Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr

Re: FedEx to park 35 planes on weaker demand

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:15 am

Like any other company, FedEx made mistakes, are being affected by competition and flat/declining demand.
Perhaps they kept the fuel and mx hog MD's too long.
They are almost like 'legacy' airline or company where their labor costs are high.
I work in a law department of a government agency and more document deliveries and most court filings are not physical packages, but done so electronically/digitally so are losing much of their original business.
No doubt Amazon is using its muscle to get cut rate deals that are just not profitable for FedEx as they are going their own way with self owned and contracted delivery 'last mile' services, that has been noted above, part of an 8% decline in revenues.
FedEx has problems with its Ground/Last Mile services as they are expensive as to labor, facing more contracted services, tighter Federal regulations including mandated e-records on driver hours, and lost control in needing to use contractors to hold down costs.
The China trade debacle of Pres. Trump and the long anticipated slowdown of China's economy.
UPS has limited Saturday deliveries, only for air express shipments in some markets while FedEx offers Saturday deliveries more broadly and costly.

tsra

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am

HPRamper wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
FedEx this peak season had absolutely horrible reliability. Not a single package arrived on-time and they lost about 50% of them with the status still “pending”. Amazon on the other hand delivered everything on-time without losing a single package. FedEx did a lot of damage to their reputation as a lot of shippers were clearly not happy with their performance.

That is anecdotal, as FedEx Express had the usual solid delivery reliability systemwide. Ground probably did not. I received a package from Express on time. Doesn't mean my one experience reflects much of anything.

We had six packages that were not delivered by FedEx this season while UPS and Amazon all delivered on time or early. In fact, after a week of non-delivery, I called FedEx and went to the sorting center where my packages were said to have been delivered from to personally pick up. I was told three times they would hold my packages for me to pick up only to arrive and be told the packages were on a delivery truck. The forth time I was less patient with the "manager" and low and behold all of my packages were given to me after being told they were on the truck. That is unacceptable. The kicker here is that the entire line of people, maybe a dozen or more, were having the same non-delivery issue. I have friends who are office managers that have been told never to use FedEx again because of their lack of performance. It is a shame as FedEx has always been my go to provider but after this last fiasco I would have to be very hard pressed to ever use them again (and I hear I'm not the only one).

EXMEMWIDGET

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 pm

tsra wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
FedEx this peak season had absolutely horrible reliability. Not a single package arrived on-time and they lost about 50% of them with the status still “pending”. Amazon on the other hand delivered everything on-time without losing a single package. FedEx did a lot of damage to their reputation as a lot of shippers were clearly not happy with their performance.

That is anecdotal, as FedEx Express had the usual solid delivery reliability systemwide. Ground probably did not. I received a package from Express on time. Doesn't mean my one experience reflects much of anything.

We had six packages that were not delivered by FedEx this season while UPS and Amazon all delivered on time or early. In fact, after a week of non-delivery, I called FedEx and went to the sorting center where my packages were said to have been delivered from to personally pick up. I was told three times they would hold my packages for me to pick up only to arrive and be told the packages were on a delivery truck. The forth time I was less patient with the "manager" and low and behold all of my packages were given to me after being told they were on the truck. That is unacceptable. The kicker here is that the entire line of people, maybe a dozen or more, were having the same non-delivery issue. I have friends who are office managers that have been told never to use FedEx again because of their lack of performance. It is a shame as FedEx has always been my go to provider but after this last fiasco I would have to be very hard pressed to ever use them again (and I hear I'm not the only one).

If it is any consolation, UPS took 10 days to deliver my 2 Day Air package from California to Texas. It was shipped on the 17th and arrived on the 27th and it was a Christmas gift, of course. I have no idea why it was so late.
Ex DL and NW, current FX.

mcdu

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:30 pm

I think this is a problem with all of the delivery companies. I have had the same issue with FedEx, UPS. DHL is by far the worse in my opinion and that is why they have some a small footprint. One of the issues I have with FexEX and UPS is the technology side of the customer experience. Their IT seems clunky and not user friendly in any manner. The websites and apps often have broken links or links that circle you back to where you were at the first click.

Perhaps UPS and FEDEX clean up with large corporate accounts and shipping and the general public is not taken as seriously. I have had some seriously surly FedEX employee experiences when attempting to pick up or ship from a center. Their customer service side needs some tweaking in my opinion.

Freight has enjoyed a long run of success and whether this blip is indicative of a larger economy issue is yet to be seen. However, when shipping slows there is a good chance the economy may not be far behind. In this instance I don’t think shipping is down it is just being spread out to more players.

tsra wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Babyshark

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:11 pm

The largest shopping day ever recorded was December 21, 2019 at 34.4B. Beat black Friday's 31.1B. Also there was cyber Monday at 19B and December 14 at 28B and an average given day of 12B. A lot was spent. Bloomberg news said job growth, stronger household finances, and fatter wallets put consumers in a spending mood. 58% of the growth was in ecommerce. Overall I think it's a 3.4% growth in holiday spending.

I personally did a lot of online purchases, a lot from Amazon, Walmart and Costco... none of them used a FedEx truck FWIW. No idea why. Just an observation.

ILNFlyer

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:16 pm

USAirKid wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
I imagine we will have UPS Airlines speeding up fleet retirements coming soon, too?

Its possible, but from what I've heard UPS needs to grow their fleet to be in compliance with their union agreement. I forget the exact details, but they will/have taken delivery of 767Fs from CAM.

They took delivery of 5 767 in November - December.

mcg

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Isn't what FX is doing here what all airlines do? That is buy new more efficient planes and retire older less efficient planes? I'm trying to figure our what the story is here.

And for what it's worth, I had some really bad experience with UPS this month. Overnight package took four days, the odd thing is that I diverted the package to the local UPS store and it was put on a truck for delivery three times without being delivered. Somehow the UPS store would the one place a truck goes to every day. I had a package that requires signature attempt delivery one day earlier than the emailed expected delivery date, so I missed the driver by a few minutes. The next two attempted delivery dates were missed, I've now rescheduled into next week.

dcaviation

Re: FedEx Missing Financial Targets, Overstaffed With Pilots

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 pm

lightsaber wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Yeh, she's the problem here. :boggled:

Helane Becker is a managing director and senior research analyst who covers airlines, air freight, aircraft and container leasing. She has more than 30 years of experience on Wall Street, holding positions within the research, trading, and investment banking departments of several global broker/dealers. She has been ranked as the #1, 2, or 3 analyst by Institutional Investor magazine, as well as in the top 5 analysts by The Wall Street Journal.

Smith seemed to take some pride in FedEx's record of hiring female and minority pilots.

I don’t care what she covers...the notion of FedEx struggling to find pilots is ridiculous. They probably have at least 10,000 applications on file.

FedEx is definitely a coveted pilot position. I would guess about 10,000 pilot resumes in the (digital) files is about right. If someone doesn't want to work there, they can apply at equally appealing pilot jobs and find out that while there is a pilot shortage, those that haven't given everything lack the experience for most positions.

FedEx has 284 Aircraft in the fleet per Wikipedia. 5,030 pilots per:
https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... ex_express

FedEx probably only can hire 1 out if 25 applicants. If someone doesn't want to apply to the world's largest widebody opperator, that is their perogative.

Reducing the fleet by 35 aircraft means 500 to 600 fewer pilots.

Lightsaber

That's wrong number in wiki. Active wide body only is 279 planes for a total of 392 (wide body + 757s).
That's not including puddle jumpers of Feeder like C208.

Revelation

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 pm

mcg wrote:
Isn't what FX is doing here what all airlines do? That is buy new more efficient planes and retire older less efficient planes? I'm trying to figure our what the story is here.

As the first post spells out, FX is parking older less efficient planes ahead of their planned dates, and is not increasing purchases of newer more efficient planes to compensate. This isn't what all airlines do, unless you are only considering those in a declining phase of their existence. At the same time a customer that used to do a large amount of business with FX, Amazon, is building up their own package handling service using leased aircraft. Seems newsworthy to me.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Spacepope

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm

dcaviation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:

I don’t care what she covers...the notion of FedEx struggling to find pilots is ridiculous. They probably have at least 10,000 applications on file.

FedEx is definitely a coveted pilot position. I would guess about 10,000 pilot resumes in the (digital) files is about right. If someone doesn't want to work there, they can apply at equally appealing pilot jobs and find out that while there is a pilot shortage, those that haven't given everything lack the experience for most positions.

FedEx has 284 Aircraft in the fleet per Wikipedia. 5,030 pilots per:
https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... ex_express

FedEx probably only can hire 1 out if 25 applicants. If someone doesn't want to apply to the world's largest widebody opperator, that is their perogative.

Reducing the fleet by 35 aircraft means 500 to 600 fewer pilots.

Lightsaber

That's wrong number in wiki. Active wide body only is 279 planes for a total of 392 (wide body + 757s).
That's not including puddle jumpers of Feeder like C208.

Correct, and of those 35 getting parked, 10 of them (most of the A310s and a few A300s) were already sunning themselves in Victorville before the announcement. So really it's 25 going away, mostly getting backfilled 1 for 1 with 767 and 777 deliveries.
The last of the famous international playboys

dcaviation

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Just speaking of devil. Last Tuesday I've shipped 0.5lb envelope from DC to TX. The item supposed to arrive last Thursday. It didn't. It arrived today. And while I was typing my previous message, I've got this email from FedEx.

"Please be advised of the rate changes to your shipment xxxxxxx dated 12/24/19. FedEx has reviewed this shipment for correct pieces, weight, and service. Any changes made are reflected in the invoice amount.
The final rated amount of your shipment is $ 61.12 compared to the original rate quote of $ 32.58 . Please consult the applicable FedEx Service Guide for details.
Thank you for choosing FedEx.
FedEx Revenue Services"

I don't think that we will use FedEx as our corporate shipping method anymore...

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm

mcdu wrote:
I think this is a problem with all of the delivery companies. I have had the same issue with FedEx, UPS. DHL is by far the worse in my opinion and that is why they have some a small footprint. One of the issues I have with FexEX and UPS is the technology side of the customer experience. Their IT seems clunky and not user friendly in any manner. The websites and apps often have broken links or links that circle you back to where you were at the first click.

Perhaps UPS and FEDEX clean up with large corporate accounts and shipping and the general public is not taken as seriously. I have had some seriously surly FedEX employee experiences when attempting to pick up or ship from a center. Their customer service side needs some tweaking in my opinion.

I don’t know that the customer service is any better for the large corporate accounts. I work for one of those accounts, and we’re pretty profitable because the vast majority of our shipping is overnight envelopes — virtually no packages and very little two-day or ground. When FedEx loses stuff, we get the same terrible service as everybody else. To me, the problem is more that FedEx’s customer service isn’t sufficient for IRROPS. It’s sort of like when HP bought US and struggled with winter weather events at the east coast hubs because they had never done it before.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Scarebus34

Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:29 pm

HPRamper wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Maybe - but it's still FedEx. As ground/Home Delivery services were absolutely atrocious, that damages the brand as a whole. There are a lot of businesses who say they will never use FedEx again because they generated a lot of ill will by not delivering on-time.

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/18/fedex-n ... ing-weeks/

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/don ... ery-delays

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/ha ... -packages/

mcdu

Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:54 pm

I agree with you. The FedEx ground and express are synonymous to the Cusotmer. It is exactly like the major/express partner for the airlines. The consumer sees them as the same since they are sold at the same place and both carry the fedex logo. The airlines suffer from using outsourced contracting carriers with very bad service and operations. It is reflected with poor customer experience. Fedex is a bit different as their customer service be it ground or express is less than stellar. The arrogance and lack of customer appreciation at FedEx reminds me of going to a US Post office when I have to go to one of their service centers.

Scarebus34 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Maybe - but it's still FedEx. As ground/Home Delivery services were absolutely atrocious, that damages the brand as a whole. There are a lot of businesses who say they will never use FedEx again because they generated a lot of ill will by not delivering on-time.

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/18/fedex-n ... ing-weeks/

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/don ... ery-delays

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/ha ... -packages/

mcg

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Revelation wrote:
mcg wrote:

As the first post spells out, FX is parking older less efficient planes ahead of their planned dates, and is not increasing purchases of newer more efficient planes to compensate. This isn't what all airlines do, unless you are only considering those in a declining phase of their existence. At the same time a customer that used to do a large amount of business with FX, Amazon, is building up their own package handling service using leased aircraft. Seems newsworthy to me.

Thanks for the explanation.

USAirKid

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:23 pm

mcdu wrote:
I agree with you. The FedEx ground and express are synonymous to the Cusotmer. It is exactly like the major/express partner for the airlines. The consumer sees them as the same since they are sold at the same place and both carry the fedex logo. The airlines suffer from using outsourced contracting carriers with very bad service and operations. It is reflected with poor customer experience. Fedex is a bit different as their customer service be it ground or express is less than stellar. The arrogance and lack of customer appreciation at FedEx reminds me of going to a US Post office when I have to go to one of their service centers.

And FWIW, FedEx stupidly decided to make all the FedEx services look the same color wise a year or so ago. Previously, Ground had a Purple “Fed”, and a green “Ex” and “Ground”. Now they’re all like Express: a purple “Fed” and an orange “Ex” and “Ground”

To bring it back to the airline business, they decided to be like Alaska when it comes to their Express carriers, not like the other operators.

HPRamper

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:49 am

USAirKid wrote:
mcdu wrote:

And FWIW, FedEx stupidly decided to make all the FedEx services look the same color wise a year or so ago. Previously, Ground had a Purple “Fed”, and a green “Ex” and “Ground”. Now they’re all like Express: a purple “Fed” and an orange “Ex” and “Ground”

To bring it back to the airline business, they decided to be like Alaska when it comes to their Express carriers, not like the other operators.

By and large, the average customer doesn't know the difference between Ground and Express, as noted above - it's all just FedEx, which is why they made it all orange.
Ground is definitely a conundrum for FX corporate. It's cheap to run and easier to pull a profit from, but it has a horrible reputation for service that drags the entire FedEx name down. For those of us at the company, it doesn't sit well, and it's a result of what we call the "visionaries" retiring and the "bean-counters" taking their places. Like many airlines, FX is involved in the race to the bottom as far as customer service and overall quality go.
Customer service, by the way, is the same for Express and Ground - it's widely known as horrible. As customer-facing employees we were told to always refer issues to the 1-800 number, but we never did, because they were flat-out bad and it was just asking for a lost customer so would try to solve all the problems on the front line instead.

747classic

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 am

What about the Fedex A300 fleet, I noticed that three of the non -R aircraft* (N716FD,-N718FD and N720FD) are stored since Dec 2014 - Jan 2015
Also another A300-622(F), N719FD seems to be stored at VCV in October 2019.
The only active A300-622(F) in the Fedex fleet is N717FD, all others are -600R(F) aircraft

Will these 5 non standard aircraft be permanently withdrawn and not receiving the flightdeck upgrade and used for spares ?

Note : A300-600R variant : Increased-range −600, achieved by an additional trim fuel tank in the tail.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

exFWAOONW

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:46 pm

Spacepope wrote:

Correct, and of those 35 getting parked, 10 of them (most of the A310s and a few A300s) were already sunning themselves in Victorville before the announcement. So really it's 25 going away, mostly getting backfilled 1 for 1 with 767 and 777 deliveries.

I can see them parking more than 35 as they get get new deliveries to replace them. Don’t the 777s lift more than the DC10s? If so, you have to park more DC10s than 777s delivered to get the “equivalent “ reduction in capacity they say they are aiming for. I don’t see a 1:1 replacement, zero-sum game here.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Spacepope

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:23 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

I can see them parking more than 35 as they get get new deliveries to replace them. Don’t the 777s lift more than the DC10s? If so, you have to park more DC10s than 777s delivered to get the “equivalent “ reduction in capacity they say they are aiming for. I don’t see a 1:1 replacement, zero-sum game here.

The 777s aren't replacing any DC-10s though, so that analogy is flawed. They're replacing MD-11s on long hauls, with the freed up MD-11s taking over some domestic DC-10 flying. The bump up in capacity is incremental, but offset by reduced volume when DC-10s are replaced by 763s.

Most MD-11s still have too much useful life left in them to park yet, but when aircraft are retired beyond these 35 look at a few MD-11 and some of the oldest A300 first.

USAirKid

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:02 pm

My pedantic self feels a need to remind folks that FX doesn’t have any DC-10s. They’ve all been converted to MD-10s...

WPvsMW

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 pm

My stab at root cause of FX' loss of AMZL contract: FX ground segment (Express trucks and network) was too expensive... because the franchise strategy (licensing the trademark, but losing operational control) for Fedex Ground backfired: Express ground segment could not match UPS ground segment, and Express ground segment did not (could not?) hand off to Fedex Ground, making Express end-to-end more expensive. Franchising the Fedex trademark to independent operators was a bean-counter strategy divorced from logistics strategy. IMO, if Express does not buy out the Fedex Ground franchises, FX' domestic ops will continue to shrink. The non-AMZL major shippers (Walmart, Costco, etc.) who relied on Fedex Ground were badly burned during Peak this season. FX must act quickly to rebuild ground segment loyalty.... otherwise FX retraces the DHL retrenchment on a much larger scale.

ryanov

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:19 am

glideslope900 wrote:
But still, I don’t see why the color of anyone’s skin or gender is going to help the situation. An ATP pilot that has the minimum qualifications is an ATP pilot that has the minimum qualifications. Skin color and gender should not matter.

You are so right. It should not matter at all.

But is has. Why do you think there are so few women or people of color flying?

That’s why companies are trying to fix it. Those that don’t notice the need may not be in those two categories and need a little help seeing it.

ltbewr

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 am

I would presume with the Christmas holiday peak and the China flu outbreak, more planes will be parked by FedEx and other air carriers. Even if parked, there are still insurance, mx and other costs although depreciation could be speeded up.

747classic

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:14 am

MD11F N607FE has been ferried to Victorville for storage at Feb 5th, see : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n607fe
MD11(F) N578FE has been ferried to Victorville for storage at Feb 6th, see : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n578fe

Note : UPS seems to have a need for more capacity and added to late built ex. Lufthansa MD-11F aircraft (L/N 645 and 646) to become active (not for spare parts).
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

par13del

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:08 pm

How long before Amazon starts offering service to third parties?
The funny thing is that one business is just going back to the roots of what made another business successful, so successful that they forgot from whence they came.
I think this is what some call the business cycle, more like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:41 pm

747classic wrote:
MD11F N607FE has been ferried to Victorville for storage at Feb 5th, see : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n607fe
MD11(F) N578FE has been ferried to Victorville for storage at Feb 6th, see : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n578fe

Note : UPS seems to have a need for more capacity and added to late built ex. Lufthansa MD-11F aircraft (L/N 645 and 646) to become active (not for spare parts).

From the FAA SDR reporting site:

N607FE 84,720 hours and 20,446 cycles as of last July
N578FE 75,396 hours and 20,610 cycles as of last August

Spring chickens.

dcs921

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:50 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Spring chickens.

Sarcasm? Default LOV for the MD-11 is 20,000 cycles.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:01 pm

dcs921 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
Spring chickens.

Sarcasm? Default LOV for the MD-11 is 20,000 cycles.

And 60,000 flight hours. As some Fedex MD-11s are trucking around with well over 100,000 FH, I'm certain there has been an extension. Default on MD-10-10 is 42,000 cycles, MD-10-30 is 30,000 cycles.

bennett123

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

What is LOV?

dstblj52

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:22 pm

bennett123 wrote:
What is LOV?

Limits of validity it's basically a hard cap on aircraft life span without an extension or after you use up your extension.

bennett123

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:45 pm

What is required to get an extension.

Would the extension cover Hours and Cycles or can you just extend one or the other?.

Perhaps UPS will be interested in ex FedEx MD11's, either for service or spares.

747classic

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Extended Limit Of Validity (LOV) for the MD11 series = 150.000 hrs / 40.000 cycles.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm

747classic wrote:
Extended Limit Of Validity (LOV) for the MD11 series = 150.000 hrs / 40.000 cycles.

Thanks, I was looking and couldn't find it.

So these parked aircraft are right at midlife on bith hours and cycles.

Wouldn;t surprise me to see them parked up as the rest of the higher time fleet is run, returning to service in a few years.

CX747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm

747classic wrote:

Love it, glad to see the MD-11s getting to continue their journey's.

Do we have any info on UPS and future 747 orders? They have some time but will need to decide on what will occur with the current 747-400F fleet. Do heavy maintenance, get a few more years, replace with 747-8F and have a ton more years, replace with XYZ instead.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

UA444

FedEx retiring 757s?

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 pm

On the home page there was a photo of N777FD in VCV stored. Are they already retiring them? They only converted this plane to a freighter in 2015!

Revelation

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:52 am

CX747 wrote:
Do we have any info on UPS and future 747 orders? They have some time but will need to decide on what will occur with the current 747-400F fleet. Do heavy maintenance, get a few more years, replace with 747-8F and have a ton more years, replace with XYZ instead.

New 748F will almost certainly not be an option since Boeing's supply chain is shutting down ( viewtopic.php?t=1435359 ).

In theory Boeing could find a way to get those parts made but it'd be extremely expensive so a HUGE order would be needed.

I'd suppose they'll have to find a way for 777F to work for them, like it or not.

Revelation

Re: FedEx retiring 757s?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:57 am

UA444 wrote:
On the home page there was a photo of N777FD in VCV stored. Are they already retiring them? They only converted this plane to a freighter in 2015!

There are lots of reasons why planes get parked in the desert.

Maybe an insider will tell us if there are any scrapping plans.

Personally I doubt it for the reason you give, they have a lot of money invested in the aircraft.

Chances are that they will rotate frames in and out of VCV to avoid spending on heavy maintenance till they know their future fleet needs.

It seems that aircraft has no engines on it, so maybe they are saving money on engine rebuilds by parking frames and swapping engines as needed.

Spacepope

Re: FedEx retiring 757s?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 am

Revelation wrote:
UA444 wrote:

There are lots of reasons why planes get parked in the desert.

Maybe an insider will tell us if there are any scrapping plans.

Personally I doubt it for the reason you give, they have a lot of money invested in the aircraft.

Chances are that they will rotate frames in and out of VCV to avoid spending on heavy maintenance till they know their future fleet needs.

It seems that aircraft has no engines on it, so maybe they are saving money on engine rebuilds by parking frames and swapping engines as needed.

FedEx are storing 757s there for several years. Last year is the first time in a long while where all of the stored 757s exited and were in service. They tend to lose engines but aren’t parts trees like the parked A310s and MD-10s.

Spacepope

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:10 pm

According to https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=4 MD-10-10 SN 17 has been sent to VCV for scrapping.

N368FE totals of 90150 hours and 38811 cycles as of last June. That's a LOT of cycles.

dcs921

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Spacepope wrote:
747classic wrote:

Thanks, I was looking and couldn't find it.

So these parked aircraft are right at midlife on bith hours and cycles.

Wouldn;t surprise me to see them parked up as the rest of the higher time fleet is run, returning to service in a few years.

You were correct, right in the middle of the maximum LOV. I knew the LOV could be extended but I'm surprised it can be extended that high.

From my count FedEx has sent 15 aircraft to VCV since about the beginning of December. A good chance some of the MD-11s and the 757s will fly again when the need arises.
3-757s
3-A310s. FedEx’s last 3 in that were still actively in service.
2-A300s
4-MD-10-10s
3-MD-11s

UPlog

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Seems things are changing with some of these parked planes:

FedEx Corp. is redeploying aircraft it mothballed earlier this year and plans to add 150 flights over the next month.

At a time passenger travel has ground almost to a halt, the company also has increased U.S. domestic flights to meet higher package volume for the U.S. Postal Service as shut-in Americans buy more goods online, he said.

“It’s a tremendous uptick in flying,” Smith said in a telephone interview. “We were actually surprised we were able to crew all these flights.”

FedEx Puts Parked Jets Back in Service to Meet Cargo Surge
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... argo-surge
I fly your boxes

MohawkWeekend

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Does anyone know if outfits like FedEx, UPS and the like are actually going to get bailout money? If so, why?
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

bennett123

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Does anyone know how many aircraft that they have parked that have not ben scrapped or seriously cut about.

mhockey31091

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
    Does anyone know if outfits like FedEx, UPS and the like are actually going to get bailout money? If so, why?

Assumption would be no, they are thriving right now with all the other carriers basically shutting down.

Spacepope

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm

According to Skyliner, N375FE has been flown to the desert. Based on SDRs she should have right around 42,000 cycles but shy of 100,000 hours.

Newark727

Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:11 am

I know two ex-Lufthansa Cargo MD-11s have gone to UPS, but I notice that another one (the former D-ALCH) seems to have acquired a FedEx registration. Parts donor?

UA444

Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:26 am

Newark727 wrote:
    I know two ex-Lufthansa Cargo MD-11s have gone to UPS, but I notice that another one (the former D-ALCH) seems to have acquired a FedEx registration. Parts donor?

Sure hope not. They’re some of the last ones built and probably have less hours and cycles than many of FX’s.

CX747

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:59 am

UPlog wrote:
    Seems things are changing with some of these parked planes:

FedEx Corp. is redeploying aircraft it mothballed earlier this year and plans to add 150 flights over the next month.

At a time passenger travel has ground almost to a halt, the company also has increased U.S. domestic flights to meet higher package volume for the U.S. Postal Service as shut-in Americans buy more goods online, he said.

“It’s a tremendous uptick in flying,” Smith said in a telephone interview. “We were actually surprised we were able to crew all these flights.”

FedEx Puts Parked Jets Back in Service to Meet Cargo Surge
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... argo-surge

Do we know which specific FEDEX aircraft have been brought back into service?
    "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

LAXintl
    Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 pm

A300 N675FE is out of storage. Ferried VCV-GSO for maintenance this week.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX ... /KVCV/KGSO
    From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos