Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

subramak1

Re: Cathay Pacific to cut capacity

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 am

ba319-131 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I'm waiting for CX to suspend SEA because of their reductions, since it's the newest US destination.

SEA & IAD are the two I think most at risk. I've ready many times that IAD has struggled. Now with SQ in SEA I just can't see how CX makes SEA work when DL couldn't.

- Quite a few A350-1000 operating flights on that route to IAD, we have no proof the route is struggling

I flew CX SEA HKG to MAA both ways during the holiday season and the flight was completely full. W class tickets were around $ 3000 par for the course I guess

Subu

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 am

120 CX Group planes parked and approx 75% reduction to the March schedule. :eek:

Cathay Pacific parks half its fleet and slashes nearly three-quarters of March flights
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... hes-nearly
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm

CX closing its Vancouver crew base.

https://skift.com/2020/03/06/cathay-pac ... e-closure/
mercure f-wtcc

lalib

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:37 pm

I seriously hope CX can Mitigate some losses by increased demand for air cargo. The have 14 744 or 748 aircraft.

Scotron12

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 pm

lalib wrote:
I seriously hope CX can Mitigate some losses by increased demand for air cargo. The have 14 744 or 748 aircraft.

Well..looks like they are going to defer deliveries this year and next.

https://www.flightglobal.com/orders-and ... 89.article

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 am

Crazy thing is that COVID-19 hasnt really affected Hong Kong that bad.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

IADCA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

It's completely hammered demand to and from the Mainland.

zeke

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am

IADCA wrote:

There is demand, but blocking that demand is government travel restrictions.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

scbriml

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am

IADCA wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Yes, a compulsory 14-day quarantine for all travellers arriving from mainland China will do that.

My flight from Guangzhou to HK next month on Cathay Dragon has just been cancelled (not that I was ever going to take it given imposed quarantines in Beijing and HK).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

YLWbased

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:16 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
^^^
Interesting. Have two trips to Hong Kong coming up for tourism/fun.

Haven’t had a single concern or thought once about not going. It’s interesting what scares people these days - or, perhaps, let’s them justify their own fears.
Love the city and the food, can’t wait to go back.

Remember to bring enough facemask for your consumption during your trip, majority of the shopping centers, government buildings, hotels & shops will not let you in without you wearing one.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

zakuivcustom

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:51 pm

YLWbased wrote:
Remember to bring enough facemask for your consumption during your trip, majority of the shopping centers, government buildings, hotels & shops will not let you in without you wearing one.

Not really true in HK AFAIK regarding people not allowed into places without face masks. You'll definitely get people stared at you, though...

scbriml wrote:
IADCA wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Yes, a compulsory 14-day quarantine for all travellers arriving from mainland China will do that.

My flight from Guangzhou to HK next month on Cathay Dragon has just been cancelled (not that I was ever going to take it given imposed quarantines in Beijing and HK).

Except...
1. Demand to/from mainland was already decreasing prior to the mandatory quarantine. The quarantine does push the demand down to zero, but it's not like the demand was all that high before that, either.
2. There are also outbound restrictions (i.e. other countries restricting entries of HKers) that further hampered CX/KA. Taiwan? Down to 14/wk and soon 4/wk compare to 16-17 daily. Japan? Went to zero now. SE Asia? Had been going down also.
2b. Then there are HKG-US flights. US restricting any non-citizens that had been to mainland = no more people from Shenzhen or rest of PRD coming down to HKG to get on a CX flight = demand reduced as a result. Yes, HKers can go in/out of US with no problems, but there are also only so many HKers that travel to US at a given time.

Not a fun time for CX/KA either way.

tl;dr: Basically CX is hampered in both direction. The situation regarding nCoV in China itself is improving, just in time for the nCoV situation elsewhere to get way uglier.

lalib

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:27 pm

scbriml wrote:
IADCA wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Some friendly advice when things return to normal. Look into taking the train from Guangzhou to HK instead of a flight. It's more convenient.

mercure1

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 pm

CX released 2019 earnings - surprise HK$1.7 billion (US $218m) profit.

Though 2020 outlook looks grim even as China recovers.

Cathay Pacific’s surprise HK$344 million profit tempered by predictions of ‘substantial loss’ for first half of 2020
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... it-despite
mercure f-wtcc

zeke

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Except...
1. Demand to/from mainland was already decreasing prior to the mandatory quarantine. The quarantine does push the demand down to zero, but it's not like the demand was all that high before that, either.
2. There are also outbound restrictions (i.e. other countries restricting entries of HKers) that further hampered CX/KA. Taiwan? Down to 14/wk and soon 4/wk compare to 16-17 daily. Japan? Went to zero now. SE Asia? Had been going down also.
2b. Then there are HKG-US flights. US restricting any non-citizens that had been to mainland = no more people from Shenzhen or rest of PRD coming down to HKG to get on a CX flight = demand reduced as a result. Yes, HKers can go in/out of US with no problems, but there are also only so many HKers that travel to US at a given time.

I think in my opinion this is all politics and perception, HKG and MFM are being grouped with mainland China by foreign governments for fear of failure to recognise “one China”.

I won’t touch one events of 2H of 2019, how state owned airlines north of the border predicted the uptick in traffic before things unfolded in HKG, and how magically SZX at the same time all of a sudden this week have a 3rd runway design (realistically 2 years to plan). How many times does lightning need to strike in the same spot for something not to be a coincidence.

We see companies lifting travel restrictions to SIN when they have more cases than HKG and MFM combined. USA, most countries in the EU, Australia, Middle East, Malaysia, Singapore all have more cases than HKG and MFM combined.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

YLWbased

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:32 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
YLWbased wrote:

Not really true in HK AFAIK regarding people not allowed into places without face masks. You'll definitely get people stared at you, though...

scbriml wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Except...

Not a fun time for CX/KA either way.

tl;dr: Basically CX is hampered in both direction. The situation regarding nCoV in China itself is improving, just in time for the nCoV situation elsewhere to get way uglier.

I just got kicked out of Broadway for not wearing one, dude....

YLWbased

zakuivcustom

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:06 pm

zeke wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Except...

I think in my opinion this is all politics and perception, HKG and MFM are being grouped with mainland China by foreign governments for fear of failure to recognise “one China”.

I won’t touch one events of 2H of 2019, how state owned airlines north of the border predicted the uptick in traffic before things unfolded in HKG, and how magically SZX at the same time all of a sudden this week have a 3rd runway design (realistically 2 years to plan). How many times does lightning need to strike in the same spot for something not to be a coincidence.

We see companies lifting travel restrictions to SIN when they have more cases than HKG and MFM combined. USA, most countries in the EU, Australia, Middle East, Malaysia, Singapore all have more cases than HKG and MFM combined.

I don't disagree - Europe in particular is a mess right now, but somehow HKers are blocked first but not many European countries (other than US, of course) nor places like Singapore (Singaporeans are blocked from Israel, India, and a few countries that block everybody, but that's about it...).

At least HKG ain't MFM. MFM is affected even though there are no new cases in Macau for awhile. There are like what? 5 flights out of MFM today?

Speedalive

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm

CX postponed all Second Officer courses indefinitely this week, leaving many of us without jobs. Somehow they're still finding money for the cadets though. Fun times. I have a feeling the hiring won't resume until the end of this year, if not next year at best. The worst probably still hasn't come either - I think layoffs might be coming in the not too distant future.
The hysteria is making this so much worst than it needs to be and the people treating it just like the flu are a real problem too. You might feel absolutely no symptoms, but you might be directly, or indirectly killing a senior, or infecting a child. It's too bad we can't just shut down the world for two weeks and get it over with.

whatThe

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Preliminary February stats for HKG have been published.

February passenger count was down 68.0% year-on-year. Aircraft movements were down 44.5% and freight tonnage was down 8.7%. That's basically the same decline seen for SARS in 2003 which was the only time since 1998 (when the data begins) that the passenger count was as low as it is now.

As a reference point, it took about four months for the passenger count to reach pre-SARS levels.

spinotter

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:29 am

lalib wrote:
scbriml wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Some friendly advice when things return to normal. Look into taking the train from Guangzhou to HK instead of a flight. It's more convenient.

Or how about the train from HK to Guangzhou Baiyun?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:47 am

CX reduce April-May capacity by 96 percent!

Only service to operate are:
3 flights per week to 12 destinations: London (Heathrow), Los Angeles, Vancouver, Tokyo (Narita), Taipei, New Delhi, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, Singapore and Sydney.

Cathay Dragon will operate 3 flights per week to 3 destinations: Beijing, Shanghai (Pudong), and Kuala Lumpur.

https://news.cathaypacific.com/cathay-p ... il-and-may

VRHNM

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 am

Cathay Pacific’s subsidiary HK Express has announced to suspend all operations until April 30.

onwFan

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 pm

LAXintl wrote:

3 flights per week to 12 destinations: London (Heathrow), Los Angeles, Vancouver, Tokyo (Narita), Taipei, New Delhi, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, Singapore and Sydney.

Cathay Dragon will operate 3 flights per week to 3 destinations: Beijing, Shanghai (Pudong), and Kuala Lumpur.

If anything, this should give a clear picture of the demand in Asia right now. I am surprised that UA and DL are still planning to fly their Asia routes this summer.

eamondzhang

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 am

onwFan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

If anything, this should give a clear picture of the demand in Asia right now. I am surprised that UA and DL are still planning to fly their Asia routes this summer.

This tells you the demand for April-May within the region, but is not and will not be a reflection of what will be going on during the summer. Heck you can't even perdict how things will be in April now, and let alone in summer?

Michael

DarQuiet

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm

You will sense that CX is in serious trouble that they had to sell some of their asset just to maintain liquidity...

https://www.flightglobal.com/orders-and ... 20.article

VirginFlyer

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm

DarQuiet wrote:
You will sense that CX is in serious trouble that they had to sell some of their asset just to maintain liquidity...

I sense that pretty much every operator around the world is in serious trouble by virtue of the fact they have having to reduce operations so drastically. Sales and leasebacks are sensible moves, and we are likely to see plenty of them as airlines look to weather this storm.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

DarQuiet

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
DarQuiet wrote:

I sense that pretty much every operator around the world is in serious trouble by virtue of the fact they have having to reduce operations so drastically. Sales and leasebacks are sensible moves, and we are likely to see plenty of them as airlines look to weather this storm.

V/F

Indeed it's all of the operators are struggling right now. Meaning, each is trying to figure out ways to get money but kudos to CX for acting fast (bonus of luck as well) closing this transaction. It's not and easy feat to instantly do a sale and leaseback with a trusted lessor amidst a plummeting market.

MRYapproach

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:27 am

onwFan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

That’ll never happen. (UA and DL)

Why fly at all? Seems like demand is single digits per flight.
Mostly repatriating citizens? Cheap airfare junkies?

Ground the planes. Conserve cash. Ask governments for help.

SueD

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 am

MRYapproach wrote:
onwFan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

That’ll never happen. (UA and DL)

Why fly at all? Seems like demand is single digits per flight.
Mostly repatriating citizens? Cheap airfare junkies?

Ground the planes. Conserve cash. Ask governments for help.

Key belly cargo routes and definitely still some demand and indeed critical service travel requirements

mercure1

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:48 pm

In some good news, CX bringing back additional flights. Service to BKK and DEL will resume May 3 and 6. Will bring service network to 16 destinations through June 30th.
mercure f-wtcc

Speedalive

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:49 am

mercure1 wrote:
In some good news, CX bringing back additional flights. Service to BKK and DEL will resume May 3 and 6. Will bring service network to 16 destinations through June 30th.

Do you have a source for this? This is great news!

Ishrion

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:07 am

The 777X cancellation thread was closed, but more sources are reporting Cathay is considering deferring or switching the 777X to 787s.

https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... ssion=true

factsonly

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:10 am

mercure1 wrote:

In Europe CX has operated to LHR, CDG, FRA at a very low frequency, while .....

a CX pax a/c arrived in AMS yesterday (with a 24hr crew stop).

- 23 Apr 2020 CX271 HKG - AMS A35K B-LXK Landed 06:06
- 24 Apr 2020 CX270 AMS - HKG A35K B-LXK Departure 12:15
- 26 Apr 2020 CX271 HKG - AMS 351 Scheduled
- 27 Apr 2020 CX270 AMS - HKG 351 Scheduled

Near daily CX B747-8 cargo operations HKG-AMS-FRA-HKG and HKG-FRA-AMS-HKG have continued throughout.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Speedalive wrote:
Do you have a source for this? This is great news!

Shown in GDS already

For example 06 May
CX751 HKG-BKK 1425-1630 333

mercure1

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:12 pm

DEL resumption posted by Airline Route.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2020/
mercure f-wtcc

YLWbased

CX to increase over all network capacity in June

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 am

With Hong Kong's situation somewhat under control and the government is slowly lifting restrictions, CX has announced today that they'll increase overall network capacity from the current 3% to 5% in June.

The proposed routes for June operation are as follow:
LHR - 5x Weekly
LAX - 5x Weekly
YVR - 5x Weekly
SYD - 5x Weekly
AMS* - 3x Weekly
FRA* - 3x Weekly
SFO* - 3x Weekly
MEL* - 3x Weekly
BOM* - 3x Weekly
DEL - 3x Weekly
NRT - Daily
KIX* - Daily
ICN* - Daily
TPE - Daily
MNL - Daily
BKK - Daily
CGK - Daily
SGN - Daily
SIN - Daily

KA:
PEK - Daily
PVG - Daily
KUL - Daily

*Are currently suspended routes.

Source (in Traditional Chinese): https://inews.hket.com/article/2629630/ ... ?mtc=20037

YLWbased

c933103

Re: CX to increase over all network capacity in June

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 am

Effective from June 21.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

reply1984

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 am

factsonly wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

In Europe CX has operated to LHR, CDG, FRA at a very low frequency, while .....

a CX pax a/c arrived in AMS yesterday (with a 24hr crew stop).

- 23 Apr 2020 CX271 HKG - AMS A35K B-LXK Landed 06:06
- 24 Apr 2020 CX270 AMS - HKG A35K B-LXK Departure 12:15
- 26 Apr 2020 CX271 HKG - AMS 351 Scheduled
- 27 Apr 2020 CX270 AMS - HKG 351 Scheduled

Near daily CX B747-8 cargo operations HKG-AMS-FRA-HKG and HKG-FRA-AMS-HKG have continued throughout.

These are for cargo operation.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 4:52 am

CX in a letter to employees says its looking at long term permanent structural changes to preserve the business.

Hong Kong’s flag carrier is mulling scenarios that could reduce staff headcount, routes served and planes flown, as well as the possible consolidation of its airline brands, in drastic steps that would mirror those taken by rivals in recent weeks. “Given the very dynamic situation we are currently in, we are not taking anything off the table and we can’t rule out anything to ensure our airline business will come out from the crisis stronger and more competitive.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... e-see-hong

Speedalive

Thu May 07, 2020 4:53 am

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3083196/coronavirus-cathay-pacific-eyes-structural-change-see-hong
I wonder if this might be the end of KA. It would make sense to just consolidate KA and CX as a unified full service carrier under the Cathay Pacific name and then have HK Express cover the low cost segment. I realize KA has more respect and brand awareness in mainland China, but with it now being renamed to Cathay Dragon, I imagine they might have inherited some of the negative press that CX received last year during the protests. They could get rid of excess widebody capacity by replacing them one to one with the absorbed narrowbodies from KA. That and replacing the 779 order with 78X's could help mitigate the effects of reduced demand. Just spit balling. Cathay has been exceptionally slow to react to the crisis in terms of staff redundancies and fleet restructuring. I'm not sure if their management knows something that other airlines don't, or if they're just being indecisive.

hongkongflyer

[rumor] CX Group brand consolidation

Fri May 08, 2020 7:40 am

CX will soon announce the brand consolidation, the brand "Cathay Dragon" will be retired.

InnsbruckFlyer

Re: [rumor] CX Group brand consolidation

Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am

Interesting... What's your source?
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

Antaras

Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 am

Please add some sauce, thank you
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

hongkongflyer

Fri May 08, 2020 8:20 am

Local medias (sadly all in Chinese) and TV finance news programs are talking about it.
Rumor said official news will be announced after 5pm (GMT+8) today.

Source: https://inews.hket.com/article/2638071/ ... 72SVw1DAM8

MrHMSH

Fri May 08, 2020 8:41 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
CX will soon announce the brand consolidation, the brand "Cathay Dragon" will be retired.

Just like SQ then! The A330s will obviously be integrated easily, but the A321neos will be new for CX. When did CX last operate narrowbodies (if they ever did)?

mrkerr7474

Fri May 08, 2020 8:46 am

MrHMSH wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:

Just like SQ then! The A330s will obviously be integrated easily, but the A321neos will be new for CX. When did CX last operate narrowbodies (if they ever did)?

The link above when translated into English states they would abandon the Cathay Dragon in favour for Cathay Express instead

flee

Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:

The link above when translated into English states they would abandon the Cathay Dragon in favour for Cathay Express instead

That means one LCC (Cathay Express) and one legacy (Cathay Pacific).

It would be interesting to see if the KA A330 fleet will be completely retired and medium range flights deploy the A321Neo (LR or XLR). Will CX also convert some A330s to freighters?

InnsbruckFlyer

Fri May 08, 2020 8:58 am

Wasn't CX going to acquire Hong Kong Express (UO) and make that Cathay Express? So would they basically merge KA and UO?
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

Wingtips56

Fri May 08, 2020 9:01 am

I'm surprised. "Dragon" seems like a classier brand than the usually looked down on "Express". Unless that really would be a new turboprop/RJ feeder, and the Dragon Airbus flying would all become mainline.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

eta unknown

Fri May 08, 2020 9:02 am

MrHMSH wrote:

The CX Boeing 707!

hongkongflyer

Fri May 08, 2020 9:11 am

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Wasn't CX going to acquire Hong Kong Express (UO) and make that Cathay Express? So would they basically merge KA and UO?

UO already 100% owned by CX for months.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos