PlaneMad134
Topic Author

World routes 2020- route development thread

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:14 pm

So with world routes 2020 starting tommorow, it will be interesting to see what happens in terms of new routes.

Ishrion

Re: World routes 2020- route development thread

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:18 pm

What routes were announced in the previous World Routes event?

enilria

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 pm

PlaneMad134 wrote:
So with world routes 2020 starting tommorow, it will be interesting to see what happens in terms of new routes.

Often the announcements only involve the host. ADL is the host.

SeaEagle8

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 pm

Aren’t we jumping ahead here.
It’s World Routes 2019 that starts in Adelaide today.
NSW based avgeek

Ishrion

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 pm

enilria wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

Can’t wait for AA/QF to announce ADL-LAX :spin:

patrickjp93

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Ishrion wrote:
enilria wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

Probably ADL-HNL first honestly. LAX is too damn expensive to land at for little old Adelaide. Maybe Seattle or Denver?

Qantas16

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:34 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
enilria wrote:

Probably ADL-HNL first honestly. LAX is too damn expensive to land at for little old Adelaide. Maybe Seattle or Denver?

I'm gonna presume this is a joke. ADL-SEA/DEN would never happen, certainly not before ADL-LAX. ADL-HNL is also very very unlikely... as is ADL-LAX for that matter!

smi0006

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 am

Qantas16 wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I'm gonna presume this is a joke. ADL-SEA/DEN would never happen, certainly not before ADL-LAX. ADL-HNL is also very very unlikely... as is ADL-LAX for that matter!

I don’t think we’ll see anything further out of ADL until QF/JQ receive some 321LRs.

Do major carriers announce big announcements at these events? Be nice to hear of MEL-LAX or AKL-DFW on AA. Be nice to hear of TK eventually starting MEL/SYD.

Unusually city to host such event, not overly globally connected in itself.

TWA772LR

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:47 am

Ishrion wrote:
enilria wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

We all know it will be ADL-DTW!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Ruddman

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:56 am

Ishrion wrote:
enilria wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:

Why? That would be downright horrible. What is it with these ultra long range flights and everyone thinking they’re great? They suck!
SYD/MEL - LAX is horrible enough. Now that you often end up in a little 787. - Boeing’s worst effort.
I usually go via AKL then to LAX. And even that is horrible enough. ok, only an hour or so less but makes a difference as does the stop.

Bring back the island hopping routes. MEL/SYD - AKL - NAN - HNL - LAX.

Stretch legs, have real food. Breathe real air. Drink real water. More stops - fresher. 14-18 hours in stale air and stinky people and toilets?

Yeah no thanks.

Ishrion

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:34 am

Ruddman wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
enilria wrote:

Why? That would be downright horrible. What is it with these ultra long range flights and everyone thinking they’re great? They suck!
SYD/MEL - LAX is horrible enough. Now that you often end up in a little 787. - Boeing’s worst effort.
I usually go via AKL then to LAX. And even that is horrible enough. ok, only an hour or so less but makes a difference as does the stop.

Stretch legs, have real food. Breathe real air. Drink real water. More stops - fresher. 14-18 hours in stale air and stinky people and toilets?

Yeah no thanks.

If it wasn't obvious, my comment was a joke, hence the :spin:

I truthfully don't see ADL-LAX materializing... yet. Adelaide's the... fifth largest city in Australia? If AA/QF ever gets to it given their new JV, I could see it happening over PER-LAX due to range.

What is it with these ultra long range flights and everyone thinking they’re great? They suck!

I'm sure you've heard of Project Sunrise, correct? The 20+ hour SYD-LHR/JFK flight that is being worked on?

I'm sorry to say, but you're going to need to embrace the fact that newer aircraft with longer range are being developed. So be ready to get stuck in a 3-3-3 Economy Class in a 787, or a 3-3 in an A321XLR across the Atlantic.

There's an obvious reason why island hopping services like the ones you've mentioned no longer exist.

Ruddman

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:57 am

Obvious? Money and big bonuses for upper management? Just the usual.

Of course, the island hopping is alive and well, just with seperate tickets. A layover in Fiji and Honolulu never hurt anyone. :)

Ishrion

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:38 am

Ishrion wrote:

Oh, look at that.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... n-target-/

“We can easily justify three to four weekly flights to the US. Los Angeles and San Francisco are key targets for us,”

Who didn't see that coming. :scratchchin:

PlaneMad134
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Just a few hours until the start of world routes 2019.

IndianicWorld

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Oh, look at that.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... n-target-/

“We can easily justify three to four weekly flights to the US. Los Angeles and San Francisco are key targets for us,”

Who didn't see that coming. :scratchchin:

Sometimes I really question the data that is used to try and sell a dream to airlines to fly certain routes. An unstimulated market of 165,000 pax per year for ADL-North America still seems quite high, and that’s before discussing the potential yields.

Given the amount of services from SYD/MEL/BNE, which are all significantly larger markets in their own right, there is likely to be a less than strong appetite for carriers to open up such a long, thin route like this one that overflies those hubs.

Ishrion

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... top-route/

An agreement designed to bring a non-stop route between the Australian city of Darwin and Haikou, the capital of China's island province Hainan, has been signed during a special event at World Routes.

BlatantEcho

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:19 am

Ruddman wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yeah no thanks.

Do you still take a horse to work too?

Ishrion

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:41 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
Ruddman wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yeah no thanks.

Do you still take a horse to work too?

Misquoted, lol.

Ruddman wrote:
Obvious? Money and big bonuses for upper management? Just the usual.

Of course, the island hopping is alive and well, just with seperate tickets. A layover in Fiji and Honolulu never hurt anyone. :)

I wouldn't say money specifically for the upper management is the primary goal.

The obvious reason is there's no need for fuel stops like island hoppers when you can fly point to point in one flight. This saves any unnecessary parking/landing/takeoff/ground crew costs.

Moosefire

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Forgive me for being Naive, but I’ve been in this business a good while and have no idea what World Routes is. Context?

Does anything happen at these forums or is it just cities hyping themselves for future service?
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

IndianicWorld

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Moosefire wrote:
Forgive me for being Naive, but I’ve been in this business a good while and have no idea what World Routes is. Context?

Does anything happen at these forums or is it just cities hyping themselves for future service?

Just a chance to sell their dream to airlines really.

Announcements may be made at times, but in many cases any discussions will just be the start of a further process of engagement.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos