jetlanta

Re: Delta buying 20% of LATAM

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:49 pm

UGH.

I find it interesting that people still think that Atlanta is some sort of no-go place for Spanish-speaking people. At this point, the number of people with Hispanic heritage living in Metro Atlanta is likely approaching a million people. There are at least that many who can speak the language. And the don't all live near Buford Highway. The notions expressed here are just so outdated. And there are plenty of Brazilians as well (as many as 40K in 2013).

If they aren't working the gate, its not because they don't exist in Atlanta.

https://whatsnextatl.org/metro-atlantas ... d-diverse/

https://www.ajc.com/business/brazil-geo ... qY2F3Np3M/

LAXdude1023

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:40 pm

jetlanta wrote:
UGH.

I find it interesting that people still think that Atlanta is some sort of no-go place for Spanish-speaking people. At this point, the number of people with Hispanic heritage living in Metro Atlanta is likely approaching a million people. There are at least that many who can speak the language. And the don't all live near Buford Highway. The notions expressed here are just so outdated. And there are plenty of Brazilians as well (as many as 40K in 2013).

You just missed my post with the data. Yes I agree saying Atlanta is Latino repellant is ridiculous.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

OB1504

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Does ATL’s Latin American population matter? LATAM will continue to serve O&D demand on their flights to MIA, and most traffic routed via ATL will be connecting to other cities, and DL at ATL offers more potential connections than AA at MIA.

aemoreira1981

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 pm

MIA is almost certainly to become a focus city for DL with LA. AA won’t have the advantage of many connections in LatAm starting with NW20. LatAm has historically been AA’s strongest market.

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:04 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
MIA is almost certainly to become a focus city for DL with LA.

How many flights do you think DL will operate from MIA by 2024? I'll take the under on any number greater than sixty. DL isn't going to put 100 flights a day into MIA to take 20% of LATAM's profits when it can route people through ATL and take 100%. Look at the incremental destinations (and frequencies on those destinations) by LATAM out of MIA vs. what DL offers from ATL.

luckyone

Re: LATAM to leave OW on September 30th 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:59 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
luckyone wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

I’m sure all of secondary Latin America eagerly awaits their new Delta & Atlanta nonstops. History has shown us that Spanish/Portuguese speakers truly love a connection in multilingual Atlanta. Certainly won’t be on LATAM, they can’t even support BOG-MIA or GIG-MIA with a hub carrier in Miami. :roll:

I'm not saying that ATL is well-known for its Portuguese-speaking population, or have as many Spanish speakers as Miami, but there are plenty of Spanish speakers in Atlanta, and there are plenty available to assist at the airport. Portuguese speakers did not have a guaranteed assist in the D concourse at MIA. I've taken AA flights through there to Brazil where none of the gate agents spoke Portuguese, and that can certainly be the case for domestic flights.

In metro ATL, there is a small Brazilian contingent which lives in southern Marietta, but otherwise you would be looking at the Buford corridor for Spanish speakers.

Nothing that rivals MIA (or even MCO) for that matter.

Sigh. Which is precisely what I said. ATL doesn't have the Spanish speaking population of Florida--but it's not as though there's a dearth of them, and at ATL it's not hard to find Spanish speakers to assist, that's all. No more. No less. It's not going to impact a transit passenger.

Perhaps the fault is mine for how I worded it...With reference to Portguese speakers, I explicitly stated that ATL doesn't have a large population. I also stated that I've been through MIA, on flights going TO BRAZIL that had no Portuguese speakers at the gate, and as such, transit passengers can very easily find themselves at a gate, in the D -concourse for a connection, with no Portuguese-speaking staff, in which case there would be no difference between MIA and ATL for transit passengers.

Since you brought it up, ATL and MCO's Spanish speaking population is not that different in absolute numbers, at least it wasn't in the most recent data I could find. They're separated by less than 20,000.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/20 ... -tables-4/

JAMBOJET

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:45 am

luckyone wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
luckyone wrote:
I'm not saying that ATL is well-known for its Portuguese-speaking population, or have as many Spanish speakers as Miami, but there are plenty of Spanish speakers in Atlanta, and there are plenty available to assist at the airport. Portuguese speakers did not have a guaranteed assist in the D concourse at MIA. I've taken AA flights through there to Brazil where none of the gate agents spoke Portuguese, and that can certainly be the case for domestic flights.

In metro ATL, there is a small Brazilian contingent which lives in southern Marietta, but otherwise you would be looking at the Buford corridor for Spanish speakers.

Sigh. Which is precisely what I said. ATL doesn't have the Spanish speaking population of Florida--but it's not as though there's a dearth of them, and at ATL it's not hard to find Spanish speakers to assist, that's all. No more. No less. It's not going to impact a transit passenger.

Perhaps the fault is mine for how I worded it...With reference to Portguese speakers, I explicitly stated that ATL doesn't have a large population. I also stated that I've been through MIA, on flights going TO BRAZIL that had no Portuguese speakers at the gate, and as such, transit passengers can very easily find themselves at a gate, in the D -concourse for a connection, with no Portuguese-speaking staff, in which case there would be no difference between MIA and ATL for transit passengers.

Since you brought it up, ATL and MCO's Spanish speaking population is not that different in absolute numbers, at least it wasn't in the most recent data I could find. They're separated by less than 20,000.

Having Spanish speakers live in your city isn’t unique to Atlanta or any other major US city. Having a Latin culture as the dominant force in your city, like Miami, is not something Atlanta can claim. ATL can find a Spanish speaker just like DEN, DTW, or DCA could. It doesn’t mean it’s common to find at any gate like it is in Miami. That’s why transit passengers have historically cared.

Atlanta is known culturally for many many positive things, any form of widespread Latin culture is not one of them.

jfk777

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 am

JAMBOJET wrote:
luckyone wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Having Spanish speakers live in your city isn’t unique to Atlanta or any other major US city. Having a Latin culture as the dominant force in your city, like Miami, is not something Atlanta can claim. ATL can find a Spanish speaker just like DEN, DTW, or DCA could. It doesn’t mean it’s common to find at any gate like it is in Miami. That’s why transit passengers have historically cared.

Atlanta is known culturally for many many positive things, any form of widespread Latin culture is not one of them.

Delta has connecting Brazilian and Spanish speaking Latin customers in Atlanta for decades, the LATAM JV doesn't change this. I hope LATAM does start flying to ATL but that would be a handful of flights daily. Nothing significant changes in he way ATL deals with those customers.

JAMBOJET

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:54 am

jfk777 wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Delta has connecting Brazilian and Spanish speaking Latin customers in Atlanta for decades, the LATAM JV doesn't change this. I hope LATAM does start flying to ATL but that would be a handful of flights daily. Nothing significant changes in he way ATL deals with those customers.

So has united in chicago, Dulles, Newark and Houston. That also doesn’t have anything to do with the commentary on ATL vs Mia as a preferred connection point for Latin-based customers.

jetlanta

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:04 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
luckyone wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

You don't need a widespread Latin culture to be an effective connecting point in the US. You need an airport that is properly set up to serve the markets. Permanent signage at ATL is in English and Spanish. There are hundreds of Spanish-speaking employees on duty at any time and all Latin flights have appropriate language speakers assigned. You can be sure that any effort to increase connectivity through ATL from this partnership will be met with even more services and facilities for foreign language speakers. It will be just fine.

Floridian

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:15 am

A couple of points discussed...

On the previous page (16) there was a list of US City demographics. It was based on the top 50 Hispanic populated cities.

Interestingly, Delta flies non-stop from Atlanta to every city on the list. Therefore, every LATAM flight that would be scheduled to ATL would make a non-stop direct connection to ALL the top Hispanic populated destinations on those lists. No problema con espanol en el aeropuerto Atlanta.

I also understand MIA may get additional non-stops to 8 to 10 additional cities initially. My guess DCA, BOS, ORD, TPA, MCO. SLC, LAX and SEA probably among the first.

For those who don't know the MIA International floor plan... Delta and their Skyteam and joint venture partners are all located in the South Terminal Concourses H & J. LATAM also operates from the South Terminal. (In fact LATAM is the farthest airline from American at MIA presently.) No moves needed.

MAH4546

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 am

jetlanta wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:
luckyone wrote:

You don't need a widespread Latin culture to be an effective connecting point in the US. You need an airport that is properly set up to serve the markets. Permanent signage at ATL is in English and Spanish. There are hundreds of Spanish-speaking employees on duty at any time and all Latin flights have appropriate language speakers assigned. You can be sure that any effort to increase connectivity through ATL from this partnership will be met with even more services and facilities for foreign language speakers. It will be just fine.

You also need a hub location that doesn’t overfly two thirds of the local market, which is why Delta has failed time and time again at secondary LatAm (and even non-leisure Caribbean). MIA solves that. The partnership doesn’t magically make ATLBSB or ATLMDE viable.
a.

jetlanta

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
jetlanta wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

You also need a hub location that doesn’t overfly two thirds of the local market, which is why Delta has failed time and time again at secondary LatAm (and even non-leisure Caribbean). MIA solves that. The partnership doesn’t magically make ATLBSB or ATLMDE viable.

I generally agree, however some fo the failings had little to do with ATL itself and a lot to do with the regional economic turmoil in the LatAm markets. Even MIA does't work from many of the secondary markets in chaotic economic and political times. It also helps to have a strong local O&D partner on the other end, something Delta has not enjoyed for the most part. Its weak overall position in the Latin point-of-sale markets has been a significant impediment to success. LATAM will have a positive impact on that.

While I do anticipate BSB coming back eventually, I think most ATL Latin growth over the long-run will be frequency in the big markets. GRU #2, LIM #2, BOG #2, etc... For as good a southbound hub as MIA is, ATL is a far better northbound hub and the large markets are far more likely to generate traffic beyond just MIA. There are significant opportunities available to grow in ATL yet and they certainly will. But I agree that most secondary markets will still fly over MIA, which is why Delta needs to grow connectivity to the larger U.S. markets from there. I think Delta is counting on a dual hub strategy that provides a more robust service portfolio and drives carrier preference towards Delta/LATAM over time.

All of this will take time, however. The large scale economic and political problems in the region are a natural impediment to real growth. But I think the market is going to look a lot different a decade from now.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Pretty clear LATAM not looking at Skyteam or playing the alliance game anymore.
Interview with Manuel Van Oordt, CEO of Latam Peru:

Q. Now that LATAM will be outside the Oneworld alliance, will it participate in other alliances or will they see other connectivity options?

A. We are managing to establish different forms of connectivity through bilateral alliances and codeshares with other airlines in the world, which we will communicate to customers as soon as we have the legal and contractual part resolved.

Q. Why not through another alliance (like Skyteam, to which Delta belongs?

A. We have partners beyond the alliance. We are going to look for such agreements with different airlines. We know that our clients want global connectivity with the best in each place and that goes beyond any single alliance.

Q. From 2020 we will see these changes?

A. Yes, there will be a transition period, quite complicated and even confusing, but we will explain it very well to our clients.

https://aerolatinnews.com/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm

AA-LATAM codesharing to end January 31, 2020

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 0480508929

MAH4546

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm

jetlanta wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
jetlanta wrote:

I generally agree, however some fo the failings had little to do with ATL itself and a lot to do with the regional economic turmoil in the LatAm markets. Even MIA does't work from many of the secondary markets in chaotic economic and political times. It also helps to have a strong local O&D partner on the other end, something Delta has not enjoyed for the most part. Its weak overall position in the Latin point-of-sale markets has been a significant impediment to success. LATAM will have a positive impact on that.

While I do anticipate BSB coming back eventually, I think most ATL Latin growth over the long-run will be frequency in the big markets. GRU #2, LIM #2, BOG #2, etc... For as good a southbound hub as MIA is, ATL is a far better northbound hub and the large markets are far more likely to generate traffic beyond just MIA. There are significant opportunities available to grow in ATL yet and they certainly will. But I agree that most secondary markets will still fly over MIA, which is why Delta needs to grow connectivity to the larger U.S. markets from there. I think Delta is counting on a dual hub strategy that provides a more robust service portfolio and drives carrier preference towards Delta/LATAM over time.

All of this will take time, however. The large scale economic and political problems in the region are a natural impediment to real growth. But I think the market is going to look a lot different a decade from now.

Yes, all good points. Will be interesting to see timeline on how Delta grows MIA. I don't think we'll see much in the near future, maybe a few dailies to DCA and LAX, year-round/daily to Raleigh and bringing back SLC and MCO.
a.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:24 am

So does the DL-GOL partnership end when DL-LATAM comes online? I thought DL owned a stake in GOL Also GOL/DL are pretty integrated. I have zero issues flying GOL as a Delta DM.

SQ789

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 am

Will DL and LATAM Argentina partner as well?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

SQ789

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:41 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
So does the DL-GOL partnership end when DL-LATAM comes online? I thought DL owned a stake in GOL Also GOL/DL are pretty integrated. I have zero issues flying GOL as a Delta DM.

Now Delta withdrawn the stake with GOL following the move to LATAM Group. And AR looks set to follow as well.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

geoshina

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 am

I'm currently at SLC where I manage to get SkyPriority and lounge access due to being a Gol FF.
Today I think me and all the Latam FF got a corporate Latam e-mail signed by Jerome Cadier which basically state:

- a codeshare agreement has been signed today between Latam Peru, Colombia and Ecuador. Chile and Brazil will follow through in the first semester os 2020. They also plan to establish a FF agreement (which I think will be in the same - or worse- way as it is currently in place with Gol).
- the AA partnership will end on February 1st;
- Latam is trying to leave the Oneworld alliance sooner than they have to;
- Latam will try to keep agreements with most of the Oneworld partners (Qatar, British, Iberia, Qantas and Jal are my bets).

JJ777

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am

geoshina wrote:
I'm currently at SLC where I manage to get SkyPriority and lounge access due to being a Gol FF.
Today I think me and all the Latam FF got a corporate Latam e-mail signed by Jerome Cadier which basically state:

- a codeshare agreement has been signed today between Latam Peru, Colombia and Ecuador. Chile and Brazil will follow through in the first semester os 2020. They also plan to establish a FF agreement (which I think will be in the same - or worse- way as it is currently in place with Gol).
- Latam will try to keep agreements with most of the Oneworld partners (Qatar, British, Iberia, Qantas and Jal are my bets).

Yeah I got the email as well. LA is probably scrambling to keep their JV with IAG alive, because if IAG leaves the agreement, LA will have pretty much no one in Europe to partner with now that AF/KL extended their partnership until 2024.

NearMiss

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm

I wonder if you can now use LATAM Miles for Delta flights. Or if it will be possible in the future.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

onwFan

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 pm

JJ777 wrote:
geoshina wrote:

Yeah I got the email as well. LA is probably scrambling to keep their JV with IAG alive, because if IAG leaves the agreement, LA will have pretty much no one in Europe to partner with now that AF/KL extended their partnership until 2024.

I don't think IAG will be allowed to buy UX and at the same time retain their JV with LATAM. And I guess IAG would rather bring in UX into IAG than partner with LA, especially since LA is anyway leaving oneworld. Plus it would keep UX off AF/KL's hands. If they need a JV to Europe, LA will need to partner with AF/KL. They already partner with MU and KE. But joining SkyTeam would be a huge waste of money since most other Skyteam members would add nothing meaningful to LA. We will most probably see LA stay outside alliances for the foreseeable future. Doesn't sound like a well-thought out plan of action!

Atlwarrior

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 pm

jetlanta wrote:
UGH.

Exactly the Hispanic population is also increasing in West Atlanta, and the City of Atlanta. After all it is more Hispanic in American than African Americans now.

LAXdude1023

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
jetlanta wrote:
UGH.

Exactly the Hispanic population is also increasing in West Atlanta, and the City of Atlanta. After all it is more Hispanic in American than African Americans now.

What is more Hispanic? West Atlanta?

JJ777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:24 pm

onwFan wrote:
JJ777 wrote:
geoshina wrote:

I don't think IAG will be allowed to buy UX and at the same time retain their JV with LATAM. And I guess IAG would rather bring in UX into IAG than partner with LA, especially since LA is anyway leaving oneworld. Plus it would keep UX off AF/KL's hands. If they need a JV to Europe, LA will need to partner with AF/KL. They already partner with MU and KE. But joining SkyTeam would be a huge waste of money since most other Skyteam members would add nothing meaningful to LA. We will most probably see LA stay outside alliances for the foreseeable future. Doesn't sound like a well-thought out plan of action!

Well my post was a bit incomplete, sorry. I forgot to say AF/KL extended their partnership with G3 until 2024, thus why LA would be in an awkward position without IAG.

BTW, UX just announced a codeshare agreement with G3! The only possible explanation for this mess is that G3 will end up dumping their agreement with AF/KL once the UX sale gets a green light from regulatory authorities, making room for a LA-AF/KL JV. Then again, just like DL used to own a chunk of G3, AF/KL also own a chunk of G3 they'd have to sell in first place.

JJ777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:25 pm

onwFan wrote:
JJ777 wrote:
geoshina wrote:

Well my post was a bit incomplete, sorry. I forgot to say AF/KL extended their partnership with G3 until 2024, thus why LA would be in an awkward position without IAG.

BTW, UX just announced a codeshare agreement with G3! The only possible explanation for this mess is that G3 will end up dumping their agreement with AF/KL once the UX sale gets a green light from regulatory authorities, making room for a LA-AF/KL JV. Then again, just like DL used to own a chunk of G3, AF/KL also own a chunk of G3 they'd have to sell in first place.

EddieDude

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm

NearMiss wrote:
I wonder if you can now use LATAM Miles for Delta flights. Or if it will be possible in the future.

Yes, it will be possible in the future. I assume October 1, 2020 is the target date. I wonder if DL and LA could make it happen faster. I am a DL F.F. and have a trip planned to Argentina in May, and would love to fly at least a segment on LA.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

ojjunior

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:29 pm

LAXintl wrote:

So LA tickets won't be eligible for earning AAdvantage miles anymore as from Jan31st, 2020?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Delta-LATAM have jointly formally filed for approval of codeshare services between U.S and Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru, points within the U.S or the 3 nations, and for points beyond.

Carriers say they "intend to implement their codeshare services as soon as they have obtained all necessary governmental approvals."

OST-2019-0170

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:07 pm

ojjunior wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

So LA tickets won't be eligible for earning AAdvantage miles anymore as from Jan31st, 2020?

LA-operated segments don't presently need to be AA-coded to earn AA miles. Subject to change, of course.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/par ... rlines.jsp

onwFan

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 pm

As I expected, the IAG-LATAM JV is off the table as well: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-462744/

Makes complete sense since LATAM will be leaving oneworld and IAG wants to buy UX. I think LA was hoping to sell one kidney and still pretend everything is the same - but looks like the other kidney gave up functioning :-P Now, LA will lose their advantage over other Latin American carriers (especially AV and the smaller players) at both both MIA and MAD - Now they can fly all they want to CDG and AMS - Good luck to them on trying to make any profits!!

JAMBOJET

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 pm

So I guess LATAM has now lost MAD and MIA as future connecting hubs.
You have to assume the “G3 AF/KL until 2024” agreement goes away otherwise LA is screwed.
You really have to wonder what they were thinking with all this. They seem to have now lost a partner hub in MIA and MAD, the biggest O&D cities out of Latin America (for Spanish speakers anyway)

JAMBOJET

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:50 pm

onwFan wrote:
As I expected, the IAG-LATAM JV is off the table as well: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-462744/

Makes complete sense since LATAM will be leaving oneworld and IAG wants to buy UX. I think LA was hoping to sell one kidney and still pretend everything is the same - but looks like the other kidney gave up functioning :-P Now, LA will lose their advantage over other Latin American carriers (especially AV and the smaller players) at both both MIA and MAD - Now they can fly all they want to CDG and AMS - Good luck to them on trying to make any profits!!

No joke. I hope Delta’s money was worth it. Hard to see how it will be...

Corpsnerd09

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:07 am

If AA was smart it would take a stab a romancing AV away from Star... but we know that'll never happen (under US Airways mgmt). Maybe IAG can take a stab at it... I'm sure LA would be livid if successful.

LAXdude1023

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:10 am

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
If AA was smart it would take a stab a romancing AV away from Star... but we know that'll never happen (under US Airways mgmt). Maybe IAG can take a stab at it... I'm sure LA would be livid if successful.

Given United's investment AV, they wouldnt have a shot.

Corpsnerd09

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:

Given United's investment AV, they wouldnt have a shot.

I know, it's totally speculative in the end.

UPlog

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:30 pm

x1234

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 pm

I expect LATAM codeshares to Asia via SYD, AKL and AMS/CDG, LAX and JFK. KE would be smart to start JNB!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos