Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rj777
Topic Author

Sheboygan airport getting int'l traffic- who?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 pm

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/sh ... al-traffic

Sheboygan is preparing for a customs building. Who would go to Sheboygan and why would they chose Sheboygan over MKE?

ual763

Re: Sheboygan airport getting int'l traffic- who?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:32 pm

rj777 wrote:
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/sheboygan-airport-gears-up-to-welcome-international-traffic

Sheboygan is preparing for a customs building. Who would go to Sheboygan and why would they chose Sheboygan over MKE?

Private jets and various other GA aircraft from Canada. Sheboygan has some large companies such as Kohler. Also, some damn nice golf courses nearby. So they will get business jets from all over come to play golf for the day. My original hometown of KISW gets many jets a day now after a new world-class golf course opened up nearby. And they don’t even have customs. Add customs, and you then get business jets from Canada, Mexico, etc. But, this is most likely so Kohler and other larger businesses in the region can fly direct to here when overseas instead of having to clear customs in MKE and then fly up to Sheboygan.

Would be nice if a single gate terminal would also be built so that a twice daily flight to ORD/MSP could operate into Sheboygan.
From flying to the NOTAM office

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm

That’s the answer alright. Kohler has big connections, so could make this happen. Not just Canada, from just about anywhere.

GF

rj777
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Can private and GA planes pre-clear customs in Canada or is that only commercial airliners?

ual763

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 pm

rj777 wrote:
Can private and GA planes pre-clear customs in Canada or is that only commercial airliners?

I don’t think so. I believe the TSA pre-clear customs are only in the terminals at select Canadian airports. I don’t think the FBO’s have them.

commpilot

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 pm

Kohler has a Global Express and G4...Europe and Asia. Not to mention Whistling Straights Golf Course is world renowned. The project was green lighted by the old governor.
Last edited by commpilot on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

qf2220

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 pm

Sheboygan - thanks to Uncle Buck this Australian knows where it is!

masonh2479

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 pm

I fly into Sheboygan a lot and they get a lot of private jet traffic. Appleton has customs too even though there is little chance they will ever get commercial intl service. It is all for GA

caliboy93

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 pm

Will Sheboygan be the next JFK? :)

mga707

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 pm

ual763 wrote:
rj777 wrote:
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/sheboygan-airport-gears-up-to-welcome-international-traffic

Private jets and various other GA aircraft from Canada. Sheboygan has some large companies such as Kohler.

Sargento Cheese is once such company. HQ is in Plymouth, just west of the airport.

GoSteelers

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 am

Get it built before the Ryder Cup September 2020?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:51 am

ual763 wrote:
rj777 wrote:

I don’t think so. I believe the TSA pre-clear customs are only in the terminals at select Canadian airports. I don’t think the FBO’s have them.

GA can in many foreign airports like DUB, BDA, but not the Canadian airports. Really no need to and it would waste a lot of time.

ual763

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:05 am

GoSteelers wrote:
Get it built before the Ryder Cup September 2020?

After reading the article, that seems to be the plan.

knope2001

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:16 am

It's primarily golf.. No surprise they are planning to have the facility online ahead of Whistling Straits hosting the Ryder Cup next September.

Sheboygan (SBM) is the third-busiest airport in Wisconsin behind MKE and MSN -- 65k annual operations puts it just ahead of OSH. There's a solid corporate presence but golf traffic makes a definite mark. The Kohler Company's American Club resort has four public courses in Golf Digest's top 100 -- numbers 3, 15, 43 and 57. Wisconsin has ten of the top 100, nearby Michigan nine more, so golfer from outside the US could fly into SBM to golf and have a ton of top-rated courses only a quick hop away.

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/amer ... es-ranking

Kohler has ample political sway so it's not big shock they'd push for this. However it's not terribly unreasonable. They shelled out money for a special exit off the freeway which is only used for big golf tour events they get every few years, so in comparison this is something which will be used a whole lot more and not just for golf-related traffic.

As for commercial service at SBM that's probably a non-starter. Without traffic Kohler is 1 hour from MKE and 2 hours from ORD. Sheboygan had commuter service to O'Hare from the late 60's until about 1980 and then American Central tried it again in 1983/1984 but couldn't make it work. If it didn't work when LCC's were rare and 19-seat props were widespread and profitable, it won't work today.

bakestar

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:35 am

qf2220 wrote:

HAHAHAHA, had the exact same though! Maybe rename it the 'Sheboygan-Uncle Buck International Airport'
fly'nhi

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:34 am

Another statistic I hear a lot (I live about 45 minutes from Sheboygan and spend time in Kohler - I actually buy much of my beef and pork meat for my household in Kohler):

Many golfers travel out of their home state to golf at courses in other states.... The golf tourist...

I've been told for years that Wisconsin is the #2 golf destination for these golfers in the USA... and the courses are only open 7 months of the year (at best).

Golf tourism is HUGE here. Now there are other golf tourist hot spots in Wisconsin as well... But, the golf courses that Kohler has built get more than their fair share of it. (the company and the town is named after the family),

Have a great day,

DocLightning

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 am

qf2220 wrote:

There's one in Michigan, too, which is what I thought this was about and I was *really* confused.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

qf2220

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

DocLightning wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

There's one in Michigan, too, which is what I thought this was about and I was *really* confused.

Minor point of clarification - it is thanks to John Candy in Home Alone that this Australian knows Sheboygan.

And TIL there are more than 1 Sheboygans.

mke717spotter

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:43 am

Batten Field in Racine also has a customs facility that opened in 2016.

https://journaltimes.com/business/local ... 2c3d7.html
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

tjwgrr

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:31 pm

DocLightning wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Except that it's spelled Cheboygan in Michigan.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

drdisque

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 pm

SBM also serves as a logical uncongested point of entry for GA aircraft from Greater Toronto that are flying to any field without customs West of there or who need a fuel stop. For example, it's directly on the YYZ-LAX GC route and not far off the YYZ-DEN route.

Other GA-friendly entry points in the area such as PTK, DPA, MKE and LAN can be a little expensive. RFD is a long taxi to the customs facility.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos