Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bob75013
Topic Author

Boeing, Boom Supersonic or ??? looking to open a big factory in British Columbia

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm

"An American aerospace company studying sites for a new factory is talking with a city in British Columbia about a potential $622 million factory that would employ up to 10,000 workers.

The potential deal was outlined city of Abbotsford report prepared by economic development for a Sept. 17 meeting of the city's business innovation growth and attraction committee.

The report did not identify the interested company, did state that during the past three months, the city's staff have been engaged with a "U.S. firm currently in their site selection period is considering Abbotsford as a Canadian site for development for manufacturing plant."

"Depending on which of two options they choose, this opportunity could be $125 million investment and 7,000 new jobs or $830 million investment and 10,000+ new jobs," the report said, quoting figures in Canadian dollars. "Next round of engagement is due to occur in January 2020.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... yptr=yahoo

lostsound

Re: Boeing, Boom Supersonic or ??? looking to open a big factory in British Columbia

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Perhaps Airbus USA building more A220s in Canada? Could be Boom as you say... interesting development non the less to me as I grew up in Langley, not far away.

NameOmitted

Re: Boeing, Boom Supersonic or ??? looking to open a big factory in British Columbia

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Is Boom selling enough aircraft to keep 10,000 people employed?

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:22 pm

NameOmitted wrote:

Well, its says "Depending on which of two options they choose, this opportunity could be $125 million investment and 7,000 new jobs or $830 million investment and 10,000+ new jobs," so sounds more like optimistic sales outlook and best case scenarios.

But honestly I don't feel like it can be Boom, even best case I find it hard to see them employing 10000+.

Boeing NMA production makes a lot more sense... Boeing maybe trying to make PR amends in Canada and cheaper workforce than WA but within easy logistical access of Seattle area plants already in existence. A FAL-only site (final assembly only, IE Renton 737 or Mobile A220 type) could theoretically employ 7000 "locally", a more fully integrated production facility (IE Charleston) could easily exceed 10000 "locally" if the NMA takes off like expected.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

AirbusCanada

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, it is probably a 2nd or 3rd tier supplier rather than any 1st tear engine or airframe oem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

musman9853

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm

NameOmitted wrote:

they dont even have thier demonstrator built...
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

AirbusCanada wrote:
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, it is probably a 2nd or 3rd tier supplier rather than any 1st tear engine or airframe oem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That doesn't fit the dollar or employee amounts... The A220 line in Mobile for example is estimated at $250-350 million in construction and start up costs... What 3rd tier supplier center comes even close to even $125 million? Much less $830 million?
Last edited by northstardc4m on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

YYZORD

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 pm

This makes sense that it'll be Boeing. Boeing's headquarters is in Everett which is closer to the Vancouver Metro Area than Downtown Seattle. I went by car from Abbotsford to Seattle and the drive from Abbotsford to Everett takes about 2 hours. Which company wouldn't want to be close to their corporate headquarters?

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 pm

YYZORD wrote:
This makes sense that it'll be Boeing. Boeing's headquarters is in Everett which is closer to the Vancouver Metro Area than Downtown Seattle. I went by car from Abbotsford to Seattle and the drive from Abbotsford to Everett takes about 2 hours. Which company wouldn't want to be close to their corporate headquarters?

Just to correct, Boeing's headquarters is in Chicago. But they have several manufacturing facilities in the Seattle area including Everett.

YYZORD

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Just to correct, Boeing's headquarters is in Chicago. But they have several manufacturing facilities in the Seattle area including Everett.

Sorry my mistake!

ssteve

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:07 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

PAE is also a lot closer to SEA than YVR.

Spetsnaz55

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Yep everett is 26 miles from downtown seattle and 86 from canadian border lol

Erebus

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:55 pm

NameOmitted wrote:

Yeah I wondered how an Aircraft maker can open up a facility in a completely new location and employ that many people quickly. Look at Airbus's Mobile facility for example: built at a cost of around $600 million and said to employ up to around 1000 workers when it achieves full capacity.

452QX

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:22 pm

YYZORD wrote:

The Boeing International HQ is in Chicago (as was pointed out) but if you’re thinking of Boeing Commercial Airplanes then they’re still headquartered in Seattle, not Everett

YYZORD

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 pm

ssteve wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

PAE is also a lot closer to SEA than YVR.

Sorry my wording was wrong, I mean't to say that Everett is more closer to the Canadian Border than Downtown Seattle to Canadian border when you account traffic.

T4thH

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Sorry, but what are these for numbers? 7.000 jobs for 125 million $? To sew seat covers by hand for the passenger seats?

A small FAL alone (for 5 jets/month narrowbody) will cost something around 300 to 500 million and will give jobs for 400 staff. A big full production FAL for 10 jets/month (narrowbody) and 1000 max. new jobs is something around 600 millions.

[Ironic on]For 125 million $ in best case, 7000 people can be equipped with brush, cleaning cloth, bucket and vacuum cleaner and can start to clean the passenger cabins of jets globally. And this can be than called "American airlines service company"[/ironic off]

Canuck600

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Maybe a rotary wing company? Costs won't be cheaper then Washington state I'm sure

Erebus

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 pm

T4thH wrote:
Sorry, but what are these for numbers? 7.000 jobs for 125 million $? To sew seat covers by hand for the passenger seats?

A small FAL alone (for 5 jets/month narrowbody) will cost something around 300 to 500 million and will give jobs for 400 staff. A big full production FAL for 10 jets/month (narrowbody) and 1000 max. new jobs is something around 600 millions.

[Ironic on]For 125 million $ in best case, 7000 people can be equipped with brush, cleaning cloth, bucket and vacuum cleaner and can start to clean the passenger cabins of jets globally. And this can be than called "American airlines service company"[/ironic off]

lol, right. Call me skeptical too. To quote Airbus on their entire Toulouse operations: "Airbus in Toulouse employs some 16,000 people: around 11,000 in the five Airbus Operations SAS sites and 5,000 in Airbus Central Entity, the headquarters."

Putting up a facility that gets 10,000 people to work in it sounds like a scale of operations that significantly rivals Airbus's Toulouse operations...

Edit: Hamburg has about 12,500 employees.

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 pm

Does BC has a history of pay-to-play incentives on the scale of Alabama or South Carolina? Is this being rumored just to pull the Quebecois into the game big time?

fairk

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Could this be part of a company's bid for the Canadian Jet Fighter RFP ? There is a requirement for Canadian-based suppliers in that bid, although the Liberal govt just re-wrote the spec at the request of the US govt so that the F35 would not be discriminated against in this regard.

incitatus

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:05 am

Those huge windows on their supersonic aircraft drawings just tell me they more a marketing company than one than can engineer a supersonic aircraft.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

gunsontheroof

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 am

452QX wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

The Boeing International HQ is in Chicago (as was pointed out) but if you’re thinking of Boeing Commercial Airplanes then they’re still headquartered in Seattle, not Everett

Might as well pile on...BCA HQ is in Renton, not Everett. ;)
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

smithbs

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:46 am

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
Yep everett is 26 miles from downtown seattle and 86 from canadian border lol

Yes, but in terms of time during rush hour...it's not so different, so long as border wait times swing your way. People commute down to Everett from Bellingham in about the time it may take to get from Everett to Seattle.

fairk wrote:
Could this be part of a company's bid for the Canadian Jet Fighter RFP ? There is a requirement for Canadian-based suppliers in that bid, although the Liberal govt just re-wrote the spec at the request of the US govt so that the F35 would not be discriminated against in this regard.

I don't think it would be the F-35. The F-35 global ecosystem is set in stone (mostly - the Turks could chime in on that one!). A new FAL for F-35 would require the global system of contracts to be massaged, which probably won't happen.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 am

Hmmm.... Could be Boeing for the NMA.... Could be Boom, except I don't think they have the $5-10 Billion lined up yet to progress to that level (but would be amazingly good if it was Boom).

I don't think its Airbus... but, it might be (they are looking to become more efficient - and perhaps the answer is a new moving assembly line from scratch and then rebuilding other locations once it's up and running.

I think its a bit big for Viking (DHC1-DHC7) and its partner producing the DHC8 (Q400)... but, it's plausible as a replacement for the current facilities if new Q400 sales occur.

Interesting Speculation: Might it be the Chinese C929 or similar. One way to help get it certified in the West. Likely a lot of redesign and rework... But could be....

Have a great day,

Xtremespeed01

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 am

Could it be another Boeing–Embraer FAL for the E2 Jets and future products?

LaunchDetected

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 am

https://www.abbynews.com/news/analysis-massive-aerospace-plant-far-from-certain-but-would-reshape-abbotsford/#

My bet is on a F-18 plant. Regarding the numbers, you can put everything you want inside.
Caravelle lover

Noshow

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am

How many F-18 would Canada want? And what would Boeing's existing F-18 factory build in the future?

Aesma

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:06 am

That's a gigantic amount of people, there is no way it's to make low production numbers fighter aircraft or hypothetical supersonic dreamliners. Even car factories nowadays don't have that many people !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NameOmitted

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Just to explore another avenue, what if the American aviation company in question is something like GE or Raytheon, and the plant is for more then their aviation holdings?

Canada may simply become a safer bet for assembling things with a large foreign content

Gulfstream500

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm

McDonnell-Douglas and their MD-90NEO
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos