capitalflyer
Topic Author

Effects of Trop Storm Imelda on IAH/HOU

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Both airports have ground stops and roads around both airports are flooding and impassible. Harris County OEM and surrounding counties have issued a civil emergency message requesting people shelter in place.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaain ... PT=IAH&p=0
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/AirportL ... q=HOU&go=1

Any locals know how the runways are holding up? I think both are still trying to do departures but can't imagine that is easy.

bsears86

Re: Effects of Trop Storm Imelda on IAH/HOU

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Runways are good. ATCC is not operating at full capacity, and most streets surrounding the airport are impassable.

portcolumbus

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 pm

IAH is closed to arrivals until 1830Z Friday.

Ishrion

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Caused some nice widebodies to divert to DFW. I believe the Lufthansa A380, Air China 77W, and Emirates 77W have gone to DFW.

Antarius

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:01 pm

I was supposed to be on QR714 today. That diverted to PHL.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

Sooner787

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Caused some nice widebodies to divert to DFW. I believe the Lufthansa A380, Air China 77W, and Emirates 77W have gone to DFW.

Looks like DFW will have some overnight guests then.

Appears BA195 diverted to DFW as well,

but BA197 is still in the air and is diverting to MCO?
Last edited by Sooner787 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CO777DAL

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Just flew out of DFW on United and man is it a madhouse at UA gates at DFW. When I was driving to the Terminal E I spotted UA planes at Terminal D. UA doesn't fly into Terminal D. It's the intl terminal. When checking-in I could see why. The lines at the ticket counters were going around the block. Look like some flights from Mexico diverted to DFW. The gate area inside the terminal was worst. Lines at every gate with ppl trying to talk to agents. They completely blocked the boarding area. It was hard to board my flight to ORD. I counted 14 UA planes over by UA gates. E3 to E8 all had planes and there were over half a dozen parked on the ramp. I have never seen UA gates so busy at DFW. I wonder how they are going to move that many ppl out of DFW. UA has hundreds of diverted passengers there.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

Scarebus34

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 pm

portcolumbus wrote:
IAH is closed to arrivals until 1830Z Friday.

Not necessarily. That’s what the current NOTAM shows but it’s likely to open prior to that.

Sooner787

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 pm

I've already booked a few one way car rentals from DFW to HOU since lunch,
now I know why :)

airportplan

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm

IAH does have some limited departures today. I am currently on UA 1631 (IAH-ORD) which was scheduled to depart at 7:50. We actually departed at 14:11. The LAS flight on the adjacent gate also departed around the same time.

Someone mentioned renting a car and driving from Dallas to Houston. That’s not going to happen. I-10 and I-45 are close in Houston because of flooding. I -10 is 20 feet under water in some places.

portcolumbus

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:46 pm

airportplan wrote:
IAH does have some limited departures today. I am currently on UA 1631 (IAH-ORD) which was scheduled to depart at 7:50. We actually departed at 14:11. The LAS flight on the adjacent gate also departed around the same time.

Someone mentioned renting a car and driving from Dallas to Houston. That’s not going to happen. I-10 and I-45 are close in Houston because of flooding. I -10 is 20 feet under water in some places.

You can get to Houston from Dallas right now via 45. Once you get into town there's a lot of localized flooding though. The really bad I-10 flooding is east of the city towards Port Arthur/Beaumont where they got upwards of 30" of rain last night.

alggag

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Departures have been slowly trickling out all day. I really can't see IAH actually staying closed to arrivals until tomorrow afternoon once the rain stops/slows enough to allow the surface roads to become passable.

Sooner787

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 pm

airportplan wrote:

As someone who has relatives in H-town, never tell a Houstonian they can't get thru
cause of flood waters. They take that as a challenge LOL

alggag

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
airportplan wrote:

As someone who has relatives in H-town, never tell a Houstonian they can't get thru
cause of flood waters. They take that as a challenge LOL

They're all eager to show off those jacked up trucks that look ridiculous every other day of the year. :rotfl:

FlyingElvii

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Both airports have ground stops and roads around both airports are flooding and impassible. Harris County OEM and surrounding counties have issued a civil emergency message requesting people shelter in place.

Any locals know how the runways are holding up? I think both are still trying to do departures but can't imagine that is easy.

Been dealing with this all day...
You KNEW the second shift was not going to make it in, UA could have at least pretended to plan for it.

Antarius

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 pm

The rain has stopped completely and the doppler is clear. Not sure why IAH is still showing as closed and flights going into tomorrow are canceled.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

wxtech

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 pm

Antarius wrote:
The rain has stopped completely and the doppler is clear. Not sure why IAH is still showing as closed and flights going into tomorrow are canceled.

Flooding was very bad around IAH entry/exit. I think they want the employees to stay home and off the roads.

Scarebus34

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 am

New opening time for arrivals of 0900Z - departures have never been stopped.

dc10co

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

You KNEW the second shift was not going to make it in, UA could have at least pretended to plan for it.

Oh no UA’s plan is run it until it can’t run anymore. They’ve proven this time and time again. It was the same way for Harvey, they ran the operation as far as they could and then forced multiple diversions to cancel at out stations.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

jetmatt777

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 am

dc10co wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

Oh no UA’s plan is run it until it can’t run anymore. They’ve proven this time and time again. It was the same way for Harvey, they ran the operation as far as they could and then forced multiple diversions to cancel at out stations.

That is their plan at DEN too when it comes to winter storms. WN and F9 will cancel the entire operation and UA will run a full schedule until the operation completely melts down.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

us330

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Why is it that IAH tends to shut down for longer periods of time than HOU during times of heavy rain/weather? Is it primarily access road related (ie the airfield itself is fine, but the employees/staff/pax can't reach the airport)?

Sooner787

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 pm

us330 wrote:
Why is it that IAH tends to shut down for longer periods of time than HOU during times of heavy rain/weather? Is it primarily access road related (ie the airfield itself is fine, but the employees/staff/pax can't reach the airport)?

Yes...the roads around IAH can and do flood , like the rest of the city.

Noticed turning onto the main east entrance road off I-69 once and seeing
the big flood guage signs on the overpass columns

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 pm

us330 wrote:

It really just depends on where one of these storms sets up and dumps rain. Remember IAH and Hobby are about 35 miles apart. Yesterday the storms started in the north and moved south through the day. So IAH got hit earlier.
Roads seem to have drained this morning. I expect employees will make it in today.

LAXdude1023

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 pm

What is the condition of the roads there now? I’m flying back to IAH this afternoon.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Sooner787

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Other than I-10 being closed over the San Jacinto river due to a barge collision,
rest of the roads appear okay

Texas77

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:40 pm

This is just life in Houston. It rains, hard, and some places build up some water. Other places are fine. Slowed me down to 60mph a couple times on my way to and from the office, that was it, and I live on the north side. JFK blvd into the airport was flooded for a couple hours, then cleared up. I had 2 colleagues get to the airport yesterday afternoon just fine.

alggag

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Just got in a few hours ago. IAH appeared to be running fine and no problem at all getting home near downtown.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos