Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vadodara

Re: Rumor: AI to announce IAH-DEL soon

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:37 pm

CALMSP wrote:
Seems this is more of a publicity event to share the $2.5B LNG deal between two companies. (But hoping the flight announcement comes!)

Well somewhere between why there should be a flight to DFW or some S Indian city, what seems to have been lost that Houston has a fairly robust economy that spans multiple disciplines and potentially good market to pursue.

Compared to likes of NY and LA, it is also underserved. Any service that offers competitive advantage in terms of timing and connectivity is likely to have an advantage.

edealinfo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Indian Americans in Texas look forward to a direct connection with native land

The link include some statistics that Lightsaber requested.

https://indicanews.com/2019/09/14/india ... tive-land/

“We need a non-stop flight from Houston to New Delhi,” said Dhairyawan. While United remains a great partner of the community, the optics of having Air India fly to Houston would be very big, he said. “And considering Texas as one of the markets, it has been pending for a very long time.”

Dhairyawan pointed to the way Modi announced a direct flight from San Francisco to New Delhi during his speech in Silicon Valley in 2015 and said chamber members hope the same happens at Houston, “but it would happen only when the green light comes from the top”.

Asked whether the issue has been discussed, he said, “This has been in the pipeline for many, many years and has been discussed by the tourism minister during a past visit."

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Running 3x weekly IAH-DEL and the same of DFW-DEL might be a good idea if they are set on serving Texas.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

edealinfo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:50 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Running 3x weekly IAH-DEL and the same of DFW-DEL might be a good idea if they are set on serving Texas.

this is an interesting concept and would be a political coup. Only The PM could pull it off. Let’s see.

vadodara

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

For starters it may be only 3x IAH-DEL. Houston is fairly convenient for Austin/San Antonio residents c.w. DALLAS. Houston also has a lot more international carriers than DALLAS.

Regarding DFW, neither of EK or QR have upgauged since EY pulled out. Even LH has overtime down gauged.

Only airlines that seem to be increasing DFW frequency are OneWorld carriers like JAL and BA besides AA.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:11 pm

vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

For starters it may be only 3x IAH-DEL. Houston is fairly convenient for Austin/San Antonio residents c.w. DALLAS. Houston also has a lot more international carriers than DALLAS.

Regarding DFW, neither of EK or QR have upgauged since EY pulled out. Even LH has overtime down gauged.

Only airlines that seem to be increasing DFW frequency are OneWorld carriers like JAL and BA besides AA.

Yet there’s more demand to India from DALLAS than here.

The smart thing to do would be not launching either but we’ll see.

atx11

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Seriously, Houston....? What about here in Boston, better educated, more affluent...HARVARD...Boston College....Again, HOUSTON....?

What an asinine statement. Some people never cease to amaze me.

Anyways...I’m interested to see if the route will happen, especially w/ the strong rumors of eventual Dfw service by AA sometime in the future.

flyingclrs727

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm

behramjee wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
behramjee wrote:
The block time and distance of this flight is longer than DEL-SFO so I don’t know how (if this turns out to be true) that AI is going to operate it with a full payload.

DEL-IAH is 17:15 block and 13,500km whilst DEL-SFO is 12,400km and 16:00 block and that flight is on the very edge of AI’s B77L capabilities.

DOH-AKL is further than DEL-IAH and Qatar Airways operates with a Boeing 777-200LR of 259 passengers and the B77L of AI are 235 passengers of course who can make the route

You seem to be forgetting QR's AKL has a 1 piece baggage policy whilst AI for USA has a 2 piece allowance.

QR to AKL 259 pax - 259 bags
AI to IAH 235 pax - 470 bags

The extra 211 bags at 23KG means an extra 4853kg (nearly 5 tons) to uplift which makes a big difference to the operational payload capabilities.

It is best that AI operates to IAH 3wk B788 via a Star* hub in EU that they already serve to generate additional feeder traffic / incremental revenue or via a EU city which they already serve that presently does not have a nonstop link to IAH.

UA would be livid if AI were allowed a 5th freedom flight through a Star Alliance hub. That's the reason SQ flies through MAN and previously DME.

dmstorm22

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Seriously, Houston....? What about here in Boston, better educated, more affluent...HARVARD...Boston College....Again, HOUSTON....?

Man what a strange post.

You do realize IAH is one of the largest population hubs in hte USA, with a sizable Indian population, and has a ton of affluent people as well.

But you're right, I forgot Harvard single-handidly fills dozens of seats daily...

edealinfo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Ignore the "Up, Up and Away" link in the above post by "kjeld0d" .....which is a link to pirated stuff
Last edited by edealinfo on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:57 pm

The PM's speech is over....no announcement of the IAH - DEL flight.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:59 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Man what a strange post.

You do realize IAH is one of the largest population hubs in hte USA, with a sizable Indian population, and has a ton of affluent people as well.

But you're right, I forgot Harvard single-handidly fills dozens of seats daily...

Independent of what you think of his post, Houston is not even in the top 10 most educated metro areas in the US. Boston is number 7, so he’s not wrong.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/the-10- ... tates.html

More educated people, higher paying jobs = better yields for AI. Not mention BOS is much shorter than a IAH flight would be. Higher yields, shorter flight = better opportunity for AI. But clearly based on all of AI’s adds they’re only chasing UA hubs.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:03 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Man what a strange post.

Independent of what you think of his post, Houston is not even in the top 10 most educated metro areas in the US. Boston is number 7, so he’s not wrong.

More educated people, higher paying jobs = better yields for AI. Not mention BOS is much shorter than a IAH flight would be. Higher yields, shorter flight = better opportunity for AI. But clearly based on all of AI’s adds they’re only chasing UA hubs.

The energy industry generates an extremely large amount of premium traffic, and even roughnecks with GEDs get to fly business.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

clrd4t8koff

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:06 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Man what a strange post.

The energy industry generates an extremely large amount of premium traffic, and even roughnecks with GEDs get to fly business.

Are you suggesting a roughneck with a GED holds a position at a company that pays Business class for them to fly? I’m not going to say that’s completely stupid, but it’s going to be VERY few roughnecks flying in premium cabins that it will have little positive impact for AI.

Even still, it doesn’t negate the fact Boston DOES have a more educated population base vs Houston.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:09 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Are you suggesting a roughneck with a GED holds a position at a company that pays Business class for them to fly? I’m not going to say that’s completely stupid, but it’s going to be VERY few roughnecks flying in premium cabins that it will have little positive impact for AI.

Even still, it doesn’t negate the fact Boston DOES have a more educated population base vs Houston.

I can tell you’ve never dealt with the oil and gas industry.

Yes roughnecks do often fly business. Texas also generates more traffic to India than New England does.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I never referenced anything about Air India in my post, nor did I say every employee of those firms flies C/J class; but regarding travel in the energy industry, as someone who was previously an exec in that field, I can tell you education level does not correlate to flight demand in the industry (same with contractor traffic for companies like Halliburton doing non-energy work worldwide).

That is a fun list (which looks at more than just university education by the way), will we see Ann Arbor to India flights soon? ;-)
Last edited by FlyingSicilian on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

lightsaber

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm

edealinfo wrote:

The link include some statistics that Lightsaber requested.

https://indicanews.com/2019/09/14/india ... tive-land/

“We need a non-stop flight from Houston to New Delhi,” said Dhairyawan. While United remains a great partner of the community, the optics of having Air India fly to Houston would be very big, he said. “And considering Texas as one of the markets, it has been pending for a very long time.”

Dhairyawan pointed to the way Modi announced a direct flight from San Francisco to New Delhi during his speech in Silicon Valley in 2015 and said chamber members hope the same happens at Houston, “but it would happen only when the green light comes from the top”.

Asked whether the issue has been discussed, he said, “This has been in the pipeline for many, many years and has been discussed by the tourism minister during a past visit."

I hoped for better numbers. $7.2 billion not bilateral trade is interesting, but that amount of trade would require heavy concentration in one city (e.g., a la Hollywood to Bollywood). I was hoping to see pax/day.

ULH needs premium, that will be tough to take away from UA/LH. I'm a fan of P2P, but this isn't MEL-PER-LHR.

I wish AI luck, but this doesn't seem fully thought through.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

atx11

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:26 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

Yes roughnecks do often fly business. Texas also generates more traffic to India than New England does.

^^ exactly. It’s amazing the type of elitist attitudes people have when they have zero experience w/ certain industries or areas.

Education does not always equal higher income. I know plenty of MBAs and JDs that are working at Starbucks, while GED/partial college guys are plant managers making $200k/yr, and yes, they do fly biz and are contributing members to the economy.

VTORD

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm

edealinfo wrote:
this is an interesting concept and would be a political coup. Only The PM could pull it off. Let’s see.

Easy with the hyperbole eh? "Political Coup"? "Only the PM can pull it off?" Seriously??
It's about a route announcement. He hasn't mediated ending Qatar's blockade for heaven's sake!!! :shakehead:

COflyerBOS

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Native Houstonian here who has lived and worked in Boston for 20 years now. I’m still laughing that an “educated elite” mentioned Harvard and Boston College. Personally, I’d have gone with MIT. Even Tufts and BU might be better choices for #2 than BC.

It never ceases to amaze me the preconceived and uneducated biases people hold against Houston. I love New England but the snobbery from left field reveals insecurity more than anything else.

I have no idea if AI will ever announce IAH but it wouldn’t shock me.

bravotango75

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I wish AI luck, but this doesn't seem fully thought through.

Lightsaber

No, say it ain't so...Air India, an airline that is on life support, not thinking? Throwing what few resources they have on a smallish, untried/tested market....Kinda like a 6 pack-a-day chain smoker, upping his smoking to 12 packs all the while coughing up a lung.

Good luck, AI, you're goin to need it

DfwRevolution

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:58 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

1.) As a point of fact, lots of blue collar oilfield workers are represented by unions with contracts that mandate premium travel classes. Houston famously had a premium-configured 747 flying non-stop between IAH-LAD for nearly 20 years that was filled almost exclusively with oilfield workers.

2.) This thread demonstrates some really, really shallow thinking on what actually stimulates traffic between two destinations. Particularly business traffic. Virtually every major oil & gas project these days has scope split between Houston and South Asia. For example, an offshore platform in Brazil will be led by MODEC in Houston with detailed engineering performed in India and fabrication done in Singapore. This is no mere affiliation like the fact that Hollywood and Bollywood are both entertainment hubs. It is daily interaction which consequently creates travel demand for review gates, clarification meetings, expediting, etc.

3.) While #2 is a reality that results in professionals traveling between Houston and India every day - my office has multiple people there every single week - I still see this as a long-shot route. To repeat my earlier post: EK/QR competition and the long flight time are formidable. For AI to start this route, they are basically saying this is *the* best new route opportunity anywhere in the world for them. If true, that's wonderful.

4.) Now what does Boston have to do with this? Absolutely nothing, other than an aggrieved local, apparently.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

vadodara

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:12 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
2.) This thread demonstrates some really, really shallow thinking on what actually stimulates traffic between two destinations. Particularly business traffic. Virtually every major oil & gas project these days has scope split between Houston and South Asia. For example, an offshore platform in Brazil will be led by MODEC in Houston with detailed engineering performed in India and fabrication done in Singapore. This is no mere affiliation like the fact that Hollywood and Bollywood are both entertainment hubs. It is daily interaction which consequently creates travel demand for review gates, clarification meetings, expediting, etc.

Some of this is wishful thinking, some ignorance of Houston and industries other than 'IT'.

DfwRevolution wrote:
3.) While #2 is a reality that results in professionals traveling between Houston and India every day - my office has multiple people there every single week - I still see this as a long-shot route. To repeat my earlier post: EK/QR competition and the long flight time are formidable. For AI to start this route, they are basically saying this is *the* best new route opportunity anywhere in the world for them. If true, that's wonderful.

You are correct! After EY stopped flights both to IAH/DFW, neither of QR or EK have replaced the capacity.

Only portion I might disagree is that QR, due to its embargo from its neighbors, has had a lot of increase in flying time. AI has shown that to be of competitive advantage atleast out of SFO. The knee-jerk shutting down of Indian airspace by a neighboring country certainly doesnt help AI's cause or of DEL as a hub.

vadodara

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Perhaps, the smart thing is to do neither. But it also appears that neither EK nor QR have increased capacity out of DFW. EK with its fleet of A380's parked in the desert might have been tempted to put some of those birds out.

The demand may be notional; probably not worth pursuing it from profitably perspective.

Jet-lagged

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:03 pm

atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

^^ exactly. It’s amazing the type of elitist attitudes people have when they have zero experience w/ certain industries or areas.

Education does not always equal higher income. I know plenty of MBAs and JDs that are working at Starbucks, while GED/partial college guys are plant managers making $200k/yr, and yes, they do fly biz and are contributing members to the economy.

Why Houston and not the Hahvard area?

Because the Boston/Cambridge Metro is growing very slowly, essentially the same rate as the U.S. as a whole. Much slower than metros like Houston, Dallas, Austin, Seattle, Denver, Raleigh, etc etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ical_areas

For several years now significantly more people move away from Massachusetts than move in (at least domestically) whereas more people steadily move to Texas than leave Texas.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact- ... study-2018

Boston/Cambridge is not un-important and it is not facing its own sunset, but it is part of the languishing old. Houston is part of the growing new.

Too bad they didn’t announce a Delhi-Houston route. That would be a long one, connecting two very different parts of the world.

edealinfo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Jet-lagged wrote:
Too bad they didn’t announce a Delhi-Houston route. That would be a long one, connecting two very different parts of the world.

Does the fact that an announcement hasn't come so far, mean its gooners for now? Or, is there a chance it could be announced this week while the PM is still in the US -- to cap off his visit, perhaps??

Longhornmaniac

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm

I don't know what it means, but I'm at IAH right now and there's an AI 747-400 taxiing out. Lol.
Cheers,
Cameron

Ishrion

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
I don't know what it means, but I'm at IAH right now and there's an AI 747-400 taxiing out. Lol.

That's Modi's plane.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:06 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Jet-lagged wrote:

Does the fact that an announcement hasn't come so far, mean its gooners for now? Or, is there a chance it could be announced this week while the PM is still in the US -- to cap off his visit, perhaps??

I would say that’s grasping at straws.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 pm

vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Perhaps, the smart thing is to do neither. But it also appears that neither EK nor QR have increased capacity out of DFW. EK with its fleet of A380's parked in the desert might have been tempted to put some of those birds out.

The demand may be notional; probably not worth pursuing it from profitably perspective.

Not true with QR. they’re are using the 350-1000

Ishrion

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:18 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The A350-1000 is not a capacity increase. It's a capacity decrease.

The A35K has 327 seats and the previous 777-300ER they were operating with had 354 seats.

Planes4you

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 am

You rarely see airlines announce on Sundays

vadodara

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:21 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Let's see when QR start a 1-stop DFW-DOH-HYD on a A380.

Airlines0613

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:12 am

vadodara wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Some of this is wishful thinking, some ignorance of Houston and industries other than 'IT'.

DfwRevolution wrote:

You are correct! After EY stopped flights both to IAH/DFW, neither of QR or EK have replaced the capacity.

Only portion I might disagree is that QR, due to its embargo from its neighbors, has had a lot of increase in flying time. AI has shown that to be of competitive advantage atleast out of SFO. The knee-jerk shutting down of Indian airspace by a neighboring country certainly doesnt help AI's cause or of DEL as a hub.

EY never served IAH and capacity at IAH has grown with EK back with the A388, temporarily 77W for 2-3 months, and QR up-gauging from 77L to A35K.

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:24 am

vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Let's see when QR start a 1-stop DFW-DOH-HYD on a A380.

I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make. DFW-India is bigger than IAH-India but IAH has more traffic to the Middle East. What are you even getting at?

dmstorm22

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:05 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Man what a strange post.

Where did I argue Houston was more educated?

I argued Houston is larger (obviously true) and hast a ton of affluent people themselves (aside from it being true, affluent does not necessarily mean well educated).

Houston has a TON of high paying jobs, be it energy, oil, medicine and hte industries that support those (consulting, etc.).

I would love to see your math to justify this position that Boston would be a better add than Houston for AI.

I;m from the NY/NJ area so have no real skin in the game. But overall I don't see how a bunch of NE-educated, largely white population is driving enough traffic for daily non-stop operations to India.

hohd

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm

behramjee wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
BOM has a good sized oil industry, so theres the front cabin. IAH-DEL is VFR heavy and has a ton of 1 stop options on foreign flag carriers from IAH as well as UA via EWR, and soon, SFO.

If UA starts any kind of relationship with AI than just base Star Alliance obligations, I can see IAH-BOM eventually.

With UA competing to India, I doubt AI will see more than base *A trade from UA.

I'd like to see numbers on travel. Los Angeles is an import and software Management center. Not to mention Hollywood to Bollywood. I would be shocked if Houston has more business with Mumbai, but I'm willing to believe numbers.

Lightsaber

Please find below the past 12 months flown round trip pax data comparing IAH and DFW to the main Indian cities:

IAH vs DFW

BOM 67,000 vs 48,000
DEL 46,000 vs 41,000
MAA 22,000 vs 40,000
BLR 24,000 vs 39,000
HYD 30,000 vs 64,000
COK 17,000 vs 15,000
AMD 11,000 vs 8,000

Total is IAH 217,000 vs DFW 255,000...DFW wins largely due to the higher demand from Southern India (HYD BLR MAA) to the city !

Lastly, just for everyone's clarification, Etihad does not fly to Houston (IAH). In USA, EY flies to LAX ORD IAD and JFK only.

If AI would consider flying to IAH or DFW, which I doubt it, based on the numbers, it appears IAH would be better, since AI would be flying to BOM or DEL. They cannot count on DFW as many going to the southern cities, may not want to do another 1 stop when they already have other options. While UA is non cooperative to AI and also to other partners (except JV partners), AI could get some traffic based on mileage accrual.

One of the factors for UA deciding to start the flight from SFO to DEL may have come after seeing mileage accrual on MP accounts while flying on AI on the SFO-DEL route.

mfe777

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
behramjee wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
With UA competing to India, I doubt AI will see more than base *A trade from UA.

I'd like to see numbers on travel. Los Angeles is an import and software Management center. Not to mention Hollywood to Bollywood. I would be shocked if Houston has more business with Mumbai, but I'm willing to believe numbers.

Lightsaber

Please find below the past 12 months flown round trip pax data comparing IAH and DFW to the main Indian cities:

IAH vs DFW

BOM 67,000 vs 48,000
DEL 46,000 vs 41,000
MAA 22,000 vs 40,000
BLR 24,000 vs 39,000
HYD 30,000 vs 64,000
COK 17,000 vs 15,000
AMD 11,000 vs 8,000

Total is IAH 217,000 vs DFW 255,000...DFW wins largely due to the higher demand from Southern India (HYD BLR MAA) to the city !

Lastly, just for everyone's clarification, Etihad does not fly to Houston (IAH). In USA, EY flies to LAX ORD IAD and JFK only.

AI will only look at those top two lines. Caring about South India except when they get isolated bouts of political pressure is something they never do.

Aren't Bangalore and Hyderabad that top tech cities in India? And wouldn't they have an advantage drawing premium pax alongside the large VFR traffic?

dtw2hyd

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:31 pm

I was expecting a large Lockheed Martin order. Texas-India non-stop rumor fits perfectly.
All posts are just opinions.

oceanvikram

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:24 pm

mfe777 wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
behramjee wrote:

IAH vs DFW

BOM 67,000 vs 48,000
DEL 46,000 vs 41,000
MAA 22,000 vs 40,000
BLR 24,000 vs 39,000
HYD 30,000 vs 64,000
COK 17,000 vs 15,000
AMD 11,000 vs 8,000

AI will only look at those top two lines. Caring about South India except when they get isolated bouts of political pressure is something they never do.

Aren't Bangalore and Hyderabad that top tech cities in India? And wouldn't they have an advantage drawing premium pax alongside the large VFR traffic?

In today’s world, English words have different meanings than what’s in the Oxford or Webster dictionaries. So Air India actually means Air Delhi similarly to British Airways means London Airways and Qantas means Sas (Sydney airline system).

In my humble opinion, the next set of expansion should be from Mumbai, rather than adding new routes from New Delhi.
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.

audian

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Instead of adding routes to US and elsewhere, AI should focus on catching up with Gulf & Western carriers on soft and hard products. IMO AI is trailing others by a decade.

Even if AI did announce a route to either DFW or IAH, there are only a couple of strong reasons why anyone(traveling to India) would fly AI rather than EK/QR/AA-BA/LH/KLM.

Reason -1 : AI can provide one stop connections to second tier cities from DEL, thereby saving few hours of extra travel.
Reason -2 : Ultra cheap fares to India compared to cheaper fares on EK/QR.

I started to wonder are these reasons big enough for AI to launch an ultra long haul to either of these two cities.

Alternatively, AI Should focus on expanding code-sharing network to cities like DFW out of ORD & IAD.

VTORD

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
I was expecting a large Lockheed Martin order. Texas-India non-stop rumor fits perfectly.

Never say never AFA India's fighter deals but I don't think this will happen for a while at least. Rajnath Singh is poised to formally take possession of the first Rafale on Oct 8, so I am assuming they will wait at least until mid 2020 for the initial assessments on the India-specific bells & whistles + overall induction.

Anyway, back to topic....

airbazar

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Man what a strange post.

Which is completely irrelevant. How many of those travel to India? That;s right India is not a "energy sector economy".

SurlyBonds

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
But overall I don't see how a bunch of NE-educated, largely white population is driving enough traffic for daily non-stop operations to India.

Boston is (arguably, I guess) the second-most important tech city in the US after San Francisco. The rationale would be exactly the same as for the SFO-DEL flight: connecting two important tech corridors.

I'm not taking a position on BOS versus IAH versus "do nothing" here, but BOS is not a fanciful idea, however inartfully the "Harvard" poster may have made his case.

dmstorm22

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
But overall I don't see how a bunch of NE-educated, largely white population is driving enough traffic for daily non-stop operations to India.

Boston is (arguably, I guess) the second-most important tech city in the US after San Francisco. The rationale would be exactly the same as for the SFO-DEL flight: connecting two important tech corridors.

I'm not taking a position on BOS versus IAH versus "do nothing" here, but BOS is not a fanciful idea, however inartfully the "Harvard" poster may have made his case.

You realize even tech is not going to fill a whole plane - and I do think we overstate how much tech drives business travel. Surely it does in the Apple sense, but not in the random start-up hub sense.

Can't speak for Houston, but NYC having the US hubs for TCS, Infosys, etc., is going to fill WAY more front of house than pureplay tech.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:00 pm

airbazar wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Which is completely irrelevant. How many of those travel to India? That;s right India is not a "energy sector economy".

It was not irrelevant because the discussion was not specifically about India, but was addressing premium demand as brought up by previous posters in the chain...

However since you brought it up India is a growing player in the energy market and in Houston.
From 2016: "Oil India follows ONGC and GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) in establishing offices in Houston. OVL (ONGC Videsh Ltd), the international subsidiary of ONGC, owns participating interests in 37 projects in 17 countries with oil and gas companies that are either headquartered in Houston or have major offices here."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 459765.php

I did not say it would drive a flight, so do not confuse the two; just pointing out the facts of generic market dynamics and the industry.

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm

airbazar wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Talk about uninformed...

DocLightning

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 pm

https://leehamnews.com/wp-content/uploa ... otated.png

It appears that the 7,276 nmi of this route still puts the 77L at its MZFW with a bit to spare. Now, this doesn't take into account the issues of flying over the Himalayas, hold times, etc. That said, any alternates to IAH would likely be further north, so they wouldn't have to keep flying past IAH to an alternate in most cases. Now, where those 77Ls will come from is anyone's guess.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EK216

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 pm

audian wrote:
Instead of adding routes to US and elsewhere, AI should focus on catching up with Gulf & Western carriers on soft and hard products. IMO AI is trailing others by a decade.

Even if AI did announce a route to either DFW or IAH, there are only a couple of strong reasons why anyone(traveling to India) would fly AI rather than EK/QR/AA-BA/LH/KLM.

Reason -1 : AI can provide one stop connections to second tier cities from DEL, thereby saving few hours of extra travel.
Reason -2 : Ultra cheap fares to India compared to cheaper fares on EK/QR.

I started to wonder are these reasons big enough for AI to launch an ultra long haul to either of these two cities.

Alternatively, AI Should focus on expanding code-sharing network to cities like DFW out of ORD & IAD.

Agreed. While I remain optimistic about this strategy from AI, I really think they should simultaneously keep up that energy in improving their hard & soft products. For example, I would rather take EK's SFO-DXB-BLR in business than on AI's business SFO-DEL-BLR, but that's just me (ME3 are lightyears ahead). I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to take AI from the US to connect 2nd tier city in India (especially in business or first) as opposed to ME3 or Euro Legacy carriers, but like I said, that's just me.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:22 pm

atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Not from IAH they aren’t

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos