SMF-HNL
HNL-LIH
SJC-KOA
SJC-LIH

Ending Service:

DAL-SNA
HOU-SNA
SJD-SNA

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but that’s what I’m seeing right now.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

AWACSooner

Re: Southwest March 2020 Schedule Extension

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:40 pm

SWADawg wrote:
Ending Service:

DAL-SNA
HOU-SNA
SJD-SNA

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but that’s what I’m seeing right now.

Must've been due to the loss of slots. Maybe now they can re-instate DAL-OKC...grr!

Nice to see they've already loaded the sky high fares over spring break, too.

FlyPNS1

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:52 pm

ATL-MEM is surprising. Given ATL-BNA hasn’t done particularly well, I’m surprised WN would try this route.

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:04 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
ATL-MEM is surprising. Given ATL-BNA hasn’t done particularly well, I’m surprised WN would try this route.

DL will not be kind to this at all, MEM-ATL is 11x daily and more than half of all daily flights DL operates from MEM. With DL still having a relatively large frequent flyer base in MEM, I expect a response from DL.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

DL will not be kind to this at all, MEM-ATL is 11x daily and more than half of all daily flights DL operates from MEM. With DL still having a relatively large frequent flyer base in MEM, I expect a response from DL.

Logical add to better connect to southeast without a backtrack, too close to BNA to start service. Southwest has been in town long enough that they have some loyalty there.

I figure Southwest will get up to 12 destinations from MEM in the next two years if the MAX issue gets fixed.

Still wanting the Soul Express routing MSY-MEM-STL.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

That FF base is getting smaller and smaller as AA and others slowly add more direct routing. Delta should have added back BOS my now

If someone mentions driving to ATL, they haven't experienced the traffic lately that be stumbled upon in either Chattanooga or B-ham.

jplatts

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

While I agree with your point, FL operated MEM-ATL nonstop service prior to WN transitioning MEM over to the Southwest brand from the AirTran brand. WN adding MEM-ATL nonstop service will also give MEM travelers easier connectivity to LGA, PHL, DCA, RIC, RDU, GSP, JAX, RSW, and PBI from MEM.

One big difference between MEM-ATL and BNA-ATL is that MEM is 332 mi from ATL whereas BNA is only 214 mi from ATL. Another big difference is that WN serves LGA, PHL, DCA, RDU, and JAX nonstop from BNA and ATL but not from MEM.

WN also has competitive advantages over DL that didn't exist in the past, including the following:
(a) WN's Wanna Get Away fares allow for itinerary changes without any change fees, whereas DL Basic Economy fares do not allow for itinerary changes and DL charges change fees for itinerary changes on nonrefundable regular economy fares,
AND
(b) WN doesn't charge fees for the 1st and 2nd checked bags whereas DL charges for the 1st and 2nd checked bags on economy class fares unless you have SkyMiles Medallion status.

WN having fewer restrictions on its Wanna Get Away fares over DL's Basic Economy fares will drive demand for WN MEM-ATL nonstop flights, similar to many other domestic routes that have nonstop service on WN and at least 1 US3 carrier.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:43 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:

The two are somewhat different. ATL-BNA can be driven for a day trip. By virtue of being a couple of hours farther, ATL-MEM can't be. But there are connections available at BNA, not so much at MEM.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
WN adding MEM-ATL nonstop service will also give MEM travelers easier connectivity to LGA, PHL, DCA, RIC, RDU, GSP, JAX, RSW, and PBI from MEM.

There are DL and AA non-stops to LGA.

There are AA non-stops to PHL and DCA.

What are the PDEWs MEM-RIC/RDU/GSP/JAX/RSW/PBI? Why do you think WN is going to get much share when DL and AA will kill them on connecting frequencies?

You don't compete by putting out an inferior product - unless you're willing (figuratively) to give it away.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:02 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
WN adding MEM-ATL nonstop service will also give MEM travelers easier connectivity to LGA, PHL, DCA, RIC, RDU, GSP, JAX, RSW, and PBI from MEM.

What are the PDEWs MEM-RIC/RDU/GSP/JAX/RSW/PBI? Why do you think WN is going to get much share when DL and AA will kill them on connecting frequencies?

You don't compete by putting out an inferior product - unless you're willing (figuratively) to give it away.

I don't think it'll much northeast traffic. It will generate more leasure to ATL than anything. This isn't going after Delta FFs, it's going for the growing O&D traffic that MEM any business leakage is gravy and Delta will have to compete directs which were outrageous considering the distance.

I imagine the going rate for Wanna geta ways fares will rarely top 100 bucks and with the luggage policy of WN, be attractive to O&D leasure Traveler set.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:06 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I don't think it'll much northeast traffic. It will generate more leasure to ATL than anything. This isn't going after Delta FFs, it's going for the growing O&D traffic that MEM any business leakage is gravy and Delta will have to compete directs which were outrageous considering the distance.

I imagine the going rate for Wanna geta ways fares will rarely top 100 bucks and with the luggage policy of WN, be attractive to O&D leasure Traveler set.

Why wouldn’t a business traveler who isn’t particularly loyal to DL at least consider WN?

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Why wouldn’t a business traveler who isn’t particularly loyal to DL at least consider WN?

They could, Delta has enjoyed that monopoly for a long time. Lots of business travel directly between the two. My brother once wore the route out when he worked for ATT. But...Delta will undoubtedly respond on that front. I'm talking about those that'll fly down to see the Cards and Braves play a weekend series or take the rugrats to Six Flags and the aquarium along with a baseball game.

jplatts

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

I agree that a business travel who isn't particularly loyal to DL would consider WN, especially since WN's Wanna Get Away fares have fewer restrictions than DL's basic economy and regular economy fares.

ORD14R

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Huge news for DSM! DEN offers quite a bit of connectivity over LAS and less backtracking for a lot of destinations. Now if only they would add BWI... DC area service is still pitiful out of DSM. I am a bit surprised United has not considered an IAD add, especially after cutting EWR.

themon

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Hmm, do not see LAS-MSP available. WN typically loads nonstop in the month of March.

nine4nine

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:17 am

The axe continues to drop on SNA. Low yields, slot politics? How soon till some of the other Southern California airports see Hawaii service? All of the service as of now is strictly nor-cal.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

SteveXC500

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:48 am

themon wrote:
Hmm, do not see LAS-MSP available. WN typically loads nonstop in the month of March.

And they are typically a LF in excess of 95. I don’t understand why it’s not a permanent flight option year round.

jplatts

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:54 am

themon wrote:

Load factors for WN LAS-MSP nonstop service:
2017 - 94.11%
2018 - 88.12%
2019H1 - 92.20%

MSP can probably support daily, year-round nonstop service to LAS on MSP with MSP being the largest WN station west of the East Coast that doesn't have daily, year-round nonstop service to LAS.

There are also many WN stations smaller than MSP (by number of passengers in H1 2019) that still have daily nonstop service to LAS on WN, including AMA, BHM, BOI, BUF, DSM, ELP, LIT, SDF, LBB, MAF, OKC, OMA, RNO, GEG, TUS, TUL, and ICT.

MSP also had significantly higher PDEW's to LAS in 2018 than the WN stations smaller than MSP that have daily, year-round nonstop service to LAS on WN.

I can understand some WN nonstop routes not resuming in Spring 2020 due to the plane shortage that WN is facing as a result of the 737 MAX grounding.

cledaybuck

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:55 am

nine4nine wrote:
The axe continues to drop on SNA. Low yields, slot politics? How soon till some of the other Southern California airports see Hawaii service? All of the service as of now is strictly nor-cal.

It’s slots.
viewtopic.php?t=1430281#p21622097
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

SteveXC500

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:12 am

jplatts wrote:
themon wrote:

There are also many WN stations smaller than MSP (by number of passengers in H1 2019) that still have daily nonstop service to LAS on WN, including AMA, BHM, BOI, BUF, DSM, ELP, LIT, SDF, LBB, MAF, OKC, OMA, RNO, GEG, TUS, TUL, and ICT.

These cities are absolutely not comparable to MsP in any way. You are correct that they are smaller, but MSP has way more competition than these AND a fortress hub. No comparison should be made here.

globalflyer

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 am

DEN-DSM is a shocker for me. That one to me is out of left field. MEM-ATL I think has a shot. I am surprised to hear the BNA-ATL has not been successful? Maybe it has, I have no idea. But that market was always a huge high fare route before the WN arrival.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

jplatts

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:47 am

globalflyer wrote:
DEN-DSM is a shocker for me. That one to me is out of left field.

I actually expected WN to add DEN-DSM nonstop service as DSM is one of the top destinations traveled to from DEN that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN and as WN has recently stated that it wants to add at least 100 additional daily departures out of DEN.

While WN hasn't yet added DEN-BHM and DEN-CLT nonstop service, WN is likely to add DEN-BHM and DEN-CLT nonstop service in the next year as BHM and CLT are two of the top destinations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN.

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:02 am

globalflyer wrote:
DEN-DSM is a shocker for me. That one to me is out of left field. MEM-ATL I think has a shot. I am surprised to hear the BNA-ATL has not been successful? Maybe it has, I have no idea. But that market was always a huge high fare route before the WN arrival.

MEM-ATL is a last-ditch effort by Southwest to reincarnate AirTran routes and propose the image that it is actually sufficient competition to DL in Atlanta. (Hint; it's not).

As has been said time and time again, Atlanta has been handed to DL on a silver platter. If BNA-ATL is unsuccesful, well...I guess WN could make do with connections like their CMH-ATL route, but otherwise I don't have high hopes.
Delta Gold Medallion

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:39 am

maps4ltd wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

MEM-ATL is a last-ditch effort by Southwest to reincarnate AirTran routes and propose the image that it is actually sufficient competition to DL in Atlanta. (Hint; it's not).

As has been said time and time again, Atlanta has been handed to DL on a silver platter. If BNA-ATL is unsuccesful, well...I guess WN could make do with connections like their CMH-ATL route, but otherwise I don't have high hopes.

What’s “successful” on BNA-ATL? There are connections on both ends and WN wants BNA-based business travelers. The relationship between Nashville and Atlanta is such that virtually all of us who fly a lot for business in Nashville go to Atlanta from time to time. If having WN service there makes us more loyal to WN when going to CHI or NYC, that may benefit WN even if BNA-ATL is challenging on a segment basis.

WN732

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:22 am

maps4ltd wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

WN makes a cut at ATL - "WN sucks in ATL and they have retreated to DL!"

WN makes an add in ATL - "WN still sucks and doesn't care about ATL!"

dbo861

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 am

globalflyer wrote:

Really? I’m actually shocked it took them this long to add DSM-DEN. If WN was going to add anything from DSM, DEN is the most logical option.

What’s surprising to me is all of the 737MAX8 flights on this schedule. They must be pretty confident the grounding will be over by then. This schedule extension takes us to the 1 year anniversary of the the MAX grounding.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Occasional flyers are regularly treated better on WN than other airlines. But a recent flight, Seattle/Sacramento with Delta on an E plane was easy load/unload, cabin service, all on the economy minus fare, a ++ experience. Those who are WN loyalists, for one reason or another need the sort of WN expansion we are seeing. Hawaii was only the most obvious big move.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

cledaybuck

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 pm

WN732 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

With attitudes like that, it's not hard to figure out why WN hasn't done better in ATL.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

avi8

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Amazing how WN is now at 20 daily departures at HNL in less than a year.
avi8

WaywardMemphian

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:07 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Occasional flyers are regularly treated better on WN than other airlines. But a recent flight, Seattle/Sacramento with Delta on an E plane was easy load/unload, cabin service, all on the economy minus fare, a ++ experience. Those who are WN loyalists, for one reason or another need the sort of WN expansion we are seeing. Hawaii was only the most obvious big move.

They need some destination places like JAC out of DEN, even TYS.

Then there's emerging markets like XNA with transplants from places where Southwest has a bit of a following (Texas and California come to mind for XNA)

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:44 pm

WN732 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

It's very apparent that they have retrenched and are a shell of AirTran. They may fade to the point of being irrelevant in ATL for biz travelers. I think they should focus on BNA; nice niche up there. I could see a BNA-MEM working better than ATL-MEM.
Delta Gold Medallion

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:45 pm

avi8 wrote:
Amazing how WN is now at 20 daily departures at HNL in less than a year.

They're getting their money's worth out of those gates.
Delta Gold Medallion

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:49 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Then there's emerging markets like XNA with transplants from places where Southwest has a bit of a following (Texas and California come to mind for XNA)

Tulsa's proximity could hurt. WN dropped STL-Branson after AT.
Delta Gold Medallion

tphuang

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm

They got 4 gates at hnl? Hard to see them doing 10 turns per gate, but seems like still room for more adds.

Dominion301

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm

I found this to be of interest in the PR:

Additional flights on over 40 routes already served from Denver will give Customers more options throughout the day to reach their destinations. In March, the carrier will offer up to 235 departures a day to 65 cities nonstop, a record high for the Southwest operation at Denver International Airport.

What routes are gaining frequency and by how much?

tomaheath

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I recently traveled to the island I flew KOA-HNL and the flight was very light wondering how these flights are doing on average? Took AS back to the mainland and over heard the pilot and a pax chatting pilot said they are feeling the competition from Southwest entering the California to Hawaii markets.

jplatts

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm

tomaheath wrote:
I recently traveled to the island I flew KOA-HNL and the flight was very light wondering how these flights are doing on average? Took AS back to the mainland and over heard the pilot and a pax chatting pilot said they are feeling the competition from Southwest entering the California to Hawaii markets.

Here are the average load factors for WN nonstop flights to/from Hawaiian airports in the March 2019 - June 2019 time period:
OAK-OGG - 88.87%
OGG-SJC - 84.32%
HNL-OGG - 84.72%
HNL-KOA - 80.04%
HNL-OAK - 91.86%
HNL-SJC - 91.92%

Jshank83

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 pm

jplatts wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

Here are the average load factors for WN nonstop flights to/from Hawaiian airports in the March 2019 - June 2019 time period:
OAK-OGG - 88.87%
OGG-SJC - 84.32%
HNL-OGG - 84.72%
HNL-KOA - 80.04%
HNL-OAK - 91.86%
HNL-SJC - 91.92%

My Monday afternoon flight HNL-OGG was full last month. My Friday evening OAK-HNL had empty seats. My wife and I both had empties next to us (we sat across the aisle from each other). I was a little surprised for a Friday flight. But the numbers look good.

sprxUSA

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

WN didn't do STL-BKG. They had a MDW-BKG-DAL routing.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:02 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

WN didn't do STL-BKG. They had a MDW-BKG-DAL routing.

Oh right. For some reason I thought WN4013 (the one that landed at the wrong airport) was from STL and not MDW.
Delta Gold Medallion

maps4ltd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

OAK-OGG - 88.87%
OGG-SJC - 84.32%
HNL-OGG - 84.72%
HNL-KOA - 80.04%
HNL-OAK - 91.86%
HNL-SJC - 91.92%

Inter-island looks fine. Of course, the fares are (were) super low.
Delta Gold Medallion

phllax

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:30 pm

ORD14R wrote:
Huge news for DSM! DEN offers quite a bit of connectivity over LAS and less backtracking for a lot of destinations. Now if only they would add BWI... DC area service is still pitiful out of DSM. I am a bit surprised United has not considered an IAD add, especially after cutting EWR.

DEN-DSM timing would require someone to be on a flight leaving CA/WA/OR no later than 6:30 am. Connecting to the LAS flight is also about an hour shorter total travel time for some pairings like LAX.