HP69
Topic Author

AA CLT growth

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 pm

AA has stated that they will continue to expand their CLT network, but they don’t really have many potential new routes. Internationally, I can’t really see anything aside from maybe NRT. Domestically, they can continue to add small Midwest cities that DL serves from ATL, but after that there isn’t much to add. What are your thoughts?

Ishrion

Re: AA CLT growth

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Internationally, they're very constricted until new gates open up or until the A321XLR joins the fleet for secondary Europe.

However, if gates weren't an issue, I could see them switch MAD to year-round? Sort of surprised it's still seasonal.

Domestically, more seasonal markets? JAC/EGE? Maybe even FCA/BZN?

Internationally, seasonal MAN/AMS/ZRH?

American 767

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:24 pm

I think that they can still consider adding a few more underserved markets in the North East and South East, in the North East markets such as ALB, SYR, ROC, BUF, SWF, BDL and MDT, and in the South East markets such as SAV, HHH, MLB, ...look at what small markets on the East Coast that they are still not serving nonstop from CLT. And yes more small markets on the Midwest could be added, TVC and GRR for example. All of the markets I mention would be served by American Eagle, Envoy for example, with CR9 and E170 equipment. And that will provide additional feed on flights to major markets on the West Coast and Europe.
Ben Soriano

toltommy

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Because the cost per pax at CLT is so low, and there's so much room to grow, a lot of new service could work there that won't work at other AA hubs. As you point out, a lot of domestic dots could still be connected from CLT. CLT-Asia isn't going to happen, as AA is using DFW and LAX to grow those markets. International to Europe should be a growth area. PHL is close to maxed out in the summer. You saw it this year with FRA and MUC being moved to CLT. Thats where those low PPE costs paid off. CLT is 80%+ connecting traffic, PHL is around 55-60% connecting. Expect AA to find more opportunity to connect more traffic over CLT. AA has had pretty good luck with creating seasonal international markets over PHL. We may see more of that over CLT in the near future as well.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

Ishrion

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:34 pm

American 767 wrote:
I think that they can still consider adding a few more underserved markets in the North East and South East, in the North East markets such as ALB, SYR, ROC, BUF, SWF, BDL and MDT, and in the South East markets such as SAV, HHH, MLB, ...look at what small markets on the East Coast that they are still not serving nonstop from CLT. And yes more small markets on the Midwest could be added, TVC and GRR for example. All of the markets I mention would be served by American Eagle, Envoy for example, with CR9 and E170 equipment. And that will provide additional feed on flights to major markets on the West Coast and Europe.

AA already serves ALB/SYR/ROC/BUF/BDL/MDT/SAV/HHH/MLB/GRR/TVC from CLT?

Not SWF, though.

chepos

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Don’t underestimate CLT, thanks to it’s low cost and it’s convenient location in the SE the hub thrives. It is no ATL, but the only other major hub in the region which helps serve as an alternative. I am sure more connecting of the dots will happen with markets in the Midwest. There has been rumors of a third LHR flight, we will have to wait and see. As mentioned up thread, MAD has the potential in the future of going year round and in my opinion so could CDG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

usairways85

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:57 pm

toltommy wrote:
Because the cost per pax at CLT is so low, and there's so much room to grow, a lot of new service could work there that won't work at other AA hubs. As you point out, a lot of domestic dots could still be connected from CLT. CLT-Asia isn't going to happen, as AA is using DFW and LAX to grow those markets. International to Europe should be a growth area. PHL is close to maxed out in the summer. You saw it this year with FRA and MUC being moved to CLT. Thats where those low PPE costs paid off. CLT is 80%+ connecting traffic, PHL is around 55-60% connecting. Expect AA to find more opportunity to connect more traffic over CLT. AA has had pretty good luck with creating seasonal international markets over PHL. We may see more of that over CLT in the near future as well.

As an airport (all airlines), PHL is actually only 35-40% connecting.

chepos

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm

American 767 wrote:

AA and before that US has flown many of those routes for years. Some even see mainline equipment, such as ALB/MDT/BUF/BDL etc.

Fly the Flag!!!!

DDR

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Who would have ever thought you would see AA flying the 737-800 between CLT and TUL? US wouldn’t have been able to do it but AA does. From many cities, CLT works just as good as ATL for connections to east coast destinations.

MGC1191

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I wish we would bet a nonstop HNL flight again.

Ishrion

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:18 pm

DDR wrote:
Who would have ever thought you would see AA flying the 737-800 between CLT and TUL? US wouldn’t have been able to do it but AA does. From many cities, CLT works just as good as ATL for connections to east coast destinations.

I mean, U.S. Airways didn't have the 737-800 :spin:

Don't forget TUL is an AA maintenance base, so some aircraft probably transition through there.

AA's recently been upgauging many flights from regional to mainline. DFW to EYW, MSN, XNA, etc.

Expect a lot more.

Delta28L

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Internationally, they're very constricted until new gates open up or until the A321XLR joins the fleet for secondary Europe.

However, if gates weren't an issue, I could see them switch MAD to year-round? Sort of surprised it's still seasonal.

Domestically, more seasonal markets? JAC/EGE? Maybe even FCA/BZN?

Internationally, seasonal MAN/AMS/ZRH?

The A321XLR would be seat restricted if it had the range and in the winter time they would have a hard time making the westbound flights with the head winds. What secondary cities in Europe would CLT be able to support? They can’t even do some big name cities year round. The A321XLR would do better in PHL and JFK for AA. FCA and BZN could be done through ORD and DFW. I could see EGE or JAC as a seasonal flight to compete with DL out of ATL.

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

toltommy wrote:

I understand the concept, but it seems like CLT would need some (seasonal?) domestic growth to support thus and I’m not sure what that would look like.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sargester

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:54 pm

American 767 wrote:

You do realize AA serves all but SWF from CLT that you just listed right?

uconn99

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm

American 767 wrote:

As already mentioned, AA serves most of the cities well outside of SWF who has no service to CLT. There could be some added frequencies (ALB, SYR, ROC, BUF, PVD) and some mainline upgrades (GRR, SAV, ROC, MDT) but for the most part all of the cities listed are well connected to CLT. How many banks does AA run out of CLT?

SAV-CLT- 8x daily (6x CR9, 2x 319)
BDL-CLT- 6x daily (2x 738, 2x 319, 1x 321, 1x 320)
PVD-CLT- 5x daily (2x 738, 2x 319, 1x 321) plus Frontier 4x weekly 320
MDT-CLT- 5x daily (2x 319, 1x CR9, 3x ERJ)
SYR-CLT- 4x daily (2x 738, 1x 320, 1x CR7)
ROC-CLT- 4x daily (4x CR9)
BUF-CLT- 3x daily (319/320)
GRR-CLT- 3x daily (CR7/CR9)
ALB-CLT- 3x daily (319/320/738)
HHH-CLT- 3x daily (E175)
MLB-CLT- 3x daily (CR7/CR9)
Last edited by uconn99 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sargester

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:56 pm

AA as of right now is pretty limited is correct for international expansion until they get more gates to work with, CLT-ATH comes to mind in potential new seasonal routes, year-round ones would be like CLT-AMS and ZRH

flyfresno

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I know this sounds crazy at first, but hear me out: FAT.

AA will have up to 4X per day FAT-DFW this winter, will have 2X mainline FAT-PHX (out of 5X total), and continues with 4X FAT-LAX. While they could continue to upguage PHX, or add ORD (which doesn’t appear to be a focus for them right now), they could also add CLT.

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:30 pm

flyfresno wrote:

AA will have up to 4X per day FAT-DFW this winter, will have 2X mainline FAT-PHX (out of 5X total), and continues with 4X FAT-LAX. While they could continue to upguage PHX, or add ORD (which doesn’t appear to be a focus for them right now), they could also add CLT.

What redeyes does FAT have right now? That seems like an area where AA could potentially add value with a CLT flight, which would also help with aircraft utilization and perhaps take up a CLT gate at a less busy time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm

flyfresno wrote:

No, it's crazy on the 2nd and 3rd thought, too. When ATL-ONT has struggled over the years something like CLT-FAT has no chance. Be happy with the DFW frequencies. You wouldn't just be overflying DFW, CLT has less than half the O&D traffic of DFW.

flyfresno

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

What redeyes does FAT have right now? That seems like an area where AA could potentially add value with a CLT flight, which would also help with aircraft utilization and perhaps take up a CLT gate at a less busy time.

DFW, ORD, and a slew of Mexican destinations (will be up to 4 per night, and might even see the occasional 5 per night around holidays!)

Ishrion

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Looks like there's only 4 red-eyes out of FAT right now:

UA A319/738 FAT-ORD departs 23:15
Aeromexico 738 FAT-GDL departs 23:30
AA 738 FAT-DFW departs 00:55
Volaris A320neo FAT-GDL departs 01:05

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm

HP69 wrote:
AA has stated that they will continue to expand their CLT network, but they don’t really have many potential new routes.

Have you bothered to compare the destination sets of AA @ CLT to DL @ ATL? AA couldn't make every destination work (ATL has a lot more O&D) but ATL is a useful benchmark.

flyfresno

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:43 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

No, it's crazy on the 2nd and 3rd thought, too. When ATL-ONT has struggled over the years something like CLT-FAT has no chance. Be happy with the DFW frequencies. You wouldn't just be overflying DFW, CLT has less than half the O&D traffic of DFW.

How much more capacity does AA add on existing routes before they consider a new one? Yes, PHX could go all mainline, but that’s about all there is left, and I’m pretty sure OO wants at least the terminator for overnight mx. The airport grew at close to 15% last year, a lot of it on AA and UA. With ONT, you are talking about a completely different airline. The overflight part is definitely a valid argument, but with the current growth, it’s a matter of when, not if, we see another destination in the central or eastern US.

flyfresno

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Looks like there's only 4 red-eyes out of FAT right now:

UA A319/738 FAT-ORD departs 23:15
Aeromexico 738 FAT-GDL departs 23:30
AA 738 FAT-DFW departs 00:55
Volaris A320neo FAT-GDL departs 01:05

There’s also a 2nd Volaris to GDL some nights, plus, 2X per week to MLM and 2x per week to BJX starting in October.

American 767

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

sargester wrote:
American 767 wrote:

Now I do, yes. I meant to say SOME of these markets that are still not served, SWF being one of them. Another one that comes to my mind is ISP. It is only from PHL that AA flies to ISP.
Ben Soriano

Ishrion

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:33 pm

American 767 wrote:
sargester wrote:
American 767 wrote:

Now I do, yes. I meant to say SOME of these markets that are still not served, SWF being one of them. Another one that comes to my mind is ISP. It is only from PHL that AA flies to ISP.

SWF is the only one that’s not served from CLT.

DDR

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Ishrion wrote:
DDR wrote:

LOL good point my friend!

DeltaRules

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Ishrion wrote:
DDR wrote:

Don't forget TUL is an AA maintenance base, so some aircraft probably transition through there.

AA's recently been upgauging many flights from regional to mainline. DFW to EYW, MSN, XNA, etc.

Expect a lot more.

The other side of this has been routes like DAY-DFW which, once the MD-80 left, became all-E75. I was hoping they'd have kept mainline on that route.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

maps4ltd

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Didn't AA have either CLT-SJC or CLT-OAK (probably OAK) as a summer seasonal a year or two ago? Cut it quick, along with CLT-TUS. Is CLT-ABQ even still around?
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Ionosphere

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm surprised ISP doesnt have CLT service

chepos

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Didn't AA have either CLT-SJC or CLT-OAK (probably OAK) as a summer seasonal a year or two ago? Cut it quick, along with CLT-TUS. Is CLT-ABQ even still around?

It was SJC, and no ABQ is no longer served.

Fly the Flag!!!!

airlineworker

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 pm

One problem not mentioned is the ground operations. Many times it takes over 20 minutes or more to reach the gates and adding more flights will make it worse. I don't think CLT was built to handle the daily number of flights it has now.
Now after saying something about ground ops being slow, another flight I would like to see is the Saturday CLT-HVN flight going daily, loads have been very good with the E-175. HVN can also support more service like a daily HVN-DCA flight, years back US had two daily HVN-DCA flights.

Eirules

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:30 pm

I’d imagine once EI join the AA/BA/IB transatlantic joint venture, CLT-DUB will go year round
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

FSDan

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 pm

There's plenty of growth that could be achieved through upgauging. Lots of large RJs in CLT that could be upgauged to mainline.

Regarding domestic additions, CLT seems to do best with destinations east of the Rockies - various western destinations such as SJC and TUS have struggled when tried. Destinations like ICT, FSD, GRB, MLI, BMI, SCE, SWF, or ISP might be worth trying.

On the international front, Vasu Raja was pretty clear in a recent "Tell Me Why" that CLT is more or less maxed out on usage of the widebody gates. The 321XLR could open up some incremental growth (maybe CLT-MAN or CLT-AMS as summer seasonal, or CLT-MAD/CDG to year-round routes), but CLT is already very well served in the transatlantic market considering the size and location of the metro area.
Last edited by FSDan on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

YYZORD

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Can't AA add CLT-YVR? if PDX can handle one daily CLT-PDX by AA, I'm sure YVR can do the same. Also YVR has preclearance so no need for international gates.

JohanTally

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 pm

CLT needs to add customs to other concourses, currently they offload multiple intl inbounds on D concourse then tow them over to B concourse.

A winter seasonal HNL flight would be something that might work this time. The US Airways flight 10 or 11 years ago was frequently diverting for fuel and didn't have the feed that CLT has today. With the A332 it should be able to fly westbound in the winter without restrictions.

The A321XLR should have the legs for MAD BRU LIS AMS EDI GLA if it has a more premium layout with 150-170 seats like the 164 seat intl 757s used out of PHL. Maybe a few blocked seats westbound in the winter but definitely manageable.

AirFiero

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 pm

chepos wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Yes, SJC seasonal started out as June to August, then eventually expanded to May to the end of October. There was talk of it going year round. Then they didn’t bring it back at all. No idea what went wrong or why they did that. I could use that flight.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:10 am

chepos wrote:

If ABQ cant sustain a flight, then I guess ELP has no hope.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

ncflyer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:37 am

Can’t CLT simply grow by adding more banks— not necessarily new destinations? This is one way ATL school CLT they run more flights to many of the cities mentioned.

rj1385

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 am

ncflyer wrote:
Can’t CLT simply grow by adding more banks— not necessarily new destinations? This is one way ATL school CLT they run more flights to many of the cities mentioned.

I have never really understood using banks instead of a rolling hub. I am sure that there is benefits for customers with improving connection times, but assume it can be at a cost to resource utilization?

AA has been showing love back to SWF since the Q300s were replaced with the E145s, PHL-SWF went from 2 to 4 daily.

Jo8338

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:33 am

I could see AA adding some secondary CA cities like BUR, SNA, OAK

AlexBrewster03

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:44 am

I know there is a pretty big difference between the strengths of ATL vs CLT, but I’ve always wondered why AA cant sustain more international routes, especially year-round... I know very little about CLT so id love some answers

jbpdx

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:49 am

YYZORD wrote:
Can't AA add CLT-YVR? if PDX can handle one daily CLT-PDX by AA, I'm sure YVR can do the same. Also YVR has preclearance so no need for international gates.

AA PDX-CLT is consistently late. Not sure what the on-time percentage is but it has to be dismal. One example from a few weeks ago:

Portland, OR (PDX)
Scheduled:
23:59, Aug 22
Takeoff:
03:29, Aug 23

Arrival:
Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Scheduled:
07:59, Aug 23
At Gate:
11:06, Aug 23
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

afcjets

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:08 am

chepos wrote:
American 767 wrote:

AA and before that US has flown many of those routes for years. Some even see mainline equipment, such as ALB/MDT/BUF/BDL etc.

So did Piedmont (CLT-MLB was actually Piedmont's last new market right before the US merger) and even Eastern flew SAV-CLT at the same time as Piedmont and even before going back to the early 1970s if not 1960s. AA also flew everyone of those markets mainline from their RDU hub (more than Piedmont from CLT) except for HHH which was obviously flown by American Eagle. I thought American also flew RDU-MLB briefly but I could be wrong.

Also some of the markets you are proposing for American Eagle have seen regularly scheduled A321 flights.

Kronesian

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 am

afcjets wrote:
chepos wrote:
American 767 wrote:

So did Piedmont (CLT-MLB was actually Piedmont's last new market right before the US merger) and even Eastern flew SAV-CLT at the same time as Piedmont and even before going back to the early 1970s if not 1960s. AA also flew everyone of those markets mainline from their RDU hub (more than Piedmont from CLT) except for HHH which was obviously flown by American Eagle. I thought American also flew RDU-MLB briefly but I could be wrong.

Also some of the markets you are proposing for American Eagle have seen regularly scheduled A321 flights.

RDU was served by American briefly back in the day. MLB had the A319 from CLT for a few months last year also. Was a pretty full flight, I wish they would bring it back.
KMLB

ATLFlyer1234

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:26 pm

On my rare connections through CLT I am reminded of how un-competitive the entire experience is compared to ATL. AA's horrible on-time performance and customer service, tons of walking between gates, heavily banked departures leaving minimal choice of departure time and coverage during delays, some gates still looking like they're from the 90's, lame lounge scene. Since almost anyone connecting here has the choice to do the same itinerary via ATL on DL, they should be doing more to make it an attractive choice for reasons other than price or pre-existing AA status.

flyfresno

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:01 pm

chepos wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I feel like I was just in SJC and there was a CLT redeye. How long ago did that end?

AirFiero

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm

flyfresno wrote:
chepos wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

I feel like I was just in SJC and there was a CLT redeye. How long ago did that end?

I think it was last fall?

bigb

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:14 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
ATLFlyer1234 wrote:
On my rare connections through CLT I am reminded of how un-competitive the entire experience is compared to ATL. AA's horrible on-time performance and customer service, tons of walking between gates, heavily banked departures leaving minimal choice of departure time and coverage during delays, some gates still looking like they're from the 90's, lame lounge scene. Since almost anyone connecting here has the choice to do the same itinerary via ATL on DL, they should be doing more to make it an attractive choice for reasons other than price or pre-existing AA status.

They are definitely working to improve the experience, they are redoing the gate areas. Right now, Concourse B is getting reworked and half of A is finished.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Any growth in CLT won't be substantial until more components of the master plan for the airport are completed. As noted by a couple of others on this thread, AA needs more gates at CLT and more ability to manage ground traffic. Closing the crosswind runway 5/23 as part of the plan will allow some of that to occur. But ground traffic delays at CLT can be substantial, especially for aircraft going to and from E Concourse. (I was recently on an Eagle flight where I spent more time on the ground getting to E than I did in the air.)

My guess is that most of the growth we'll see in CLT for the near-future is in upgauging, very selective market adds both internationally and domestically, and some additional frequencies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos