Latest is that EASA are not happy with the way Boeing are suggesting having the two FCC's run in parallel. As some here, the undersigned included, envisioned when it was first made know that Boeing would have both FCC's talking to each other, that is not an easy exercise, nor one which can be accomplished in a couple of months. Seems Boeing attempted to do so anyway, and at least one regulator has told them to back off and do it properly.
That is not an accurate characterization based on what we are being told.
The WSJ report ( https://www.wsj.com/articles/friction-b ... 1570527001
) is the main source and it says:
The European Union Aviation Safety Agency recently told senior U.S. regulators it wasn’t satisfied that FAA and Boeing officials had adequately demonstrated the safety of reconfigured MAX flight-control computers, according to people briefed on the discussions.
EASA has signaled, though, that it wants additional risk scenarios examined beyond those in the current testing plan, this person said.
So EASA is not saying they are unhappy with the approach, they are saying they are unhappy with the test plan.
And we also read:
Boeing engineers are frustrated EASA hasn’t specified what additional measures might allay its objections, according to people close to the discussions.
So Boeing at least feels the concerns aren't being clearly stated.
The article goes on to say the situation is fluid, compromises are being discussed, etc.
Q1 2020 is now starting to look overtly optimistic, and a revision of that forecast is in order from my side. My best guess, given the latest information, is Q4 2020. This is based on the presumption it takes roughly 18 months to get the FCCs to talk to each other in a way that satisfies the regulators, and they've been working on that for around 5 months now. Those 18 months will also be sufficient for Boeing to address the other issues nagging the regulators. Yes, that is indeed another year worth of grounding for now, and the impact on the industry will be profound.
Before the recent concerns expressed by EASA, senior FAA officials were growing optimistic they would be ready to give the green light for MAX flights as soon as early November, according to people familiar with the matter. The friction with their European counterparts is likely to delay that timeline until at least later that month, these people added.
Have you taken a report of a half month slip and some how turned it into a one year slip?
But, by all means, keeping grasping at any and all straws if it makes you feel better. At the end of the day though, it's of absolutely no consequence for the ungrounding of the aircraft.