Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2105
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
A couple of interesting bits I found on Flight Aware. It appears that all the MD88's will be back at the ATL base by 10:00pm tonight. Normally several of these would fly night flights to Florida destinations like DAB and overnight. I wonder if they are "putting out the fire and calling in the dogs, because the hunt's over" for the MD88's this weekend?

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD88

Currently there is only 2 MD90's in the air. The PHL flight will overnight and return tomorrow morning.

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD90


Given the time that it’s now going to take to recover, I’d be really surprised to see another MD-80 fly at DL again.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7335
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 pm

WN732 wrote:
ATL-SAT appears to be going to MD80 in April.
ATL-ELP goes Airbus. :(


ATL-ELP had been MD-90s for a while. Enjoy the AVOD, big pivot bins, and 2Ku wifi on the Airbus.
 
MDGLongBeach
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 am

Ok a few questions. Are any MD80s still active right now as of 3/29? Is BYH able to handle the influx of md80s being retired/stored? Will some aircraft transfer to other facilities such as MZJ/SBD/VCV etc? If all are gone, do you think DL will do a retirement ceremony regardless and do a ceremonial flight? Sorry for the questions, just concerned for the super 80s future haha
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:46 am

At least one MD88 is; we had one this morning in my station.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
mbaer747
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 am

I flew to Atlanta and back the other day on what will probably be my last MD-88 flight. Here’s videos of the startup and takeoff.. landing coming soon!

http://youtu.be/wlf3jp8Za08

http://youtu.be/hUOnRe0PRf8
 
MD8090orDRIVE
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:54 pm

I here that Wednesday, Apr 1st is the last day for the MD-90. That is a bad April fool's joke. Does anyone know where their last flights will be? I am SLC based and don't really want to risk flying now but that might be worth the risk. I love those jets, way too early for the most beautiful jet ever built to die.
 
FlyingViking
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:16 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:33 am

April 1st. Wow. That's 25 years to the date after it entered service DFW-EWR April 1st 1995. I know. I was there. Happier times back then.
 
FLALEFTY
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:15 am

MDGLongBeach wrote:
Ok a few questions. Are any MD80s still active right now as of 3/29? Is BYH able to handle the influx of md80s being retired/stored? Will some aircraft transfer to other facilities such as MZJ/SBD/VCV etc? If all are gone, do you think DL will do a retirement ceremony regardless and do a ceremonial flight? Sorry for the questions, just concerned for the super 80s future haha


Yes, the MD88's are still flying. In fact, Delta just put one back into service, upping the active fleet to 32.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines

And BYH has been quiet for the last few days, too:

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBYH

As some posters mentioned earlier in this thread, Delta appears to be using up the time left on MD88's maintenance intervals. This will allow Delta to park B737's and A320's during the crisis to cut down on their cycles and stretch their maintenance intervals out. They are using them on 1 to 2 hour hops, out and back from ATL.
 
mbaer747
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 am

Here's the video of probably my last DC9 series aircraft landing ever; a sad day! We chased the glideslope into Atlanta a bit too. Wild to see a lot of 717s parked on the south runway, crazy times were in. Good to still see the MD-88s and a few 90s at the gates in ATL while you can!

|4K| Delta Air Lines MD88 Landing Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsXf2ZruSw
 
N292UX
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:38 am

DL370 IAH-ATL may be the final DL MD-90 flight. Departs IAH 5:50 PM CDT on April 1st and arrives in ATL at 8:45 PM EDT.

DL1159 from BUF will be the second-to-last MD-90 arrival at 7:09 EDT. DL2061 from ELP is the third-to-last arrival at 4:58 EDT.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KIAH/KATL
 
User avatar
ghost77
Posts: 4545
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 2:07 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:51 am

Anyone can share the active number of MD88s and MD90s?

g77
 
FLALEFTY
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:45 am

ghost77 wrote:
Anyone can share the active number of MD88s and MD90s?

g77


There are 32 MD88's still active and 10 MD90's.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines
 
716131
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:51 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
ghost77 wrote:
Anyone can share the active number of MD88s and MD90s?

g77


There are 32 MD88's still active and 10 MD90's.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines

DL already introduce MD-90's nearly 25 years ago. Will they retire the M90 first before the M88 next year?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:55 am

SQ789 wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
ghost77 wrote:
Anyone can share the active number of MD88s and MD90s?

g77


There are 32 MD88's still active and 10 MD90's.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines

DL already introduce MD-90's nearly 25 years ago. Will they retire the M90 first before the M88 next year?

Too costly to maintain, only one place in the world that overhauls it’s engine type and it’s in New Zealand
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8587
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:16 am

mbaer747 wrote:
Here's the video of probably my last DC9 series aircraft landing ever; a sad day! We chased the glideslope into Atlanta a bit too. Wild to see a lot of 717s parked on the south runway, crazy times were in. Good to still see the MD-88s and a few 90s at the gates in ATL while you can!

|4K| Delta Air Lines MD88 Landing Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsXf2ZruSw


Wow. Ghost town at ATL.
 
dstblj52
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 am

Northwest1988 wrote:
Such an anticlimactic end for the -88/90s. I’ve been wondering what kind of send off they would get for a long time and it looks like this is it...

Delta kept the md88/90's to take a bullet for the company when things turned to hell, they did what they were expected to do.
 
Lootess
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am

10 is still the current active amount of MD-90s, which means they are on the last legs. Although I predicted all would be gone this month, you get little reprieve. Like one more day, where the active count should be down to zero. We don't know what the last routes will be.

I've been saying for awhile before the pandemic, MD-90 would be the first type to be dumped. People kept jumping on non-relevant stuff "oh they are paid for". Yeah so what. The fleet is already too small. Upcoming checks would park the aircraft indefinitely, reduction of routes, pilot hours, etc.
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm

I guess it just makes sense. The main advantages that the MD-90 has over the 80/88 is capacity and fuel efficiency. With the load factors in the single digits these days, the capacity is moot. With fuel prices in the tank, and with the substantially reduced loads in the planes, the fuel COST numbers won't be drastically different between them. With the vast sea of spares in all the parked planes, there's nothing stopping them from flying the wings off of the remaining MD-8Xs until traffic levels begin to rise again, then they can cycle in more efficient frames to replace them. Its a shame to me personally, though I flew in the DC-9/MD-80 series many times, I never got a ride in a -90.
 
B757Forever
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:10 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
I guess it just makes sense. The main advantages that the MD-90 has over the 80/88 is capacity and fuel efficiency. With the load factors in the single digits these days, the capacity is moot. With fuel prices in the tank, and with the substantially reduced loads in the planes, the fuel COST numbers won't be drastically different between them. With the vast sea of spares in all the parked planes, there's nothing stopping them from flying the wings off of the remaining MD-8Xs until traffic levels begin to rise again, then they can cycle in more efficient frames to replace them. Its a shame to me personally, though I flew in the DC-9/MD-80 series many times, I never got a ride in a -90.


And with 20-30% load factors right now, the 88 is more than enough capacity and it requires one less flight attendant than a 90.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.
 
WN732
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 pm

B757Forever wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:
I guess it just makes sense. The main advantages that the MD-90 has over the 80/88 is capacity and fuel efficiency. With the load factors in the single digits these days, the capacity is moot. With fuel prices in the tank, and with the substantially reduced loads in the planes, the fuel COST numbers won't be drastically different between them. With the vast sea of spares in all the parked planes, there's nothing stopping them from flying the wings off of the remaining MD-8Xs until traffic levels begin to rise again, then they can cycle in more efficient frames to replace them. Its a shame to me personally, though I flew in the DC-9/MD-80 series many times, I never got a ride in a -90.


And with 20-30% load factors right now, the 88 is more than enough capacity and it requires one less flight attendant than a 90.


I didn't realize that the -90 was large enough to constitute a 4th flight attendant. I can definitely see that the cost per hour would definitely be enough to ground the fleet even though the -90 is more efficient. I hate to see them go, and I am so glad I got on one.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 19320
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 pm

I find it facinating the MD-88s will be used up to absolutely minimize spending.

The MD-88/90 were kept to minimize debt. The fact 32 will be opperated in this super low fuel cost environment makes sense. As soon as demand recovers, so will fuel prices. So fly them while they have low variable costs.

N292UX wrote:
DL370 IAH-ATL may be the final DL MD-90 flight. Departs IAH 5:50 PM CDT on April 1st and arrives in ATL at 8:45 PM EDT.

DL1159 from BUF will be the second-to-last MD-90 arrival at 7:09 EDT. DL2061 from ELP is the third-to-last arrival at 4:58 EDT.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KIAH/KATL

Sad, but the high maintenance costs do not favor keeping the type. It is too small of a fleet to economically resuscitate. As Delta was the only buyer, there is no hope.

In general, there will be plenty of newer aircraft available on the uptick. Airbus (including A220) and Boeing (including E2-195) will be hungry for sales. Delta can decide later if they want to buy used.

By going into this crisis debt light, partially due to keeping MD-88s/MD-90s, Delta has options on the recovery.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
MD8090orDRIVE
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 pm

As my screen name implies I worship the MD-90. I was going to ride to El Paso and Syracuse today and tomorrow and from IAH to ATL on my way from SLC the next two days but common sense took over after I paid for the tickets. As much as I want to be on those flights, it would have been selfish to risk others or my family. Sadly I had my favorite seat 36A on all the flights and had turned down the upgrades I got (no one flying real easy to move upfront) I will never forget all the wonderful flights I had in 36A, the legroom, the beautiful engine right behind my left ear and the numerous times I banged my head on the overhead bin even though I knew it was there. It was heaven on earth for me. I will never forget the looks I would get from flight attendants when I kissed one of my beloved MD-90s while boarding. In the big picture, it is a small loss compared to the pain COVID-19 is causing but my daughters were laughing at my tears when I cancelled my flights yesterday. All the times I booked extra legs and out of the way connections just to ride another MD-90 was all worth it.

Sorry for the ramble, I feel like this is a wake for the most beautiful aircraft of all time. My wife and daughters hated them (no seatback screens) so on family trips they were not flown on but for work I always looked for an MD-90 followed by an 88 or 717 connection.
 
FlyGuyNash
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:39 pm

Currently as the plan sits, the fleet that is operating today is what will operate for the April schedule. No more 88/90s are planned to be parked at this time but these things have been changing daily.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7335
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:56 pm

WN732 wrote:

I didn't realize that the -90 was large enough to constitute a 4th flight attendant. I can definitely see that the cost per hour would definitely be enough to ground the fleet even though the -90 is more efficient. I hate to see them go, and I am so glad I got on one.


DL MD-88s are configured for 149 seats, the MD-90s, 158. A320s for 157 seats; 738s, 160.

Frankly I'd be surprised if the fuel savings on MD-90 vs. MD-88 didn't more than cover the 4th FA. I think it's a matter of using up available hours and cycles in the MD-88s before the end of the year. Teenage boys never sent a car to the junkyard with a full gas tank.
 
ACA772LR
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Does anyone know how many hours/cycles the MD88s have left on them? Or is that sort of insider info?
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7723
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 pm

The hours/cycles are based on the time left before a maintenance check and green-time left on engines. That is going to vary by each airframe.
I suspect the ones that went out to BYH in the past few weeks from MD-88s were some of the ones that were anticipated to be parked earlier, or had some type of pending check coming up in the near-term.

They had done enough checks and parts inventory to basically carry the remaining MD-88 frames out through the end of Summer 2020 with the entire fleet sunsetting at the end of the year.
Due to A321NEO delays they actually put more than previously planned MD88s through maintenance checks in 2019 to plan to have enough frames to fly what was to have been record-breaking capacity for 2020.

This is all a moot point now, but they are likely several factors at play in that there is a pilot pool of MD88/90 crews in ATL that are going to be paid whether they fly or not, and if the fleet was fully retired they would have to either pay them not to fly at all, or have to then have a process for them to move to other fleet types and all the subsequent training related costs.

There are aircraft in all other fleet types that would be approaching maintenance checks so some of those have likely been parked as well.
This pushes out some of the maintenance costs and also have to purchase additional parts from vendors.

If they have the parts already in stock they can consume MD-88 parts and delay part procurement and refurbishment on other fleet types.
 
User avatar
vatveng
Posts: 1255
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm glad I was able to get one flight on the MD90, back in 2014. I didn't know at the time that would be my only MD-90 flight ever :cry2:
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Got a few decent rides on the 90...
first one was DFW-AUS in 02
second one was SLC-DFW in 05
third one was PHX-CVG in 09
fourth one was BOS-MSP in 18
last one was ATL-DAB last November

Fare thee well, MD-90
 
tjerome
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 pm

I just hope that they put an -88 at the museum in wavy gravy colors.
 
N292UX
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm

Have flown on 3 MD-90 flights that I remember. First two in 2014 on DCA-MSP (N962DN) and MSP-DCA (N912DN). Then on final one in 2015 also on MSP-DCA (N913DN). Sat in the back for all 3 of those flights and loved it!

Farewell, MD-90
 
N292UX
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 pm

Update:
DL2495 SAT-ATL now appears to be the final DL MD-90 flight, arriving in ATL at 9:35 PM EDT tomorrow, April 1st.

Flight will be operated by N962DN, which happens to be the first MD-90 I ever flew on back in 2014.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KSAT/KATL
 
User avatar
admanager
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Wow, I've had over 40 years of flying on Delta MD T-tails into and out of Atlanta and in the blink of an eye it's over. Hundreds of flights. Still have the 717 for that last bit of nostalgia. (I still think of the mid-field terminal at ATL as the new one. But it's 40 years old this year.)
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:23 pm

My first DL flight was LIT-STL, prolly a DC-9-14, 1968. In 1969 or 70 was my first flight to ATL, another DC-9 MEM-ATL.
 
Lootess
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 am

FlyGuyNash wrote:
Currently as the plan sits, the fleet that is operating today is what will operate for the April schedule. No more 88/90s are planned to be parked at this time but these things have been changing daily.


All 10 MD-90 are scheduled to be gone at once after tomorrow. Even N292UX has more info than I do:

N292UX wrote:
Update:
DL2495 SAT-ATL now appears to be the final DL MD-90 flight, arriving in ATL at 9:35 PM EDT tomorrow, April 1st.

Flight will be operated by N962DN, which happens to be the first MD-90 I ever flew on back in 2014.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KSAT/KATL
 
MD8090orDRIVE
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 am

Anyone here going to be on one of the sadly not an April fools day final MD-90 flights
 
deyoe1118
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:20 am

Looking at routings ship 9222 is scheduled for an IAH-ATL-IAH turn on 4/2. Ship 9260 is also scheduled for BUF-ATL-BUF-ATL-IAD. Subject to change of course.
Last edited by deyoe1118 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 19320
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:21 am

I started this thread on 14 September 2019 without any thought of near term MD-90 retirement. Instead tomorrow, we're looking at a farewell.

Does anyone know how many MD-88s went through checks last year? For that implies a subfleet that could fly well into 2021. At this time of extremely low fuel pricing but high parts and overhaul costs, we'll temporarily see a time where the MD-88 is the lower cash cost flight of the DL narrowbody fleet. It is a question of parts and green time engines. I have no insight into the remaining engine life. However, I would expect for a mere 32 aircraft, DL could pull engines off now parked aircraft to keep flying through most of 2020 if not well into 2021.

At this time, it is all about preserving cash. As long as a plane doesn't need an airframe overhaul and Delta can utilize engines with green time, we'll see the fleet continue until oil recovers. By then, the aviation market will also recover.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
Northwest1988
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:44 am

Took my longest MD flight with my 5 year old daughter a few years ago on an MD-90. ATL-ABQ. We had a blast! It will be one of my fondest travel memories!
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2369
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:01 am

Just wanting to clarify, Delta’s confirmed to be retiring the MD-90 tomorrow? Sending the last ~10 to BYH and none will return to service?

Is there an official statement on that or was it internally announced?
 
N292UX
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 am

Ishrion wrote:
Just wanting to clarify, Delta’s confirmed to be retiring the MD-90 tomorrow? Sending the last ~10 to BYH and none will return to service?

Is there an official statement on that or was it internally announced?

There's been next to no announcement of it, but there are no MD-90 flights scheduled after tomorrow night, meaning tomorrow is most likely it for the MD-90.
 
Fex180
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 am

N292UX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Just wanting to clarify, Delta’s confirmed to be retiring the MD-90 tomorrow? Sending the last ~10 to BYH and none will return to service?

Is there an official statement on that or was it internally announced?

There's been next to no announcement of it, but there are no MD-90 flights scheduled after tomorrow night, meaning tomorrow is most likely it for the MD-90.


I don't think DL has uploaded this on their website yet. A sample booking of PWM-ATL shows md-90s through the end of May.
 
PVD523
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am

917DN is currently parked at one of DL's gates at PVD. Was due to operate flight 1263 to ATL this morning but the flight was cancelled. Looks like she'll now sit here all day and operate flight 811 to ATL tonight at 18:13 LCL, and that will be PVD's last DL MD90 flight.
 
Rss719
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:50 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi, first time poster here, long time lurker. Not in the aviation business, just enjoy flying as a passenger. I spent most of my life in ATL and not a crazy Delta guy but I have to say I will miss the MD88 and 90. My first jet flight was a Delta DC9 from PHL to ATL in 1971 and I just flew on an MD88 from ATL to SAV a couple of weeks ago. I can't begin to even tell you how many flights I have had on the old T tails between Delta, Eastern, Southern/Republic/NWA: I always felt safe on any of the DC9 family, sort of reassuring thing boarding them. Never fancy but always a workhorse of everyone's fleet that had them. Even back in the good old ValuJet days! Goodbye old noisy Douglas, I'll miss you!
 
deltairlines
Posts: 6977
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Well since I'm not flying until the end of April at the earliest, I guess no more MD-90 flights for me. I lucked out for my last MD-90 flight last summer...I was able to hop on a ferry flight from MSP to ATL. Only the two pilots and six people sitting in First Class. That was a takeoff like a rocket out of MSP with minimal payload and an empty cargo hold.
 
ACA772LR
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:52 pm

I’m hoping the MD88 holds on a while little longer so I can ride on one. never flew on one and my plan was to do that until this whole virus thing came out
 
FSDan
Posts: 3111
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm glad DL based a lot of the M90s out of MSP for a few years while I was living in Madison, WI. I had many fun rocketship takeoffs on the -90s during those years. On some of my itineraries, 3 out of 4 flights would be M90s!
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
FLALEFTY
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Just an update on the MD90's status. As of late this afternoon (4/1/20), they are still flying.

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD90
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2369
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Just an update on the MD90's status. As of late this afternoon (4/1/20), they are still flying.

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD90


The final flight is supposedly DL2495, which doesn't land in Atlanta until around 9:45 P.M.
 
FlyGuyNash
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 am

So the MD90s don't appear to be parked. As an employee I do have access to some schedules and it still shows the 90 flying in the May schedule. This lines up with that we were told which was around 30 88s and 10 90s were not on the park plan. Again these things change daily but as of now it looks like the 90 is not parked.
 
N292UX
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DL retiring MD-80/90s quickly

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:38 am

DL2945 has landed in ATL, could be the last MD-90 flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos