omerlich
Topic Author
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 am

LY 008 that took off a few hours ago marks an end of an era.
As of now all flights to JFK will be 789.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2364
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:11 am

So sad to see the global 744 networks shrink! Especially from iconic routes.

Where else will LY send their 744- BCN?
 
omerlich
Topic Author
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
So sad to see the global 744 networks shrink! Especially from iconic routes.

Where else will LY send their 744- BCN?


BCN,BKK untill the end of October when the last 2 will be retired.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:29 am

Those LY 744s are pretty old, aren't they, with very dated interiors including the business class cabin, no? Still, sad to see them go. The LY 747 was a fixture at JFK for decades. You could count on seeing them mixed in with the LX A330s and DL jets at T4 as they typically used the same gate.
 
maverick4002
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Currently over the very southern part of Bulgaria, 1h 45m away from landing back at TLV
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5467
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm

I flew on -ELD last Monday.
Yes, the cabin was very old. But the seats were pretty comfy. Sure beat the slim lines that we’ve all come to expect.
Aircraft D was actually the youngest remaining 747 in the El Al fleet. I guess it just came due for a heavy check sooner, or something.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Does LY plan on adding more flights to New York? I am asking because going from a B744 to B789 seems like a drop in capacity?
 
DDR
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm

The 747 offered a wider cabin with more seating options for "those" who refused to sit next to women. Wonder of LY will see an increase in disturbances because of this?
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5505
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 pm

They were old!

Any plan for capacity replacement? Extra flight?

Pretty big drop for a route that thrives on capacity
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14377
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Even though there will be a drop in seats going from the 747 to 789, they will save on fuel, MX and get better seat fare yield.
I wonder if any of LY's retired planes need special processing and limited for resale due to special anti-terrorism equipment they allegedly have.
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:38 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Even though there will be a drop in seats going from the 747 to 789, they will save on fuel, MX and get better seat fare yield.
I wonder if any of LY's retired planes need special processing and limited for resale due to special anti-terrorism equipment they allegedly have.


perhaps in the future they acquire Boeing 787-10 to recover lost capacity
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:37 am

EL AL could and should use the 777-300ER to replace the 747-400 on the Two Aviv to New York JFK route since JFK is slot restricted.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 am

Which gate did the final flight depart from?
 
YYZSpotter1991
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
EL AL could and should use the 777-300ER to replace the 747-400 on the Two Aviv to New York JFK route since JFK is slot restricted.


They don't have any 77Ws though, and their 77Es are primarily used on the TLV-LAX route. It would be nice for them to obtain additional 777s, but we'll see. 4 more 789s are coming to the fleet by the end of next year.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 pm

DDR wrote:
The 747 offered a wider cabin with more seating options for "those" who refused to sit next to women. Wonder of LY will see an increase in disturbances because of this?


I'm secretly hoping "those" will be offered a cargo bin in the lower hold in future.
 
HarryA
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:27 pm

I do not believe that the 4 787 El Al is receiving in 2020 are 789 but rather 788. They are going to receive their last 789 on the 19th of this month
 
OmerMaz
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:38 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
EL AL could and should use the 777-300ER to replace the 747-400 on the Two Aviv to New York JFK route since JFK is slot restricted.


They don't have any 77Ws though, and their 77Es are primarily used on the TLV-LAX route. It would be nice for them to obtain additional 777s, but we'll see. 4 more 789s are coming to the fleet by the end of next year.


That route was swapped for a 789 in October 2018, the 772s are handeling routes to Europe, New York and Asia.

El Al will not purchase further 777s, mainly 77Ws for the following reasons:

1) They are too big for LY, you can see it in the fact that the 767s and 747s were replaced by 777-200ERs and 787-9s (787s taking on 'exlusive' 777 routes, etc...)
2) The introduction of a new engine (GE90) type to the fleet will cause more cost of aircraft maitainance, as EL AL is not big and not profitable *enough* to hold so many engine types and aircraft types.

As for the rest of the 787s: The last and 12th 789 will arrive this Thursday, 19 September (Israel local time).
The first 2 out of 4 788s will arrive this November-Decmber, with the last 2 arriving in Q1 2020.
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Doesn't LY have a few orders/options for 78J's ?

Seem to recall when the original order was announced, it included
renderings of all 3 787 models in the El Al livery
 
flybaby
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 am

AA737-823 wrote:
I flew on -ELD last Monday.
Yes, the cabin was very old. But the seats were pretty comfy. Sure beat the slim lines that we’ve all come to expect.
Aircraft D was actually the youngest remaining 747 in the El Al fleet. I guess it just came due for a heavy check sooner, or something.


Yeah, the seats were comfy but the IFE equipment box that was strapped (in a manner I would best describe as “improvised”) to the bottom of the seats took up like a third of the underseat space. That was terribly uncomfortable. And the IFE itself was ridiculously outdated. The screen, if it even worked, reminded me of the one I had back in my smartphone in 2006.
 
kaitak
Posts: 9728
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

OmerMaz wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
EL AL could and should use the 777-300ER to replace the 747-400 on the Two Aviv to New York JFK route since JFK is slot restricted.


They don't have any 77Ws though, and their 77Es are primarily used on the TLV-LAX route. It would be nice for them to obtain additional 777s, but we'll see. 4 more 789s are coming to the fleet by the end of next year.


That route was swapped for a 789 in October 2018, the 772s are handeling routes to Europe, New York and Asia.

El Al will not purchase further 777s, mainly 77Ws for the following reasons:

1) They are too big for LY, you can see it in the fact that the 767s and 747s were replaced by 777-200ERs and 787-9s (787s taking on 'exlusive' 777 routes, etc...)
2) The introduction of a new engine (GE90) type to the fleet will cause more cost of aircraft maitainance, as EL AL is not big and not profitable *enough* to hold so many engine types and aircraft types.

As for the rest of the 787s: The last and 12th 789 will arrive this Thursday, 19 September (Israel local time).
The first 2 out of 4 788s will arrive this November-Decmber, with the last 2 arriving in Q1 2020.


Would the 78X be a suitable choice for LY, given the size of its 787 fleet. Replacing 744s (which never seemed to suffer from low loads, particularly on t/a flights) with 789s seems a bit odd to me; the 78X would give them a capacity boost on key routes. Also, given that NZ was satisfied with the 78X's range potential for its t/p fights, surely LY would be able to use it on pretty much any route, except possibly LAX?
 
OmerMaz
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:38 am

Re: LY retires 744 from JFK . Last flight today

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

kaitak wrote:
OmerMaz wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:

They don't have any 77Ws though, and their 77Es are primarily used on the TLV-LAX route. It would be nice for them to obtain additional 777s, but we'll see. 4 more 789s are coming to the fleet by the end of next year.


That route was swapped for a 789 in October 2018, the 772s are handeling routes to Europe, New York and Asia.

El Al will not purchase further 777s, mainly 77Ws for the following reasons:

1) They are too big for LY, you can see it in the fact that the 767s and 747s were replaced by 777-200ERs and 787-9s (787s taking on 'exlusive' 777 routes, etc...)
2) The introduction of a new engine (GE90) type to the fleet will cause more cost of aircraft maitainance, as EL AL is not big and not profitable *enough* to hold so many engine types and aircraft types.

As for the rest of the 787s: The last and 12th 789 will arrive this Thursday, 19 September (Israel local time).
The first 2 out of 4 788s will arrive this November-Decmber, with the last 2 arriving in Q1 2020.


Would the 78X be a suitable choice for LY, given the size of its 787 fleet. Replacing 744s (which never seemed to suffer from low loads, particularly on t/a flights) with 789s seems a bit odd to me; the 78X would give them a capacity boost on key routes. Also, given that NZ was satisfied with the 78X's range potential for its t/p fights, surely LY would be able to use it on pretty much any route, except possibly LAX?


It can defenitly be the case except from LAX, MIA, SFO, MCO and LAS (the last 2 are seasonal).
BOS and ORD might be a little edgy there, but then again: The 772ERs will undergo a retrofit this year, and it was pointed in this forum more than once that the seating capacity will be increased from 279/283 to 320 seats, so that a replacement for the 772ERs, such as the 78J will be more relevant for them probably from the middle of the next decade, if not later.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos