise.
During the night, the majority of EL AL's long haul operations take place, so this is when the loud RR powered 777s and aging 747s bring their thunder and disturb the residents.

What's also troubling, is how are they gonna deal with conggestion of airplane traffic both in the air and both on the ground...Better off to do it during winter season.

Aaand, the fact that 30/12 is much shorter than 26/08, so I'm woundering how harsh payload hits could be.

From a different article I read, it says that the repairs will take place effective 27 October, until 5 December.

Runway 12/30 is 10,210 ft long. Hardly short by any stretch of the imagination. It's essentially sea level and in the winter. There will virtually no payload restrictions.
Whatever

OmerMaz

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
OmerMaz wrote:

Runway 12/30 is 10,210 ft long. Hardly short by any stretch of the imagination. It's essentially sea level and in the winter. There will virtually no payload restrictions.

Thanks for the clarification.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

OmerMaz wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
OmerMaz wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

You bet.
Whatever

flybaby

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm

OmerMaz wrote:

El Al’s 747s should be all retired by then.

27 October is considered low-season so this is a good time as ever to do this.

Repairs on this scale are done to the runway approximately once per decade.

The interesting question is whether runway 3/21 will be used for takeoffs, something which rarely happens.

AA737-823

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 pm

I landed this week in an El Al 747 on rwy21, which I though was strange. I expected to come straight in from the sea, for noise.
Maybe they’ve already reduced traffic on 8-26?
In any event, noise from 747s should cease to be an issue very soon, unfortunately.

HP69

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Will any airlines cut back service?

OmerMaz

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm

flybaby wrote:
OmerMaz wrote:

El Al’s 747s should be all retired by then.

27 October is considered low-season so this is a good time as ever to do this.

Repairs on this scale are done to the runway approximately once per decade.

The interesting question is whether runway 3/21 will be used for takeoffs, something which rarely happens.

The 747s are (presuambley) exiting the fleet on 21 October.
The period of the repairs is defenitley ideal, as this period also supposed to be less rainy compared to a later time.

As for 03/21, I assume that maybe only flight to Eilat or Haifa, but I doubt that it will be any other flight then that, if any.

flybaby

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 pm

HP69 wrote:
Will any airlines cut back service?

I doubt it. The other runways should be sufficient to meet the demand during that time of year.

flybaby

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:59 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
I landed this week in an El Al 747 on rwy21, which I though was strange. I expected to come straight in from the sea, for noise.
Maybe they’ve already reduced traffic on 8-26?
In any event, noise from 747s should cease to be an issue very soon, unfortunately.

By law 4-engined aircraft aren’t supposed to land on 21 but exceptions can be made in extraordinary circumstances.

The IAA and CAAI are supposed to be working on a new operational scheme for the airport which will replace the old one from 1997 which is supposed to more equally distribute the noise around the airport, plus take out the 4-engine restriction on RWY21. However, it could take many years for the plan to go through all the approvals and objections process. This said, the number of 4-engines aircraft is steadily decreasing anyway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos