DakotaFlyer
Topic Author

Gulf Shores, AL Planning New Terminal

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I was hoping to put this in an established thread, but could not find the appropriate one. Anyway, $5 Million terminal planned, which will include space for regional jets and hope of starting commercial service.
https://mynbc15.com/news/local/gulf-sho ... r-terminal

DL717

Re: Gulf Shores, AL Planning New Terminal

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:26 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
I was hoping to put this in an established thread, but could not find the appropriate one. Anyway, $5 Million terminal planned, which will include space for regional jets and hope of starting commercial service.

$5 million? Must be a Coleman pop up tent.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ATLgaUSA

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 pm

I think JKA could likely support seasonal service to ATL and IAH. Unlike the other Gulf cities, it doesn’t have a substantial military base to drive year round traffic.

KFTG

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Didn't Comair fly to Gulf Shores with the Bro in the 90s?

sprxUSA

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm

KFTG wrote:
Didn't Comair fly to Gulf Shores with the Bro in the 90s?

No
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:03 pm

This smells like an effort to attract G4 and/or F9, not a legacy carrier, even with BFM and PNS close by.

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
This smells like an effort to attract G4 and/or F9, not a legacy carrier, even with BFM and PNS close by.

They should study the experience of Branson Airport BKG. The only way to overcome market forces and economies of scale is with a large, steady stream of money.

DakotaFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Gulf Shores just seems like a driving beach to me. Most visitors likely come from the southeast which makes driving the preferred travel. I just have a hard time seeing snowbirds and others fro outside the region choosing Gulf Shores of other Gulf of Mexico destinations.

drdisque

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

40 miles from PNS
54 miles from BFM

Runway is only 100 ft. wide.

I don't see how any airline would be interested. Maybe Southern Airways Express seasonal.

lavalampluva

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:09 pm

DL717 wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:

Wouldn't take much for a hurricane to level it.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

FlyPNS1

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Yeah, this seems like a waste...particularly with commercial service eventually shifting over from MOB to BFM. I just don't think the Gulf Coast region needs another commercial service airport with MOB/BFM/PNS/VPS/ECP...all in proximity.

<quote>Gulf Shores just seems like a driving beach to me. Most visitors likely come from the southeast which makes driving the preferred travel. I just have a hard time seeing snowbirds and others fro outside the region choosing Gulf Shores of other Gulf of Mexico destinations</quote>

To be fair, VPS has done well attracting a lot of visitors from beyond the Southeast with G4 flights that go well into the midwest/northeast.

FlyingElvii

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
Yeah, this seems like a waste...particularly with commercial service eventually shifting over from MOB to BFM. I just don't think the Gulf Coast region needs another commercial service airport with MOB/BFM/PNS/VPS/ECP...all in proximity.

<quote>Gulf Shores just seems like a driving beach to me. Most visitors likely come from the southeast which makes driving the preferred travel. I just have a hard time seeing snowbirds and others fro outside the region choosing Gulf Shores of other Gulf of Mexico destinations</quote>

To be fair, VPS has done well attracting a lot of visitors from beyond the Southeast with G4 flights that go well into the midwest/northeast.

To be fair, Gulf Shores is a busy, busy airport, in season.
That said, I think it is just too close to Mobile or PNS to make it work.

msycajun

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Honestly, I think the money would be better spent on a more direct rail line from Mobile to Gulf Shores connected to Pensacola. The old Sunset Limited route used to take a whopping 4 hours to go from Mobile to Pensacola because the rail lines take a sparsely populated detour out to Atmore, AL.

Work is being done to start up a New Orleans-Mobile commuter service within two years that would start with two daily roundtrips. A more direct routing would make it possible to extend that commuter service to Gulf Shores and Pensacola at a negligible additional cost and would maybe even add enough ridership to completely fund Amtrak's operating costs on the line.

Alas looks like AL leadership is more interested in an airport terminal money pit and multi billion dollar bridge in Mobile than such a sensible project.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:25 pm

With Allegiant finding gold on VPS from places like MEM and XNA(once considered drive only) a small airline like Southern Air Express that found success at Destin could shift their Caravans to Gulf Shores to maintain their niche.

FLALEFTY

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:40 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

They should study the experience of Branson Airport BKG. The only way to overcome market forces and economies of scale is with a large, steady stream of money.

Good point. BKG even had service from mighty Southwest, but they couldn't make it work.

As for the regional partners of major airlines, serving JKA would bite into the established catchment areas of MOB & PNS, which would mean that to serve JKA would probably require service reductions to those existing commercial airports. As for ULCC's, F9 has only recently started services from BFM to DEN and ORD, probably received incentives to do so and will have to stay there for a while. JKA is also too close to VPS, which is a major focus city for G4. To complete the viable, existing ULCC's, NK prefers serving major markets. As for Moxy, they haven't even left the nest yet.

xjetflyer2001

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 pm

msycajun wrote:
Honestly, I think the money would be better spent on a more direct rail line from Mobile to Gulf Shores connected to Pensacola. The old Sunset Limited route used to take a whopping 4 hours to go from Mobile to Pensacola because the rail lines take a sparsely populated detour out to Atmore, AL.

Work is being done to start up a New Orleans-Mobile commuter service within two years that would start with two daily roundtrips. A more direct routing would make it possible to extend that commuter service to Gulf Shores and Pensacola at a negligible additional cost and would maybe even add enough ridership to completely fund Amtrak's operating costs on the line.

Alas looks like AL leadership is more interested in an airport terminal money pit and multi billion dollar bridge in Mobile than such a sensible project.

Alabama politicans, sounds like a kick back in there somewhere, however the multi billion dollar bridge is all but dead at this moment.

Blueknows

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 pm

This might have silver airways or maybe contour/ boutique.

jcwr56

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 am

I would love the capital of the Redneck Rivera have a new terminal.

Having seen the area grow over the last 20 years (property owner) I believe it could support limited air services.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:42 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Good point. BKG even had service from mighty Southwest, but they couldn't make it work.

As for the regional partners of major airlines, serving JKA would bite into the established catchment areas of MOB & PNS, which would mean that to serve JKA would probably require service reductions to those existing commercial airports. As for ULCC's, F9 has only recently started services from BFM to DEN and ORD, probably received incentives to do so and will have to stay there for a while. JKA is also too close to VPS, which is a major focus city for G4. To complete the viable, existing ULCC's, NK prefers serving major markets. As for Moxy, they haven't even left the nest yet.

BKG had DEN, ORD and DFW on Frontier this past summer.

CIDFlyer

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:00 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Gulf Shores just seems like a driving beach to me. Most visitors likely come from the southeast which makes driving the preferred travel. I just have a hard time seeing snowbirds and others fro outside the region choosing Gulf Shores of other Gulf of Mexico destinations.

you would be surprised, Alabama Gulf Coast and Florida panhandle have a decent snowbird population. I know this from experience, my parents have wintered at Orange Beach since 1998. The number of midwest license plates almost outnumber the local ones. With that said though, PNS has always been my preferred airport when flying down there (and you can believe me I go visit when the parents are down there because 2 weeks away from Iowa on the Gulf in February is nice!) Flew into VPS once just because they had reward ticket availability when PNS didnt.

evank516

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 am

drdisque wrote:

Runway is only 100 ft. wide.

So is EYW's but they see daily 737s.

While I highly doubt they'll see air service, a 100 foot wide runway isn't really a limiting factor.

WeatherPilot

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:38 am

In the spirit of Oprah:

“YOU GET AN AIRPORT! AND YOU GET AND AIRPORT! EVERYBODY GETS AN AIRPORT!! HA Hah HAHAhaHAAAAAAA!!!”

alasizon

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 am

DL717 wrote:

Five million might buy them a few modular buildings with ramps and some room for TSA but I fail to see how it is going to support that many gates at that price.

There just isn't a need for commercial service, particularly when no matter what PNS and BFM/MOB are going to offer better service.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

TTailedTiger

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 am

FlyPNS1 wrote:

Why would the legacies move from MOB to BFM? Reading the facility descriptions that F9 uses at BFM it seems highly inadequate. They would have to build a new terminal and concourse facility.

southsky

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why would the legacies move from MOB to BFM? Reading the facility descriptions that F9 uses at BFM it seems highly inadequate. They would have to build a new terminal and concourse facility.

That is the plan... a new terminal is going to be built for the legacies at BFM. The current terminal that F9 uses is a converted Airbus warehouse, but believe it or not the legacies have expressed their interest in moving to BFM before it is built (should the airport authority procure jetbridges for it and continue on the expansion within the building).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos