Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii
Topic Author

Delta below wing employee arrested for stealing $250K in cash

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 pm

It’s not the Lufthansa heist, but points for trying.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/J ... 32111.html

IPFreely

Re: Delta below wing employee arrested for stealing $250K in cash

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 am

Before rushing to judgement, does anyone know for sure if this guy is a Delta employee? There is a very good chance that works (or I should way worked) for Argenbright/DGS or another contractor and not Delta.

MIflyer12

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:22 am

It was stolen by a person authorized by Delta to load a Delta plane. (And not a very bright guy, given bag scanning procedures and prevalence of video.)

kalvado

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:30 am

catiii wrote:
It’s not the Lufthansa heist, but points for trying.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/J ... 32111.html

I wonder what's next?
The bag of money, which included about $258,200 in both U.S. and foreign currency, has not been recovered, the source said. Thorp appeared in federal court in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon, where a friend agreed to pay his $80,000 bond;

TTailedTiger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 am

What a dummy. He should have been on the next flight to a country with no extradition agreement with the US.

CaptHadley

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:41 am

IPFreely wrote:
Before rushing to judgement, does anyone know for sure if this guy is a Delta employee? There is a very good chance that works (or I should way worked) for Argenbright/DGS or another contractor and not Delta.

He's a Delta employee working a Delta flight who thought that, even though he scanned the bag, he could swipe said bag and get some cash. Seriously, you can't wipe your nose without being on camera at an airport. What would make someone think, yo dude, I could totally steal this bag of cash and no one would even miss it dawg!

cledaybuck

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am

IPFreely wrote:

I’m not sure it really matters, but I would assume it’s Delta employees at JFK.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

CaptHadley

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 am

There are absolutely NO contract workers at JFK working Delta flights.

MartyMcFlyYYC

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:48 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
What a dummy. He should have been on the next flight to a country with no extradition agreement with the US.

Agreed. I would have skipped town. Then again, I'd probably have a heart attack if I looked into a bag and saw that much money.

LHUSA

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 am

Per JJ, the man immediately donated it to charity

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:54 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

So... Turkmenistan? Eritrea?

Most of the countries without extradition are somewhat shitty places to wind up. Unless you are bringing a lot more than 250,000 dollars along.

And not having the treaty does not make a fugitive safe. A country can decide they do not want an American criminal on their own
. . .

cledaybuck wrote:
I’m not sure it really matters, but I would assume it’s Delta employees at JFK.

Indeed. Was is not just earlier this week where DL was trying to take credit for some deed an Endeavor FA did?

Anyway, if there is liability involved, it did happen on one of their flight numbers. Not good for DL.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

catiii
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:03 am

IPFreely wrote:

Who rushed to judgement? The complaint says he’s a Delta employee.

jayunited

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 am

IPFreely wrote:

What difference does it make and according to ABC News the flight was head to MIA. I'm sure this flight was not a Delta Connections flight and seeing that JFK is a DL hub it is safe to assume this was indeed a DL employee not a contractor.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-baggage ... d=65883239

Having said that this one employees decision is not a reflection of Delta Airlines. People make stupid decisions, he should have known he was being recorded as there are cameras all over the airport covering the ramp. Just walk into any operation center at any airport they see everything on those cameras.

DL's luggage tags have RFID technology built into the tag, I wonder if this person was aware of this technology? Did he know that even though he scanned the bag onto the outbound they could still track the actual location of the bag tag seperate from the scan. The scanned location in one computer system would have shown it as being scanned onboard while the RFID chip would show its actual location (or the location of the tag) which obviously wasn't the belly of DL's aircraft.

twinotter

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:13 am

[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:
Having said that this one employees decision is not a reflection of Delta Airlines.

Agree with this 100%. People need to understand that just because a Delta employee steals $250,000 or a few Delta pilots show up to work drunk does not mean that Delta employees are thieves and drunks. This is NOT a reflection of Delta Air Lines and no rational person could ever think it is. Even if Delta employees continue to steal and try to fly drunk, and even if some were to do worse things, it still would not be a reflection of Delta Air Lines. Employee actions simply do not and cannot reflect upon their employer. Period.

How can an airline be judged by its people? This is madness!

catiii
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:14 am

twinotter wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:
Having said that this one employees decision is not a reflection of Delta Airlines.

Agree with this 100%. People need to understand that just because a Delta employee steals $250,000 or a few Delta pilots show up to work drunk does not mean that Delta employees are thieves and drunks. This is NOT a reflection of Delta Air Lines and no rational person could ever think it is. Even if Delta employees continue to steal and try to fly drunk, and even if some were to do worse things, it still would not be a reflection of Delta Air Lines. Employee actions simply do not and cannot reflect upon their employer. Period.

Then they shouldn't get credit for the good things their employees do either.

twinotter

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:31 am

catiii wrote:
twinotter wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:

Then they shouldn't get credit for the good things their employees do either.

What!? That's different! Of course they should! Don't be silly!

(wink)

Max Q

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 am

‘Below wing..’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Jetty

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:01 am

Wow. This will make me think twice before sending a bag with $250.000,- with DL. :eyepopping: Apparently not all their staff can be trusted.

airboss787

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:43 am

twinotter wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:

I hope this is sarcasm. How else are you to judge an organization which is run by people?
Star Alliance Gold

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:27 pm

What we really want to know is how the money recovery operations are going.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

jayunited

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:23 pm

twinotter wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:

Do you have any idea how much money and high value cargo U.S. domestic airlines ship daily? One DL employee decision to break the law and steal is not a reflection of the company as a whole seeing that DL employs more than 80,000 employees. I don't even work for DL I work for the competition which makes far more public blunders but I still strongly believe that one persons unlawful behavior is not a snapshot of an entire company. DL has what 11,000-12,000 pilots out of those 12,000 pilots how many have been arrested for attempting to fly drunk? Of course the news media seizes on the this type of news, but there are thousands of employees who show up to work daily and do the job the signed up for without making waves or headlines. These employees get customers and their belongings to their destination safely and on-time. These unsung employees who never get any recognition because they are doing their job are the true representatives of DL or any company for that matter of fact.

Show me one large corporation with thousands of employees who hasn't made headlines as a result of an employees bad judgement or unlawful behavior. I think you would be hard press to find one.

commpilot

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:27 pm

The Federal Reserve ships a TON of cash around between NYC and major US Cities. You never hear about it because people generally aren't that stupid and the armored truck that drops it off is usually making sure nothing happens to it.

kalvado

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:35 pm

twinotter wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jayunited wrote:

But when those "bad apples" are defended by the rest of the peck and cherrypicking of employer vs contractor begins - it instantly brings up the question if people within the company actually see this as a wrongdoing by a single person - who doesn't represent good character of a bigger group; or it is the group mentality that allows for such thing to be acceptable (until actually caught)

Tugger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:06 pm

MartyMcFlyYYC wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Agreed. I would have skipped town. Then again, I'd probably have a heart attack if I looked into a bag and saw that much money.

IF you are going to do that you should take all eight bags. $250G is not enough to retire on, being in a non-extradition country won't help.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

IPFreely

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Tugger wrote:
IF you are going to do that you should take all eight bags. $250G is not enough to retire on, being in a non-extradition country won't help.

Tugg

Agreed. He also shouldn’t take the bags since they’re scannable. He should have taken the cash out of the bags and replaced it with an equal weight in old newspapers.

nws2002

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm

jayunited wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

DL's luggage tags have RFID technology built into the tag, I wonder if this person was aware of this technology? Did he know that even though he scanned the bag onto the outbound they could still track the actual location of the bag tag seperate from the scan. The scanned location in one computer system would have shown it as being scanned onboard while the RFID chip would show its actual location (or the location of the tag) which obviously wasn't the belly of DL's aircraft.

RFID is not GPS tracking. The tag is read or scanned similar to a barcode. The updates show you waypoints and timestamps but not necessarily the bags current location. You can't ping the tag and ask it where it is like a smartphone that is lost.

drdisque

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Agreed. He also shouldn’t take the bags since they’re scannable. He should have taken the cash out of the bags and replaced it with an equal weight in old newspapers.

I know you're probably joking, but most of those bags are either sewn shut or fastened shut with a large lock.

richierich

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Every company and organization has at least one bad apple, so this is hardly a reflection on DL, is it? Does anybody truly think it is?

This man was presented with an opportunity and he seized it. Maybe he has committed smaller crimes and got away with it...we don't know that, but who knows what triggered him to steal this one bag.
Was the crime worth the punishment (or what the punishment will likely be?) Well, the thief was extremely arrogant if he thought he could sneak off and not have his curious absence be noticed. He was also quite ignorant if he thought he was somehow evading the security measures designed to catch such activity. As this is a felony, he'll be looking at some significant prison time (likely measured in years), not to mention he doesn't get to keep the money, he's lost his job, now has a criminal record, etc. (assuming he didn't before.) Clearly this was an ill-thought out endeavor, and a bad, bad choice at that.
None shall pass!!!!

jetmatt777

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:34 pm

What an idiot, he should have taken two bags. One to pay for his attorney fees and one to keep.

catiii
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 pm

commpilot wrote:
The Federal Reserve ships a TON of cash around between NYC and major US Cities. You never hear about it because people generally aren't that stupid and the armored truck that drops it off is usually making sure nothing happens to it.

Exactly. It wasn't checked luggage in the RFID system.

catiii
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Max Q wrote:
‘Below wing..’

It wasn't an above wing employee. Or a pilot. Or tech. Or inflight...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos