Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Sdmccray1984
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:07 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Back in May(2020), I booked a TAP flight for February 2021 round trip JFK-LIS. At that point, the website said that the equipment would be an A330-900neo(which I flew on in February). A few days ago, TAP canceled that flight & downgraded the equipment to an A321LR. NYC is one of the most prestigious routes out of Lisboa. So if demand is dropping so much that TAP would do that, I wonder if the flight will even exist at all by next February...
 
NYCSKYGUY
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
Back in May(2020), I booked a TAP flight for February 2021 round trip JFK-LIS. At that point, the website said that the equipment would be an A330-900neo(which I flew on in February). A few days ago, TAP canceled that flight & downgraded the equipment to an A321LR. NYC is one of the most prestigious routes out of Lisboa. So if demand is dropping so much that TAP would do that, I wonder if the flight will even exist at all by next February...


The 321LR is really optimal for that flight. Why not use it? It has the range, and most likely the capacity at this point. Probably costs 1/2 the amount to operate (just a guess). Smart move TAP.
 
abrelosojos
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:48 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm

NYCSKYGUY wrote:
Sdmccray1984 wrote:
Back in May(2020), I booked a TAP flight for February 2021 round trip JFK-LIS. At that point, the website said that the equipment would be an A330-900neo(which I flew on in February). A few days ago, TAP canceled that flight & downgraded the equipment to an A321LR. NYC is one of the most prestigious routes out of Lisboa. So if demand is dropping so much that TAP would do that, I wonder if the flight will even exist at all by next February...


The 321LR is really optimal for that flight. Why not use it? It has the range, and most likely the capacity at this point. Probably costs 1/2 the amount to operate (just a guess). Smart move TAP.


= Absolutely agree. I just looked at their schedule, and it seems they replaced a 339 with 2 321-LR. If you follow Arik's career, he is big on frequency;, and this is the right thing to do. Double frequency allows more connections at their LIS hub. Honestly, I am surprised they did not do this before. Too bad he is leaving for Air Canada.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.
 
User avatar
fidelidade
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 pm

I checked with my internal contact and it is exactly like what is said above. The network team has been told to use the LR as much as possible as apparently Arik wants to provide coverage to all places. In an internal video, he said he wants to fly given Lisbon's strategic advantage. I was told they have now put the LR to Boston and Toronto as well which are usually 339 markets. Also, Montreal is still starting at the end of July as bookings are strong.

My source also tells me that no decision has been made on Cancun and Cape Town and that the belief is that it is too early for now.
 
Duartelmatos
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:52 pm

There will be 2 daily flights on A321LR to Newark and one daily on A321LR to JFK. The A321LR is TAP’s aircraft with the best feedback from the passengers
 
flyingqueen
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 am

If this is true, it really is a big loss for TAP. Just when they need smart people, they let them leave. I agree with the other poster, both Rafael and Arik are very smart people. I hope the Board is smart enough to retain them. It is funny. TAP needed a totally different approach to commercial planning, and I thought Arik was the right person to lead it. Too bad though. Air Canada is a winner here. Wonder what he will do there as AC network planning really is way too YUL focussed.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8511
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Duartelmatos wrote:
There will be 2 daily flights on A321LR to Newark and one daily on A321LR to JFK. The A321LR is TAP’s aircraft with the best feedback from the passengers


Which passengers? If they lose many J (and I mean J, not heavily discounted long-haul business) passengers who believe that a 321 (irrespective of seat type) doesn't offer a suitable long-haul experience they're not coming out ahead.

As for frequency, what incremental destinations do they get with a second NYC-LIS flight? Are the continental and Africa departures not banked?
 
Duartelmatos
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Currently TAP has a question at the end of each flight asking how the experience was. The A321LR has the best feedback from the fleet. Besides, the business class available on these aircrafts is Long Haul business. It’s a fact that they only have 16 J seats but it is also true that the A321Lr is the aircraft with the best performance too.
The frequencies I said are available on the website and they can obviously change. And yes, not only does the second flight to EWR expand the network in terms of connecting flights, but also offers a good schedule for both people on business travel and other people who can take a flight after their work schedule.
 
User avatar
fidelidade
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Yes, the TAP product on 321-LR is not like other airlines J class. It is lie-flat seats with aisle access, and full WiFi, etc. As for network, any second flight will improve connectivity, and reduce times. It is network 101.

Arik's departure is a big loss, but I think his transformation will be more felt in revenue management, where he had been increasingly focussing the airline to move away from deep discounting. That was a big change for us from chasing loads and giving us confidence. His mantra was always simple. If you have the product, be confident, and show it off, and charge a premium. Before COVID hit, our average fares were up 17% YoY. I think it is part of the disciplined training he has.

I am sorry for us, and I hope people are still trying to keep him. Air Canada's big win.
 
abrelosojos
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:48 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm

fidelidade wrote:
Yes, the TAP product on 321-LR is not like other airlines J class. It is lie-flat seats with aisle access, and full WiFi, etc. As for network, any second flight will improve connectivity, and reduce times. It is network 101.

Arik's departure is a big loss, but I think his transformation will be more felt in revenue management, where he had been increasingly focussing the airline to move away from deep discounting. That was a big change for us from chasing loads and giving us confidence. His mantra was always simple. If you have the product, be confident, and show it off, and charge a premium. Before COVID hit, our average fares were up 17% YoY. I think it is part of the disciplined training he has.

I am sorry for us, and I hope people are still trying to keep him. Air Canada's big win.


= So, now I know who to blame for taking away my absurd J class fares. There are increasingly fewer of them. I still can't believe he is leaving though as the last time he spoke at a conference, he was really bullish about TAP. However, if my CEO got fired on national TV for no reason, I would question my role as well. As others have said, a huge win for Air Canada. It was time Calin made some top level changes there. Network planning seemed to have run out of ideas after Ben left.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.
 
User avatar
fidelidade
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Updated: Portugal seals final deal with TAP's private shareholders

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Here is the update we received just now.

Additional reductions for Dakar, Fortaleza, Recife, Belo Horizonte now moving to August because of Portugal borders. Conakry, Casablanca, Copenhagen, Luanda, Oslo, Bissau, Marakech, Sal, Tel Aviv, Vienna, Warsaw is moving to mid-August to September 1 re-launch.

We are getting updates all the time and I have never seen the network team being so proactively involved.
 
flyingqueen
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: Updated: Portugal seals final deal with TAP's private shareholders

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Is the Air Canada moved confirmed? This is a big win for Air Canada to get someone of his talent.

But, I disagree with comments about Ramiro. I worked with him at Vueling and he is also good. I cannot see him at a network airline, but Aegean is small so he will do a wonderful job.

I feel bad for TAP though. How does the government let everyone go in the middle of a storm?
 
runway23
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:27 pm

abrelosojos wrote:

= So, now I know who to blame for taking away my absurd J class fares. There are increasingly fewer of them. I still can't believe he is leaving though as the last time he spoke at a conference, he was really bullish about TAP. However, if my CEO got fired on national TV for no reason, I would question my role as well. As others have said, a huge win for Air Canada. It was time Calin made some top level changes there. Network planning seemed to have run out of ideas after Ben left.


I disagree, AC had a successful strategy - during and after Ben. AC was reaching the point where pretty much any viable route to/from its hubs was served.

The absurd fares are back on many East Coast routes in J and the past few weeks TP was discounting YUL in Y to sub 100€ fares one-way. I’ve noticed pretty much all lower bucket inventory has now been pulled out of YUL, regardless of the date - wonder if it’s a sign TP might not launch the route ? Weirdly enough, TP never heavily discounted YUL/YYZ in J to the extent they did for their US routes.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Polot wrote:
airbazar wrote:
aviationlover7 wrote:
Now that David Neeleman is out, CEO Antonaldo Neves sacked and the Portuguese Gov. has a majority stake, will TAP’s strategy change?
I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a scenario where this airline is still operating in 3 years in a function other that a very basic route structure and very unprofitable.

Everything you mentioned was going to happen regardless thanks to covid. TAP may have been “on a really good path” but let’s not pretend they have been wildly profitable the past couple of years, and that was during a boom period. They have been on a “really exciting for Portugal/TAP fans but still needing work on getting consistently high profits” path.

The losses had more to do with the airport than the airline itself and that is/was being addressed by expanding the current airport, building a secondary airport, and getting concessions from the air force for more efficient air space use. The foundation for a better future was being laid down and that is what costs the most money. A brand new fleet costs a lot of money. Retraining and restructuring labor, and changing the mentality across the firm not to mention lots of new hiring costs a lot of money. Re-inventing the schedule to turn the airline into a TATL connecting competitor costs a lot of money. All of that work had pretty much been done. The airline was well positioned to survive Covid because of its low operating costs and the fact that it doesn't rely heavily on premium passengers. Business travel will be the biggest casualty of Covid, not leisure travel. But I have little hope that a TAP in the hands of the government can continue on the same path.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10885
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:04 pm

airbazar wrote:
Polot wrote:
airbazar wrote:
I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a scenario where this airline is still operating in 3 years in a function other that a very basic route structure and very unprofitable.

Everything you mentioned was going to happen regardless thanks to covid. TAP may have been “on a really good path” but let’s not pretend they have been wildly profitable the past couple of years, and that was during a boom period. They have been on a “really exciting for Portugal/TAP fans but still needing work on getting consistently high profits” path.

The losses had more to do with the airport than the airline itself and that is/was being addressed by expanding the current airport, building a secondary airport, and getting concessions from the air force for more efficient air space use. The foundation for a better future was being laid down and that is what costs the most money. A brand new fleet costs a lot of money. Retraining and restructuring labor, and changing the mentality across the firm not to mention lots of new hiring costs a lot of money. Re-inventing the schedule to turn the airline into a TATL connecting competitor costs a lot of money. All of that work had pretty much been done. The airline was well positioned to survive Covid because of its low operating costs and the fact that it doesn't rely heavily on premium passengers. Business travel will be the biggest casualty of Covid, not leisure travel. But I have little hope that a TAP in the hands of the government can continue on the same path.

The airport is an excuse. If TAP truly had low enough operating costs/acceptably low premium traffic levels they would be making money despite the airport. Expanding the current airport/building a secondary airport, etc cost money, cost that would be passed on to TAP in the form of higher airport fees. Costs like a fleet of brand new aircraft don’t just go away after delivery when Airbus gets a check-TAP is going to be paying for those planes for years.

Business travel is the biggest casualty of covid, but intercontinental leisure traffic is not far behind. People are going to staying more local/regional for a time until their comfort level of flying 7+ hours to another part of the world improves.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Polot wrote:
The airport is an excuse. If TAP truly had low enough operating costs/acceptably low premium traffic levels they would be making money despite the airport. Expanding the current airport/building a secondary airport, etc cost money, cost that would be passed on to TAP in the form of higher airport fees. Costs like a fleet of brand new aircraft don’t just go away after delivery when Airbus gets a check-TAP is going to be paying for those planes for years.

Name 1 profitable network carrier operating out of a single runway airport with an insufficient number of gates. Have you even been to LIS? More than 50% of TAPs flights require busing. This is not an efficient hub by any stretch of the imagination. The airline cannot optimize connections in order to attract higher premium fares and maximize aircraft utilization. In addition LIS is subject to cross winds and fog which causes delays. Are you familiar with the EU's compensation law for delayed flights and missed connections? TAP pays out millions every year for that alone. In 2018 TAP paid out 40 million Euros in delay compensation. If you think the airport is just an excuse then you have no idea what you're talking about.
The other topic I left out is CO2 emissions. In 2018, TAP's old fleet cost the airline nearly 30 million Euros in emission licenses. The new fleet of more efficient aircraft should improve that but obviously there was/is an initial cost to acquire the fleet
My point is, the hard work has been mostly done to right the ship and put it back on course. There is little more they could have done with the infrastructure that they have to work with. The management team at TAP did a pretty good job over the last few years and it's pretty sad to see them get dumped like that.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10885
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 pm

airbazar wrote:
Polot wrote:
The airport is an excuse. If TAP truly had low enough operating costs/acceptably low premium traffic levels they would be making money despite the airport. Expanding the current airport/building a secondary airport, etc cost money, cost that would be passed on to TAP in the form of higher airport fees. Costs like a fleet of brand new aircraft don’t just go away after delivery when Airbus gets a check-TAP is going to be paying for those planes for years.

Name 1 profitable network carrier operating out of a single runway airport with an insufficient number of gates. Have you even been to LIS? More than 50% of TAPs flights require busing. This is not an efficient hub by any stretch of the imagination. The airline cannot optimize connections in order to attract higher premium fares and maximize aircraft utilization. In addition LIS is subject to cross winds and fog which causes delays. Are you familiar with the EU's compensation law for delayed flights and missed connections? TAP pays out millions every year for that alone. In 2018 TAP paid out 40 million Euros in delay compensation. If you think the airport is just an excuse then you have no idea what you're talking about.

I stand by my statement. If TAP’s operating costs and premium to leisure travel ratio was good enough they would be profitable despite the airport. TAP, after all, is the one who is decided they must do major expansion to coincide with profitability, instead of getting profitable then expanding. TAP’s low operating costs are partially a reflection of its mediocre operations- improving it (ie keeping more spares around, scheduling more realistic connection/turn times) cost money.

Most people TAP is targeting with their expansion have no idea what the state of LIS is. TAP are expanding to new markets with low fares in the hopes of capturing traffic, and the hope that down the line they can creep up prices/build loyalty as they get more established and recognition in the new markets. Covid has put an end for any hope of that strategy working out any time soon. TAP will be fine with the A321LRs, but now they have a ton of A339s that they need to find something to do with.

A new airport is not a magic bullet. That has costs. If two airports are kept open you risk fragmenting premium traffic (if old is in better location) which throws a wrench in plans (do you consolidate to new and risk losing premium traffic, or will TAP have to run a dual hub system which raises costs?). You are just replacing delayed compensation and emission costs with additional capex cost (how many new planes did TAP get in 2019?) and airport utilization costs. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
 
aviationlover7
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Updated: Portugal seals final deal with TAP's private shareholders

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 pm

TAP's COO takes over as the new interim CEO:
https://expresso.pt/economia/2020-07-30 ... nte-da-TAP
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Polot wrote:
I stand by my statement. If TAP’s operating costs and premium to leisure travel ratio was good enough they would be profitable despite the airport. TAP, after all, is the one who is decided they must do major expansion to coincide with profitability, instead of getting profitable then expanding. TAP’s low operating costs are partially a reflection of its mediocre operations- improving it (ie keeping more spares around, scheduling more realistic connection/turn times) cost money.


You are making my point without even realizing it. The infrastructure that they operate out of does not allow them to attract premium passengers. The average low yield passenger may not know it or not care but I guarantee you there isn't a single business flier out there who doesn't know that MAD, CDG, or AMS offer a better connection experience.
Expansion is the path to profitability. An airplane only makes money when it's flying. Once they decided to be a network carrier they have to expand to fill connecting seats. The only valid argument IMO is whether they should be a network carrier or focus on being a much smaller O&D carrier instead.
But by no means is the airport the only problem at TAP. I'm just saying that the airport is a major problem, among other problems. And on that topic, a new airport is only required because the government has been kicking the can for the past 50 years. Even 25 years ago (wow, that was only 1995), there was still plenty of space around the current airport for expansion. All of that space was slowly taken up by development and now there's no more room to expand. Well, there's always eminent domain but that comes at a very high cost too. No matter how you slice it Lisbon will need a new airport some time and the longer it's put off the more expensive it will be because that very large parcel of land that exists right now, is not going to be available forever.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Looks like TAP will be taking delivery of an A321NEO with the retro livery.
https://www.aeroin.net/veja-como-ficara ... -portugal/
Looks like a good looking plane. Hope it lasts ;)
 
boeingbus
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 12:37 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 pm

nice. but I would love to see the 80's livery on the new A330/321Neo...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm really getting a DC8/707 vibe from the length combined with the livery!
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:25 pm

That's gonna be a nice looking bird, just like her sister ship (A330)
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2796
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:43 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
That's gonna be a nice looking bird, just like her sister ship (A330)


CS-TOV is now C-GEGC with Air Canada. It was a temporary lease while TAP awaited the delivery of the A321LR and A330neo, I think.
 
User avatar
fidelidade
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:29 pm

This is great, and so proud of this. We are going to have a very challenge few months and also because there is so much more uncertainty with the CEO. The current one Antonoaldo is not leaving because of paperwork, and the interim CEO Ramiro has no experience and is considered a puppet. We are told he got the job because he used the job offer he had from Aegean Airlines to negotiate more money. Also negative is because Arik who is the C level responsible for network and revenue is still being wanted by Air Canada. I hope he personally stays because he has brought a lot of new transformation to the area. Also negative is Abilio who is the leader for sales is also being asked to leave because he is best friends with the mayor of Lisbon who is not a friend of the Minister. On the good news, TAP was one of the best performing airlines in Europe in July. August is being very good, and September will see many capacity adds. The new plane is supposed to enter with us in October middle.
 
User avatar
leleko747
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 pm

fidelidade wrote:
This is great, and so proud of this. We are going to have a very challenge few months and also because there is so much more uncertainty with the CEO. The current one Antonoaldo is not leaving because of paperwork, and the interim CEO Ramiro has no experience and is considered a puppet. We are told he got the job because he used the job offer he had from Aegean Airlines to negotiate more money. Also negative is because Arik who is the C level responsible for network and revenue is still being wanted by Air Canada. I hope he personally stays because he has brought a lot of new transformation to the area. Also negative is Abilio who is the leader for sales is also being asked to leave because he is best friends with the mayor of Lisbon who is not a friend of the Minister. On the good news, TAP was one of the best performing airlines in Europe in July. August is being very good, and September will see many capacity adds. The new plane is supposed to enter with us in October middle.


Despite the troubled water, these are great news. It was wonderful to see the retro A330-300 here in Fortaleza, performing flights TAP 35/36.
Hope to have the chance to see this retro A321 someday too! By the way, an A330-900 in the 1980s livery (same one of the Tristars) would be wonderful aswell.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.
 
abrelosojos
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:48 am

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:09 pm

runway23 wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

= So, now I know who to blame for taking away my absurd J class fares. There are increasingly fewer of them. I still can't believe he is leaving though as the last time he spoke at a conference, he was really bullish about TAP. However, if my CEO got fired on national TV for no reason, I would question my role as well. As others have said, a huge win for Air Canada. It was time Calin made some top level changes there. Network planning seemed to have run out of ideas after Ben left.


I disagree, AC had a successful strategy - during and after Ben. AC was reaching the point where pretty much any viable route to/from its hubs was served.

The absurd fares are back on many East Coast routes in J and the past few weeks TP was discounting YUL in Y to sub 100€ fares one-way. I’ve noticed pretty much all lower bucket inventory has now been pulled out of YUL, regardless of the date - wonder if it’s a sign TP might not launch the route ? Weirdly enough, TP never heavily discounted YUL/YYZ in J to the extent they did for their US routes.


= Clearly, you were wrong. TAP launched YUL, and has progressively expanded on YYZ. You underestimate that TAP is the only airline with 321-LR's that can efficiently connect Canada with Lisbon, and their CCO is Canadian and has taken on some calculated risks that all seem to be paying off. TS can do that, but it's demand is only POS CA, which has collapsed.

Part of AC's problem is an airline running out of ideas and a management team that does not reflect the diversity of Canada.

Saludos,
Alex
Last edited by abrelosojos on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, and let live.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8511
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: TAP Changes Rumor

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:35 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Part of AC's problem is an airline running out of ideas and a management team that does not reflect the diversity of Canada.


Those criticisms are pretty broad, and presented without evidence of the relevance to running AC.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:07 pm

And here's a picture of the real thing.
https://www.aeroin.net/airbus-a321lr-re ... al-pronto/
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1504
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Obrigado TAP!!!
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:51 pm

FlyRow wrote:
I'm really getting a DC8/707 vibe from the length combined with the livery!


In a lot of respects the A321NEO is the 707/ DC-8 reborn (with a lot less fuel consumed!)
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
Antarius
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
marcelh
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Antarius wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?

Yes
 
User avatar
A321Lufthansa
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:56 pm

leleko747 wrote:
fidelidade wrote:
This is great, and so proud of this. We are going to have a very challenge few months and also because there is so much more uncertainty with the CEO. The current one Antonoaldo is not leaving because of paperwork, and the interim CEO Ramiro has no experience and is considered a puppet. We are told he got the job because he used the job offer he had from Aegean Airlines to negotiate more money. Also negative is because Arik who is the C level responsible for network and revenue is still being wanted by Air Canada. I hope he personally stays because he has brought a lot of new transformation to the area. Also negative is Abilio who is the leader for sales is also being asked to leave because he is best friends with the mayor of Lisbon who is not a friend of the Minister. On the good news, TAP was one of the best performing airlines in Europe in July. August is being very good, and September will see many capacity adds. The new plane is supposed to enter with us in October middle.


Despite the troubled water, these are great news. It was wonderful to see the retro A330-300 here in Fortaleza, performing flights TAP 35/36.
Hope to have the chance to see this retro A321 someday too! By the way, an A330-900 in the 1980s livery (same one of the Tristars) would be wonderful aswell.

It is not an A321LR, so it's pretty doubtful to see it in Fortaleza.
Last flown aircrafts: A21N TC-LSF < B738 TC-JVY < E190 D-AECF < B77W VP-BGC < A320 VP-BOM < A320 VQ-BES < A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII
 
Clydenairways
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Antarius wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?

Looks like TAP to me.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Looks nice, although I think the 80s/90s livery would have looked better.

Off topic, but I have noticed that the airline name is pronounced "Tap" in Portuguese, but "T-A-P" (with each letter sounded out) in English. Is there a reason for this? I took TAP last year from Dulles and in Portuguese announcements onboard the crew said "TAP" but sounded out each letter in English.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Antarius
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?

Looks like TAP to me.


I meant it reminds me of the old AI livery. It definitely is TAP.

I personally prefer the current livery. This is pretty forgettable.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:18 pm

USAirALB wrote:
Looks nice, although I think the 80s/90s livery would have looked better.

Off topic, but I have noticed that the airline name is pronounced "Tap" in Portuguese, but "T-A-P" (with each letter sounded out) in English. Is there a reason for this? I took TAP last year from Dulles and in Portuguese announcements onboard the crew said "TAP" but sounded out each letter in English.


Odd. I don't remember ever seeing it "Tap" anywhere. And in Portuguese we use the word TAP (same sound as in tap water, for example), but I have no idea why they sound out the letters when they speak in English. It makes no sense but it's a good observation nonetheless.

Antarius wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?

This Air India? Really?
 
User avatar
leleko747
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 pm

A321Lufthansa wrote:
It is not an A321LR, so it's pretty doubtful to see it in Fortaleza.


Ohhh, that's sad. I thought it was one of those Long Range ones. TAP had deployed one of these on the Lisbon - Belém flight prior to the pandemic, and would deploy it to Fortaleza aswell.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.
 
justplanesmart
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:25 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:39 am

Antarius wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like Air India?

Looks like TAP to me.


I meant it reminds me of the old AI livery. It definitely is TAP.

I personally prefer the current livery. This is pretty forgettable.


Perhaps this livery?

"So many planes; so little time..."
 
vahancrazy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:15 am

The A330 not, but the A321neo retro is a must have for the model collection!
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:21 pm

justplanesmart wrote:
Perhaps this livery?



That's not even red. Looks more like a maroon.
Here's a TAP 707 for comparison. I don't know how anyone can confuse the two.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 4891
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Updated: Portugal seals final deal with TAP's private shareholders

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:12 pm

TAP received the first tranche of €500 million of its €1.2 billion state rescue loan from the Portuguese government

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/t ... 62.article
mercure f-wtcc
 
CRJ5000
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:23 am

It's crazy how low some of there fares have gotten in the future, even at the start of next years peak season. I'm assuming they just need cash now.
Searching from east coast US cities like MIA and JFK to most cities involving a connection in Europe (MAD/CDG/BCN, etc) I'm getting round trip fares on TAP from $230-260 USD for most dates May-July 2021.
If anyone wants to book a post covid (hopefully) vacation at a great price, now is the time.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
It's crazy how low some of there fares have gotten in the future, even at the start of next years peak season. I'm assuming they just need cash now.
Searching from east coast US cities like MIA and JFK to most cities involving a connection in Europe (MAD/CDG/BCN, etc) I'm getting round trip fares on TAP from $230-260 USD for most dates May-July 2021.
If anyone wants to book a post covid (hopefully) vacation at a great price, now is the time.

But you're also running the risk that the airline won't be flying by next Summer :D
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: TAP A321NEO retro livery

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
The A330 not, but the A321neo retro is a must have for the model collection!

What a heresy!!! :lol:
The Retro TAP A333 was the most beautiful thing in the air back then. I'm sad it is gone.
Both are musts for every collector.
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:57 pm

airbazar wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:
It's crazy how low some of there fares have gotten in the future, even at the start of next years peak season. I'm assuming they just need cash now.
Searching from east coast US cities like MIA and JFK to most cities involving a connection in Europe (MAD/CDG/BCN, etc) I'm getting round trip fares on TAP from $230-260 USD for most dates May-July 2021.
If anyone wants to book a post covid (hopefully) vacation at a great price, now is the time.

But you're also running the risk that the airline won't be flying by next Summer :D

One won't go bankrupt by losing 230-260 USD...
Worth the purchase risks anyway. Especially we're talking about high season in Europe between May-Jul.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10198
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 pm

ojjunior wrote:
airbazar wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:
It's crazy how low some of there fares have gotten in the future, even at the start of next years peak season. I'm assuming they just need cash now.
Searching from east coast US cities like MIA and JFK to most cities involving a connection in Europe (MAD/CDG/BCN, etc) I'm getting round trip fares on TAP from $230-260 USD for most dates May-July 2021.
If anyone wants to book a post covid (hopefully) vacation at a great price, now is the time.

But you're also running the risk that the airline won't be flying by next Summer :D

One won't go bankrupt by losing 230-260 USD...
Worth the purchase risks anyway. Especially we're talking about high season in Europe between May-Jul.

No one will go bankrupt by losing the money for a vacation but that doesn't mean it's an enjoyable experience. By the same token, paying an extra $300 to travel with an airline that will be around next Summer is well worth the extra money for the peace of mind in knowing that your summer plans won't get ruined.
 
A388
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Are there any plans to (re)paint one of the A339's in the livery worn by their L1011's? That would be fantastic.

A388
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: TAP Portugal News and Discussion Thread

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:03 am

TAP adds Ibiza, Fuerteventura, Oujda, Djerba, Monastir and Zagreb for S21. Clearly all but ZAG focused on the local Lisbon traffic.

https://www.jn.pt/economia/tap-anuncia- ... 13124.html

TAP anuncia seis novas rotas para o verão de 2021

A TAP anunciou, esta sexta-feira, que vai voar para Ibiza, Fuerteventura e Zagreb no verão de 2021, tendo ainda previstas duas novas rotas para a Tunísia e uma para Marrocos, numa altura em que é elaborado o plano de reestruturação.


This is on top of the 4 delayed routes from 2020.

A estas novas rotas para o verão de 2021 vão juntar-se os novos destinos que a companhia tinha anunciado para este ano mas cujo início teve de ser adiado por causa da pandemia de 2021, refere a mesma nota. Em causa estão as novas ligações da TAP para Cancún, Cidade do Cabo, Agadir e Santiago de Compostela.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos