Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HP69
Topic Author

German Aviation Thread 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34 pm

I thought I should start a German Aviation thread for those of us following the industry in Germany. Some predictions for potential S20 adds:

LH FRA-PDX
LH MUC-EZE
UA EWR-DUS/HAM
DL LAX-FRA

Ishrion

Re: German Aviation Thread 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Announcements for 2020 so far:

Lufthansa:
FRA-YOW
MUC-BLR/SEA/DTW

Eurowings:
MUC-MCO/LAS
FRA-PHX/ANC

marcogr12

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Laudamotion announced five new destinations ex-STR for S20:VLC,SVQ,OPO,PMO,HER...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

BA744PHX

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 am

Isn't LH done with their S20 announcements? Are they known for making multiple?

Ishrion

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:33 am

BA744PHX wrote:

I’m sure there will be more if there’s additional planned routes...

Eurowings announced its FRA-LAS route sometime in early-mid 2019, and it’ll start next month.

Although, this expansion seems to be rather large compared to routes announced in 2018? Wasn’t AUS the only North American route?

klm617

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:45 am

I think the following adds should get some serious consideration. There is a lot of automotive traffic on these sectors

DL DTW-DUS
DL DTW-STR
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

WingsOfLove

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 am

klm617 wrote:
I think the following adds should get some serious consideration. There is a lot of automotive traffic on these sectors

DL DTW-DUS
DL DTW-STR

way to go DL!

max999

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 am

Ishrion wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

I’m sure there will be more if there’s additional planned routes...

Eurowings announced its FRA-LAS route sometime in early-mid 2019, and it’ll start next month.

Although, this expansion seems to be rather large compared to routes announced in 2018? Wasn’t AUS the only North American route?

I thought LH announced Eurowings will stop flying long haul because the airline is losing money and needs to be restructured. If that's true, why the new LAS route?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

canmau

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 am

They are taking Eurowings out of long-haul operationally behind the scenes (i.e only SN and XG operated aircraft), but the brand will remain and there won't be a noticeable difference for passengers, as far as I'm aware.

Blerg

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 am

EW also announced three weekly STR-BEG for next summer going up against JU from STR and W6 from FKB.

How is Eurowings doing overall? On another forum some time ago someone mentioned they were making cuts to their network.

Blerg

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 am

Alitalia to boost its German network from Milan Linate.

Daily flights to both CGN and STR operated by E75.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... te-in-w19/

marcogr12

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:23 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Laudamotion announced five new destinations ex-STR for S20:VLC,SVQ,OPO,PMO,CHQ...

I stand corrected

DLHAM

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:42 am

HP69 wrote:
UA EWR-DUS/HAM

NYC-HAM definitely has a lot of potential, but I dont think that UA will be the airline operating it as they just dropped HAM last year, after they scewed it up, transforming a sucessful, long lasting flight to a flight many passengers dont want to take anymore.

I think Delta is the most likely candidate, or Emirates it they manage to get permission to fly DXB-HAM-JFK.
Another possibility is JetBlue once they get A321XLRs (have they ordered them?).
My Instagram Account: Instagram

AlexA340B777

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Any idea or rumors if Qatar Airways is planning to fly to DUS in the near future?
6 continents, 85 countries, 746 flights, 90 airlines, 37 aircraft types

787X30

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:41 pm

DLHAM wrote:
... or Emirates it they manage to get permission to fly DXB-HAM-JFK.

They have it already, flew it already, failed it already.

Judge1310

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:41 pm

DLHAM wrote:
HP69 wrote:
UA EWR-DUS/HAM

NYC-HAM definitely has a lot of potential, but I dont think that UA will be the airline operating it as they just dropped HAM last year, after they scewed it up, transforming a sucessful, long lasting flight to a flight many passengers dont want to take anymore.

I think Delta is the most likely candidate, or Emirates it they manage to get permission to fly DXB-HAM-JFK.
Another possibility is JetBlue once they get A321XLRs (have they ordered them?).

UA didn't screw anything up on that route, HAM is just a strange duck. TXL works wonderfully and has been operated similarly to HAM over history. HAM customers are just accustomed to connecting through FRA and MUC to go to the US and, as such, LH will always be on the radar of HAM customers. Don't get me wrong, I was a FQTV on the HAM-EWR flight loved having a non-stop to the US as it allowed me to not have to stand up at an early hour to make a flight to FRA. Unfortunately, with connections to the States available via AMS, FRA, MUC, CPH, ARN, CDG, and LHR, the traveller/economic climate just couldn't (wouldn't?) support a premium non-stop to the States. The right aircraft type for the route has not yet been introduced, it seems? One must also ask: why can't HAM even support a flight to Asia?

Avianca

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Any chance that LH increase their SJO flights?

Cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

max999

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
HP69 wrote:
UA EWR-DUS/HAM

UA didn't screw anything up on that route, HAM is just a strange duck. TXL works wonderfully and has been operated similarly to HAM over history. HAM customers are just accustomed to connecting through FRA and MUC to go to the US and, as such, LH will always be on the radar of HAM customers. Don't get me wrong, I was a FQTV on the HAM-EWR flight loved having a non-stop to the US as it allowed me to not have to stand up at an early hour to make a flight to FRA. Unfortunately, with connections to the States available via AMS, FRA, MUC, CPH, ARN, CDG, and LHR, the traveller/economic climate just couldn't (wouldn't?) support a premium non-stop to the States. The right aircraft type for the route has not yet been introduced, it seems? One must also ask: why can't HAM even support a flight to Asia?

Hamburg has a second, and much better connected airport called Knuffingen Airport. The location is more convenient... It's in the city center. ;)

Here's a link to a video I took of Knuffingen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbZyv6TDLYn42DjC6

All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

WingsOfLove

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:04 pm

max999 wrote:
Hamburg has a second, and much better connected airport called Knuffingen Airport. The location is more convenient... It's in the city center. ;)

Here's a link to a video I took of Knuffingen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbZyv6TDLYn42DjC6

:bigthumbsup:

DLHAM

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:54 pm

max999 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

Thats true, maybe next time In should just try to board a plane to the US there :D also much cheaper this way.

DLHAM

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Judge1310 wrote:

The flight worked perfectly fine over a decade, year round, with year-average load factors of 90%+. The trouble started when United switched to 180 seat 767s (just some 15 more than the 757, what should mean a horrible CASM) with more than outdated cabins and, much worse, these planes were broken all the time. There was not even one week without a several hours technical delay plus one or more AOGs every month. That one morning we had three UA 767s sitting in HAM, two of them AOG. Then cutting the flight to seasonal was the next and final thing, HAM does not work seasonal from the US.

HAM could support a flight to Asia, for example passenger Numbers to BKK, PVG or SIN are high enough. PVG has a 60% share of passengers traveling for Business, SIN 36%, BKK not so much obviously.

But: a flight to China is not possible because of missing traffic rights.
SIN: SQ just started DUS and BER through Scoot in the last few years, HAM would be number 5 in Germany. But passenger Numbers from HAM to SIN are almost as high as from DUS, and DUS has a nonstop flight. (2018 PDEW HAM-SIN 70, DUS-SIN 84).
BKK: in an Interview last year the Thai CEO said that MAD, MAN and HAM are on their radar for Europe expansion. But we all know about their financial situation.

Also Emirates is a factor, already flying A380s to HAM. And the relationship between HAM and EK is good, maybe too good.

Judge1310

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 pm

DLHAM wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

The flight worked perfectly fine over a decade, year round, with year-average load factors of 90%+. The trouble started when United switched to 180 seat 767s (just some 15 more than the 757, what should mean a horrible CASM) with more than outdated cabins and, much worse, these planes were broken all the time. There was not even one week without a several hours technical delay plus one or more AOGs every month. That one morning we had three UA 767s sitting in HAM, two of them AOG. Then cutting the flight to seasonal was the next and final thing, HAM does not work seasonal from the US.

HAM could support a flight to Asia, for example passenger Numbers to BKK, PVG or SIN are high enough. PVG has a 60% share of passengers traveling for Business, SIN 36%, BKK not so much obviously.

But: a flight to China is not possible because of missing traffic rights.
SIN: SQ just started DUS and BER through Scoot in the last few years, HAM would be number 5 in Germany. But passenger Numbers from HAM to SIN are almost as high as from DUS, and DUS has a nonstop flight. (2018 PDEW HAM-SIN 70, DUS-SIN 84).
BKK: in an Interview last year the Thai CEO said that MAD, MAN and HAM are on their radar for Europe expansion. But we all know about their financial situation.

Also Emirates is a factor, already flying A380s to HAM. And the relationship between HAM and EK is good, maybe too good.

A fair and lovely response, yes. But it still did not address my comparison with TXL. Both TXL and HAM were served similarly, i.e., with 757s that would incur winter-time penalties and then subsequently upgauged to 767s. The 757s used to HAM and TXL by UA operate in a 14/153 config whereas the 767s used operated in a 29/178 config which would mean a net increase of 15/25 which equals 40 seats total. Thus it wasn't CASM (not so important, though, as RASM) that was an issue here. You would know that TXL and HAM are only a couple hours, on a good day, driving distance, and 1:35 on ICE trains. Again, I will say, that HAM is just (und werde immer sein!) a strange market for Western Hemisphere aviation. Without the distinction of being a Capital city (a la Berlin), nor commercial megapower (als Frankfurt), nor manufacturing juggernaut (like Munich), nor massive East Asian diaspora and massive catchment area (such as DUS/CGN/Ruhrgebiet), HAM must stand on its own and, until the right-size aircraft comes around, will have to deal with connecting one-stop to the rest of the World.

I dream that UA will re-enter the HAM market with a non-stop to the US. Alas, I have recognised that I will just have to enjoy my short hops (that I enjoy!) on LH from either FRA or MUC in the meantime.

WingsOfLove

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 pm

NUE will become Corendon's largest German base with 2 ac by summer 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/airports/6 ... on-at-nue/

Hit hard by the shut down of Airberlin & Germania, NUE is gaining momentum.

DLHAM

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 am

Judge1310 wrote:
The 757s used to HAM and TXL by UA operate in a 14/153 config whereas the 767s used operated in a 29/178 config which would mean a net increase of 15/25 which equals 40 seats total. Thus it wasn't CASM (not so important, though, as RASM) that was an issue here.
I dream that UA will re-enter the HAM market with a non-stop to the US. Alas, I have recognised that I will just have to enjoy my short hops (that I enjoy!) on LH from either FRA or MUC in the meantime.

A very large part of the flights (at least half of them) were operated by 6/26/147 767s, where the 6 First Class seats were sold as Business. A 13 seat difference to the 15/150 757. The seats blocked for crew rest are already subtracted.

Yeah, I also hope very much to be able to fly to the US nonstop again soon! So you visit HAM regularly from the US? I dont think that it would be UA to reenter the market, Delta or even American seem more likely. Or Emirates if they manage to get permission, once they operate 787/330neo.

787X30

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:52 pm

DLHAM wrote:
Or Emirates if they manage to get permission, once they operate 787/330neo.

EK have all permission they could want.

DLHAM

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:05 pm

787X30 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

No, they have the 5th freedom rights but still need an approval on top, from the German Department of Transportation to start such route.
"We" learnt that after Tim Clark said he could imagine restarting the HAM-JFK route because they think it would be profitable. But he also said that they need another permission and the German Lobby would prevent this. The Major of Hamburg said he wanted to talk to the German Minister of Transport about this. This was said in January or February ... Never heard anything about it since then. :grumpy:

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-hamburg-new-york/

787X30

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Ah, the German Lobby.

(Your link holds no info to support your claim.)

WingsOfLove

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

it's been 30 years

https://www.airliners.de/30-jahre-mauer ... ahrt/34077

there's a cool video from just before the wall came down for all avgeeks :D

WingsOfLove

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:18 pm

German longhaul to vacation destinations could soon become more competitive. Tuifly Deutschland, which currently only deploys Boeing 737 is looking to expand.

https://www.airliners.de/deutsche-tuifl ... uege/52117

WingsOfLove

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 pm

EU Ok's $419M loan for Condor

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... e-66257349

This will buy time to undo the relationship with Thomas Cook Group plc and hopefully find new investors.

DUSZRH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:35 pm

DLHAM wrote:
787X30 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

No, they have the 5th freedom rights but still need an approval on top, from the German Department of Transportation to start such route.
"We" learnt that after Tim Clark said he could imagine restarting the HAM-JFK route because they think it would be profitable. But he also said that they need another permission and the German Lobby would prevent this. The Major of Hamburg said he wanted to talk to the German Minister of Transport about this. This was said in January or February ... Never heard anything about it since then. :grumpy:

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-hamburg-new-york/

If I remember the Abendblatt article correctly, EK wants additional rights to the 5th freedom one’s to make the flights profitable. I think it was about selling connections/interlining within Germany/Europe, which they are not allowed to currently.

WingsOfLove

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
I think it was about selling connections/interlining within Germany/Europe, which they are not allowed to currently.

I totally get Hamburg backing EK, but why should Germany grant the full suite of 5th freedom to a country / airline that doesn't come close in market seize and commercial opportunities for its airlines?

DUSZRH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 pm

It is not 5th freedom though, but full kabotage. Never going to happen.

The big problem for HAM is, is that the market is germancentric, and with the recent developments in FRA,LHR,AMS,... there are so many markets that are reachable via European hubs (which is generally more convenient than connecting in the US), that the value generated by more connecting opportunities became minuscule. And it seems that the market NYC-HAM by its own does not pay enough nonstop premium that it seems worthwhile (also not for EK).

WingsOfLove

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
FRA,LHR,AMS,... there are so many markets that are reachable via European hubs

Yes, network carriers like LH need to feed their hubs and even with cabotage, an EK widebody is too much capacity, but I could see an airline like Jetblue make a run for it from BOS or JFK with an A321LR.

Blerg

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm

What is EW planning this winter as far as German flying goes now that they were kicked out of Austria?

CarbonFibre

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Any plans for more A340 flights to DUB etc?

WingsOfLove

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:32 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Any plans for more A340 flights to DUB etc?

had no idea...

https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-a340-dublin/

very cool

A321Lufthansa

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Why did LH send D-AIKM (A333) for storage to TEV? Low season?
Last flown aircrafts: A21N TC-LSF < B738 TC-JVY < E190 D-AECF < B77W VP-BGC < A320 VP-BOM < A320 VQ-BES < A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII

davidjohnson6

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 pm

I understand that tax on flights is expected to increase from April 2020 - with an intention to encourage people to go by train instead of air when travelling domestically

The routes to the islands off the north coast of Germany clearly have ship rather than train as the competitor to flying (Sylt of course being a bit different)
Are flights to places like Borkum and Langeoog subject to the tax, and will flights on these very short routes also incur the tax increases ?
I imagine the likes of FLN Frisia will be somewhat concerned...

ei146

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

If I looked correctly the cheapest prices for flights to the islands start at around 45€ for the shortest trips, with prices around 100€ more common. Do you really think anyone wanting to take the plane will stop doing so because of an additional 5€ tax?

davidjohnson6

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:33 am

For all the islands apart from Sylt and Heligoland, ferry times are relatively short and an extra 7.5 euros *each way* makes it harder for airlines to compete. FLN Frisia and OFD Flug are going to find it harder to justify the cost compared to going by ship. Somebody who really wants to fly will fly anyway, but a person who is undecided between going by sea and air will be more likely to choose sea, decreasing the revenue available to FLN / OFD

The UK chose to make tax on flights from the Scottish islands free of tax, and also add PSO designation as a Govt subsidy - which meant Loganair were not affected. The North Frisian islands are much nearer the mainland and have no PSO subsidy, so ship is already a more effective competitor to air

DUSZRH

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 am

Blerg wrote:
What is EW planning this winter as far as German flying goes now that they were kicked out of Austria?

Vienna is not Austria. They are moving part of their base to SZG.

Zyklotrop

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:17 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
For all the islands apart from Sylt and Heligoland, ferry times are relatively short and an extra 7.5 euros *each way* makes it harder for airlines to compete. FLN Frisia and OFD Flug are going to find it harder to justify the cost compared to going by ship. Somebody who really wants to fly will fly anyway, but a person who is undecided between going by sea and air will be more likely to choose sea, decreasing the revenue available to FLN / OFD

The UK chose to make tax on flights from the Scottish islands free of tax, and also add PSO designation as a Govt subsidy - which meant Loganair were not affected. The North Frisian islands are much nearer the mainland and have no PSO subsidy, so ship is already a more effective competitor to air

Flight tickets to and from the islands are already exempt from aviation tax (§5 Abs. 4 &5 LuftVStG), if the island doesn't have a permanent railway or road connection to the mainland. Additionally the start or landing point on the mainland must not be farther away than 100km from the coastal line.

To my knowledge there are no current plans to change these exemptions.

WingsOfLove

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Starting 29 March Easyjet will fly 2x a week from Berlin (TXL) to Sylt (GWT)... Fridays & Sundays with A319, double its 2019 summer schedule.
https://www.airliners.de/easyjet-berlin ... 2020/52311

Rhein Neckar Air will fly Mannheim (MHG) - GWT 4x a week starting April & Kassel (KSF) - GWT 2x a week starting May
https://flyrna.com/

It's kind of ironic, for Germany's tourism industry global warming has been a blessing, because of consistently hot summers.

WingsOfLove

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Oldie but Goldie 'Heidelberg' D-AIPB / MSN70

well, if Lufti doesn't want to celebrate her 30 years and for obvious reasons :D at least the press & avgeeks do :airplane:

https://www.aero.de/news-32888/Lufthans ... laeum.html

Alsatian

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Volotea will operate 3 routes ex Hannover next summer :

- Cagliari 1x weekly
- Toulouse 1x weekly
- Venice 2x weekly

https://www.volotea.com/en/

Alsatian

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:01 am

LH will launch FRA - Rennes route from next summer, 3x weekly (-2-4-6-) with CRJ900.

https://www.hitwest.com/news/lufthansa- ... nnes-35015

marcogr12

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:09 pm

New LH FRA-BRS 2x from 30 March 2020 according to Bristol Airport site. Flights will be on a E190. On Saturdays the route will be served once daily

FRA-BRS 0820-0900
BRS-FRA 0935-1210

FRA-BRS 1630-1710
BRS-FRA 1750-2025

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about- ... -frankfurt

A321Lufthansa

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 pm

WingsOfLove wrote:
Oldie but Goldie 'Heidelberg' D-AIPB / MSN70

well, if Lufti doesn't want to celebrate her 30 years and for obvious reasons :D at least the press & avgeeks do :airplane:

https://www.aero.de/news-32888/Lufthans ... laeum.html

Also D-AIPC was gone on Monday.
Last flown aircrafts: A21N TC-LSF < B738 TC-JVY < E190 D-AECF < B77W VP-BGC < A320 VP-BOM < A320 VQ-BES < A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII

Blerg

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:15 pm

Starting from February 2020, Ryanair will be launching two weekly HHN-BNX. Flights are already in the system.