Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skipness1E

Re: United's EWR-Heathrow Routes

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
BTW, for JFK-LHR, BA only does 7 daily flights as one of the flights now operates to and from LGW.

No, wrong, LGW-JFK is #9 on LON-JFK with LCY-JFK making a Kennedy total of 10. LHR-EWR x 2 makes a LON-NYC total of 12.

flybry

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 am

United1 wrote:
flybry wrote:
I think United was dumb to sell their JFK-LON authority to Delta when they did and pull out of the JFK-LHR market completely. Just like pulling out of JFK to LAX and SFO.

Actually think it was a pretty smart move at the time...not very long after UA sold JFK-LON to DL the US and UK reached an open skies agreement. UA could have re-entered the market at any time they wished after that point as UA retained their slots at LHR. Was a good way to monetize an asset before it lost quite a lot of its value.

That’s actually a really good point I hadn’t thought about.

Cointrin330

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I kind of find it funny that looking at JFK-LHR, it's like Bermuda II all over again: two American carriers and two British Carriers.

EWR-Heathrow however, has only United from the U.S., competing with a daily British Airways and Virgin Atlantic from the other side of the pond. And while the number of seats is overall less at EWR, United controls a higher percent of the seats in that market, meaning the loyal FF's of Star Alliance in the tri-state area (but especially northern New Jersey) will enjoy the frequency that UA offers. Frequency is key, but a sharp eye needs to be kept out for trends in First Class. The bean counters know how to do this, and the minute UA finds that traffic, they will adapt to it.

BA is 2 x daily EWR-LHR. VS is 1.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I kind of find it funny that looking at JFK-LHR, it's like Bermuda II all over again: two American carriers and two British Carriers.

EWR-Heathrow however, has only United from the U.S., competing with a daily British Airways and Virgin Atlantic from the other side of the pond. And while the number of seats is overall less at EWR, United controls a higher percent of the seats in that market, meaning the loyal FF's of Star Alliance in the tri-state area (but especially northern New Jersey) will enjoy the frequency that UA offers. Frequency is key, but a sharp eye needs to be kept out for trends in First Class. The bean counters know how to do this, and the minute UA finds that traffic, they will adapt to it.

Is BA x2? I only saw one flight, but I only did a quick check of flightaware...

Either way, it shows EWR as a decent-sized spoke able to hold its own against JFK gravity.

dmstorm22

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 pm

huhang17 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
UA is pretty smart here...they are targeting higher-yield J passengers by having 46 J seats for sale per flight. Then it's 22 premium economy, 52 economy plus, and only 41 economy passengers. UA is intentionally not targeting lower yielding passengers.

BTW, for JFK-LHR, BA only does 7 daily flights as one of the flights now operates to and from LGW.

As for the B77W that used to go to HKG, that's now going to PVG instead. Another B77W rotation is being added for GRU, along with making EWR-TLV all B77W as B77W/B78X was too little capacity.

The seats map is very good for UA's EWR-LHR, but the 767 fleets are too old(20 years old above), 787 with more J seats/ premium economy is better!

The 767s they're running to London are the high-J Polaris configuration. Age of the plane is not really meaningful given they've invested on the interior.

chepos

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:52 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Either way, it shows EWR as a decent-sized spoke able to hold its own against JFK gravity.

BA 184 and BA 188, EWR-LHR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

x1234

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:30 pm

huhang17, why would UA invest in a higher CASM aircraft on EWR-LHR when the 767 can do its job (and maintained well). LHR is a market all about PREMIUM FREQUENCY. If your chasing low fares there's plenty of competition @ JFK from Norwegian, BA, AA, DL & VS.

UA857
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Can UA fly the 787-10 on EWR-LHR?

Pinto

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 pm

UA857 wrote:

They could but they won't. UA can fly anything from a 757-200 to a 77W however they wont. They invested millions in the High J 763s and this won't move off LHR

ahmetdouas

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm

VC10er wrote:
I do not know what UA is doing to take advantage of the massive growth of Manhattan’s west side, from “Billionaire’s Row” near Columbus Circle to the river, Hudson Yards, and the entire Financial District and mostly around 1 World Trade Center as well as the NJ side expansion of the Hudson which is now an enormous skyline of skyscrapers that didn’t exist 15 years ago. Add to that the unbelievable fast and easy surface transportation via Corp car or Uber. On the worst day and time the Holland tunnel ads half an hour. 7 out of 10 trips by car to EWR is with my company driver, Hecham, I am pulling up to Premier Access at TC in 20 to 25 minutes. The Polanski skyway is gorgeous just to look at, even at 65 MPH.
I fly out of EWR 2x a month minimum. At almost anytime of day and I have not had a Van Wyk experience in over 10 years.

I have been invited to, and went to one, United event near the marina. Basically a free food and wine event for locals (business locals and residents) there were some short speeches from United NYC area VPs who extolled the virtues of having the most premium seats by 1 airline in the NYC area etc, future things to look forward to including more United events with food, wine and entertainment. There will be hundreds of thousands of business people to draw upon along with the extremely wealthy. What a pond United has to fish from! And I’m not including the big and mid level executives living west of the airport.

Last, I have been flying UA to LHR since 1991. And CO also (although nothing was more uncomfortable than the CO BF seats) and a United refurbished 763 is gorgeous inside. NOBODY BUT US WOULD EVER KNOW that the airplane they are on was built when GHW Bush was President! They are almost as beautiful as a 787.
In fact flying to LHR on UA then catching a connection on a Star Alliance parter is SO EASY! Be it LH, LX, LOT, SINGAPORE, THAI, etc etc it is a breeze. The ONLY issue is: if you want to maintain GS status, you must fly US metal.

I agree with you there, I flew EWR-LHR last month and the plane felt brand new inside. I was very happy with the flight, I flew in the new Premium Economy seat (with Economy Plus service) which was quite roomy. They offered me a 499 USD upgrade to Polaris, which in hindsight I should have taken but I had a cold so I doubt I would have slept even with a lie flat so I just bared the 6 hours it took.

Given I am LH FTL and want to maintain that status, I plan on flying UA to EWR again, and as the post says, it's really not hard to go to EWR from Midtown Manhattan, JFK is no closer.

767 feels old? LOL i flew the 772 LHR-SFO unrefurbished, now that felt old! What a terrible flight that was, if only NZ flew to SFO as well as LAX! In fact next time I go to SFO i may even consider flying NZ to LAX with a connection to SFO or LHR via FRA/MUC/ZRH, that's how bad the 772 to LAX is with UA! (I know they have a 77W but I really dont want to fly so early; looks like i may have to if i want to do direct)

VC10er

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 pm

ahmetdouas wrote:
VC10er wrote:
I do not know what UA is doing to take advantage of the massive growth of Manhattan’s west side, from “Billionaire’s Row” near Columbus Circle to the river, Hudson Yards, and the entire Financial District and mostly around 1 World Trade Center as well as the NJ side expansion of the Hudson which is now an enormous skyline of skyscrapers that didn’t exist 15 years ago. Add to that the unbelievable fast and easy surface transportation via Corp car or Uber. On the worst day and time the Holland tunnel ads half an hour. 7 out of 10 trips by car to EWR is with my company driver, Hecham, I am pulling up to Premier Access at TC in 20 to 25 minutes. The Polanski skyway is gorgeous just to look at, even at 65 MPH.
I fly out of EWR 2x a month minimum. At almost anytime of day and I have not had a Van Wyk experience in over 10 years.

I have been invited to, and went to one, United event near the marina. Basically a free food and wine event for locals (business locals and residents) there were some short speeches from United NYC area VPs who extolled the virtues of having the most premium seats by 1 airline in the NYC area etc, future things to look forward to including more United events with food, wine and entertainment. There will be hundreds of thousands of business people to draw upon along with the extremely wealthy. What a pond United has to fish from! And I’m not including the big and mid level executives living west of the airport.

Last, I have been flying UA to LHR since 1991. And CO also (although nothing was more uncomfortable than the CO BF seats) and a United refurbished 763 is gorgeous inside. NOBODY BUT US WOULD EVER KNOW that the airplane they are on was built when GHW Bush was President! They are almost as beautiful as a 787.
In fact flying to LHR on UA then catching a connection on a Star Alliance parter is SO EASY! Be it LH, LX, LOT, SINGAPORE, THAI, etc etc it is a breeze. The ONLY issue is: if you want to maintain GS status, you must fly US metal.

I agree with you there, I flew EWR-LHR last month and the plane felt brand new inside. I was very happy with the flight, I flew in the new Premium Economy seat (with Economy Plus service) which was quite roomy. They offered me a 499 USD upgrade to Polaris, which in hindsight I should have taken but I had a cold so I doubt I would have slept even with a lie flat so I just bared the 6 hours it took.

Given I am LH FTL and want to maintain that status, I plan on flying UA to EWR again, and as the post says, it's really not hard to go to EWR from Midtown Manhattan, JFK is no closer.

767 feels old? LOL i flew the 772 LHR-SFO unrefurbished, now that felt old! What a terrible flight that was, if only NZ flew to SFO as well as LAX! In fact next time I go to SFO i may even consider flying NZ to LAX with a connection to SFO or LHR via FRA/MUC/ZRH, that's how bad the 772 to LAX is with UA! (I know they have a 77W but I really dont want to fly so early; looks like i may have to if i want to do direct)

I think everyone knows, including the United bean counters, that an old, un-refurbished 772 or anything un-refurbished (even if clean and in working order) is unacceptable today. What UA is doing, and as fast as feasible and at enormous expense is to make sure that passengers will no longer write or say what you have said. I realize it’s like watching water boil, but by the time they are all refurbished a 772 & 77W will be almost the same. (Although the bean counters did remove the beautiful branded and sculpted bulkhead which gave the Polaris cabin a very special atmosphere)

Also, there are many taxi top ads United must have paid a fortune on, they digitally display the ride time to EWR vs JFK from where that taxi is at that moment, and take into account current traffic conditions. After a couple of years of looking for one (for kicks) EVEN taxis uptown and East display a shorter time even if by a handful of minutes. Near Hudson Yards or downtown Financial District, the difference in time is VASTLY shorter to EWR.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

VC10er

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 pm

huhang17 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
UA is pretty smart here...they are targeting higher-yield J passengers by having 46 J seats for sale per flight. Then it's 22 premium economy, 52 economy plus, and only 41 economy passengers. UA is intentionally not targeting lower yielding passengers.

As for the B77W that used to go to HKG, that's now going to PVG instead. Another B77W rotation is being added for GRU, along with making EWR-TLV all B77W as B77W/B78X was too little capacity.

The seats map is very good for UA's EWR-LHR, but the 767 fleets are too old(20 years old above), 787 with more J seats/ premium economy is better!

Have you flown a refurbished United 763 yet? For the average person, like my friend Igor who knows nothing about airplanes. I asked him on a trip to LHR (in Polaris) “how old do you think this airplane is?” He looked ALL Varound, and said “this must be a trick question?” I said “sort of”. So he replied “well, to me it looks like the plane is brand new and United just bought it, but I’m going to try and make an outrageous guess and say 3 years?”

The rectangular window did not clue him in, the width of the cabin, nothing. Sure all 787s EWR to LHR would be nice, but if an “almost” 20 year old airplane with no maintenance issues is fully paid off, but looks as good as anything brand new, buy bigger 788/789s at a huge cost?
Plus everyone in Economy is feeling better on a 767.

flyingclrs727

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:07 am

avi8 wrote:
They are converting all flights to high J 767’s. It allows them to serve a very competitive and important route with enough frequency and business class seats. Five daily flights is decent considering they don’t have a partner at LHR. Then again, they aren’t trying to become BA/AA or DL/VS with 9ish daily flights each.

Well they do transfer passengers to other Star Alliance carriers at LHR.

hOMSaR

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:24 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
They are converting all flights to high J 767’s. It allows them to serve a very competitive and important route with enough frequency and business class seats. Five daily flights is decent considering they don’t have a partner at LHR. Then again, they aren’t trying to become BA/AA or DL/VS with 9ish daily flights each.

What *A connections are made from UA at LHR that wouldn’t be more easily done through an actual *A hub?
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

flyingclrs727

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 am

hOMSaR wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

What *A connections are made from UA at LHR that wouldn’t be more easily done through an actual *A hub?

They didn't seem any better or worse, but the prices were better than flying through FRA. I have connected between UA and OS at LHR. Star Alliance has most of its airlines in Terminal 2. Even though there is no home Star Alliance airline at LHR it is still possible to connect there.

skipness1E

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 am

hOMSaR wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Have you seen the actual size of STAR at LHR? They have their own terminal with actual STAR branding at check-in, where United and Air Canada feed heavily onto Lufthansa, Swiss, Austria et al. Why not take advantage of London's massive O&D market in doing so via an airport literally built for flight connections? Compare the AC or UA frequency out of MUC,FRA,ZRH,VIE with what they can offer via LHR.

CriticalPoint

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

UA857 wrote:

Nope won’t make it.

SoEWR

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm

chepos wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Did British Airways use to fly 3 times daily from EWR or is that only in the summer?

Cointrin330

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:16 pm

SoEWR wrote:
chepos wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Did British Airways use to fly 3 times daily from EWR or is that only in the summer?

I think they did, at one point, have 3 flights a day. Not sure if they were seasonal adjustments or year round but for the most part, BA has been 2 x daily for quite some time now. VS had a daytime departure out of EWR for a time, as well as the VS 2 evening flight. Now, they just have 1 x daily.

CriticalPoint

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm

huhang17 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

EWR-LHR is all the reconfigured 763 with a high premium count, more than the 787-10. All the seats are new Polaris and premium economy. It’s a very nice product that I’m sure you would enjoy.

dmstorm22

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:25 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
UA857 wrote:

Nope won’t make it.

Not sure what you mean - due to range?

UA flies the B78X from EWR on routes further than LHR (e.g. FRA)

CriticalPoint

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:46 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
UA857 wrote:

Nope won’t make it.

It was a sarcastic response to a rhetorical question

dmstorm22

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:16 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Nope won’t make it.

It was a sarcastic response to a rhetorical question

My bad, didn't follow it fully.

You never know these days....

oldannyboy

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:35 am

UA857 wrote:
Considering the fact that this route is profitable for United why haven't they not at least upgauge it to a 77W to better off compete with AA, BA, DL and VS?

They might very well be profitable since they fly smaller 767-300ER
aircraft while the competition is flying larger aircraft.

Please comment.

My comment: total fanboy point of view, with not a grain of sense in it. As if flying a bigger 77W would by itself up their game. Not to mention the 77W offers a miserable experience in Y (far worse than the 767) and generally a noisier cabin environment.
***it's not always all about size*** :spin:

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 am

They're really giving up a lot of economy pax with this 5xD Hi-J 763 service. More power to them if it works for them. I don't chase bottom of the barrel fares so I don't really care IMO.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

VC10er

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
They're really giving up a lot of economy pax with this 5xD Hi-J 763 service. More power to them if it works for them. I don't chase bottom of the barrel fares so I don't really care IMO.

I know nothing so take my airline business management with a grain of salt.

There seem to be plenty of Economy seats to London for a good price. If you do not care about staying loyal to 1 airline to either bank miles or gain status, if you view this as a only a seat to get to London for less and do not care about the name of the airline, why try and lure them?

A refurbished United 763ER looks factory new, and while she’s not as exciting to look at vs a 747 or A389, she’s famous for her size. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe all Y seats window & aisle are E+ all the way to the back, you could easily pay for regular Y and be put in an E+ seat.

She is an amazing airplane for a Premium flier. And the consistency of all 5 flights is great. Until her true replacement comes along, these old but brand new 763’s are perfect. Let “WOW” or “Norwegian” and even a BA jumbo meet the demand for price sensitive fliers.
It’s also not just college backpackers or medium to low income families. I know a multimillionaire who only flies Economy to London because it kills him to give any airline many thousands of dollars for a 6/7 hour flight. United should let him fly Norwegian!
They want me 10 years ago flying 150,000 to 200,000 miles a year in business paid for by clients and company contracts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos