TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation October 2019

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello there Turkish Aviation fans,

You can find last month's thread here:
Turkish Aviation September 2019

I am afraid I don’t have a whole lot of new topics to start this month’s thread.
Things are slowing down with the arrival of fall in Turkish aviation.
Please continue with your views, news, photos, rumors and good old taste of humor.

Welcome :)

mafaky

Re: Turkish Aviation October 2019

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Well thanks for the new thread, anyway. Hope there might be some joyful news and happenings during October 2019.

Invite those who may not be aware of a rather new thread, dedicated on (New) Istanbul Airport's operations and its commercial future.
Pls. contribute but after reading the first 2 pages or so.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431915
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

OA260

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks for a new thread . Indeed seems a quiet time but sure over the next few weeks things will emerge.

mercure1

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Aviation blogger Sam Chui posted a video about his visit to Istanbul. He teams with a local Turkish blogger to explore food and shopping. This must have been following his 787 flight onboard TK.

https://samchui.com/videos/travel-vlog- ... ZI2yShKiUk
mercure f-wtcc

AirbusA343

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Does anyone know what's up with TC-JZG? It doesn't list as belonging to TK on Flightradar for me and has been operating flights from Tirana under the code ZB.

LAXintl

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:13 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
Does anyone know what's up with TC-JZG? It doesn't list as belonging to TK on Flightradar for me and has been operating flights from Tirana under the code ZB.

It very much belongs to TK. Its on lease and operating services for Air Albania
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

stylo777

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Has the 330 of TK stuck in Tehran for some time returned home?

peterinlisbon

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Here's a look at the landside part of the new Istanbul airport showing the food court, the airport hotel (Yotel) and where to catch the bus into the city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKd1DxLXpcU

Yakamoz

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Has the 330 of TK stuck in Tehran for some time returned home?
No, TC-JIP still there.

ist2014

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for new thread and happy fall
Do we have any news about loads at mex/cun route and seperated vietnam routes
As you might remember financial performance of TK was not so good as h1 2019, any news and insight about q3? Load factors for jul and aug was promising but no clue about profitability
Any news on 737 max?

TK105

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks for the new thread.

I’ve just landed into ESB after a short round trip to Germany on TK.

I admit one more time that new IST airport is strategically a very good project regardless of where it was built, its name, how was the contract awarded, how it is being operated etc. The difference is like day and night.

While waiting for my last leg connection to ESB, I saw that there were some AnadoluJet aircrafts being used for domestic services at IST. I found out that due to lack of NB aircraft caused by locked 737MAX, TK leased back some of its aircraft leased to Anadolujet and moved their base from ESB to IST. This also explains why ESB domestic pax numbers are going down more than other domestic stations. Also TK asked early delivery of 789s as much as possible and adjusted high frequency NB services to domestic stations with less frequency and more WB service.

Lastly while on board to ESB, I wanted to finish my interrupted movie due to landing into IST. I found out that on domestic flights there are no foreign movies except Yeşilçam movies (Turkish Movies). It is said that, it was due to intellectual rights issue. But I’ve got the impression that TK did some saving by not buying the Hollywood movie rights for domestic services.
The future is in the skies.

LAXintl

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:43 pm

ist2014 wrote:
Hi all,
Thanks for new thread and happy fall
Do we have any news about loads at mex/cun route and seperated vietnam routes
As you might remember financial performance of TK was not so good as h1 2019, any news and insight about q3? Load factors for jul and aug was promising but no clue about profitability
Any news on 737 max?

Analyst expect decent profit at TK in 2019. Estimates are about 2YTL per share, which ends up being about 1.4bil YTL or €225m/$250mil.

gokmengs

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:38 am

Thanks for a new thread as always.
I was expecting more contribution from the usual suspects here on the thread mafaky mentioned about IST airport thats on civ av, don’t get me wrong not to come to its defence but what some post there is eye wateringly wrong and downright biased
As for the ac stuck in Tehran,I’m curious what the game plan is? You have a very unique situation but I’m having a hard time how a 1 time exclusion can’t be allowed by the authorities
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

mafaky

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:20 am

As for the TC-JIP stranded at IKA/Tehran:

TK has never ever made any public announcement on this şissue. Their lips seem to be sealed. If the problem was about the landing gear (in the less likely case, that frame experienced a very hard landing), or some hydraulic system issue these would have been solved by now. So the only available cause seems to be "an engine problem" where a new spare engine needs to be supplied. Unfortunately, that frame uses a PW which is almost purely USA made. So, even though, TK may have any spare engine in their stocks that one cannot be shipped to Iran due to sanctions. Otherwise PW must provide a new/refurbished engine...

Seems that we are facing a second Norwegian case, whicj was stranded in Shiraz/Tehran. Finally a spare engine was provided after some 2 months or so. But that period also co-incided with the "US Government shut-down", to delay things more. Right now, Uncle Sam doesn't have that excuse. The only consolation is that, the said frame isn't being owned by TK or on financial lease. It's on operational lease from AerCap, which is basically a USA Company. Hopefully that may expedite things but let's face it: TC-JIP is a sitting duck since Aug. 19th. So, already some 40+ days have passed. vil: :? :o :evil:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

AirbusA343

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:21 am

LAXintl wrote:
AirbusA343 wrote:

It very much belongs to TK. Its on lease and operating services for Air Albania

Thanks for that, any clue for how long?

I flew on JZG in August and it was a nice aircraft so it must be a nice treat for Air Albania pax!

gokmengs

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am

mafaky wrote:
As for the TC-JIP stranded at IKA/Tehran:

TK has never ever made any public announcement on this şissue. Their lips seem to be sealed. If the problem was about the landing gear (in the less likely case, that frame experienced a very hard landing), or some hydraulic system issue these would have been solved by now. So the only available cause seems to be "an engine problem" where a new spare engine needs to be supplied. Unfortunately, that frame uses a PW which is almost purely USA made. So, even though, TK may have any spare engine in their stocks that one cannot be shipped to Iran due to sanctions. Otherwise PW must provide a new/refurbished engine...

Seems that we are facing a second Norwegian case, whicj was stranded in Shiraz/Tehran. Finally a spare engine was provided after some 2 months or so. But that period also co-incided with the "US Government shut-down", to delay things more. Right now, Uncle Sam doesn't have that excuse. The only consolation is that, the said frame isn't being owned by TK or on financial lease. It's on operational lease from AerCap, which is basically a USA Company. Hopefully that may expedite things but let's face it: TC-JIP is a sitting duck since Aug. 19th. So, already some 40+ days have passed. vil: :? :o :evil:

To sum it up its quite the clusterf*** :) Lets see how long it will take to resolve the situation and get her back. Excuse my question I should probably know this or look it up, but who else other than TK from the developed world serves IKA?

mafaky

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

Afaik, no other legacy carrier is flying to IKA, for the moment. BA & LH pulled out, after the sanctions were re-instated. And "for the worse part", TK not only flies to IKA but also to multiple Iranian Airports.

This should teach TK, a lesson: At the least, to be on the "safer side" they should limit all Iran-bound flights to Airbus equipment not powered by "purely USA-made engines". (FYI: The previous Norwegian case was similar but not exactly as the same one here!... That plane had to divert to Shiraz upon the engine loss. Otherwise it was flying Dubai to Oslo...)

Blerg

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 am

mafaky wrote:
Afaik, no other legacy carrier is flying to IKA, for the moment. BA & LH pulled out, after the sanctions were re-instated. And "for the worse part", TK not only flies to IKA but also to multiple Iranian Airports.

This should teach TK, a lesson: At the least, to be on the "safer side" they should limit all Iran-bound flights to Airbus equipment not powered by "purely USA-made engines". (FYI: The previous Norwegian case was similar but not exactly as the same one here!... That plane had to divert to Shiraz upon the engine loss. Otherwise it was flying Dubai to Oslo...)

From European legacy carriers, IKA is served by Lufthansa (FRA), Austrian Airlines, Aeroflot and Ukraine International Airlines.

ankaraflyjet

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Yes you are right, the decline at ESB pax nuabers is now linked to 7373 MX crisis that forced THY to fly with -24 narrow boides and they are utilizng AnadoluJet planes at IST and cut capacity at ESB considerably since June this year.

I guess the MAX crisis will also make it difficult for TK to grow ESB for the being for launching new destinations other than those that was started earlier this year to Rome, London, Baghdad, Tbilisi, Baku etc. Hopefully once MAX crisis is resolved we will be able to see ESB expansion policy again as well as AnadoluJet to boost services to many local destinations that are underserved at the moment.

TK105 wrote:
Thanks for the new thread.

I’ve just landed into ESB after a short round trip to Germany on TK.

I admit one more time that new IST airport is strategically a very good project regardless of where it was built, its name, how was the contract awarded, how it is being operated etc. The difference is like day and night.

While waiting for my last leg connection to ESB, I saw that there were some AnadoluJet aircrafts being used for domestic services at IST. I found out that due to lack of NB aircraft caused by locked 737MAX, TK leased back some of its aircraft leased to Anadolujet and moved their base from ESB to IST. This also explains why ESB domestic pax numbers are going down more than other domestic stations. Also TK asked early delivery of 789s as much as possible and adjusted high frequency NB services to domestic stations with less frequency and more WB service.

Lastly while on board to ESB, I wanted to finish my interrupted movie due to landing into IST. I found out that on domestic flights there are no foreign movies except Yeşilçam movies (Turkish Movies). It is said that, it was due to intellectual rights issue. But I’ve got the impression that TK did some saving by not buying the Hollywood movie rights for domestic services.

ankaraflyjet

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm

AnadoluJet is reinstating Ankara ESB to Siirt thrice weekly direct flights from October 28th, 2019.
It seems that AnadoluJet will put an A319 on this route that is the only aircraft in TK inventory to fly into this runaway restricted destination. AnadoluJet has no A319 in their fleet now so I wonder where this bird is coming from? THY?? Also wonder if Istanbul Siirt flights will be continued once AnadoluJet starts flying into Siirt on October Siirt??

TK105

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:
Yes you are right, the decline at ESB pax nuabers is now linked to 7373 MX crisis that forced THY to fly with -24 narrow boides and they are utilizng AnadoluJet planes at IST and cut capacity at ESB considerably since June this year.

I guess the MAX crisis will also make it difficult for TK to grow ESB for the being for launching new destinations other than those that was started earlier this year to Rome, London, Baghdad, Tbilisi, Baku etc. Hopefully once MAX crisis is resolved we will be able to see ESB expansion policy again as well as AnadoluJet to boost services to many local destinations that are underserved at the moment.

I was visiting a high ranking officer at ministry of transport last week. When I asked Canadian Bilateral, he mentioned that a group from civil aviation is visiting Canada that week but did not know details of the reason for their visit. Perhaps you have some update for us about potential new Canadian Bilateral, if any.

mafaky

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:14 pm

I think, for the not-so-dense or rwy restricted domestic destinations, TK must start to realise a new model, 100-seat category plane such as Embraer 175/195 series or Airbus a220. I don't know why they have deferred this decision till now; maybe it's due to the plans to obtain a separate AOC for AnadoluJet and make it an independent airline. It's easy to make plans, but not so easy and on short notice to make it happen.

stylo777

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Well, the Anadolujet model with a few dozen wetleases from SunExpress seems to work pretty well; before that it was TK aircraft and crew. AFAIK XQ is based at SAW and ESB with hundreds of crews and mechanics for this mission. As a matter of fact, this keeps overall costs down and AJ ops profitable.

The "regional" topic is discussed here every year and I truly believe that a A221/3 combined subfleet will make a great impact; both on passenger side as well as for the airline. Remember the times when Borajet was still around and people were hesitant to fly with turboprops and than they switched to Embraer 190. Ok, it was for sure not as exaggerated like this, but historically the majority of Turkish people find turboprops unsafe; however, everybody loved the E90. It's surely a different experience starting with comfort (2-2/2-3 seating). But this is probably one of the "hidden" reasons why especially TK never considered anything smaller than 319/737. Again, the CSeries might change the game here and I don't know how TK management feels about it. With more than 50 commercial airports in the country and many regional spots in a radius of 2-3 hours, not every greenspot is able to accommodate the 319 commercially viable. On the other hand it could also densify the domestic network by adding frequencies. I don't believe that those widebody 330/777 flights to places like AYT, ADB, TZX, etc. are profitable. They generate passenger/cargo volumes, but surely not yields.

TK105

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 pm

stylo777 wrote:
The "regional" topic is discussed here every year and I truly believe that a A221/3 combined subfleet will make a great impact; both on passenger side as well as for the airline.

A221/3 makes sense. Also a package deal may be achieved with TK flight rights to YVR, YUL, YYC and YEG. Now we have a customer from YYC/YEG visiting us a few times a year: The money they pay for economy tickets to come to ESB is incredible. Potentially thin but high yield markets.

stylo777

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 pm

TK105 wrote:
stylo777 wrote:
The "regional" topic is discussed here every year and I truly believe that a A221/3 combined subfleet will make a great impact; both on passenger side as well as for the airline.

A221/3 makes sense. Also a package deal may be achieved with TK flight rights to YVR, YUL, YYC and YEG. Now we have a customer from YYC/YEG visiting us a few times a year: The money they pay for economy tickets to come to ESB is incredible. Potentially thin but high yield markets.

I highly doubt that since Airbus took over full control of the program.

gokmengs

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:06 am

Can anyone figure out the aircraft used by PSG soccer team, they played Galatasaray and saw some pics of a BBJ with a distinct livery just was curious, also jeff bezos was in town anyone caught his ride?

ankaraflyjet

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:17 am

ESB Canada (YUL and YYZ) are high yield markets as well as ESB IAD.
Having said that I have no expectations for direct flights from ESB to North America by TK or others at this time.
It is quite interesting for AF and BA not to step into ESB I think they will capture quite a feed for their global network. QR upgraded ESB to 3330/777 mix on most days, I take ESB LGW almost every month now and on most days people on standby are left behind. There is definitely a potential for more....

TK105 wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:24 am

I have been looking at JFK-IST "J" in November and TK is waaay too expensive compared to UA/LH.... $3400 vs. $2100 :(
I'd rather spend that extra money on a one night stay in any one-stop city; like Berlin, Milan, London.
And when did TK started requiring 105,000 miles for one way JFK-IST "J" award ticket?
Thank you.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:39 am

TK787 wrote:
I have been looking at JFK-IST "J" in November and TK is waaay too expensive compared to UA/LH.... $3400 vs. $2100 :(
I'd rather spend that extra money on a one night stay in any one-stop city; like Berlin, Milan, London.
And when did TK started requiring 105,000 miles for one way JFK-IST "J" award ticket?
Thank you.

Since they're the monopoly on the route, they have free reign for pricing and award rates - wish there was more competition on this route. It'd make ticketing easier for us.

ARNbased

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am

I just returned home after a couple of flights with TK (2x long-haul and 2x short haul, all in C) and wanted to post some updates:

- Taxi at IST was 7-12 minutes per flight = very reasonable
- Good temp at IST, not at all hot as it was in May
- All flights were excellent, really no complaints what so ever
- As is often the case on late night flights between Stockholm and Istanbul, we got 737s with blocked middle seats in C, but they had modernised the interiors somewhat with white plastics instead of the old "yellow-ish" and the toilet up front was brand new. The interior seemed in much better condition than usual. Very surprised. Too bad though that they keep 3-3 instead of 2-2 in C. A lot of economy class passengers actually commented on the seats upon boarding and said "this doesn't look like business class", and a FA said "these are our worst planes". Considering the flight time is 3,5 hours and they charge about 1000 EUR R/T ARN-IST compared to 200 EUR R/T in Y, it's a bit disappointing, but still way better than other carrier's slimline seats.
- I was also on a A330-300 from 2014 that had the newer seats (where the ottoman has storage). Cabin crew said that the plane had gotten the newer seats recently. Very surprised about this as well.
- Managed to sleep 8 hours straight on two overnight flights - something I only manage on TK. The 2-2-2 (or 2-3-2 in 777) seats are sooo comfortable and will be missed by me. Much, much more comfortable than all "direct aisle" seats I've tried, including staggered and reverse herringbone.

AirbusA343

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Just a quick note on TC-JZG, it has been painted in the Air Albania livery but still has a touch of the TK livery, maintaining the tulip.

LAXintl

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Can anyone figure out the aircraft used by PSG soccer team, they played Galatasaray and saw some pics of a BBJ with a distinct livery just was curious, also jeff bezos was in town anyone caught his ride?

Bezos has his own G650 which was likely used for trip.

TIA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:03 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
AirbusA343 wrote:
Just a quick note on TC-JZG, it has been painted in the Air Albania livery but still has a touch of the TK livery, maintaining the tulip.

It's also missing the red bottom.
IMO this is not the right aircraft for the routes it's currently being flown on (TIA-FCO/MXP/BLQ). It has full F (not the blocked middle seat), PTV etc for max 1.5 hr flights. Not to mention the fact that the other plane in Air Albania's fleet is a A319. But TK controls Air Albania so the whole fleet situation will continue to evolve.

ricq

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Speaking of Air Albania, this is an interesting article from a few days ago:

"This combined with the new wet-leasing agreement means that Air Albania as an Albanian airline does not exist, instead it is essentially a subsidiary of Turkish Airlines."

https://exit.al/en/2019/10/02/air-alban ... n-licence/

gokmengs

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 am

LAXintl wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

Bezos has his own G650 which was likely used for trip.

Knew he had a G650, but didn’t know the reg of it since yesterday now I know, thanks.

ankaraflyjet

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:04 pm

I am Happy to announce that Turkish Airlines signed for thrice weekly Istanbul Vancouver starting from mid2020 subject to availability of 787 or A350. It will be made public in the coming days and we are happy to see that happening as Turkish Canadians...

YYJTurkman

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:00 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:
I am Happy to announce that Turkish Airlines signed for thrice weekly Istanbul Vancouver starting from mid2020 subject to availability of 787 or A350. It will be made public in the coming days and we are happy to see that happening as Turkish Canadians...

OMG! I can't believe it. I have been waiting for this for years. This is great. :)

ist2014

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:09 pm

I checked distance btw Vancouver and Istanbul and it seems 9600 km. A332ERs can fly to some far a way destinations such as hav,bog,ccs etc
Can a a332 be deployed or not, if not is it because of ocean and winds over atlantic?

such as ccs,bog etc

Yakamoz

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:
Hope it will get started finally.

BNAMealer

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:34 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:

When will DFW and/or DEN come?

ist2014

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Considering that 789/359 is needed for den, dfw i think 2021 seems realistic, det can be done in 2020 (332/333)
Wnat about Seattle, will 3 weekly yvr flight kill a potential daily Seattle flight?

ist2014

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Considering that tokyo will be 789 in 2020, any idea about 77w released from Tokyo operations ?
Which destinations would be upgaugd or frequency increase

whywhyzee

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 pm

I guess the bilateral with Canada has changed.

gokmengs

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Amazing news thanks for the update please someone start a thread about it its major news

ankaraflyjet

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Yes it will be ratified in a few weeks

whywhyzee wrote:
I guess the bilateral with Canada has changed.

mercure1

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Sam Chui Turkish adventure continued.

He flies in the TK 787 simulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulF2NnBqXM
mercure f-wtcc

Planes4you

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 pm

Hopefully DFW will be announced

Planes4you

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:34 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Any info on DFW

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:58 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Thanks for the news :) It has been a very long time in the making. Hope this doesn't affect SEA plans.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:16 am

airporthaber reports that TAV opened a PrimeClass lounge at JFK Terminal 1.

https://www.airporthaber.com/tav-haberl ... u-sal.html (In Turkish, few photos)

Is this different than the planned TK lounge? Who can use it?
Thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos