Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sargester
Topic Author

Thought: Moxy Should Buy Compass?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:14 am

I don't know if this is being discussed anywhere else on here but I think this is an interesting take on how to jumpstart Moxy and swap out old E175s with some Azul 190s, they hold the same type rating so it should be impossible to do but like I said, an interesting take...

Thoughts lads? J

https://crankyflier.com/2019/09/17/moxy ... y-compass/

alasizon

Re: Thought: Moxy Should Buy Compass?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 am

Better off starting fresh with your own leadership and team. Neeleman and Co. know how to start an airline and more than likely MSP, LAX and PHX facilities don't fit what they are looking for. Plus, they know those pilots will be more than willing to come over to Moxy for a pay raise and QoL increase. If it was a struggling/small start-up looking for an air carrier certificate to get a jump on operations it would make more sense but Neeleman has no intention of Moxy being small (relatively).

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 am

alasizon wrote:
Better off starting fresh with your own leadership and team. Neeleman and Co. know how to start an airline and more than likely MSP, LAX and PHX facilities don't fit what they are looking for. Plus, they know those pilots will be more than willing to come over to Moxy for a pay raise and QoL increase. If it was a struggling/small start-up looking for an air carrier certificate to get a jump on operations it would make more sense but Neeleman has no intention of Moxy being small (relatively).

The FAA isn't issuing new 121 certs at the moment. They'll have to buy one somewhere.

ODwyerPW

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:46 am

Varsity1 wrote:
The FAA isn't issuing new 121 certs at the moment. They'll have to buy one somewhere.

This I don't understand. With all of the merger activity in the last decade, there is definitely room for new entrants. Annoying.

KLMatSJC

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 am

I always imagined Compass going to Skywest. They already have an overlapping route map and fleet. With DL, dropping them I can't see them remaining by themselves.

alasizon

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 am

ODwyerPW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

This I don't understand. With all of the merger activity in the last decade, there is definitely room for new entrants. Annoying.

I thought they were again (as of like 2016). Good to know I was wrong.

Still not sure that Compass is the road they would go down as they would still be doing AA flying at the required time of acquisition.

WayexTDI

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Is there any reasoning behind this decision? It seems to go against free capitalist market, which this administration is all about...

airtran737

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 pm

alasizon wrote:

It would be the easiest and cheapest way for Moxy to come in existence. They could buy the certificate, move HQ to where they want, lay off the workers that they don't need, keep the ones who they do, and make it their own very easily.

F9Animal

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:41 pm

I do like the idea, but.... Neeleman a team would clean house in the exec and management level. Then, comes a culture change that might cost more to revamp than what it would to start fresh. I would love to see Compass flourish, and of course I really really care about it's workers. I bet the stress for them right now is real.

Polot

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 pm

airtran737 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

It would be the easiest and cheapest way for Moxy to come in existence. They could buy the certificate, move HQ to where they want, lay off the workers that they don't need, keep the ones who they do, and make it their own very easily.

Laying off workers that they don’t want and getting out of contracts that they won’t want (ie the AA flying, old HQ lease, etc) is not necessarily easy or cheap. There is a reason dead airlines’ certificate are usually chosen to jumpstart operations.

Would be funny though, Compass was started by NW buying Independence Air’s certificate.

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:13 pm

airtran737 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

That argument relies on the idea that it's better to acquire than hire your own people, and that the skills of Compass employees are worth at least what they're paid. What's the evidence that Compass has among the sharpest tools in the shed?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:01 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Is there any reasoning behind this decision? It seems to go against free capitalist market, which this administration is all about...

There were some lack of oversight issues, primarily in south Florida that made the topic an "issue". Existing airlines (and 135 charter companies) support blocking off the market.

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of 121 certs floating around out there. Even Great Lakes is still out there.

WayexTDI

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

There were some lack of oversight issues, primarily in south Florida that made the topic an "issue". Existing airlines (and 135 charter companies) support blocking off the market.

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of 121 certs floating around out there. Even Great Lakes is still out there.

So, free market my behind then?

Bradin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:30 pm

I believe David will do what's reasonable to get Moxy off the ground - even if it means acquiring another airline. But factoring in his background, I think he's more likely to start with a clean slate than acquiring an existing airline.

If one would pardon the expression - there's just too much baggage.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:43 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

So, free market my behind then?

It has never been a free market. Even post deregulation, it's still highly regulated.

FLALEFTY

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 pm

There is a need for another low-cost airline and opportunities to bring much-needed service to many medium-sized cities which are steadily losing mainline flights. If it provides the mid-size city services they plan, Moxy will be good for consumers and the overall economy. But at a macro level the US economy is starting to wobble. The growing political uncertainty in the Middle East, tarrifs wars with China (& maybe the EU) and a US working population sinking deeper in debt is setting the table for the next recession. So the economic window of opportunity for Moxy to get in the air is starting to narrow. They need to move fast.

While Compass presents a potential buying opportunity for Moxy there are still complicated relationships with its parent airlines to be sorted out. Even though Delta is ending its relationship with Compass, they still share pre-merger NW RADAR crew scheduling software and a Delta-owned HQ building at MSP. What Compass would bring to the party for Moxy is an operating certificate and pilots, training, maintenance crew, dispatchers all versed in the E175. This would offer a leg-up in establishing Moxy's initial E190/195 operation using ex-Azul equipment. But would Delta be willing to aid in the establishment of a potential competitor? Also, would AA be willing to end their contract with Compass early?

alasizon

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
While Compass presents a potential buying opportunity for Moxy there are still complicated relationships with its parent airlines to be sorted out. Even though Delta is ending its relationship with Compass, they still share pre-merger NW RADAR crew scheduling software and a Delta-owned HQ building at MSP. What Compass would bring to the party for Moxy is an operating certificate and pilots, training, maintenance crew, dispatchers all versed in the E175. This would offer a leg-up in establishing Moxy's initial E190/195 operation using ex-Azul equipment. But would Delta be willing to aid in the establishment of a potential competitor? Also, would AA be willing to end their contract with Compass early?

DL has no actual control over Compass. Would they kick them out of the MSP office space? Sure. But office space is probably the easiest thing for an airline to get right now (Class A and Class B office space is abundant in just about every metro except NYC and the Texas metros).

As far as AA, the frames were already planned/budgeted to go back to Envoy eventually so as long as Envoy can handle accepting 20 additional frames it would be fine. I believe the target was for early 2021 anyhow so moving that up could cause problems on the MX front but a few extra dollars from Neeleman thrown in the direction of AA might help move that along.

mercure1

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 pm

Buy the part 121 operating certificate is smart.
Doing it from scratch is possible but takes time and $$

DiamondFlyer

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 pm

It's not like the Compass certificate has't been down this road before, as this is exactly how Compass was started.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos