Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CDGIAD
Topic Author

Any update on Cessna SkyCourrier ?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Does anybody know if the first flight will happen by the end of the year as announced?

Last update from Cessna was in May when they announced assembly of the prototype was under way.

Besides FedEx, did any other airlines order it ?

Moosefire

Re: Any update on Cessna SkyCourrier ?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Great question, haven’t heard a peep
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

DarthLobster

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 pm

If the type works for FedEx, you're all but guaranteed to see other carriers order it. Ameriflight's fleet is getting up there.

Spacepope

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
If the type works for FedEx, you're all but guaranteed to see other carriers order it. Ameriflight's fleet is getting up there.

Small us package freighters seem to be completely fine with operating older used aircraft. Alpine has even got an STC for converting more B1900s. Ameriflight seems to be content with upgauging new (to them) E120s and backfilling with the displaced smaller frames.

Look for retirement of the Navajos there before they contemplate new builds. Bemidji is in real trouble with their early 60s queen airs. Anyone operating Shorts freighters might think about retirement in the next 7 to 10 years as well. In the meantime, there are a few Metros, and plenty of B1900, SF340 and E120s to convert to backfill for the little guys.
The last of the famous international playboys

DiamondFlyer

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Spacepope wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Small us package freighters seem to be completely fine with operating older used aircraft. Alpine has even got an STC for converting more B1900s. Ameriflight seems to be content with upgauging new (to them) E120s and backfilling with the displaced smaller frames.

Look for retirement of the Navajos there before they contemplate new builds. Bemidji is in real trouble with their early 60s queen airs. Anyone operating Shorts freighters might think about retirement in the next 7 to 10 years as well. In the meantime, there are a few Metros, and plenty of B1900, SF340 and E120s to convert to backfill for the little guys.

The PA31s have been gone for about a year, if not more at Ameriflight
From my cold, dead hands

Spacepope

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Ah, any news on B99 retirement? I was reading they had then retired the C208, which would be a great little beech replacement.
The last of the famous international playboys

MO11

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 pm

The issue is that FedEx has deeper pockets. It buys the airplanes, then turns them over to contractors for CMI operation. Both UPS and DHL use ACMI contractors, which aren't going to be buying new airplanes to low-bid a contract. UPS and DHL both purchased new Merlin IVs 30+ years ago (and DHL actually operated its airplanes), but they were eventually sold off, and that experiment wasn't repeated.

JayinKitsap

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 pm

So has anyone heard anything about first flight of the SkyCourier.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:22 pm

Spacepope wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Ah, any news on B99 retirement? I was reading they had then retired the C208, which would be a great little beech replacement.

I'm not sure that AMF proper has flown C208's in years. Wiggins flies them, but that's still a separate certificate, IIRC.
From my cold, dead hands

SierraPacific

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:56 pm

I bet Ameriflight pilots would be extremely excited to get a new bird that has modern avionics compared to what they fly now.

The Skycourier looks like an awesome bird

JayinKitsap

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:49 am

SierraPacific wrote:
I bet Ameriflight pilots would be extremely excited to get a new bird that has modern avionics compared to what they fly now.

It's a simple no-frills machine, carries more than double a Caravan. Looks quite good, I am surprised there have not been follow on orders yet.

https://cessna.txtav.com/-/media/cessna ... tcard.ashx

trpmb6

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:01 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

It's a simple no-frills machine, carries more than double a Caravan. Looks quite good, I am surprised there have not been follow on orders yet.

https://cessna.txtav.com/-/media/cessna ... tcard.ashx

The orders will come. My understanding is there has been interest from all over but it's all one offs or small batch orders. Nothing that Cessna would concern themselves with A) announcing and B) prioritizing. That type of stuff becomes small STC mods after the main bird is type cert. Think skydiving schools, salmon fishing bush planes in Alaska, Australian bush planes. That type of stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if they do get some other attention from bigger customers, but at this point I'm guessing they are focused on getting their main customer flying.

FedEx is very logistics driven. They know when they need this plane. The pressure will be high.

I haven't heard anything new about first flight but rest assured the schedule is tight. Keep in mind they just now certified the Longitude. My guess is that puts them behind.

citationjet

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 pm

My sources in Cessna Engineering say first flight for SkyCourier should be late this year or early next year. That is about as definite as it is right now.
Denali first flight should be about the same time period.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

VSMUT

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 pm

I know of at least one Asian airline that has ordered the passenger variant, for delivery some time in 2020.

CDGIAD
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm

citationjet wrote:
My sources in Cessna Engineering say first flight for SkyCourier should be late this year or early next year. That is about as definite as it is right now.
Denali first flight should be about the same time period.

Thanks for the first factual answer of this thread :-)

FlyingElvii

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:55 pm

There is definitely a market out there, around the world, for this type of plane. Governments, NGO’s, friegt ops, etc. The quick-change cabin opens up many other opportunities as well. As always, the question remains, at what cost?

SkyVoice

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 am

So, will this aircraft have fixed landing gear and pressurization? If so, THAT'S different!
"Facing a crisis does not not build one's character, it reveals it."

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

- Robert H. Schuller

JayinKitsap

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:13 am

SkyVoice wrote:
So, will this aircraft have fixed landing gear and pressurization? If so, THAT'S different!

Fixed landing gear / no pressurization.

INFINITI329

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:48 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:

25,000 ft ceiling with no pressurization? doubtful....this bird will be pressurized.

what engines will the aircraft use?

VSMUT

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:

25,000 ft ceiling with no pressurization? doubtful....this bird will be pressurized.

It does really look like it will be non-pressurized. Multiple sources point it out

SWALUV

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

I'm not sure that AMF proper has flown C208's in years. Wiggins flies them, but that's still a separate certificate, IIRC.

Just left the company a week ago, so can confirm there are no 208's on the AMF proper certificate. As of now, there are no plans for 99 replacement. There's actually a small surplus of them within the fleet do to a closure of a few bases over the last year period. PA31's retired in February of this year with the closure of the ABQ base. I actually got to do the final PA31 flight for the company, which was pretty awesome haha.

shamrock137

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:55 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:

Nope, same ceiling as the Caravan, 402, Twin Otter, Kodiak etc... Even the SR22 has a service ceiling of 17,500. Just because an unpressurized aircraft has a service ceiling above 10-12,000 doesn't mean it'll spend any time operating up there.
Time to spare? Go by air!

JayinKitsap

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 pm

shamrock137 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Nope, same ceiling as the Caravan, 402, Twin Otter, Kodiak etc... Even the SR22 has a service ceiling of 17,500. Just because an unpressurized aircraft has a service ceiling above 10-12,000 doesn't mean it'll spend any time operating up there.

I saw in an article that pressurization is an option for the future, but with the more rectangular profile to fit the LD3's it not easy to pressurize. Cruise performance is based on FL10.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos