LatinPlane
Topic Author

Conviasa starts MEX

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 am

Effective Nov 15, Conviasa launches regular nonstop CCS-MEX - 2x weekly on their EMB-190. Flights are weight restricted and passengers will be allowed only a certain amount of luggage weight to be carried as the aircraft will be heavily penalized. http://www.conviasa.aero/

Conviasa has yet to secure landing slots at MEX, but flights are already bookable for a reasonable $500+ economy. AM dropped CCS in 2016 after increasing difficulties to operate to CCS.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

dcajet

Re: Conviasa starts MEX

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm

This has to be a cruel joke. A 4+ hr flight on an E190? What kind of clientele are they expecting to attract? I know, it's Chavismo's Venezuela. Securing slots should not be an issue. Mexico's current government has not made a secret of their admiration of their "compadres" at Caracas.

On a slightly related topic, I had read that Conviasa's sole A340-200 had flown to Tehran for an overhaul, after years of storage. Would anyone know anything else?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

vahancrazy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm

dcajet wrote:
This has to be a cruel joke. A 4+ hr flight on an E190? [...]

4h in an E90 can be not better nor worst than 4h in a 737 or A380 when the seat is equally good.
It is up to every single passenger to discriminate whether to book a route or not according to airliners size.

In the specific.... Conviasa(+Venezuela) has several issues. It is possible that next airworthy bigger airplane was too much airplane for the mission and an E90 makes more sense (or it is the correct pax size)

MalevTU134

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:09 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
dcajet wrote:

4h in an E90 can be not better nor worst than 4h in a 737 or A380 when the seat is equally good.
It is up to every single passenger to discriminate whether to book a route or not according to airliners size.

In the specific.... Conviasa(+Venezuela) has several issues. It is possible that next airworthy bigger airplane was too much airplane for the mission and an E90 makes more sense (or it is the correct pax size)

Sorry...what "next airworthy bigger airplane" of Conviasa's are you referring to? All they have that can fly are the few E190s. Not sure about the Cessna Caravans, but you sure wouldn't want to try getting to MEX in one of those.

On another note, I announce (I, not Conviasa...which is probably worth just as much) that Conviasa will start flights to EZE with the same E190s (with a stop in VVI to say hello to Uncle Evo) this coming December, once the Kirchner cleptocracy is back in power.

MalevTU134

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:14 pm

dcajet wrote:
This has to be a cruel joke. A 4+ hr flight on an E190? What kind of clientele are they expecting to attract? I know, it's Chavismo's Venezuela. Securing slots should not be an issue. Mexico's current government has not made a secret of their admiration of their "compadres" at Caracas.
Mi
On a slightly related topic, I had read that Conviasa's sole A340-200 had flown to Tehran for an overhaul, after years of storage. Would anyone know anything else?

I will be back in Caracas in a few weeks' time, I will try to spot it outside Conviasa's hangar a.k.a. HQ at Maiquetía. IF it gets back into regular service, it would be the only A342 in passenger service anywhere, wouldn't it?

dcajet

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:18 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Mi

I will be back in Caracas in a few weeks' time, I will try to spot it outside Conviasa's hangar a.k.a. HQ at Maiquetía. IF it gets back into regular service, it would be the only A342 in passenger service anywhere, wouldn't it?

If indeed it went to Iran, I highly doubt Conviasa will see it back and we will see it flying for one of their airlines. Not that Conviasa needs it anyway. And yes, it would be the only A342 in airline service. There are some frames in military service still.. VIP transport and the likes.

As to restarting flights to EZE, I believe Estelar has it well covered. If you are interested in Captain Beto's (Alberto Fernandez) dilemma with Venezuela, see today's Ricardo Kirschbaum column on Clarin. Things may not be like they seem they will be. Realpolitik?

https://www.clarin.com/opinion/sintonia ... 0DWpp.html.

vahancrazy wrote:
dcajet wrote:

An E190 was never designed to be flown on a 5 hour flight. Have you stopped for a minute to imagine what those Lilliputian lavatories would look (and feel) after 5 hours? And that is just the beginning... there is no room aboard for much hand luggage, the galleys are tiny and if you add these alleged baggage restrictions, it would truly be a "delightful" journey.

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm

dcajet wrote:

I believe the clientele would be a roughly 35,000 Venezuelans that have settled in Mexico recently. A tiny fraction compared to what the rest of the South American countries have received. Mexico has taken in mostly professionals that can afford to go back and forth and spur demand for a direct flight. Similar to what Mexico did during the 70s when it took in thousands of political immigrants from far away Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile.

I wouldn't say they are compadres, but I would say that they have chosen not to impose or interfere with Venezuela's political situation. This of course because they are not impacted by its full effects compared to its South American counterparts, who can't keep up with the exodus of people.

Mexico City slots are hard to come by. Even EK is still trying to secure slots.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

dcajet

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm

LatinPlane wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I believe the clientele would be a roughly 35,000 Venezuelans that have settled in Mexico recently. A tiny fraction compared to what the rest of the South American countries have received. Mexico has taken in mostly professionals that can afford to go back and forth and spur demand for a direct flight. Similar to what Mexico did during the 70s when it took in thousands of political immigrants from far away Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile.

I wouldn't say they are compadres, but I would say that they have chosen not to impose or interfere with Venezuela's political situation. This of course because they are not impacted by its full effects compared to its South American counterparts, who can't keep up with the exodus of people.

Mexico City slots are hard to come by. Even EK is still trying to secure slots.

I highly doubt those "professionals" would fly on Conviasa and on an E190 to boot. COPA seems like a more apt choice for that group.

I disagree with your view on why the current Mexican administration (and Uruguay's) have chosen to look the other way when it comes to Venezuela. But then, we digress from the topic at hand.

MalevTU134

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:23 pm

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Mi

If indeed it went to Iran, I highly doubt Conviasa will see it back and we will see it flying for one of their airlines. Not that Conviasa needs it anyway. And yes, it would be the only A342 in airline service. There are some frames in military service still.. VIP transport and the likes.

As to restarting flights to EZE, I believe Estelar has it well covered. If you are interested in Captain Beto's (Alberto Fernandez) dilemma with Venezuela, see today's Ricardo Kirschbaum column on Clarin. Things may not be like they seem they will be. Realpolitik?

vahancrazy wrote:
dcajet wrote:

An E190 was never designed to be flown on a 5 hour flight. Have you stopped for a minute to imagine what those Lilliputian lavatories would look (and feel) after 5 hours? And that is just the beginning... there is no room aboard for much hand luggage, the galleys are tiny and if you add these alleged baggage restrictions, it would truly be a "delightful" journey.

Yes, well, joining Uruguay and Mexico in their stance of "let's just walk by as this woman is being raped" cowardly philosphy is what is expected. Fernández2 has already said during the campaign that he thinks that Venezuela is no dictatorship and that government and its institutions are working just fine in Venezuela. And Fernández1, well, we all know her admiraton of Maduro.

More related to aviation: is the weight restriction only out of MEX or both ways? If only from MEX, then that should be resolved that natural way, since flights to Venezuela run at roughly 10-30% load factors nowadays (with exception of those from Cuba, Colomba and Panama).

OA940

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:27 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

vahancrazy wrote:

Yes, well, joining Uruguay and Mexico in their stance of "let's just walk by as this woman is being raped" cowardly philosphy is what is expected. Fernández2 has already said during the campaign that he thinks that Venezuela is no dictatorship and that government and its institutions are working just fine in Venezuela. And Fernández1, well, we all know her admiraton of Maduro.

More related to aviation: is the weight restriction only out of MEX or both ways? If only from MEX, then that should be resolved that natural way, since flights to Venezuela run at roughly 10-30% load factors nowadays (with exception of those from Cuba, Colomba and Panama).

I'm not gonna dive into the politics of all this but regarding the weight restriction question, considering AC flies (or flew idk now) 5 hour flights with the E190 to PDX and considering its maximum range is more than enough for a 4 hour flight they should be fine headed to MEX. And, like you said, flights to Venezuela haven't been doing great lately, so they should definitely have no issue northbound.
A350/CSeries = bae

chepos

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 am

Very interesting, that sure is a haul for the 190. At my airline we flew them midcon within the US and it felt cramped towards the end of the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

dcajet

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm

FWIW. here's some Venezuelan government press about Conviasa overhauling their single A340-200 before it left for Iran.

https://www.vtv.gob.ve/conviasa-manteni ... 00-vuelos/

adamblang

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

dcajet wrote:

I've flown MKE-SEA on a Frontier E-190 (4.5 hr block time). It was fine.
United flies MSN-LAX on E-175s (4.25 hr block time). It's fine.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

mia

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Is MEX slot restricted at all hours?
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos