Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GuillaumePhilly
Topic Author

Boeing settles MAX deaths - $1.2+ million USD

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Looks like Boeing has settled the first cases around the 737 Max Lion Air crash.

https://www.fliegerfaust.com/airline-news-boeing-lawsuit--2640631202.html
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

sincx

Re: Boeing puts a price tag on your life-- $1.2 million USD

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:05 pm

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Tugger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Sounds about right.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

LAXintl

Probably reasonable for Indonesia.

Even U.S government and agencies such as the FAA have a price of a life when calculating cost-benefit rule changes and such. Latest figure FAA has been using is $6mil for U.S. citizen. Other agencies have their own estimates - for example, $6.9mil by the EPA.

Really a very basic yet important statistical and actuarial thing.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

patrickjp93

sincx wrote:
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

No. Do a Poisson (or cashflow essentially) analysis, not a linear one :)

UPNYGuy

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
sincx wrote:

No. Do a Poisson (or cashflow essentially) analysis, not a linear one :)

Essentially what Ford did with the Pinto. This is still done in many industries, but it was dragged into the public eye with the Pinto fires.

lightsaber

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Probably reasonable for Indonesia.

Even U.S government and agencies such as the FAA have a price of a life when calculating cost-benefit rule changes and such. Latest figure FAA has been using is $6mil for U.S. citizen. Other agencies have their own estimates - for example, $6.9mil by the EPA.

Really a very basic yet important statistical and actuarial thing.

Exactly. If a life is too highly values, then swaddle everyone in cotton and halt so much economic activity industry stops. Value a life too low, and that is a problem.

When the US was on the gold standard, a life lost per $1 million spent was acceptable. It wasn't pay out a million, it was 'don't investigate a factory/firm' if loss of life was below that. Practices were considered safe. Inflation adjusting, that would be one life lost per 737 built or per year flown. Huh, we grounded the MAX when it was still better than the old standard.

I shouldn't be flippant, but life has to have an actuarial value. The $1.2 million seems about right. I would negotiate it up, but that is just my opinion.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

flipdewaf

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:29 pm

I believe an analysis in the uk after several run red lights on the railways effectively put the value of a life at £15million. The CQC (care quality commission) in the uk also put a value on ‘quality time’ and use this to determine what the amount of money to spend on drugs should be, 1month in pain being valued at less than 1month happy.
1.2million usd does seem low. (admittedly haven’t clicked the link as I’m on my phone)

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:45 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I believe an analysis in the uk after several run red lights on the railways effectively put the value of a life at £15million. The CQC (care quality commission) in the uk also put a value on ‘quality time’ and use this to determine what the amount of money to spend on drugs should be, 1month in pain being valued at less than 1month happy.
1.2million usd does seem low. (admittedly haven’t clicked the link as I’m on my phone)

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What folks seem to be missing is that, clickbaity thread title aside, the article says no such thing. It says that Boeing settled for at least $1.2 million per person. And a settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit only represents the "value" of the life in a lawsuit with the peculiar set of facts. So if liability is extremely doubtful and the parties settle a wrongful death case for $50,000, that in no way means that the decedent's life was only worth $50,000 or anything of the sort.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ikramerica

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:50 pm

sincx wrote:

That’s only true, Tyler, if you can hide it from regulators or the press. Which is hard if the Scranton branch finds out.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

par13del

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Since we are all over this as Boeing's value of human life, is anyone going to bring up the IATA value which each plane ticket represents?
Is it even listed on e-tickets conditions of travel?
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 741_1.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/27/air-cra ... -work.html
https://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/ai ... dents.html

ODwyerPW

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm

I know for a fact that my personal life insurance policy is below 1.2 million usd.
learning never stops.

ikramerica

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
I know for a fact that my personal life insurance policy is below 1.2 million usd.

True. My family would prefer I perish in a plane crash than a car crash.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jbs2886

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 pm

GuillaumePhilly wrote:
Looks like Boeing has settled the first cases around the 737 Max Lion Air crash.

This is such a clickbait headline that is inflammatory.

Every life has a monetary value, there are industries out of it.
Last edited by jbs2886 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomadd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Folks in Boca Chica village, where SpaceX is building and launching stuff were just appraised at $3 million each.

ODwyerPW

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:05 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
GuillaumePhilly wrote:

This is such a clickbait headline that is inflammatory. It’s offensive TBH.

I do agree. The title is a bit insensitive. Guillaume could have been a bit 'gentler' about it.
learning never stops.

jbs2886

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
GuillaumePhilly wrote:

I do agree. The title is a bit insensitive. Guillaume could have been a bit 'gentler' about it.

I’m more bothered by the insinuation that Boeing did something wrong here.

TTailedTiger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Agreed. And it wouldn't matter if Boeing paid out 1.2 trillion. Some people would still cry foul.

IPFreely

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:36 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

Agreed. Guillaume has an agenda and his shameful thread should be removed.

After all, this was not an offer from Boeing, this was an accepted settlement. The headline could also read "Victim's families put a price tag on their loved one's lives".

AerolineasAR343

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Ha! No way I'm worth that much.

JayinKitsap

Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 am

It is interesting to see how people value their own life, as in their life insurance. Less than 10% have life insurance exceeding $ 1M

In the US, the payments out in Worker's Comp for a workplace fatality are dismally low. There are factors but in Washington State it is less than $5K/month. So a $ 1M payout takes 200 months to receive, so over 15 years.

This $1.2 M per death considering Indonesia wages sounds in line with other settlements, the lawyer cited that other cases in Indonesia plane crashes were on the order of 600K.

The lawyers have lots of formulae for these things that have been regularly used in court. Factors such as annual earnings, age, dependents, etc come into play. In the US, a bank executive would be able to claim a far higher value than say a student. The country of the Airline, the location of the accident, etc. also play into the value.

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:39 am

jbs2886 wrote:
GuillaumePhilly wrote:

This is such a clickbait headline that is inflammatory.

The Reuters article that Fliegerfaust copied with no original or transformative comment of his own had this title:

Boeing settles first Lion Air lawsuits for at least $1.2 million apiece: sources

Ziyulu

Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:52 am

If you got paid by the airline in a plane crash, can you also get paid by the life insurance policy? In other industries, it would be considered double dipping.

AtomicGarden

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:00 am

AerolineasAR343 wrote:
Ha! No way I'm worth that much.

Is it a coincidence that being from Argentina made me think the exact same? 1.2 mill seems a lot, with or without devaluation. Don't tell my girlfriend!
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

SWADawg

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 am

ikramerica wrote:
sincx wrote:

That’s only true, Tyler, if you can hide it from regulators or the press. Which is hard if the Scranton branch finds out.

You just broke the first rule of Fight Club!
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

Texas77

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:50 am

IPFreely wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Agreed. Guillaume has an agenda and his shameful thread should be removed.

After all, this was not an offer from Boeing, this was an accepted settlement. The headline could also read "Victim's families put a price tag on their loved one's lives".

yeah, this is a bit of a shameful, revisionist history way of looking at this. even if some companies have to look at what a lost life might "cost them", it is not like those of us who HAVE JOBS suddenly become robots who only view a human life with a dollar value, it is just an unfortunate part of some businesses that it is a real impact, and thus they have to deal with it. construction companies, the military, DOCTORS- they all have to think about the same things, but we don't think of them as some corporate monsters who only count the bucks and don't care about people

gokmengs

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:09 am

jbs2886 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Sure, what would be the correct thread title and post? Something other than Reuters did? Would you like “MCAS victims to receive 1.2 million USD” please enlighten us
Edit: typo
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

ODwyerPW

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:16 pm

gokmengs wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Sure, what would be the correct thread title and post? Something other than Reuters did? Would you like “MCAS victims to receive 1.2 million USD” please enlighten us
Edit: typo

The way the title reads now is good. The inflammatory 'Boeing decides what a life s worth' part is gone.
learning never stops.

aeropix

Re: Boeing settles MAX deaths - $1.2+ million USD

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:48 pm

If the "price" in the title does turn out to be accurate (at least on average) then the total cost of ALL those lives lost will be equivalent to the list price of just ONE of Boeing's wide bodies more or less. Seems very little financial incentive to increase safety if the total "cost" of these two completely fatal accidents is so cheap in comparison to the retail price of their products.

Confuscius

Re: Boeing settles MAX deaths - $1.2+ million USD

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:08 pm

$1,200,000 equals to 17,033,760,000 Rupiahs. :eek:
Ain't I a stinker?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos