Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RobertS975

Re: Rumor: DL announcing new BOS routes next week.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:36 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Delta PDX-BOS will eliminate JetBlue's pathetic commitment to the route.

Years ago, when PDX was a DL trans-Pacific hub back in MD-11 days, there were 2 daily nonstops to PDX from BOS, both 757s.

RobertS975

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 pm

"International routes" always conjures up exciting visions of TLC, FRA or FCO, but it could also be YOW or AUA. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, it would seem to me to be unlikely that Ed would announce material information to a large group of employees without making a public press release. This goes to SEC rules. The employees are stockholders if I remember correctly, and it would be improper to give material information to some stockholders and not tohers.
Last edited by RobertS975 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisNH38

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:43 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
If the rumor is true then I think DL will definitely be announcing some new routes. I don't see why Bastian would come all the way to BOS just to announce that DL has 5 more gates now.

When's the last time DL sent its CEO to a market to announce new service? It wasn't last month when DL announced new LGW and MAN service, and expanded LHR service, from BOS. Heck, it wasn't even several years ago when it announced the opening of the SEA transpacifc hub! And yet we believe Ed Bastian is headed to BOS to announce BTV, SBN or IND?

Next week, BOS will undergo a significant expansion for DL, with several new markets (including prime business markets ORD, DCA and EWR) and several new added frequencies. Additionally, several employees have reported that the airline will formally introduce its expanded facilities. If Bastian is indeed coming to BOS, I doubt this is a coincidence.

Let's also point out that when CEOs make these types of appearances -- regardless of whether it's to introduce new service or tout the expanded BOS operation -- they're generally media events. As of today, I see no evidence to support that DL has issued an invite to the media or any blogger.

Very well reasoned. I remember when Terminal A was conceived, and DL had major aspirations for it. This was pre-2001, I believe, and the kerfuffle over customs and immigration caused some angst; DL wanted it but Massport didn’t. In any event, we are now seeing...almost two decades later...the realization of what DL wanted to do all along at Logan. Perhaps seeing relative BOS apathy from UA and AA gave them the impetus to grow to what they’re in the midst of now.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
"International routes" always conjures up exciting visions of TLC, FRA or FCO, but it could also be YOW or AUA. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, it would seem to me to be unlikely that Ed would announce material information to a large group of employees without making a public press release. This goes to SEC rules. The employees are stockholders if I remember correctly, and it would be improper to give material information to some stockholders and not tohers.

IMHO you're interpreting Regulation FD rather too tightly. Companies discuss vision and strategy with employees all the time at all levels.

The regulation will apply only to an issuer's communications with market professionals, and holders of the issuer's securities under circumstances in which it is reasonably foreseeable that the security holders will trade on the basis of the information.

Non-specific, non-material info doesn't create a disclosure requirement.

We've got some exciting things in store for BOS! - no requirement

Next week we're going to announce an order of $10 Billion worth of widebodies financed exclusively by debt - disclosure required

clrd4t8koff

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:20 pm

VS4ever wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:
its about time this thread came back down to ground level. Not sure the obsession with DL being everywhere all the time. BOS is extremely gate constrained. The new terminal is for the hometown airline, B6. DL does very well with what they have and will add some more INTL and some more Domestic, but the cities mentioned in this fantasy thread were for the most part ridiculous.

and btw B6 does service DTW nonstop from BOS 3 times daily and has for the better part of a decade.

Huh? The only new terminal at BOS is the new international terminal. It’s not FOR B6.

B6 started BOS-DTW in March of 2014 only 5.5 years ago. How is that the better part of a decade?

You know fine well, when you get over 5 you round up to 10. Lol

And even further. E isn’t new it’s just being revamped completely

Not sure if you’re being facetious but 5.5 years does not make a better part of a decade. At best 5.5 would round to 6 which is still closer to 5 than it is to 10.

jumbojet

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:46 pm

cokepopper wrote:
It will be funny to read this thread after Ed makes his announcement of two new international routes from BOS while in BOS. (11 transatlantic flights a day S2020)

OK, then why wouldn't the announcement have been made the same time as the previous BOS international expansion and why does EB need to be in Boston this time? Something doesnt add up. Unless of course, its something bigger like finding a way to expand its BOS footprint. A reason like that makes more sense for EB to be in Boston with the mayor et al.

ChrisNH38

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Capital & infrastructure plans will draw a CEO out to a station; announcement of two new routes (by itself) won’t.

Ishrion

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:14 pm

jumbojet wrote:
cokepopper wrote:
It will be funny to read this thread after Ed makes his announcement of two new international routes from BOS while in BOS. (11 transatlantic flights a day S2020)

OK, then why wouldn't the announcement have been made the same time as the previous BOS international expansion and why does EB need to be in Boston this time? Something doesnt add up. Unless of course, its something bigger like finding a way to expand its BOS footprint. A reason like that makes more sense for EB to be in Boston with the mayor et al.

...Airlines can announce expansions in waves. Just because they didn’t announce a certain route last time does not mean they won’t in the near future. It happens all the time.

Why didn’t Lufthansa announce its Ottawa service with the the big wave of Eurowings/LH routes earlier?

There’s many other examples. It’s possible the airlines have not finalized the routes yet, so they need to wait a bit until announcing them.

jumbojet

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Capital & infrastructure plans will draw a CEO out to a station; announcement of two new routes (by itself) won’t.

exactly.

Do we know for sure Bastian will be AT Boston International Airport next week or is that also a rumor?

VS4ever

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:17 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Huh? The only new terminal at BOS is the new international terminal. It’s not FOR B6.

B6 started BOS-DTW in March of 2014 only 5.5 years ago. How is that the better part of a decade?

You know fine well, when you get over 5 you round up to 10. Lol

And even further. E isn’t new it’s just being revamped completely

Not sure if you’re being facetious but 5.5 years does not make a better part of a decade. At best 5.5 would round to 6 which is still closer to 5 than it is to 10.

Most definitely was and not pointed at you.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

by738

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 pm

What about a seasonal GLA? JFK has done ok (even with EDI JFK), so BOS could be the same. Always has strong links.

HVNandrew

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 pm

I do wonder what the longer term plans are for DL in terms of facilities at BOS (especially if more expansion is in fact announced). Terminal A is gorgeous and is a great facility, but given how much DL has been growing BOS it may max out for them relatively quickly. I wonder if at some point all of DL's international flights will be transitioned to depart out of Terminal E, with a bus linking A to E to facilitate connections. That would allow for all of A to be fully utilized (i.e. no gates blocked by widebodies during the evening transatlantic push) and streamline operations (no more towing from E to A).

NWBOS

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
I do wonder what the longer term plans are for DL in terms of facilities at BOS (especially if more expansion is in fact announced). Terminal A is gorgeous and is a great facility, but given how much DL has been growing BOS it may max out for them relatively quickly. I wonder if at some point all of DL's international flights will be transitioned to depart out of Terminal E, with a bus linking A to E to facilitate connections. That would allow for all of A to be fully utilized (i.e. no gates blocked by widebodies during the evening transatlantic push) and streamline operations (no more towing from E to A).

That makes sense. However, having a multi-terminal operation would also mean minimum connection times would need to be increased. I don’t know what percentage of feed they are hoping for, but that can come into play because longer travel durations mean those results show up lower in online booking searches. However it is already the case on the arrival end, so I could totally see this arrangement happening.

adamh8297

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:26 pm

by738 wrote:
What about a seasonal GLA? JFK has done ok (even with EDI JFK), so BOS could be the same. Always has strong links.

NYC is usually 3-5 times larger than BOS for most Transatlantic markets so you may have to choose one or the other for Scotland.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

by738

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:28 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
NYC is usually 3-5 times larger than BOS for most Transatlantic markets so you may have to choose one or the other for Scotland.

Agree on market, but has, and is supporting both BOS and JFK from Scotland albeit summer only.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:42 pm

cokepopper wrote:

As a current or former DL employee, can you confirm the OP’s claim that DL internally posted the routes?

Boston757

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Maybe LHR or somewhere in the UK!

garybow

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 pm

[ And yet we believe Ed Bastian is headed to BOS to announce BTV, SBN or IND?

DL already operates BOS-IND multiple times a day

Ishrion

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Boston757 wrote:
Maybe LHR or somewhere in the UK!

Delta already flies to London Heathrow from Boston and will be adding London Gatwick in May. Additionally, they will add Manchester in the U.K.

GSP psgr

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Any thought as to whether Boston-Belfast with a 752 (probably a domestically configured one) could work, at least summer seasonally? UA ran EWR-BFS for many years until it was cancelled in 2016.

cessna2
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 pm

jumbojet wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

exactly.

Do we know for sure Bastian will be AT Boston International Airport next week or is that also a rumor?

That I do not know. All I’ve heard is two new international routes from BOS will be announced next week. I have not been told or have heard that Ed will be in BOS for said announcement.

Dieuwer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm

If any NEW international routes are announced, my money is on BOS-Spain (e.g. MAD/BCN).

adamh8297

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
If any NEW international routes are announced, my money is on BOS-Spain (e.g. MAD/BCN).

The top 10 O+D's for 2018 for BOS-Western Europe were:

LON/PAR/DUB/KEF/FCO/AMS/BCN/LIS/FRA/MAN

Assuming Delta will codeshare on the route with AZ for 2020, that leaves KEF/BCN/FRA for top 10 O+D's not served.

DL did add EDI which wasn't even the top 25. 11-15 are MUC/SNN/MAD/ATH/ZRH.

If the rumors are true, I think it will be MAD and ATH both seasonal. SNN (domestic 757) as the dark horse. Though "Skyteam is a failure", I think they would want to maximize a hub-hub route and feed UX.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

RobertS975

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 pm

HVNandrew wrote:

Well, unlikely because E is already pretty packed during the hours that would make sense, and that would make connections more difficult in both directions rather than just international to domestic. I could speculate that Ed will announce CBP capability coming to A sometime in the near future, but wouldn't that already be public as it would have had to be approved by MassPort and the CBP authorities.

RobertS975

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Assuming Delta will codeshare on the route with AZ for 2020, that leaves KEF/BCN/FRA for top 10 O+D's not served.

If the rumors are true, I think it will be MAD and ATH both seasonal. SNN (domestic 757) as the dark horse. Though "Skyteam is a failure", I think they would want to maximize a hub-hub route and feed UX.

What makes you think they would want to feed UX... because of all of the current codeshares with UX in MAD and BCN from JFK/ATL?

adamh8297

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

What makes you think they would want to feed UX... because of all of the current codeshares with UX in MAD and BCN from JFK/ATL?

Well you can buy a JFK-MAD-IBZ and the like itinerary on UX metal with DL code.

DL will not fail or succeed by the UX feed since it has the strong O+D backbone in BOS and feed from the "hub."

DLHAM

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:48 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

And which are the TOP 10 unserved O&Ds in Europe?
My Instagram Account: Instagram

OlympicATH

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 am

DLHAM wrote:

Out of the top 15 listed above, the only one not currently served from BOS is ATH. By the way, BOS also happens to be ATH’s top unserved North American route.
ATH officials were quoted a few weeks ago saying there would be big long-haul developments in 2020 and nothing has been announced so far.
My money is on ATH + MAD or BCN.

jumbojet

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:55 am

OK, lets think for a moment folks. We don't even know if Ed Bastian will actually be in Boston for an announcement of sorts, but if he is in Boston, we know it won't be to announce new or expanded international service, so that leaves one of two things. DL, along with the port, found a way to increase gates and thus DL's BOS footprint or, and never say never, Bastian will be in BOS to announce the intention of Delta to acquire JetBlue!

Dieuwer

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 am

Another possibility is that Ed Bastian is coming to Boston to announce - with the Governor of MA - that Terminal A will get a real customs facility. So no more arriving at E and slepping to A, plane included.

airportugal310

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Another possibility is that Ed Bastian is coming to Boston to announce - with the Governor of MA - that Terminal A will get a real customs facility. So no more arriving at E and slepping to A, plane included.

I’d believe this one...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Lootess

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Yeah the Massport issue is certainly a good one to finally rectify.

Amazing we have come from A being built just for DL, then Chapter 11 occurs cutting down BOS plans, to being shared, to now being solo again.

ScottB

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 am

Dieuwer wrote:
So no more arriving at E and slepping to A, plane included.

The tow from E to A for the aircraft is probably a small operational net benefit -- otherwise they've got a widebody blocking a gate or two at A for most of the afternoon.

adamh8297

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:36 am

OlympicATH wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

Out of the top 15 listed above, the only one not currently served from BOS is ATH. By the way, BOS also happens to be ATH’s top unserved North American route.
ATH officials were quoted a few weeks ago saying there would be big long-haul developments in 2020 and nothing has been announced so far.
My money is on ATH + MAD or BCN.

After ATH, the remaining top 9 completely unserved Western Europe to BOS routes are MIL/VCE/BER/ARN/GVA/BRU/FLR/VIE. The Swiss airport report I got the numbers from only lists Top 25 O+D in 2018 and only 9 are unserved.

See page 1: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/859c15_f ... 564d1b.pdf

My guess the 10th would be one of the following: DUS OSL EDI (unserved in 2018) or GLA.

B752OS

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:39 am

Dieuwer wrote:

That would be a large expansion project. Given all of the other projects happening at Logan over the next 3-4 years (terminal B to C connector, the roadway upgrades, terminal C canopy and curbside expansion, terminal E expansion, terminal E garage), I really can't see Massport taking on another project. There probably won't be any other substantial projects starting before 2023.

ChrisNH38

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 am

Even if unlikely, DL having its own international clearance is the kind of one-upsmanship B6 can’t match.

Packson

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am

To the home of catholics

727LOVER

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:39 am

Daily BOS-SRQ during winter is on my wish list
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

WidebodyPTV

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 am

Although I expressed skepticism earlier, credible sources (re: DL employees) are collaborating elsewhere that, on October 5th, DL will announce an expansion at BOS that will include two transatlantic flights.

cokepopper wrote:

Rather than making a snarky comment, you certainly had the ability to point us in the right direction. The OP made a claim without providing any source, which is a problem given his shaky credibility (while it's clear somebody is feeding him, he has gotten some or all of his rumors wrong). We SHOULD be skeptical of any claims being made without a credible source, or posted by somebody without solid credibility. So while this thread may be "funny to read" by you knowing that he'll be proven right, what about the multiple threads in which he claimed Ed told employees that a 787 order was "imminent," given the "problems" with the 359? That rumor was so persistent, DL took the rare step (going against its policy of addressing rumors) and debunked it internally.

cessna2
Topic Author

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:42 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Although I expressed skepticism earlier, credible sources (re: DL employees) are collaborating elsewhere that, on October 5th, DL will announce an expansion at BOS that will include two transatlantic flights.

cokepopper wrote:

Rather than making a snarky comment, you certainly had the ability to point us in the right direction. The OP made a claim without providing any source, which is a problem given his shaky credibility (while it's clear somebody is feeding him, he has gotten some or all of his rumors wrong). We SHOULD be skeptical of any claims being made without a credible source, or posted by somebody without solid credibility. So while this thread may be "funny to read" by you knowing that he'll be proven right, what about the multiple threads in which he claimed Ed told employees that a 787 order was "imminent," given the "problems" with the 359? That rumor was so persistent, DL took the rare step (going against its policy of addressing rumors) and debunked it internally.

DL never addressed that rumor. In fact Ed has said he can see the 787-10 in their fleet at some time. The rumor I heard was DL was looking at the 797 and 787 with the need of at least 20 frames. This was before the 737 MAX crisis. I believe my intel was correct and that an order was imminent. But that has changed since Boeing has its hands tied right now. Which is why you are seeing an acceleration of A339's being delivered over the next two years, without an acceleration of 767's being retired.

Bluewho

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm

I think talk of a new terminal or anything like that is crazy. This should be the CEO coming up to Boston to celebrate the terminal becoming all Delta probably announcing a new route or two talking about all the new routes added and how Delta is now Boston’s global airline of choice and get in some jabs at Jetblue while saying “they are very profitable” in Boston and will keep growing it, and a few more jabs at JetBlue.

He is the CEO this is exactly his job he isn’t running day to day operations nor should he or any CEO be. Just getting back the entire terminal is kind of a big deal on its own.

mikegigs

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 pm

If Ed is coming to Boston, do we have a date that we expect any announcement to happen? As of now all we know is "next week" (which I guess is now this week).

Will this be the same as the BA TATL announcement thread where we all kicked around till Thursday night and a moderator with some sense decided it was just a fluke? Not to be cynical, but if this really was happening, I'd expect some sort of announcement of an event by either DL of Governor Baker's office. After a quick search I found nothing.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

PVD757

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I see no new DL S20 routes loaded for sale. OAG thread will confirm any changes but I found nothing new to anywhere remotely sensible.

Ishrion

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:48 pm

PVD757 wrote:
I see no new DL S20 routes loaded for sale. OAG thread will confirm any changes but I found nothing new to anywhere remotely sensible.

You know Delta hasn't announced any routes yet? "Next week" isn't close to over yet.

EvanWSFO

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

You know Delta hasn't announced any routes yet? "Next week" isn't close to over yet.

The closest they have come to announcing anything about BOS for next summer that I've seen not widely reported is they are upgauging two of four BOS-BNA flights to the 220. But, that's not really a "big" announcement.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

DL747400

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:04 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
The closest they have come to announcing anything about BOS for next summer that I've seen not widely reported is they are upgauging two of four BOS-BNA flights to the 220. But, that's not really a "big" announcement.

That isn't the type or scope of announcement being referenced in this thread.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

PVD757

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

You know others speculated in this thread that they might be loaded this weekend, right?

You know I was just providing a factual update, right?

Posters like you make participation in this forum “such a joy.”

alfa164

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:55 pm

It seems enilria hasn't had time to do his weekly OAG updates yet... maybe he is overwhelmed by all the DL adds at BOS...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

jumbojet

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:24 pm

its still not even known if Bastian is going to be in Boston this week.

airbazar

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:32 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Even if unlikely, DL having its own international clearance is the kind of one-upsmanship B6 can’t match.

Humm, B6 already has direct access to the international terminal. Not only has Massport built them a post security connection but their own gates C5,6,7 are actually gates E1,2,3. And when the new expansion opens, guess who's more likely to get first dibs on gates E4 and E5 along with its intl partners?

And the idea that there will/may be a CBP facility at terminal A is just ludicrous. The terminal just doesn't have the space to build such a facility which in itself would be a massive project, but CBP requires buy in (and staffing) from the Federal government which would pose a completely different type of hurdle. But here's the real reason why terminal A is never getting a CBP facility: Massport isn't about to invest millions in a new International terminal only to see its largest occupant move out. The expansion of terminal E at BOS should have ended any reminaing hope to ever see a CBP facility anywhere else at the airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos