TWA302
Topic Author

2019 US Airline Water Study by CUNY's Hunter College NYC Food Policy Center

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Found this article interesting. It details the water quality rankings for US majors and regional airlines.

Results recap in the article:
Airline Water Health Scores At-a-Glance (5 = highest rating, 0 = lowest):

Major Airlines

Alaska Airlines: 3.3, Allegiant Air: 3.3, Hawaiian Airlines: 3.1, Frontier Airlines: 2.6, Southwest Airlines: 2.4, Delta Air Lines: 1.6, American Airlines: 1.5, United Airlines: 1.2, JetBlue: 1, Spirit Airlines: 1

Regional Airlines

Piedmont Airlines: 4.33, Sun Country Airlines: 2.78, Envoy Air: 2.11, GoJet Airlines: 2, Trans States Airlines: 1.78, Compass Airlines 1.22, PSA Airlines: 1.22, SkyWest Airlines 1.11, Endeavor Air: 0.78, Air Wisconsin Airlines: 0.68, ExpressJet Airlines: 0.56, Republic Airways: 0.44

Full report and article is here: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/tcuo-2aw082919.php

I wonder if there will be a study on the sanitary quality of tray tables next? :stirthepot:

alasizon

Re: 2019 US Airline Water Study by CUNY's Hunter College NYC Food Policy Center

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Mesa is also at 1.22 but not included in the summary but is further down in the breakdown by carrier.

They only list Envoy as having 63 aircraft but as we all know it is far higher.

I'm not sure how they arrived at some of their ratings though.
They put DL at a 1.6 and AA at a 1.5 but DL had almost twice the overall number of violations, does DL get brownie points because they wrote a blog post? UA also had the lowest rate and lowest number of violations (of the US3) but yet scored the lowest?
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

B757Forever

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:47 am

I'm not sure how relevant this is. All the water I've been served on the airlines I've flown has been bottled.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

alasizon

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:14 am

B757Forever wrote:
I'm not sure how relevant this is. All the water I've been served on the airlines I've flown has been bottled.

Coffee and Tea are not made with bottled water.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

stl07

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:16 am

That explains a lot regarding the AA water. Can't believe I'm getting better with F9
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

MIflyer12

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am

People who want to criticize ought to get into the details of the survey more deeply. I'm not convinced, for example, that fleet size and willingness to answer their questions are relevant to water quality. And yet those measures are in the scoring. But no, I don't want to consume E. Coli.

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm

alasizon wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

When I got involved in an STC dealing with the installation of a coffee maker on an aircraft it was at that time I realized how glad I was that I am not a coffee drinker.

nws2002

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Not sure how fair some of this is. Allegiant for instance only boards potable water at bases in most cases, not outstations. That means there are managing far fewer stations water sources and training employees to not service a lav and then use the same gloves to service the potable water.

TWA302
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:47 pm

B757Forever wrote:

Nor is the water in the lavs to wash your hands with. Just an interesting report that I have not seen before and some food for thought the next time you think about partaking in a hot libation onboard certain airlines in the US.

max999

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:48 pm

alasizon wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

I think airlines should change to using bottled water to make coffee and tea. I've never had good coffee or tea on any flight.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

ltbewr

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:06 pm

max999 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

I think airlines should change to using bottled water to make coffee and tea. I've never had good coffee or tea on any flight.

First of all, no airline will use bottled water for coffee/tea as would cost a few pennies more per cup and cut into profits. They would have to use gallon jugs of it for most flights.
Second, the temperature of the water in making coffee/tea inside an aircraft pressurized to 5000 ft means a lower boiling temperature but not able to kill all germs. Then there is the likely lack of cleaning of pots in flight so it is no wonder coffee/tea on flights tastes like dirty pond swill.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Goodie ... will clean potable water become one of the metrics used to judge an airline by agencies like Skytrax, JD Power, or the University of big head watch-a-ma call it ratings? This should get interesting!

So what was the worst performing mainline operator in the US? Seems all the regionals are pretty equally bad .
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Next question,

are some ULCCs happy with their bad ratings, in order to push highly marked up bottled water sales and other non coffee items?

Allegiant seems to have faired well in this water analysis. One must give credit when credit is due.

kipfilet

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:18 pm

I am definitely not ordering coffee or tea again.
Read somewhere that this may also make you rethink washing your hand next time you use the lavatories. Probably better to use sanitizer than spreading E. Coli all over the cabin.

max999

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm

ltbewr wrote:
max999 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

First of all, no airline will use bottled water for coffee/tea as would cost a few pennies more per cup and cut into profits. They would have to use gallon jugs of it for most flights.
Second, the temperature of the water in making coffee/tea inside an aircraft pressurized to 5000 ft means a lower boiling temperature but not able to kill all germs. Then there is the likely lack of cleaning of pots in flight so it is no wonder coffee/tea on flights tastes like dirty pond swill.

Considering the large amount of water bottles already used on each flight, any incremental cost increase for coffee and tea would be minimal. And gallon jugs sound like a good idea. It would be a much more efficient container than individual liter water bottles.

To the second point, that's exactly why bottled water should be used for coffee and tea. The water would be clean, sanitary, and better tasting
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Hand Sanitizers ineffective I some instances

https://www.consumerreports.org/flu/han ... rotection/

Ok here are my category ratings for worst!

Regional Carrier - Republic Airlines
ULC(Carrier) - Spirit Airlines
Network Carrier - JetBlue Airways
Mainline Carrier - United Airlines

——

Now because I like to speak the truth .... I am just going to say so long in advance airliners for my couple of week moderator banning again I am probably going to get from airliners.net since I am pointing out some cultural truths.

If airline potable water quality is so horrendous in first world countries such as the US...

Can you just imagine what you are getting in some 2nd, 3rd, or 4th world countries in which sanitary standards are NOT so advanced as in the developed US among the public who work with their systems servicing the airplanes potable water.

I would love to read up on the H20 quality of the ME3 for example and some Latin American, Asian, and African countries.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Why cant the airlines install those in-tank UV light systems? The price per unit seems rather reasonable.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

TheOldDude

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
People who want to criticize ought to get into the details of the survey more deeply. I'm not convinced, for example, that fleet size and willingness to answer their questions are relevant to water quality. And yet those measures are in the scoring. But no, I don't want to consume E. Coli.

This. The scoring is "...based on 10 criteria, including fleet size, ADWR violations, positive E. coli and coliform water sample reports and cooperation in providing answers to water-quality questions." Fleet size is useful only to put sample results on a per-aircraft basis. However, since some aircraft are larger than others, passengers at risk is a more useful measure. ADWR violations are useful, as a positive E. Coli. and coliform measures. Cooperation is not a relevant measure.

Thankfully, detail is provided. When you remove the score for cooperation, United looks much better:

Delta
Avg # of ADWR Violations per Aircraft: 0.23
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For E. Coli (2012-2019): 15
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For Coliform (2012-2019): 359

American
Avg # of ADWR Violations per Aircraft: 0.11
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For E. Coli (2012-2019): 23
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For Coliform (2012-2019): 660

United
Avg # of ADWR Violations per Aircraft: 0.10
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For E. Coli (2012-2019): 3
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For Coliform (2012-2019): 205

Southwest
Avg # of ADWR Violations per Aircraft: 0.04
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For E. Coli (2012-2019): 2
Total Water Samples Testing Positive For Coliform (2012-2019): 122

KlimaBXsst

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Interesting how this topic is receiving so muc press attention and so little airliners.net attention.

Does anyone else find it odd? Or do we wish to keep this a dirty little secret?

Junction

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:01 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Interesting how this topic is receiving so muc press attention and so little airliners.net attention.

Does anyone else find it odd? Or do we wish to keep this a dirty little secret?

It's interesting trivia, but it's not like there is suddenly any kind of newsworthy epidemic due to bad water on planes, so who really cares? Probably been just like this for years and years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos