Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eurotrader85

Re: Cathay Pacific to cut capacity

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 am

LAX772LR wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Maybe they should cut down their Cathay Dragon flights as it is a disgrace to their Cathay Pacific standards

Even if there was some substance to this statement (have you ever even ridden Cathay Dragon?), CX would have a lot more important things to worry about at this point....

This said it would be interesting to see, from a load factor point of view, and performance overall, how KA is performing verses pre-protest era KA and further in comparison to CX pre protest era. The biggest drop in visitors to HK and transit is from mainland China persons (not a surprising statement of course), which is naturally having a two fold impact on Cathay Pacific group. Less feed for the long-haul CX coming through HKG on KA and of course less O&D directly on KA. Granted KA cost base is lower than CX but we know other airlines like CZ have suspended temporarily their services into HKG (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431737), will Cathay Pacific follow route by maybe slightly reducing their hourly services to PEK & PVG/SHA or take a frequency out of WUH etc?

airhansa

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Cathay Pacific has its base in Hong Kong so it's unlikely to remove routes. Rather it would be other airlines that remove said routes and leave it for Cathay Pacific to fill their planes more. Hong Kongers will still fly Cathay Pacific out of Hong Kong whereas the other passengers would choose other destinations.

CX Flyboy

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 pm

sibibom wrote:
Where are all the B777-300ERs especially the ones with First going?

When is Cathay due to get B777X, any more soft demand, especially in higher classes, and I wouldn't surprised if Cathay moved the deliveries further down the line.

How many more A350s are due? They may delay those too if they could.

CX will be returning 10 77Ws to the leasing companies this year; an increase on the previous planned number. (I dont know what that figure is off the top of my head)

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 am

CX and CX Dragon offering unpaid leave to staff

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... -hong-kong
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Speedalive

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 am

LAXintl wrote:

I really hope the situation improves in HK. It would be an absolute shame if CX started laying off staff. Thankfully, it does seem like things have calmed down, but one can't help but feel like it's just a temporary lull after 7 months of these protests/riots.

clrd4t8koff

Re: Cathay Pacific to Cut First Class at ORD

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:07 am

Kent350787 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
Yep, will be interesting to know which routes can actually sustain F.

I still find it interesting that the single BOS flight is 4-class.

Flew the week before Christmas and, as you’d expect, Y and PE were full, J only around 50%. Return flights tonight, and J appears only half full again.

I find it interesting that your questioning a route based on anecdotal evidence.

This route year round averages 90%+ LF’s. BOS may very well see cuts, but it should tell you something when stations like ORD lose all 77W & First Class and get replaced with A350s and BOS retains it.

airhansa

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 am

Speedalive wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I really hope the situation improves in HK. It would be an absolute shame if CX started laying off staff. Thankfully, it does seem like things have calmed down, but one can't help but feel like it's just a temporary lull after 7 months of these protests/riots.

I think one of the long-term effects of the period might be that Mainland Chinese people won't consider being a patron of a Hong Kong company to be "patriotic". CX would therefore mainly become a carrier for Hong Kong people and people from outside China - similar to most national airlines in developed countries around the world in that they are mainly carrier for domestic travelers (e.g. most French people do not speak English so fly Air France etc...).

zeke

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:23 am

LAXintl wrote:

Unpaid leave is not something that is new, normally every year we have crew request it.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zkncj

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am

sibibom wrote:

When is Cathay due to get B777X, any more soft demand, especially in higher classes, and I wouldn't surprised if Cathay moved the deliveries further down the line.

One is about to be wet-leased to NZ to operate AKL-HKG-AKL, currently is be operated by an wet leased a350 from CX. NZ is using CX to help cover 789s out of service with RR issues.

They could probably take another CX 77W if it came with an good deal, they have an BR 77W for about 18months.

Wet-leases to 787 customers is an good way for CX to try make up for lost passengers.

reply1984

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
sibibom wrote:

CX will be returning 10 77Ws to the leasing companies this year; an increase on the previous planned number. (I dont know what that figure is off the top of my head)

I don't know how you get this figure, but it is totally wrong if we refer to the plan announced by CX in November 2019.

CX Flyboy

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 pm

reply1984 wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
sibibom wrote:

I don't know how you get this figure, but it is totally wrong if we refer to the plan announced by CX in November 2019.

That is the old plan already that is published. The new plan is for 10 77Ws to go.

reply1984

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
reply1984 wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:

That is the old plan already that is published. The new plan is for 10 77Ws to go.

Any reliable source?

CX Flyboy

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

reply1984 wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
reply1984 wrote:

Any reliable source?

My management....but I can't share company internal documentation, sorry!

zeke

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
My management....but I can't share company internal documentation, sorry!

And the reality of planning is it can change every month or even more often.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

reply1984

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:27 am

https://news.cathaypacific.com/cathay-p ... ember-2019

Cathay in December: thanks to transit passengers and capacity cut, the passenger load factor improved......

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Yeah, but total flights were down 6.6%. Significant reduction in capacity.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Scotron12

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Article on Leeham on certification on the 777X may push EIS to 2022 and questioning if the 779 is needed at CX with all their retraction.
https://leehamnews.com/2020/01/16/certi ... more-32216

Speedalive

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Article on Leeham on certification on the 777X may push EIS to 2022 and questioning if the 779 is needed at CX with all their retraction.

That’s a very short term point of view. The retraction is a direct result of the protests and the somewhat damaged reputation of the city, but I’m confident that things will settle down and Cathay will recover. They’ve bounced back even stronger after the 1997 Asian Financial crisis, SARS, occupy 2014, etc. I do think that in general, F class is a dying breed, but there will always be a demand for it on routes like LHR, LAX, JFK which is where the 779 comes handy (as well as for heavy cargo routes). I could see the long haul 777 fleet simply comprising of the 21 777X and the 359/35K taking over the rest at some point.

eamondzhang

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 pm

Speedalive wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

That’s a very short term point of view. The retraction is a direct result of the protests and the somewhat damaged reputation of the city, but I’m confident that things will settle down and Cathay will recover. They’ve bounced back even stronger after the 1997 Asian Financial crisis, SARS, occupy 2014, etc. I do think that in general, F class is a dying breed, but there will always be a demand for it on routes like LHR, LAX, JFK which is where the 779 comes handy (as well as for heavy cargo routes). I could see the long haul 777 fleet simply comprising of the 21 777X and the 359/35K taking over the rest at some point.

Not with the current trend IMO, you'll see a even further reduction coming up to CX later on this month with some of the N.A. flights swapped to A350 (including LAX and JFK) and 77Ws are being actively returned and this is only being accelerated. Businesses are moving out of HKG and this will only cause long-term damage.

777X's place in CX is being diminished with the current trend

Michael

CX Flyboy

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 am

There will always be a place in the CX fleet for an efficient high-capacity aircraft with the flexibility to do shorter regional sectors between longhaul flights. The 779 is that aircraft and while there probably won't be 50+ (Like the 77W), we will have a smaller fleet and with high load factors and a bright future, they will definitely be needed.

janders

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:19 am

CX Dragon offering cabin crew 11 month unpaid leaves

Cathay Dragon offers 11 months’ unpaid leave, Cathay Pacific shelves cabin crew ‘extra pay’ as cost-savings plan kicks in
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... AFH7Qy8bJR
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Norman99

Coronavirus another blow to an already vulnerable CX

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Building on a couple points raised in the coronavirus thread, and on the back of an extremely difficult 6 months due to the protests, how does everyone see this affecting the middle to long term position of CX? I see roughly three scenarios possible.

A) Short term pain, but daddy (Swire) has the cash to see them through, and in 12 months it’s business as normal. Plus they’ve seen this all before and know how to ride out a storm or two.

B) This will hurt, and force a considerable downsizing of the airline for the foreseeable future, with redundancies to match.

C) It’s the straw that breakers the camels back, and time for Swire to cash out for good. Expect “Air China-Hong Kong” soon rather than later.

Obviously it’s all just speculation and opinion at this stage, but with mounting calls in Europe and North America to extend flight bans to all China flights, there’s no doubt this will hit the airline hard. Would Hong Kong even be included in any China wide ban, or is it still independent enough to avoid this?

c933103

Re: Coronavirus another blow to an already vulnerable CX

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Some countries like Palau have already banned flights to all of China including Hong Kong.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

ZazuPIT

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Do we need another thread on this? There's a lengthy one already starting to develop.

Norman99

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm

I wasn’t sure. Plenty of discussions about the world wide economic, social and political repercussions of this event, but no so much about the airlines directly affected. If mods feel this is redundant than that’s fine, I’ll continue this discussion over there.

braniff2hav

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm

This is an insane thought ... can't believe I'm typing it. But could we see CX voluntarily reduce service to all by a handful of very primary routes for a period until the virus disappears and unrest eases or goes away in HKG? I really hate that CX is having difficulties because I enjoy flying them, selling them - they have always to me provided an excellent product.

workhorse

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:11 pm

Norman99 wrote:
C) It’s the straw that breakers the camels back, and time for Swire to cash out for good. Expect “Air China-Hong Kong” soon rather than later

Why would Air China want to associate its name with an airline whose reputation in mainland China is trashed beyond all repair (or with anything that has "Hong Kong" in its name for that matter)?

itisi

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:55 pm

c933103 wrote:
Some countries like Palau have already banned flights to all of China including Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has no Palau flights....
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

Scotron12

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:06 am

itisi wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Hong Kong has no Palau flights....

Thank goodness!

Im sure CX will be fine...as noted..they have experienced this before with SARS. And it's not only CX fhat is being effected...it's just unfortunate that this is occuring so soon after the unrest in HKG.

Norman99

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 pm

workhorse wrote:
Norman99 wrote:
C) It’s the straw that breakers the camels back, and time for Swire to cash out for good. Expect “Air China-Hong Kong” soon rather than later

Why would Air China want to associate its name with an airline whose reputation in mainland China is trashed beyond all repair (or with anything that has "Hong Kong" in its name for that matter)?

Because they are the second largest shareholder with a 29% stake, and have been for many years.

It's also long been rumored that the end game is to have full Chinese ownership of the CX group, thus finally removing one of the most symbolic remains of the British Empire in Hong Kong.

workhorse

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Norman99 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Norman99 wrote:

Because they are the second largest shareholder with a 29% stake, and have been for many years.

That stake was purchased long time ago, when Hong Kong was a very different place and CX was a very different airline. Now, it is probably in the "junk bonds" drawer of CA's asset management desk.

Norman99 wrote:
It's also long been rumored that the end game is to have full Chinese ownership of the CX group, thus finally removing one of the most symbolic remains of the British Empire in Hong Kong.

I am afraid that lies very very low in the list of Air China's priorities.

MIflyer12

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd (0293.HK) plans to cut 30% of its global capacity over the short-term, including 90% of capacity to mainland China as it grapples with a sharp fall in demand due to the coronavirus epidemic, its CEO said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... ZY13X?il=0

It seems coronavirus is a bigger short-term hazard than Hong Kong protests.

Speedalive

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd (0293.HK) plans to cut 30% of its global capacity over the short-term, including 90% of capacity to mainland China as it grapples with a sharp fall in demand due to the coronavirus epidemic, its CEO said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... ZY13X?il=0

It seems coronavirus is a bigger short-term hazard than Hong Kong protests.

Not good to hear. I hope the corona virus proves to be enough of a distraction to put an end to the unrest. Maybe it will give the government time to sort themselves out (wishful thinking with CL in office, I know). It seems like it’s calmed down a bit though. That, or media has just moved on and stopped covering it. I’ve certainly picked a great time to be moving to HK for my flying career... :? :lol:

janders

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 pm

CX asking all 27,000 employees to take 3-weeks unpaid leave.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... oyees-take

Also asking vendors for price reductions, implementing a hiring freeze, postponing projects and all nonesential spending.

mercure1

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:09 pm

The 30% networkwide cuts starting to come out.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-05feb20/

Besides many frequency reductions, some cities appear cut entirely - BCN, BRU, CPT, EWR, FCO, MXP, etc
mercure f-wtcc

UPlog

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:59 am

Poor CX. A true double whammy. First the protest and now hysteria around the virus.
I fly your boxes

USAirALB

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 am

I truly feel for all of the CX staff...some dear, dear friends of mine of many years. The whole past year has been really unfortunate for CX. I am sure they will get through it, although very painful times are ahead.

They have also temporarily suspended all reservations on the IAD route, with a decision regarding the routes operation in March to be made soon.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Scotron12

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 am

The world is going bonkers!!

Im sure CX will survive this but some of the smaller caiiers, specifically Air Asia, may not.

Williamsb747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 am

mercure1 wrote:
The 30% networkwide cuts starting to come out.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-05feb20/

Besides many frequency reductions, some cities appear cut entirely - BCN, BRU, CPT, EWR, FCO, MXP, etc

CPT is only not available because it’s seasonal flights. The last week of operations are the only flights cut.

Williams-
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB

sand26391

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:12 am

Which are the KA routes dropped?

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 am

sand26391 wrote:
Which are the KA routes dropped?

I don’t think any route has been dropped, many countries have in place travel restrictions causing customers to defer their travel plans.

The most recent update is here https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/ ... tions.html

I would expect significant reduction in frequencies as customer demand had dropped off as a result.

Rebooking and rerouting charges will be waived for all tickets issued on/before 1 February 2020 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed bookings arriving in, departing from or transiting through Hong Kong between 1 February and 29 February 2020.

See https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/ ... -Kong.html

qf789

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am

Forum Moderator

lowfareair

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:48 pm

I understand why TPE was cut, but going from 13-14 flights/day to 4/week is absolutely insane. I switched a MNL-HKG-JFK flight to start in TPE last week after the Philippines cracked down on HKG/China travelers, looks like I made a poor decision here lol.

EDIT: Actually, reading the person who tweeted the info, I see this:

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 2584985601

Will be 18/week, not 4/week due to through flights from Korea/Japan.

mercure1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 pm

Massive cuts in February and March becoming more apparent.

CX schedule updated to reflect a 52% and 57% reduction in departures for the respective months.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... -more-half
mercure f-wtcc

hongkongflyer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:19 am

lowfareair wrote:
I understand why TPE was cut, but going from 13-14 flights/day to 4/week is absolutely insane. I switched a MNL-HKG-JFK flight to start in TPE last week after the Philippines cracked down on HKG/China travelers, looks like I made a poor decision here lol.

EDIT: Actually, reading the person who tweeted the info, I see this:

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 2584985601

Will be 18/week, not 4/week due to through flights from Korea/Japan.

Taiwan banned all people from China; HK and Macau to Taiwan except for business purpose.

hongkongflyer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 am

Scotron12 wrote:

Im sure CX will survive this but some of the smaller caiiers, specifically Air Asia, may not.

A quick search in Bloomberg, CX market value is 4.4B while AirAsia Group is 4.2B.
No one in Asia will consider Air Asia a small carrier.

Speedalive

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:32 pm

"Cathay Pacific to close three premium airport lounges in Hong Kong as outbreak wreaks havoc on travel - The Bridge and Deck business-class lounges along with the first-class Pier will be closed ‘until further notice’ from Monday"
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3050554/coronavirus-cathay-pacific-close-three-premium-airport

Makes sense. Capacity has been reduced considerably and the remaining flights are probably suffering from reduced LF's. The choice of lounges they decided to close is a shame though as the Pier F-class lounge seemed to be a fan favourite.

yoeleven

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Speedalive wrote:
"Cathay Pacific to close three premium airport lounges in Hong Kong as outbreak wreaks havoc on travel - The Bridge and Deck business-class lounges along with the first-class Pier will be closed ‘until further notice’ from Monday"
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3050554/coronavirus-cathay-pacific-close-three-premium-airport

Makes sense. Capacity has been reduced considerably and the remaining flights are probably suffering from reduced LF's. The choice of lounges they decided to close is a shame though as the Pier F-class lounge seemed to be a fan favourite.

Sucks about the Pier, but understandable. It's far out past many of the gates, while the Wing is right after security. Cabanas are nice, but the Pier is just exceptional in every way throughout. Hope demand recovers soon.

zeke

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

A quick search in Bloomberg, CX market value is 4.4B while AirAsia Group is 4.2B.
No one in Asia will consider Air Asia a small carrier.

Cathay Pacific Market Cap (USD) 5.28 B https://markets.businessinsider.com/sto ... ways-stock
AirAsia Market Cap (USD) 1.09 B https://markets.businessinsider.com/sto ... _bhd-stock

janders

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 pm

25,000 Cathay Pacific employees to participate in unpaid leave

More than 25,000 Cathay Pacific employees to take unpaid leave as airline’s business challenges remain ‘acute’
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... paid-leave