Antarius
Topic Author

Drastically different routings

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 pm

I am currently on https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL380 and my coworker is on https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KMDW/KLGA

Both flights from Chicago (mine from ORD and theirs from MDW) headed to LGA that left within 20 minutes of each other. Why are the routings so wildly different? We are taking a tour of the Carolinas while the WN flight is dipping south to avoid the WX but otherwise continuing on in a straight route.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

PSAatSAN4Ever

Re: Drastically different routings

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 pm

I know that SQ's SIN-EWR flights always flew east to take advantage of winds, and this is true for West Coast USA - Europe flights as well.

As far as weather-avoidance routes, I know this is up to the individual airline, but beyond that, I can't answer.

alasizon

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Sequencing and opening/closing of routes into the NYC airspace can play a big role. Certain routes will open and close as the storms move around and that difference can be as little as 10 minutes. It was a 30+ minute difference in take-off time so its certainly possible that the route WN is taking wasn't available when AA took off.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Antarius
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 pm

alasizon wrote:
Sequencing and opening/closing of routes into the NYC airspace can play a big role. Certain routes will open and close as the storms move around and that difference can be as little as 10 minutes. It was a 30+ minute difference in take-off time so its certainly possible that the route WN is taking wasn't available when AA took off.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Had seen divergent routings before, but the degree of this one really piqued my curiosity.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

jetblastdubai

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Antarius wrote:
Why are the routings so wildly different?

Looking at the filed routes (by company dispatchers) AA filed over BVT234014, which would be an initial south routing out of the Chicago terminal area. WN filed over GIJ, which is an east fix out of the terminal area. Once you're established either south or east of Chicago, it's a little tricky maneuvering back to the other area and cris-crossing the arrival stream into Chicago.

Dispatchers might have different criteria for filing flight plans to avoid certain weather areas or avoiding forecast congested ATC sectors.

Having worked ORD ATC for years, it's also possible that the Center (ZAU or ZOB) placed some in-trail restrictions on GIJ traffic out of the area and it was actually faster for AA to depart on a south track and fly a longer route instead of waiting on the ground in line with a handful of other GIJ jets ahead of them. There could be any number of reason for the routing.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

rbretas

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:56 am

How about such a long detour depending on the direction on a route this short?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /RJTT/RJNT
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /RJNT/RJTT

And that pattern have been stable for years. Is it because of the approach in HND or to avoid the alps? I have always been curious about that.

eamondzhang

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 am

rbretas wrote:
How about such a long detour depending on the direction on a route this short?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /RJTT/RJNT
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /RJNT/RJTT

And that pattern have been stable for years. Is it because of the approach in HND or to avoid the alps? I have always been curious about that.

The way HND is set up for arrival plus there was a bit in the middle where there's no civil flight path AFAIK. For HND arrival it's either from North (as shown in the routing from TOJ) or from the South - which would be a even bigger detour given they also can't fly over Mt. Fuji.

Michael

Scarebus34

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 am

It's all due to our horribly inefficient ATC system...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos