Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
FlyRow
Topic Author
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Updated: KLM delays AUS until March 2021

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 am

KLM will fly to austin 3x a week with a A330-300, starting may 4th 2020. KLM's 11th USA destination and 16th North American destinatio.

Flight times:
KL667 AMS 12.40 AUS 16.10
KL668 AUS 18.00 AMS 10.25 +1

No info on days yet.

As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.

Source: https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-opent-lijndienst-naar-austin-in-texas?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:20 am

Didn’t expect that so quickly, or by KLM. Nice job AUS.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
dirk88
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:20 am

FlyRow wrote:
As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.


A BRU frequency?
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:31 am

Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Topic Author
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:35 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


It's done in the JV so DL sure would have a say in this new route. The jv has a large amount of a incremental 3-4 weekly extra flights added to a partnered destination.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
jplatts
Posts: 3611
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 pm

FlyRow wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


It's done in the JV so DL sure would have a say in this new route. The jv has a large amount of a incremental 3-4 weekly extra flights added to a partnered destination.


KL already has nonstop service out of AMS on its own metal to a few other non-DL hub airports in the US such as ORD, IAH, LAS, SFO, and IAD.
 
jhsusman
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Surprised they went with AUS over DEN. . . even with AUS being a Delta focus city. . .
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:31 pm

dirk88 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.


A BRU frequency?


Probably. I wonder what the other 4x will be allocated to?

AUS sure is booming. From no transatlantic routes to now three in the span of what, five years?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Congrats to KLM and Austin!

Anyone else feel like Air France may drop DFW in favor of AUS? :stirthepot:
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Congrats AUS! TATL service from all three major alliances is very impressive.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8034
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Congrats to KLM and Austin!

Anyone else feel like Air France may drop DFW in favor of AUS? :stirthepot:


Not anybody who is reasonably informed. Look at the relative market sizes, even in the face of AA competition at DFW.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14473
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm

jhsusman wrote:
Surprised they went with AUS over DEN. . . even with AUS being a Delta focus city. . .


The post below yours answers your question, I think. AUS is growing like crazy and remains underserved to Europe, especially when you consider the geography of the airport vis a vis San Antonio.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Jetty
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Congrats to KLM and Austin!

Anyone else feel like Air France may drop DFW in favor of AUS? :stirthepot:


Not anybody who is reasonably informed. Look at the relative market sizes, even in the face of AA competition at DFW.

Yet KL did exactly that in the span of 2 years. Not saying AF will follow suit but apparently it isn't as unthinkable as you make it seem.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Skyteam's TATL presence is quite impressive:
They operate US TATL flights from, SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, LAS, SLC, IAH, AUS, DFW, MSP, ORD, IND, DTW, CVG, RDU, ATL, MCO, TPA, MIA, BOS, JFK, & IAD

That's 22 airports, which I believe is pretty close to BA
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
dirk88 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.


A BRU frequency?


Probably. I wonder what the other 4x will be allocated to?

AUS sure is booming. From no transatlantic routes to now three in the span of what, five years?


AMS-HAV is being cut
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
dirk88 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.


A BRU frequency?


Probably. I wonder what the other 4x will be allocated to?

AUS sure is booming. From no transatlantic routes to now three in the span of what, five years?


Four TATL routes BA to LHR started in 2014, DI to LGW started in 2018, LH to FRA started in 2019 and KL to AMS starts in 2020.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Someone83
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Still no press release from KLM?
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Topic Author
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Still no press release from KLM?


Luchtvaartnieuws is a credible source, they are quoting Pieter Elbers (CEO) directly. I suppose a announcement will be made shortly by klm.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 656
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes here’s a more official source from the blue itself.

https://news.klm.com/klm-sees-music-in-austin/
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
Still no press release from KLM?


Luchtvaartnieuws is a credible source, they are quoting Pieter Elbers (CEO) directly. I suppose a announcement will be made shortly by klm.


https://news.klm.com/klm-sees-music-in-austin/

Did you look on KLM's website by chance?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Sightseer
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:04 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Congrats to AUS and KL! I'm a bit surprised it isn't DL, but they don't do many 3x weekly TATL flights, so perhaps KL is better suited to operate at a lower frequency.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Surprised this is on KL metal and not a 5x weekly DL 767 or something.

Anyway, congrats to AUS. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the beginning of a expanded DL/SkyTeam presence in AUS. It would be nice to see some connections eventually feed this flight.

Jetty wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Congrats to KLM and Austin!

Anyone else feel like Air France may drop DFW in favor of AUS? :stirthepot:


Not anybody who is reasonably informed. Look at the relative market sizes, even in the face of AA competition at DFW.

Yet KL did exactly that in the span of 2 years. Not saying AF will follow suit but apparently it isn't as unthinkable as you make it seem.


I think AUS-CDG will be added later down the road on DL metal.
 
FlyingHollander
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:20 pm

FlyRow wrote:
As AMS is full, it's interesting to find out what route or frequency is cut to make this one possible.
Midwestindy wrote:
AMS-HAV is being cut

It won't be served this summer, but will restart October 27th:
https://luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/cate ... aar-havana (Dutch)
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14473
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Jetty wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Congrats to KLM and Austin!

Anyone else feel like Air France may drop DFW in favor of AUS? :stirthepot:


Not anybody who is reasonably informed. Look at the relative market sizes, even in the face of AA competition at DFW.

Yet KL did exactly that in the span of 2 years. Not saying AF will follow suit but apparently it isn't as unthinkable as you make it seem.


Yes, but it's not really a matter of dropping DFW in favor of AUS but rather a matter of the market dynamics at DFW -- where non-Oneworld longhaul is difficult -- and AUS.

If KL had opened RDU or IND, no one would even suggesting that they had "dropped DFW in favor of IND/RDU."
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Congrats to AUS!

Pretty wild that they're starting this with such a relatively large aircraft, in a year where the market is widely expected to be more bearish than previous. Certainly wish to see this succeed though!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Press release says service will be Mon/Thur/Sat .
Happy for Austin to get more trans-Atlantic service!
 
TexStones
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
...especially when you consider the geography of the airport vis a vis San Antonio.


All of this growth up the road in "little brother" Austin has got to make the city and airport leadership in San Antonio a bit nutty. The Austin/San Antonio growth split is Exhibit 1 for illustrating the importance of corporate presence, demographic profile, and disposable income in the grand route selection equation.
 
76er
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Pretty wild that they're starting this with such a relatively large aircraft


Well, if needed KL can always downgauge to an A332 should bookings turn out to be lower than expected.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10158
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:50 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Surprised this is on KL metal and not a 5x weekly DL 767 or something.

I would be surprised to see DL add any TATL from AUS in the short term. AUS is still a relatively small station for DL and they will be tied up expanding TATL from BOS over the next few years so aircraft will be hard to find.
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:16 pm

TexStones wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
...especially when you consider the geography of the airport vis a vis San Antonio.


All of this growth up the road in "little brother" Austin has got to make the city and airport leadership in San Antonio a bit nutty. The Austin/San Antonio growth split is Exhibit 1 for illustrating the importance of corporate presence, demographic profile, and disposable income in the grand route selection equation.


Yea population means nothing if the people can't afford to fly. You have to look at existing TATL pax that are connecting as well as disposable income and corporate travel.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Surprised this is on KL metal and not a 5x weekly DL 767 or something.

I would be surprised to see DL add any TATL from AUS in the short term. AUS is still a relatively small station for DL and they will be tied up expanding TATL from BOS over the next few years so aircraft will be hard to find.


Maybe, but I think DL will do AUS-CDG on their own metal sooner or later (not for a few years though). If you look closely, DL/SkyTeam has a pretty unique opportunity in AUS if they choose to take it. It wouldn’t surprise me if they follow a similar playbook to SEA/BOS here.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Well I did not see this one coming.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style
 
FSDan
Posts: 3313
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:35 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


Were you also disappointed that it was BA and not AA that started BNA-LHR and PIT-LHR last year, or is this just a DL thing?

DL next year is adding a JFK-LHR frequency, a BOS-CDG frequency, BOS-MAN, BOS-LGW, and BOS-FCO to its transatlantic network. It has also made SLC-LHR a year-round route and is extending the seasons on some other transatlantic routes. So DL appears to be expanding transatlantic flying on their own metal, but not from every destination.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
WN732
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 pm

FSDan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


Were you also disappointed that it was BA and not AA that started BNA-LHR and PIT-LHR last year, or is this just a DL thing?

DL next year is adding a JFK-LHR frequency, a BOS-CDG frequency, BOS-MAN, BOS-LGW, and BOS-FCO to its transatlantic network. It has also made SLC-LHR a year-round route and is extending the seasons on some other transatlantic routes. So DL appears to be expanding transatlantic flying on their own metal, but not from every destination.


I'm surprised that you would be disappointed in having yet another flag carrier at AUS. KL has an edge on DL when it comes to transatlantic service and I don't see why that is a negative for Austin.
 
Flanker7
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm

I don't understand this obsesivnes about Delta not flying this route instead of KLM.
Flying blue only if possible
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm

So now DL and JV partners (KL/AM/WS) now serve from Austin: AMS, ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, JFK, LAX, MEX, MSP, RDU, SEA, SLC, and YYC. Will be interesting to see the next adds DL makes for the focus city, BNA? IND?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
TexStones
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:06 pm

While I am thrilled to see my home airport get more transatlantic service, I confess that I am concerned that this may be a case of too much, too soon. What are the chances that overcapacity might lead to two or more TATL carriers throwing up their hands and abandoning the market?

If we lose LHR service, I may riot (politely, of course).
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:15 pm

So tell me, what does AUS have that it's attracting foreign airlines?
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14473
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm

WN732 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


Were you also disappointed that it was BA and not AA that started BNA-LHR and PIT-LHR last year, or is this just a DL thing?

DL next year is adding a JFK-LHR frequency, a BOS-CDG frequency, BOS-MAN, BOS-LGW, and BOS-FCO to its transatlantic network. It has also made SLC-LHR a year-round route and is extending the seasons on some other transatlantic routes. So DL appears to be expanding transatlantic flying on their own metal, but not from every destination.


I'm surprised that you would be disappointed in having yet another flag carrier at AUS. KL has an edge on DL when it comes to transatlantic service and I don't see why that is a negative for Austin.


Where do you see KL ahead of DL service-wise? Certainly DL's hard product is better.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
airbazar
Posts: 10158
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:30 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
airbazar wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Surprised this is on KL metal and not a 5x weekly DL 767 or something.

I would be surprised to see DL add any TATL from AUS in the short term. AUS is still a relatively small station for DL and they will be tied up expanding TATL from BOS over the next few years so aircraft will be hard to find.


Maybe, but I think DL will do AUS-CDG on their own metal sooner or later (not for a few years though). If you look closely, DL/SkyTeam has a pretty unique opportunity in AUS if they choose to take it. It wouldn’t surprise me if they follow a similar playbook to SEA/BOS here.


CDG-AUS has AF 789 written all over it, IMO.
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Sightseer wrote:
Congrats to AUS and KL! I'm a bit surprised it isn't DL, but they don't do many 3x weekly TATL flights, so perhaps KL is better suited to operate at a lower frequency.


KLM is better suited for lower frequency operations to DL outstations. DL would have to rotate an aircraft through AMS, which would mean they won't have a plane for another route on those 3 days a week. It would work if DL dropped a frequency in the winter (say one of the AMS-DTW went down to 4X per week) but its otherwise difficult to run b/c the days would have to all match up, etc. etc. Also, DL doesn't have an AUS crew base (yet) and that means they would have to also do a W pattern with the crew just like the aircraft itself. All of that scheduling is hard and therefore its just much easier to have the partner manage the route.

And I should note that DL is the most likely to be running a TATL flight from an outstation.

DL actually runs a ton more flights out of JV partner hubs than AA and UA do. AA has a base at LHR (from the old TWA days) but even then they don't operate a ton of service from LHR to non hubs (RDU springs as one of the few examples) and I don't think they operate any non-hub flying from MAD. UA similarly doesn't operate much service from FRA/MUC/ZRH beyond their own hubs.
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:47 pm

WN732 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Disappointed to see this flight not operated on Delta metal since AUS was recently named a DL focus city. But why fly it on your own metal when you can have a partner do it instead and share the revenue. Delta's international strategy sure is interesting. Anyways, good for AUS. What a boomtown.


Were you also disappointed that it was BA and not AA that started BNA-LHR and PIT-LHR last year, or is this just a DL thing?

DL next year is adding a JFK-LHR frequency, a BOS-CDG frequency, BOS-MAN, BOS-LGW, and BOS-FCO to its transatlantic network. It has also made SLC-LHR a year-round route and is extending the seasons on some other transatlantic routes. So DL appears to be expanding transatlantic flying on their own metal, but not from every destination.


I'm surprised that you would be disappointed in having yet another flag carrier at AUS. KL has an edge on DL when it comes to transatlantic service and I don't see why that is a negative for Austin.


How does KLM have an edge on DL when it comes to transatlantic service? Have you actually flown DL across the pond recently?
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:50 pm

TexStones wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
...especially when you consider the geography of the airport vis a vis San Antonio.


All of this growth up the road in "little brother" Austin has got to make the city and airport leadership in San Antonio a bit nutty. The Austin/San Antonio growth split is Exhibit 1 for illustrating the importance of corporate presence, demographic profile, and disposable income in the grand route selection equation.


Absolutely. While San Antonio is the more populous city, Austin is where the money's at hence all the flights. I really do feel bad for SAT though. They can't even maintain flights to YYZ or BOS while AUS now has flights to LHR, LGW, FRA, and soon AMS.
Last edited by TransWorldOne on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 pm

berari wrote:
So tell me, what does AUS have that it's attracting foreign airlines?


AUS is a HQ or large outpost for lots of large companies, Dell, Amazon, Samsung, Oracle, Apple, IBM, e.t.c

TexStones wrote:
While I am thrilled to see my home airport get more transatlantic service, I confess that I am concerned that this may be a case of too much, too soon. What are the chances that overcapacity might lead to two or more TATL carriers throwing up their hands and abandoning the market?

If we lose LHR service, I may riot (politely, of course).


LHR isn't going anywhere
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:58 pm

berari wrote:
So tell me, what does AUS have that it's attracting foreign airlines?


(Incentives)
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
berari wrote:
So tell me, what does AUS have that it's attracting foreign airlines?


AUS is a HQ or large outpost for lots of large companies, Dell, Amazon, Samsung, Oracle, Apple, IBM, e.t.c

TexStones wrote:
While I am thrilled to see my home airport get more transatlantic service, I confess that I am concerned that this may be a case of too much, too soon. What are the chances that overcapacity might lead to two or more TATL carriers throwing up their hands and abandoning the market?

If we lose LHR service, I may riot (politely, of course).


LHR isn't going anywhere


Not to mention lots of young people with good amounts of disposable income and for some reason Europeans like the visit Austin as well.

LHR isn't going anywhere, I think LGW on DI being the most likely to fold.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5005
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 pm

TexStones wrote:
While I am thrilled to see my home airport get more transatlantic service, I confess that I am concerned that this may be a case of too much, too soon. What are the chances that overcapacity might lead to two or more TATL carriers throwing up their hands and abandoning the market?

If we lose LHR service, I may riot (politely, of course).


Actually Austin is doing this right. Get everything you can while the market is ripe and then let fall away what doesn't stick. It's better to land as many new flights as you can than not to get them at all fearing there may be to much capacity to sustain said service.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
HP69
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

I'm surprised AMS is coming before CDG.
 
HP69
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

I would have thought DEN is next in line for AMS service, not AUS.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: KLM starts AUS S20

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:31 pm

N717TW wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
Congrats to AUS and KL! I'm a bit surprised it isn't DL, but they don't do many 3x weekly TATL flights, so perhaps KL is better suited to operate at a lower frequency.


KLM is better suited for lower frequency operations to DL outstations. DL would have to rotate an aircraft through AMS, which would mean they won't have a plane for another route on those 3 days a week. It would work if DL dropped a frequency in the winter (say one of the AMS-DTW went down to 4X per week) but its otherwise difficult to run b/c the days would have to all match up, etc. etc. Also, DL doesn't have an AUS crew base (yet) and that means they would have to also do a W pattern with the crew just like the aircraft itself. All of that scheduling is hard and therefore its just much easier to have the partner manage the route.

And I should note that DL is the most likely to be running a TATL flight from an outstation.

DL actually runs a ton more flights out of JV partner hubs than AA and UA do. AA has a base at LHR (from the old TWA days) but even then they don't operate a ton of service from LHR to non hubs (RDU springs as one of the few examples) and I don't think they operate any non-hub flying from MAD. UA similarly doesn't operate much service from FRA/MUC/ZRH beyond their own hubs.


I have to think DL will someday have a crew base in AUS and will do CDG on their own metal at some point. With KL coming, the new Sky Club and VS expressing interest in the market, it's clear DL/SkyTeam has its eyes on the market. Like I said above, DL could probably follow a similar playbook to BOS/SEA here. Given all the new gates AUS will be building in the next decade or so, DL could probably take a good chunk of those.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos