Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

whywhytee

Re: Air Canada S20 International network changes

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 am

matt wrote:
whywhytee wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Yes indeed. YLW are getting their first ever widebody service thanks to that. Imagine pre-WS, CP and AC were only flying Dash 8s to YLW from the early 90s recession onwards. Fast forward 25 years and YLW is seeing a daily 763.

YYT, YEG and YHZ will all see at least 1x daily 763 to YYZ this summer thanks to the MAX mess.

Will YYT be getting Rouge or mainline 767s?

As per the current schedule, it looks like YYZ-YYT in July and August will be a mix of mainline 320s, 321, E90s as well as Rouge A319s and 763s. This will most likely change as there are still some MAX8 flights in the schedule, which will certainly be removed. I feel that the AC schedule is evolving every minute at the moment.

Oh, is mainline still showing for that route during the summer? I saw someone somewhere else say that it was full rouge this summer.

Dominion301

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

dr1980 wrote:
I wonder if the YOW-LHR upgauge is at all related to the continued cancellation of YHZ-LHR and YYT-LHR?

Tough to say as the one YOW-YHZ this summer that’s getting upgauged to a mainline 320 isn’t the flight timed for LHR in either direction.

Obviously the 788 is being moved off YOW-LHR due to the (literal) China flu. But the fact AC chose to park additional capacity on YOW-LHR this summer instead of the historically traditional mainline 763s on said route (those five frames seemingly have nine lives thanks to the extenuating circumstances) is interesting. AC obviously is confident the route can handle the additional capacity, above and beyond the 788. The route did have a 330 on it a few summers ago for a single season. It also helps that AC now has far more 330s in the fleet.

SASViking

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:35 am

YYZLGA wrote:
Wow. YYC-FRA is up to a 77W. The German tourists must be pouring in.

Also, they're up to the 450-seat 77W on CPH? With loads like that, I'm surprised they haven't added an ARN flight.

Just because CPH is a success doesn't mean that ARN would be too. They are very different markets despite being relatively close to each other.
Many of the passengers go on cruises. CPH is the starting and ending point for a lot of cruises in/around Europe. It's the same reason why TS starts YUL-CPH too.
On top of that CPH offers way better connections to the rest of Europe than ARN. Despite that AC is a part of the A++ JV they have a relatively good and close cooperation with SAS.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

Airlinerdude

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:47 am

flyyul wrote:
You're a skeptic and its nonsense. Air Canada is moving 777 gauge off the Pacific onto the Atlantic, and Heathrow is a safe place to put capacity given all the global turmoil. This is not the first, nor the last time AC will operate 777s on YYC-LHR.

I'm not sure why you're putting words into my mouth as I definitely didn't mention anything about YYC-LHR...

I was commenting on YYC-FRA. For the past two years it's operated as a 77L during the summer. YVR-FRA is up from previous 789/788 to a 77W too. It just seems like a significant amount of capacity increase in a short amount of time, especially when you consider the growth of WS' European operations from YYC in the same time period. Nevertheless, it's great for the consumer.

Dominion301 wrote:
AC have reached such a critical mass that they very rarely 'care' any longer about reacting to what WestJet does. It's almost always the other way around nowadays. YYC-BOS being a case in point.

What an absurd statement to make. Unless AC has no desire to remain commercially viable, they'll certainly care about the business decision their largest domestic competitor makes. I can almost guarantee AC is recognizing that WS could become a substantial challenger if its international growth ambitions are left unchecked.

Dominion301

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
flyyul wrote:
You're a skeptic and its nonsense. Air Canada is moving 777 gauge off the Pacific onto the Atlantic, and Heathrow is a safe place to put capacity given all the global turmoil. This is not the first, nor the last time AC will operate 777s on YYC-LHR.

I'm not sure why you're putting words into my mouth as I definitely didn't mention anything about YYC-LHR...

I was commenting on YYC-FRA. For the past two years it's operated as a 77L during the summer. YVR-FRA is up from previous 789/788 to a 77W too. It just seems like a significant amount of capacity increase in a short amount of time, especially when you consider the growth of WS' European operations from YYC in the same time period. Nevertheless, it's great for the consumer.

Dominion301 wrote:
AC have reached such a critical mass that they very rarely 'care' any longer about reacting to what WestJet does. It's almost always the other way around nowadays. YYC-BOS being a case in point.

What an absurd statement to make. Unless AC has no desire to remain commercially viable, they'll certainly care about the business decision their largest domestic competitor makes. I can almost guarantee AC is recognizing that WS could become a substantial challenger if its international growth ambitions are left unchecked.

Is it really 'absurd'? Of course they care about competing with WS, but do you honestly think AC will respond to WS (i.e. 'care') with their own YYC-FCO? Who's the one that cares about putting Flair out of business? It ain't AC. Even when WS' widebody fleet hits 10-14 tails (depending on what they do with the 763s), do you honestly think AC are shaking in their boots? They might have been shaking had WS put in a bid for TS...but TS wouldn't have been a good fit for WS. If WS can't figure out how to fly YUL-YVR year-round, they'd have no clue how to make a WS-controlled TS YUL-MRS or YUL-NCE continue to function.

Skywatcher

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:02 pm

It is fascinating to view the unfortunate Canadian regionalism issues manifest themselves on this aviation forum. You have Alberta/pro-carbon/anti-east WestJet people vs east/anti-climate change Air Canada people on here in many iterations. The WestJet (Alberta) fans are very sensitive to criticism and feel unloved for their views very much like Canada in general these days. The basic underlying issue is that the Canadian oilsands are far too expensive to compete in today's abundant world oil supply situation with such low prices. A sad but true scenario that is poisoning Canadian politics in so many ways.

767333ER

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
It is fascinating to view the unfortunate Canadian regionalism issues manifest themselves on this aviation forum. You have Alberta/pro-carbon/anti-east WestJet people vs east/anti-climate change Air Canada people on here in many iterations. The WestJet (Alberta) fans are very sensitive to criticism and feel unloved for their views very much like Canada in general these days. The basic underlying issue is that the Canadian oilsands are far too expensive to compete in today's abundant world oil supply situation with such low prices. A sad but true scenario that is poisoning Canadian politics in so many ways.

Well WestJet tried to use the declining Alberta economy as an excuse for its woes under Saretsky but thankfully Sims said he would not do this.

WestJet is a prime symbol of how business is done everywhere here in Alberta. Try to compete with the big bad guys in the east, whine and complain when it doesn’t work, blame it on someone or something else, be completely anticompetitive any way possible (trying to kill competitors) (somehow get their home turf airport authority to do their bidding), and maybe be nationalistic. Just be a bunch of cowboys and it’ll work.

Oh yeah and blatantly misleading advertisement.

I would say talking about oil is not relevant, but it so is because again that whole nationalistic sentiment. Alberta is hard done by only by our own stupidity but now we have to blame it on everyone else and hate everything from everywhere else. Just imagine if Alberta were to separate what would happen to WestJet...
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

cirrusdragoon

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm

767333ER wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

Well WestJet tried to use the declining Alberta economy as an excuse for its woes under Saretsky but thankfully Sims said he would not do this.

WestJet is a prime symbol of how business is done everywhere here in Alberta. Try to compete with the big bad guys in the east, whine and complain when it doesn’t work, blame it on someone or something else, be completely anticompetitive any way possible (trying to kill competitors) (somehow get their home turf airport authority to do their bidding), and maybe be nationalistic. Just be a bunch of cowboys and it’ll work.

I would say talking about oil is not relevant, but it so is because again that whole nationalistic sentiment. Alberta is hard done by only by our own stupidity but now we have to blame it on everyone else and hate everything from everywhere else. Just imagine if Alberta were to separate what would happen to WestJet...

Much like how Air Canada did with canjet and rootsair in early 2001 , https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le1178833/

767333ER

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:45 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
767333ER wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

Much like how Air Canada did with canjet in early 2001 , https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le1178833/

If that’s all they did than WS is far more petty. From things like blocking aprons with ground equipment to cutting deice queues to having airport authorities playing favouritism. And oh yeah, opening a redundant route and a whole new just to kill off a weak competitor (and attempt to union-bust). Then there was the time they took aim at porter but they didn’t end up doing much cause they hit a dead end anyway.

How about when the CEO comes out with a video taking a dump on the evil east’s aircraft manufacturer for no apparent reason only to be contradicted says later by a much larger airline south of the border? How about when he said he’d go down fighting the unionization and subsequently went down? How about the BOD calling their labour force “the swamp”? Is that a great way to run a 21st century business? In Alberta it is.

All besides the point I love how a thread about Air Canada summer schedule becomes about WestJet (yeah am guilty of perpetuating it here) and what I love even more is when Air Canada opens a route before WestJet it’s a preemptive strike and if they do it after its catchup. That suggests only WestJet has business sense and original ideas and Air Canada is always predatory and/or only copies. That is case and point on what I’m talking about with cowboy Alberta business. I can trod on whoever I want because it’s always someone else’s fault. Just look at our government here. Double standard.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

Skywatcher

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:35 pm

As a Quebec anglophone I can state how many similarities I see between the current Alberta behavior and the Quebec behavior of the past.

Another inconvenient truth is that high oil prices drives up the value of the Cdn. dollar which devastates eastern Canadian manufacturing businesses. All that is talked about in Alberta is the billions of equalization payments but nothing about the hundreds of thousands of jobs that were lost in the east resulting from the high prices that created the Alberta wealth.

I know these issues are not specifically aviation related but they have a lot to do with the WestJet vs Air Canada debate that frequently arises here on anet in my opinion.
Last edited by Skywatcher on Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skywatcher

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

sorry-I screwed up my edit.

Acey

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:

The past two summers, AC844 YYC-FRA has been primarily 789 with only short stretches of 77L. This summer, it is again showing 789.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

cirrusdragoon

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm

767333ER wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
767333ER wrote:

Much like how Air Canada did with canjet in early 2001 , https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le1178833/

If that’s all they did than WS is far more petty. From things like blocking aprons with ground equipment to cutting deice queues to having airport authorities playing favouritism. And oh yeah, opening a redundant route and a whole new just to kill off a weak competitor (and attempt to union-bust). Then there was the time they took aim at porter but they didn’t end up doing much cause they hit a dead end anyway.

How about when the CEO comes out with a video taking a dump on the evil east’s aircraft manufacturer for no apparent reason only to be contradicted says later by a much larger airline south of the border? How about when he said he’d go down fighting the unionization and subsequently went down? How about the BOD calling their labour force “the swamp”? Is that a great way to run a 21st century business? In Alberta it is.

All besides the point I love how a thread about Air Canada summer schedule becomes about WestJet (yeah am guilty of perpetuating it here) and what I love even more is when Air Canada opens a route before WestJet it’s a preemptive strike and if they do it after its catchup. That suggests only WestJet has business sense and original ideas and Air Canada is always predatory and/or only copies. That is case and point on what I’m talking about with cowboy Alberta business. I can trod on whoever I want because it’s always someone else’s fault. Just look at our government here. Double standard.

Oh the Air Canada are no angel mon ami, the pioneers of central canada are just as wild . Remember when they , Air Canada breeched securities laws by selectively releasing material information when it called a select group of analysts on the evening of Oct. 5, 2000, leaving voice-mail messages that said third- and fourth-quarter earnings would come in lower than expected.

matt

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 am

Ok, back on topic.

I imagine the MAX8 translatlantic flights slated for this summer (YHZ-LHR, YYT-LHR and YYZ-SNN) will be canceled once again. I wonder if AC will find an alternate solution for YHZ and YYT, such as a Rouge 763 on a YHZ-YYT-LHR routing. They may need the Rouge plane for other flights given the MAX8 grounding, but with the uncertainty of the situation in China and Hong Kong, they may have a few « extra » 789s on hand. Lots on uncertainties at this time.
Next flights: YQM-YUL-YVR-YUL-YQM / YQM-YYZ-HKG-DXB-BCN-YUL-YQM

DKNOFF

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am

YYZLGA wrote:
Wow. YYC-FRA is up to a 77W. The German tourists must be pouring in.

Also, they're up to the 450-seat 77W on CPH? With loads like that, I'm surprised they haven't added an ARN flight.

ARN is bleeding pax. I think AC would rather consider YUL-CPH before ARN, though SK may beat them to it with their A321LR.

whywhytee

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:56 am

matt wrote:
Ok, back on topic.

I imagine the MAX8 translatlantic flights slated for this summer (YHZ-LHR, YYT-LHR and YYZ-SNN) will be canceled once again. I wonder if AC will find an alternate solution for YHZ and YYT, such as a Rouge 763 on a YHZ-YYT-LHR routing. They may need the Rouge plane for other flights given the MAX8 grounding, but with the uncertainty of the situation in China and Hong Kong, they may have a few « extra » 789s on hand. Lots on uncertainties at this time.

Hm, just like before the routes went narrowbody! I doubt those YYT/YHZ-LHR flights are super high priority for air canada right now, though.

YYZORD

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:50 am

SAS has mentioned about the A321LR letting them serve Canada routes. I would assume they will add either YYZ or YUL.

767333ER

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:46 pm

It sounds like at this point they really would’ve been in better shape if they had ordered new A321s. It’s too bad they didn’t realize that the A321 can do great things the 737 cannot and thought that saving money was worth it. I mean their s20 would be in much better shape that’s for sure. What I’m curious about is how many more A330s they can add before they aren’t primarily a YUL plane anymore

If the Transat deal were to fall though, those A321s could cause them a little pain on any route that competes.
cirrusdragoon wrote:
Oh the Air Canada are no angel mon ami, the pioneers of central canada are just as wild . Remember when they , Air Canada breeched securities laws by selectively releasing material information when it called a select group of analysts on the evening of Oct. 5, 2000, leaving voice-mail messages that said third- and fourth-quarter earnings would come in lower than expected.

Great, still not as bad as deliberately blocking an apron or maligning the very group of hard working people that got someone their cushy office in a nice building out on the bleak prairie.

Whiteguy

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:38 pm

767333ER wrote:
It sounds like at this point they really would’ve been in better shape if they had ordered new A321s. It’s too bad they didn’t realize that the A321 can do great things the 737 cannot and thought that saving money was worth it. I mean their s20 would be in much better shape that’s for sure. What I’m curious about is how many more A330s they can add before they aren’t primarily a YUL plane anymore

If the Transat deal were to fall though, those A321s could cause them a little pain on any route that competes.
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Great, still not as bad as deliberately blocking an apron or maligning the very group of hard working people that got someone their cushy office in a nice building out on the bleak prairie.

Deliberately blocking an apron?? Gotta ask, where and when did this happen? Airports are busy places, I chuckle when I read stuff like this. I have never flown with a guy that says, “hey, let’s just sit here and block them for a bit!”

YULflyer1992

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:34 pm

YYZORD wrote:
SAS has mentioned about the A321LR letting them serve Canada routes. I would assume they will add either YYZ or YUL.

They could have a good arrangement whereas AC operates YYZ-CPH and SK operates ARN-YUL. That way together they serve the two largest markets on both sides, with a large widebody between the two larger hubs and the 321 for the thinner secondary hub routes.

runway23

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm

YULflyer1992 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

They could have a good arrangement whereas AC operates YYZ-CPH and SK operates ARN-YUL. That way together they serve the two largest markets on both sides, with a large widebody between the two larger hubs and the 321 for the thinner secondary hub routes.

SK and AC don’t have a joint venture agreement so hardly going to happen.

Skywatcher

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 pm

I saw an AC 789 on Flightaware YVR-YUL & YYC-YUL today. I am amazed at how flexible the network planning dept. at AC is.

jumbojettony

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I saw an AC 789 on Flightaware YVR-YUL & YYC-YUL today. I am amazed at how flexible the network planning dept. at AC is.

Even a 789 doing Yul-Mco lately. Strange to see but as a Yul spotter I'll take it!

jumbojettony

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

Even a 789 doing Yul-Mco lately. Strange to see but as a Yul spotter I'll take it!

Dominion301

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

There was even a 789 doing YOW-YVR yesterday, along with a 789 and 77W in addition to the usual 763 on YOW Rapidairs...the latter being for snowstorm recovery. Would have made YOW feel bigger than it really is for a few hours yesterday.

dr1980

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:46 am

matt wrote:

I’d love to see it, that could be an interesting way to serve two routes at once if the aircraft is available.
Dave/CYHZ

nname

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:32 am

I guess this is international...

AC576 YVR 0900 - 1159 SNA 319 D
AC577 SNA 1240 - 1527 YVR 319 D

AC got a slot for SNA...?

ghYHZ

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Hopefully AC will find a solution for the YHZ-LHR route as this is heading into the 2nd summer.....a year 'round route they've had since 1960 (originally with a Super Constellation!)

Although WestJet has cancelled CDG on the Max.....they will be able to maintain seasonal service between YHZ and GLA, DUB, MAN and LGW using a 737-700. Condor has also increased service to Halifax this summer.

Hopefully AC will see passengers return after the LHR route is reinstated

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 am

Here's a long list of flights resumptions, frequencies' changes, aircraft types scheduled AND service cancellations. Also, it seems that AC is still hoping to see the Max 8 return to service this September.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21may20/

Also here are individual fleet types' capacity until the end of June, at least for the time being:

"Air Canada files Physical Distancing configuration in May/June 2020"

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:31 am

AC has revised its summer flight operations.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-10jun20/

codyul

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:41 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AC has revised its summer flight operations.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-10jun20/

Interesting to see some Rouge flights scheduled in the Fall. That would tell me that planning is assuming about 60% return of capacity because the most senior Rouge crew are in that range...
YUL PNC :weightlifter:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos