Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8068
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 am

319s are on ATL-PWM for July.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 2:01 am

Supposed effective in June all 717 flying for the time being is being consolidated to ATL.

A lot of that is to cover MD88 routes and to simplify operations.
 
KBUF
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:12 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 am

Runway28L wrote:
The June schedule has been updated and it appears that the remaining MD88/MD90s cities will be moved to the following effective June 2:
BUF: B712


Looks like that's only for June, from what I can see. It'll be a B738 from July onward.
 
User avatar
KLASM83
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:08 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am

ThomasMTroxell wrote:
NWAJT8D wrote:
ThomasMTroxell wrote:
I'm booked on DL80. Hope to see some fellow 88 fans onboard.


If the flight sold out in less than a day, almost a month ahead of time, in the middle of a global pandemic, I'm guessing most if not all pax are MD-88 fans. :smile:

I'm booked in 23A on DL80 but I wouldn't be opposed to trading someone for 33E/34A/34E :bouncy:


I'm in 34C. It was all that was left in the back. I wanted to a window but hey at least I'm on the flight! I also was on DL2014 the last scheduled DC-9 flight from MSP to ATL and the last AirTran flight. I've got an obsession for t-tails.


The flight sold out, so I booked RIC-ATL, the 2nd to last flight. Hope to meet you all there!
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8068
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm

KBUF wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
The June schedule has been updated and it appears that the remaining MD88/MD90s cities will be moved to the following effective June 2:
BUF: B712


Looks like that's only for June, from what I can see. It'll be a B738 from July onward.


I don't believe July is firmed up. Looking at a few routes, July '20 is showing maybe 90% of the capacity that ran July '19, and IMHO that's wholly unrealistic. Looking at enilria's report this week you can see how they just got around to wiping out June - and I do mean wiping out, as in zeroing out many route frequencies.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5280
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 pm

KBUF wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
The June schedule has been updated and it appears that the remaining MD88/MD90s cities will be moved to the following effective June 2:
BUF: B712


Looks like that's only for June, from what I can see. It'll be a B738 from July onward.


July is a placeholder schedule right now
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Delta350
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 pm

ThomasMTroxell wrote:
I'm booked on DL80. Hope to see some fellow 88 fans onboard.

Same but I booked on Basic Economy.
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 pm

ryanov wrote:
maybe I'll get to fly on one before then (but looks like probably not).

As someone who is based in the MKE area, the scarcity of flights makes it logistically difficult if not impossible to pull off one last trip on the MD-88s/90s without having to spend a night in ATL or elsewhere. I had planned to do a "day trip", but this has been further complicated by the fact that DL has dropped MDW and the last ATL-ORD flight departs earlier in the evening. In all likelihood I would have to take an MD flight out of ATL and then hop right back on and take the return flight back. I'm guessing normally it might be a little awkward to get right back on the same flight, but it would probably be even more so given the pandemic situation. I'm still on the fence about trying to pull something off the last week of May.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
WN732
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 11, 2020 5:20 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
ryanov wrote:
maybe I'll get to fly on one before then (but looks like probably not).

As someone who is based in the MKE area, the scarcity of flights makes it logistically difficult if not impossible to pull off one last trip on the MD-88s/90s without having to spend a night in ATL or elsewhere. I had planned to do a "day trip", but this has been further complicated by the fact that DL has dropped MDW and the last ATL-ORD flight departs earlier in the evening. In all likelihood I would have to take an MD flight out of ATL and then hop right back on and take the return flight back. I'm guessing normally it might be a little awkward to get right back on the same flight, but it would probably be even more so given the pandemic situation. I'm still on the fence about trying to pull something off the last week of May.


I was also stuck in a similar situation. I am booked on SAT-ATL-PNS but it only works one way. I had to book WN for a return if I wanted to come home the same day.
 
User avatar
litz
Posts: 2367
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:01 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Per today's Atlanta newspaper, June 2nd is the final flights for the MD-88 and MD-90, all morning flights arriving in Atlanta prior to 9am.
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3139
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
ryanov wrote:
maybe I'll get to fly on one before then (but looks like probably not).

As someone who is based in the MKE area, the scarcity of flights makes it logistically difficult if not impossible to pull off one last trip on the MD-88s/90s without having to spend a night in ATL or elsewhere. I had planned to do a "day trip", but this has been further complicated by the fact that DL has dropped MDW and the last ATL-ORD flight departs earlier in the evening. In all likelihood I would have to take an MD flight out of ATL and then hop right back on and take the return flight back. I'm guessing normally it might be a little awkward to get right back on the same flight, but it would probably be even more so given the pandemic situation. I'm still on the fence about trying to pull something off the last week of May.

It may not even be the same gate or plane for the return flight.

A lot of people in the industry do quick out and backs as non revs. I've know a few that do it for kid swaps with the ex-spouse. One buddy took his kid to DUB from ATL. Friends of hers were already over there and she spent the last few days of the trip with them. He wasn't comfortable with the teenage daughter flying international alone. Flew over, cleared customs, handed her off and when back home on the same plane.
 
hoons90
Posts: 3659
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue May 12, 2020 4:48 am

Sad to see them go and I'm glad that I was able to fly on an MD-90 back in February from BUF to ATL. At the time, I had no idea that they would be retiring so quickly!
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ
 
Northwest1988
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue May 12, 2020 10:06 am

I was going to try and get one more ride in, but about a month ago I flew on an MD-88. My daughter and I were upgraded to first class. Such a wonderful experience. I think I’m going to go out on a high note and call that my last flight.
 
DTWorld
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 am

I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image
 
Delta350
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 am

DTWorld wrote:
I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image

Imagine if it could fly that long and was feasible 8-) :lol:
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
USAirKid
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 14, 2020 4:24 am

Delta350 wrote:
DTWorld wrote:
I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image

Imagine if it could fly that long and was feasible 8-) :lol:


Given where the loads are at, they should be able to borrow some of HA’s fuel tanks, wire them in and fly it.

Now you’d just need to get the right radios and whatnot. But what about a handheld Garmin and an iridium phone? That should work just fine... :duck:
 
LHA320
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 am

DTWorld wrote:
I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image


So Boeings competition for the A321XLR is the MD-88? Knew it! :spin:
AB6 - A319 - A320 - A321 - A333 - A388 - AT42 - 733 - 734 - 735 - 73H - 738 - 752 - 753 - 763 - 772 - DC10 - MD83
 
mcg
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Delta350 wrote:
DTWorld wrote:
I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image

Imagine if it could fly that long and was feasible 8-) :lol:


Given where the loads are at, they should be able to borrow some of HA’s fuel tanks, wire them in and fly it.

Now you’d just need to get the right radios and whatnot. But what about a handheld Garmin and an iridium phone? That should work just fine... :duck:


And you'd have 149 MD80 fans arguing over who gets to sit in back.
 
NWAJT8D
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Looks like they just changed the final flight number to DL88 this morning. Interesting little detail.
 
Northwest1988
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 16, 2020 4:03 pm

NWAJT8D wrote:
Looks like they just changed the final flight number to DL88 this morning. Interesting little detail.


I wondered why they didn’t do this in the first place.
 
Delta350
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Northwest1988 wrote:
NWAJT8D wrote:
Looks like they just changed the final flight number to DL88 this morning. Interesting little detail.


I wondered why they didn’t do this in the first place.

Maybe they didn’t want to copy American Airlines with their retirement
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
ryanov
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 17, 2020 12:03 am

And they moved it to a more reasonable time of day. WTF are these flights all at the crack of dawn? You'd think they'd at least use them all day.
 
Delta350
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 17, 2020 2:59 am

ryanov wrote:
And they moved it to a more reasonable time of day. WTF are these flights all at the crack of dawn? You'd think they'd at least use them all day.

Did they just move the IAD-ATL up or is there more MD88 routes moved up?
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
ryanov
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 am

None of the others were changed.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sun May 17, 2020 1:04 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
As someone who is based in the MKE area, the scarcity of flights makes it logistically difficult if not impossible to pull off one last trip on the MD-88s/90s without having to spend a night in ATL or elsewhere.

Update: I found a series of reasonably priced flights and decided to pull the trigger. I'm doing ORD-ATL-CHS-ATL on 5/31 with the last flight being on the MD-88. Then I'm going to spend a night at the famous Renaissance Concourse Hotel (I'm assuming it shouldn't be difficult to get a room facing the runway) before doing ATL-IAH the next morning on the MD-90. My flight back to ORD is on AA. Now I just have to hope there's no equipment changes. :sarcastic:
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
n7371f
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 18, 2020 4:51 am

These are scheduled as such so aircraft can be ferried to Blytheville right after performing their last revenue flights. Also allows ferry crews to get back home by end of the day.

ryanov wrote:
And they moved it to a more reasonable time of day. WTF are these flights all at the crack of dawn? You'd think they'd at least use them all day.
 
ethernal
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Already known of course but here's the official news release on the June 2nd retirement date:

https://news.delta.com/delta-fly-final- ... hts-june-2
 
FlyingViking
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:16 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Another MD-90 ferried to BYH right now,
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 pm

N913DN is about to land in BYH
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 am

My youngest son had a ride on an MD88 today ATL-MCI on his way home to MSP from Ft Benning.. Everyone wants to take a last flight and he had one without even asking.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
airportek
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 am

I am booked for next week on both the MD-88 and MD-90 for multiple flights. This will be my first flight on a Delta MD-88, though I have flown on many MD-82, MD-83 and MD-90s.

I plan to put together a serious documentary in acknowledgment of the MD-80 family of aircraft. Anyone interested, feel free to reply. You can look me up on youtube under my channel name: airportek. I am interested in videos, photos and stories. I plan to interview my retired friends at MAC-DAC for this to get some unique insights from the designers and others.

FYI: I have worked in aviation since 1998 and have loved it since 1988. I grew up on military bases (USAF) into the 1990s. I'm a maddog fan to a fault. I remember the day the maddog captured my loyalty: 1989 Spokane International Airport Blue Concourse (B Concourse Gate 8). Alaska MD-82 N933AS. A year later, Alaska debuted their new livery in the movie Kindergarten Cop with air-to-air of N946AS (which they acquired from British Island Airways), the second aircraft painted in the new livery. In fact, they only painted two with the old 1980s stencil for the tail rather than the stencil used on their 737 and 727 fleets at the time.

I think this might be my first post in 10 years since I joined. Most of the time I just enjoy the comments and photos.
airportek
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 am

airportek wrote:
I am booked for next week on both the MD-88 and MD-90 for multiple flights. This will be my first flight on a Delta MD-88, though I have flown on many MD-82, MD-83 and MD-90s.

I plan to put together a serious documentary in acknowledgment of the MD-80 family of aircraft. Anyone interested, feel free to reply. You can look me up on youtube under my channel name: airportek. I am interested in videos, photos and stories. I plan to interview my retired friends at MAC-DAC for this to get some unique insights from the designers and others.

FYI: I have worked in aviation since 1998 and have loved it since 1988. I grew up on military bases (USAF) into the 1990s. I'm a maddog fan to a fault. I remember the day the maddog captured my loyalty: 1989 Spokane International Airport Blue Concourse (B Concourse Gate 8). Alaska MD-82 N933AS. A year later, Alaska debuted their new livery in the movie Kindergarten Cop with air-to-air of N946AS (which they acquired from British Island Airways), the second aircraft painted in the new livery. In fact, they only painted two with the old 1980s stencil for the tail rather than the stencil used on their 737 and 727 fleets at the time.

I think this might be my first post in 10 years since I joined. Most of the time I just enjoy the comments and photos.


You have great passion. I'll need to watch Kindergarten Cop again for this plane. I loved the look of AS planes back in the early 90's.

It is your first post, its noted under your name.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10729
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 am

DTWorld wrote:
I see they're making some changes in the schedule. This is an obvious typo, but it definitely made me chuckle. :rotfl:

Image


That's happened before on JFK-LHR - also, during the winter storms, one of my buddies got rebooked JFK-CDG on a Delta MD88. He's not an aviation fan, but when he looked it up even he thought it looked a bit small and dropped me a message to ask what was going on.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
airportek
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
airportek wrote:
I am booked for next week on both the MD-88 and MD-90 for multiple flights. This will be my first flight on a Delta MD-88, though I have flown on many MD-82, MD-83 and MD-90s.

I plan to put together a serious documentary in acknowledgment of the MD-80 family of aircraft. Anyone interested, feel free to reply. You can look me up on youtube under my channel name: airportek. I am interested in videos, photos and stories. I plan to interview my retired friends at MAC-DAC for this to get some unique insights from the designers and others.

FYI: I have worked in aviation since 1998 and have loved it since 1988. I grew up on military bases (USAF) into the 1990s. I'm a maddog fan to a fault. I remember the day the maddog captured my loyalty: 1989 Spokane International Airport Blue Concourse (B Concourse Gate 8). Alaska MD-82 N933AS. A year later, Alaska debuted their new livery in the movie Kindergarten Cop with air-to-air of N946AS (which they acquired from British Island Airways), the second aircraft painted in the new livery. In fact, they only painted two with the old 1980s stencil for the tail rather than the stencil used on their 737 and 727 fleets at the time.

I think this might be my first post in 10 years since I joined. Most of the time I just enjoy the comments and photos.


You have great passion. I'll need to watch Kindergarten Cop again for this plane. I loved the look of AS planes back in the early 90's.

It is your first post, its noted under your name.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I thought I would post my reply with a link to the clip from Kindergarten Cop that I mentioned in my post since this is a special occasion. It was 30 years ago today N946AS entered service with Alaska Airlines. Here is the rare clip of the air-to-air footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhrty2FI5bk

I will remember the North American maddogs fondly since I have many photographs and videos I've collected since my childhood. I'm thankful and excited I get to fly out to Atlanta from California just to participate in the last few operations to multiple cities. This plane has made quite an impression on me. I still haven't gotten it out of my system 30 years later.

I plan to request a special announcement from the crews during my flights if they haven't already planned to do so anyway. Also, my custom when I fly is to request maximum performance climb and/or static takeoff. I've never flown on a maddog that did this. Pilots rarely grant this when I ask, but let's see if I will have success on this occasion. Either way, I plan to record my flights.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow [Maddog]."
airportek
 
GoldenArgosy2
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Perhaps this was posted upthread, but DL hasn't published a list (that I can find) of all the MD90/MD88 flights going to ATL on 02JUN. Does anyone have that? I'm STL based and the STLATL flight on a MD90 is sold out, so looking at some other options but haven't come up with anything yet.
 
FlyGuyNash
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 am

GoldenArgosy2 wrote:
Perhaps this was posted upthread, but DL hasn't published a list (that I can find) of all the MD90/MD88 flights going to ATL on 02JUN. Does anyone have that? I'm STL based and the STLATL flight on a MD90 is sold out, so looking at some other options but haven't come up with anything yet.


1987 BDL-ATL | 88
905 ORF-ATL | 88
2375 PIT-ATL | 88
781 RDU-ATL | 88
742 RIC-ATL | 88
2247 SRQ-ATL | 88

And the final 2
88 IAD-ATL @8:15AM | 88 - Last revenue MD88 flight
90 IAH-ATL @6:00AM | 90 - Last revenue MD90 flight
 
SELMER40
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 am

The OAG online shows on 1 June, DL 1018 (MD88) ATL-MEM arriving at 7:49 PM. Normally the plane would return to ATL as the early morning flight the next day but, on 2 June it does not. Will the plane ferry directly MEM-BYH? (about 20 minutes up I55)
Teaching this old dog a new trick
 
GoldenArgosy2
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 pm

FlyGuyNash wrote:
GoldenArgosy2 wrote:
Perhaps this was posted upthread, but DL hasn't published a list (that I can find) of all the MD90/MD88 flights going to ATL on 02JUN. Does anyone have that? I'm STL based and the STLATL flight on a MD90 is sold out, so looking at some other options but haven't come up with anything yet.


1987 BDL-ATL | 88
905 ORF-ATL | 88
2375 PIT-ATL | 88
781 RDU-ATL | 88
742 RIC-ATL | 88
2247 SRQ-ATL | 88

And the final 2
88 IAD-ATL @8:15AM | 88 - Last revenue MD88 flight
90 IAH-ATL @6:00AM | 90 - Last revenue MD90 flight


Thank you, appreciate this. Apparently I was wrong, STLATL on 02JUN is actually a 717. So there is only one MD90 flights scheduled for 02JUN?
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 3:39 am

There are some more ferry flights now posted to go to BYH for Thu & Fri:

Looks like 2 MD88 Thur and 2 MD90 Friday going.
https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBYH/enroute
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 3:57 am

mke717spotter wrote:
I'm doing ORD-ATL-CHS-ATL on 5/31 with the last flight being on the MD-88. Then I'm going to spend a night at the famous Renaissance Concourse Hotel (I'm assuming it shouldn't be difficult to get a room facing the runway) before doing ATL-IAH the next morning on the MD-90.

Just to follow up on this, do you think the captain will let me snap a quick cockpit picture? Wasn't sure if they'd rather have people stay as far away from the cockpit as possible with the concern over germs spreading and whatnot.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8624
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 3:58 am

Which MD-90 are still flying? Regs?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
KMCOFlyer
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:32 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 4:07 am

727LOVER wrote:
Which MD-90 are still flying? Regs?


There are 4 active MD-90s remaining

- N917DN and N918DH which are both scheduled to ferry to BYH on Friday.
- N925DN and N926DH which I assume will ferry to BYH after their last flights on Sunday morning.
 
miguel0881
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Just nabbed a seat on DL 88 IAD-ATL for 37,500 miles. Trying to decide if it's worth making the trip. Anyone know if any festivities are planned on either end?
 
n515cr
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:49 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 4:53 pm

970 ferrying to BYH: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n970dl
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Interesting. It looks like 970 sat in CHS since 5/18, before ferrying up to BYH today.
 
danipawa
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 pm

MD Douglas MD88 53173 1811 N970DL Delta Air Lines ferried 28may20 CHS-BYH, for part-out & scrap
MD Douglas MD90-30 53393 2154 N913DN Delta Air Lines ferried 22may20 ATL-BYH, for part-out & scrap
 
miguel0881
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Still showing seats for sale on DL88 as of this morning. Surprised there is not more interest in this. AA80 sold out well in advance.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8068
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 29, 2020 2:56 pm

You've got to be a real fan to take discretionary travel at this point. If you're a fan you've already had 32 years to fly a DL MD-88. I know I got plenty of miles in.
 
miguel0881
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 29, 2020 3:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
You've got to be a real fan to take discretionary travel at this point. If you're a fan you've already had 32 years to fly a DL MD-88. I know I got plenty of miles in.


So do you think DL will do anything to commemorate the flight?

Edited to add: As someone noted on another site, this appears to be the last regularly scheduled passenger flight of any McDonnell Douglas aircraft in the United States. So really a pretty big deal.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8063
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Fri May 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Normally yes, but not right now with how the industry is in shambles and flying is a dystopian experience.
The AA 757 and 763s should've gotten a big farewell too but that didn't happen either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos