MeCe

Re: Turkish Aviation October 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:57 pm

ist2014 wrote:
Considering that tokyo will be 789 in 2020, any idea about 77w released from Tokyo operations ?
Which destinations would be upgaugd or frequency increase

Most probably IAD. Gimme a week so I can confirm.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Looking at November I see that TK's JFK flights going down to 2 x D as usual and both are 333s. W

mafaky

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm

TK787 wrote:
Looking at November I see that TK's JFK flights going down to 2 x D as usual and both are 333s. W

Mmmm; isn't that interesting/unexpected? Wasn't the earlier practice one daily with 77W and the other with 333?
Looks like that some of the earlier received 77Ws may start undergoing long time taking checks/overhauls, one by one...
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mercure1

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:30 pm

MeCe wrote:
ist2014 wrote:
Considering that tokyo will be 789 in 2020, any idea about 77w released from Tokyo operations ?

Yes IAD is getting more flights. LAXintl provided the info and schedule already last month.
mercure f-wtcc

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm

mafaky wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Mmmm; isn't that interesting/unexpected? Wasn't the earlier practice one daily with 77W and the other with 333?
Looks like that some of the earlier received 77Ws may start undergoing long time taking checks/overhauls, one by one...

Even sometime earlier this year, all 3 daily flights were A333s :(

YYZORD

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm

SEA will probably not happen anymore, YVR is too close and is a Star Alliance hub unlike SEA. AC can give easy connections to SEA from YVR and also don't forget about the bus shuttle from YVR to SEA.

MeCe

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 pm

mercure1 wrote:
MeCe wrote:
ist2014 wrote:

Yes IAD is getting more flights. LAXintl provided the info and schedule already last month.

But he did not mention type change to 777 ;) This is new, may be 1 week old.

ankaraflyjet

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 am

I am sorry but I have no information about DFW, I am a Director in Canadian Trukish Business Council and is aware of Canada Turkey affairs more than anything else.

THY deal was signed and the Air Service Agreement between the two countries will be ratified next to accommodate YVR IST. It has been a very difficult one to achieve due to Canadian airspace being a protected market and also to try to convince THY for the viability of the route had been a nightmare. It will be a high yield and very profitable addition to TK's global network as YVR needs this. There is a very strong market to/from YVR for European routes in the past 10 years and the number of destinations served from YVR in Europe was limited to London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Today Paris (both AF and AC), , Munich and Zurich (Seasonal) are added. There is no destination between Munich to New Delhi served from YVR. TK will capture a great market given the large Persian population in Vancouver, second largest Persian population in the world outside Iran after LA. Of course the number of Turkish Canadians in BC and Alberta is now considerable too, so the flight will work very well.

I think TK will push for increasing YYZ to daily that will be their next goal in Canada after launching YVR.

We will try to push AC to reinstate IST as this will also help reduce the prices because TK is selling tickets at very high cost to/from Canada.

Last but not least three airlines that will be adversely affected from TK's YVR debut is LH, KL and BA and AC will benefit a great deal of connecting passengers to its network from YVR to Hawaii, US West Coast and Western Canada naturally.

Planes4you wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:
I am Happy to announce that Turkish Airlines signed for thrice weekly Istanbul Vancouver starting from mid2020 subject to availability of 787 or A350. It will be made public in the coming days and we are happy to see that happening as Turkish Canadians...

Any info on DFW

YYZORD

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 am

I'm surprised as to why EK and QR can't get enough landing rights into Canada like TK can. Star Alliance partner and AC codeshare makes sense but EK codeshares on WS so I mean it benefits WS as a Canadian carrier. QR could've added YYZ while EK could've added YUL if they were treated the same as TK.

ist2014

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 am

Dear Ankarafly jet
Do u have any hope for daily slot for YYZ,YUK and YVR in the next 2-3 years, for me 3-4 weekly flights seems orphan to some extent
On the other hand what about if TK orders some A220, although it is not a C model any more, at the end is produced in Canada

Delta28L

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 am

YYZORD wrote:
I'm surprised as to why EK and QR can't get enough landing rights into Canada like TK can. Star Alliance partner and AC codeshare makes sense but EK codeshares on WS so I mean it benefits WS as a Canadian carrier. QR could've added YYZ while EK could've added YUL if they were treated the same as TK.

Canada is protecting AC from competitors by restricting bilateral treaties

ankaraflyjet

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I think it will take 2 to 3 years before we see YYZ daily.
I have no expectations for additional flights to/from Canada 2 or 3 years into YVR being launched by TK. It will take a while...
The next thing we can expect is AC to reinstate YYZ IST as I mentioned before rather than more frequncy allocation to TK.
I hope this answers your question.

ist2014 wrote:
Dear Ankarafly jet
Do u have any hope for daily slot for YYZ,YUK and YVR in the next 2-3 years, for me 3-4 weekly flights seems orphan to some extent
On the other hand what about if TK orders some A220, although it is not a C model any more, at the end is produced in Canada

YYZORD

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Well Canada isn't protecting Canadian jobs, only AC because WS is just as a Canadian airline like AC, just WS is w Skyteam and other airlines and AC is with star alliance airlines.

Delta28L wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Canada is protecting AC from competitors by restricting bilateral treaties

AirbusA343

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 pm

TC-JTK, a TK A321 has been painted in a #PinkCap livery (really just a giant sticker). It is in support of breast cancer. There are now 11 A321s in a special livery:

TC-JRA - Star Alliance
TC-JRB - Star Alliance
TC-JRG - Discover the Potential
TC-JRL - Star Alliance
TC-JRO - Euroleague
TC-JRP - Star Alliance
TC-JRS - Star Alliance
TC-JSU - Lego Movie
TC-JTE - Miles and Smiles
TC-JTK - #PinkCap
TC-JTR - Teknofest

LAXintl

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:07 am

TK787 wrote:
airporthaber reports that TAV opened a PrimeClass lounge at JFK Terminal 1.

https://www.airporthaber.com/tav-haberl ... u-sal.html (In Turkish, few photos)

Is this different than the planned TK lounge? Who can use it?
Thank you.

Actually 2 lounges. One in T-1 and one in T-4. TK will indeed use the T-1 loung along with Air China, JAL, RAM, Saudia and a few more.

TAV runs lounges for TK in several cities either under PrimeClass branding or TK own name.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

yulexpansion

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:51 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:
I am sorry but I have no information about DFW, I am a Director in Canadian Trukish Business Council and is aware of Canada Turkey affairs more than anything else.

THY deal was signed and the Air Service Agreement between the two countries will be ratified next to accommodate YVR IST. It has been a very difficult one to achieve due to Canadian airspace being a protected market and also to try to convince THY for the viability of the route had been a nightmare. It will be a high yield and very profitable addition to TK's global network as YVR needs this. There is a very strong market to/from YVR for European routes in the past 10 years and the number of destinations served from YVR in Europe was limited to London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Today Paris (both AF and AC), , Munich and Zurich (Seasonal) are added. There is no destination between Munich to New Delhi served from YVR. TK will capture a great market given the large Persian population in Vancouver, second largest Persian population in the world outside Iran after LA. Of course the number of Turkish Canadians in BC and Alberta is now considerable too, so the flight will work very well.

I think TK will push for increasing YYZ to daily that will be their next goal in Canada after launching YVR.

We will try to push AC to reinstate IST as this will also help reduce the prices because TK is selling tickets at very high cost to/from Canada.

Last but not least three airlines that will be adversely affected from TK's YVR debut is LH, KL and BA and AC will benefit a great deal of connecting passengers to its network from YVR to Hawaii, US West Coast and Western Canada naturally.

Planes4you wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:
I am Happy to announce that Turkish Airlines signed for thrice weekly Istanbul Vancouver starting from mid2020 subject to availability of 787 or A350. It will be made public in the coming days and we are happy to see that happening as Turkish Canadians...

Any info on DFW

You think TK wouldn't bring on a bloodbath in terms of fares should AC reinstate IST? The last time around, it was impossible for AC to survive given TK anticompetitive pricing and the way IST hub structure is built (impossible to gain decent connections both in/out-bound). AC can't rely on 49% government backing, such as TK.

gokmengs

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 am

Did they delete the thread for the Vancouver flight.? If so why?
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Yakamoz

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 am

gokmengs wrote:
Here you go;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1432543&p=21707439&hilit=Turkish+Airlines#p21707439

ankaraflyjet

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 am

AC loads in IST were very good actually and there was a good cooperation between TK and AC for codeshare flights from IST to various Turkish markets like ESB, AYT and ADB as well as various TK destinations in ME and N Africa.

I am not expecting a blood bath at all, AC also carries a lot of US pax between Turkey and USA and Mexico. AC has its own feed and does not overlap with TK but will supplement each other actually. Both are in *A as you know.

AC also has premium economy that TK does not offer so AC also has an advantage in some other ways too.

yulexpansion wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:

Planes4you wrote:

Any info on DFW

You think TK wouldn't bring on a bloodbath in terms of fares should AC reinstate IST? The last time around, it was impossible for AC to survive given TK anticompetitive pricing and the way IST hub structure is built (impossible to gain decent connections both in/out-bound). AC can't rely on 49% government backing, such as TK.

yulexpansion

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:
AC loads in IST were very good actually and there was a good cooperation between TK and AC for codeshare flights from IST to various Turkish markets like ESB, AYT and ADB as well as various TK destinations in ME and N Africa.

I am not expecting a blood bath at all, AC also carries a lot of US pax between Turkey and USA and Mexico. AC has its own feed and does not overlap with TK but will supplement each other actually. Both are in *A as you know.

AC also has premium economy that TK does not offer so AC also has an advantage in some other ways too.

yulexpansion wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:

I'm not sure you get the point. The profitable airline model is not a volume game. Clearly IST did not meet AC's profitability standards and it was dropped. What has changed since last time around that would make IST flights profitable?

aldrigsomandre

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:43 am

yulexpansion wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:

yulexpansion wrote:

I'm not sure you get the point. The profitable airline model is not a volume game. Clearly IST did not meet AC's profitability standards and it was dropped. What has changed since last time around that would make IST flights profitable?

Security concerns come to mind..

SeanM1997

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm

British Airways will be starting 6x weekly flights between London Gatwick and Antalya from 30 April 2020:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 7256139776

Antalya will be third Turkish destination on British Airways - Dalaman is summer-seasonal from London Gatwick whilst Istanbul is year-round from London Heathrow

OA260

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
British Airways will be starting 6x weekly flights between London Gatwick and Antalya from 30 April 2020:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 7256139776

Antalya will be third Turkish destination on British Airways - Dalaman is summer-seasonal from London Gatwick whilst Istanbul is year-round from London Heathrow

An expected addition to the network especially with the TCX effect . Will be interesting to see what other routes/frequencies are announced.

aldrigsomandre

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

We expect more UK-Turkey routes to be announced by Jet2, TUI and Ryanair. All are conducting studies and talking to agents at the moment, also the Turkish Ministry of Tourism is actively involved. BA was just the beginning.

ankaraflyjet

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:39 am

AC dropped IST a week after the night club blasts for security concerns that also triggered a drop in travel for a while that is not the case now. With the opening of the Galata Port next May and reinstaing transatlantic cruise liners returning to Istanbul again next year, AC will better start serving IST.. I am sure it will happen before not too long.

yulexpansion wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:

yulexpansion wrote:

ushuaia

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am

Traffic results for the period of September 2019 are as follows:

•During the period of September 2019, passengers carried decreased by 1.1%, to 6.7 million passengers from 6.8 million passengers for the same period of 2018. The number of passengers carried in domestic lines decreased by 10.3%, and the number of passengers carried in international lines increased by 5.9%.
•Total L/F decreased by 0.6 points to 82.9%.
•RPK increased by 0.6% to 13.8 billion during the period of September 2019 from 13.3 billion for the same period of 2018. Decrease in RPK in domestic lines is 8.3% and RPK in international lines increased by 5.9%.
•International-to-international transfer passengers increased by 6.2%.
•International non-transit passengers increased by 5.5% compared to the same period of September 2018.
•Cargo/Mail carried during the period of September 2019 increased by 9.8% to 134,504 tons, from 122,472 tons in 2018.
•During the period of September 2019, the regional traffic results are as follows:
oIncrease in RPK in Far East, Africa, Europe and Middle East are 10.5%, 7.4%, 6.2% and 6,2%.
oIncrease in L/F in Central and South America and North America by 1.1 pt. and 0.7 pt.
oIncrease in passengers carried in Far East, Middle East, Europe and Africa are 10.1%, 9.2%, 7.9% and 6.4% respectively.

Traffic results for the period of January-September 2019 are as follows:

•During the period of January-September 2019, passengers carried decreased by 2.0%, to 56.4 million passengers from 57.6 million passengers for the same period of 2018. The number of passengers carried in domestic lines decreased by 7.6% and the number of international lines increased by 2.4%.
•International-to-international transfer passengers increased by 3.9%, compared to the same period of 2018.
•International Non-transit passengers increased by 0,6%, compared to the period of January–September 2018.
•L/F decreased by 0.6 points to 81.4%.
•ASK increased by 1.8% to 140.6 billion during the period of January-September 2019 from 138.2 billion for the same period of 2018. ASK in domestic lines decreased by 7.1%, while ASK in international lines increased by 3.1%.
•RPK increased by 1.0% to 114.5 billion during the period of January-September 2019 from 113.3 billion for the same period of 2018. Decrease in RPK in domestic lines is 6.0% while increase in RPK in international lines is 2.2%.
•Number of landings (passenger aircraft) of 377,264 for the period of January-September 2018 decreased by 1.7% to 370,713 in 2019.
•Cargo/Mail carried during the period of January-September 2019 increased by 9.6% to 1,119,245 tons from 1,021,013 tons in 2018.
•By the end of September 2019, number of aircraft went up to 344 from 330 of September 2018.

Link:
https://www.kap.org.tr/en/Bildirim/792027

gokmengs

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 am

Yakamoz wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
Here you go;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1432543&p=21707439&hilit=Turkish+Airlines#p21707439

Thank you.
As for AC serving IST, I see it as a longshot not because there is no market but the fact that I find AC very conservative in their operations.

AirbusA343

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 pm

http://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2019/10/05/turkish-airlines-pilot-returns-to-the-skies-after-beating-breast-cancer/amp

I stumbled upon this inspiring article of a Turkish Airlines First Officer and her mother both beating cancer while searching for pics of TC-JTK's livery. She is now back in the skies after a ten-month battle.

This article reminded me of female pilots in TK too. I don't know if I mentioned this but I've flown with TK eight times between this year and last year and three of those flights had either a female Captain or First Officer.

An irrelevant but fun fact is that one of those flights was actually on TC-JTK (last year before it got the sticker), this was one of the two flights last year with a male-only cockpit crew though.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm

One has to be concerned about TK and the operations of other airlines, including to/from the USA and EC due to the Turkish governments military and political actions vs. the Kurdish minorities, conflicts with Syria and threats of Syrian and other migrants being pushed out of Turkey to the EC or into an enclave in Syria. This was triggered, literally, by President Trump plans to withdraw USA soldiers advising the Kurds in Syria and their help with destroying ISIS as well as Turkey's government leaders going for a popular domestic policy. Military actions of Turkey will also hurt tourism and business travel. I suspect TK's plans for agressive growth will take a major reversal.

SQ22

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One has to be concerned about TK and the operations of other airlines, including to/from the USA and EC due to the Turkish governments military and political actions vs. the Kurdish minorities, conflicts with Syria and threats of Syrian and other migrants being pushed out of Turkey to the EC or into an enclave in Syria. This was triggered, literally, by President Trump plans to withdraw USA soldiers advising the Kurds in Syria and their help with destroying ISIS as well as Turkey's government leaders going for a popular domestic policy. Military actions of Turkey will also hurt tourism and business travel. I suspect TK's plans for agressive growth will take a major reversal.

Please continue this discussion in Non-Aviation Forum. Thanks.

LAXintl

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 am

Few random tidbits about TK.

Chairman Ilker Ayci participated in two conferences last week.

At the Association of International Forwarding and Logistics Service summit, Ayci stated the goal is to make TK one of the top-3 global cargo operators. TK has already moved from 13th to 7th place over the last 5-years and estimates to reach number 5 spot by end of 2023. Cargo remains a sector that has immense growth potential with Turkey having such a strategic location in the middle of many global trade lanes.

At the 10th annual Turkish Airlines Corporate Club Conference he made some comments:
> TK targets a fleet of ~400 aircraft in 2021, with 500 possible 2024 and beyond.
> Can't wait to get 737MAX into service. Without 24 aircraft this year has caused scheduling issues and reduction of planned growth. Full confidence in Boeing and that aircraft is safe, will fly on first 737MAX flight.
> Move to new airport a very smooth process completed quicker than anticipated. Two years of preparation work by staff.
> At Ataturk TK could no longer accommodate the hub it wanted. The new airport will allow TK to evolve naturally without restrictions
> New airport will become a "Meeting Point of the World"
> Final phase of the airport to be completed in 2028 allow for 200mil annual passengers
> TK secret sauce is - "Offer our guests a superior travel experience at a fair price"
> For example introducing a fare cap on domestic economy tickets for the remainder of 2019 - not to exceed 450TL (USD $78)
> Will introduce new menu concept across all classes with focus healthier and fresher ingredients with reduced calories.
> A focus in 2020 will be the implementation of more technology to allow TK to work smarter, and serve customers better.

Blerg

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:35 am

Interesting about the cap on domestic fares. My guess is that with current levels of competition that's the most they can offer anyway especially outside the busy summer months.

gokmengs

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 am

You won’t believe how many 779 tl BJV-ADB TZX to/from IST fares are there, regardless of the season

Blerg

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:49 am

Looking at some IST-BEG statistics I can notice a positive trend.

2016: 208.398
2017: 249.589
2018: 262.017

I suppose if there was an Open Skies Agreement in place numbers would be over 300.000. Then again, I wonder if TK got what it wanted (17 weekly and several weekly A333 flights) if KK would be able to survive.

BEG-AYT had around 80.000 passengers in 2018.

mercure1

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:26 pm

LAXintl wrote:
At the Association of International Forwarding and Logistics Service summit, Ayci stated the goal is to make TK one of the top-3 global cargo operators. TK has already moved from 13th to 7th place over the last 5-years and estimates to reach number 5 spot by end of 2023. Cargo remains a sector that has immense growth potential with Turkey having such a strategic location in the middle of many global trade lanes.

Would not surprise me if they make it. A few years ago Qatar Akbar Al Baker said he wanted QR to be a top-3 cargo airline and everyone laughed at him, but in 2018, QR was the 2nd largest globally in tonnage. TK as well could continue up the ranks as its fleet grows and takes advantage of Turkey's natural location.

Blerg wrote:
Interesting about the cap on domestic fares. My guess is that with current levels of competition that's the most they can offer anyway especially outside the busy summer months.

I recall reading last week PC also instituted the cap for the winter season. Its part of marketing effort to boost domestic flying which has slipped.
mercure f-wtcc

OA260

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One has to be concerned about TK

So far nothing really happening to TK apart from this protest at SFO :

Protest Blocks Turkish Airlines Ticket Counter at SFO

About 100 people turned out to protest at the Turkish Airlines ticket counter at San Francisco International Airport, an airport manager confirmed.

The protest, which blocked the Turkish Airlines ticket counter in the international terminal, was in response to Turkey's recent military invasion of northern Syria. Ticket holders were diverted around protesters and no flights were delayed.

www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Protest-B ... 46061.html

stylo777

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:
]

All three airlines will surely be affected to some extent with destinations like IKA taking a hit, but not "adverserely".
In fact, I also got to know that these flights also carry many people from Poland, the Balkan states and of course Western Europe (Italy and France in particular). Sure, if the price is right many people accept great detours (we have seen LAX-IST-MAD connections...); however, with "only" three weekly flights initially TK won't be (or should not be...) in a position to steer the market via aggressive pricing. Therefore, I expect the "natural" and "sensible" connection options to their great Iranian and Middle East network. Balkans will also work for them as well as the limited options to India.

stylo777

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm indecisive about the domestic price capping.
From (domestic) customer point of view it's surely a highly welcomed decision, but from airline perspective you are taking a hit in your most profitable travel period.
That's in my view too deep intervention and regulation against market dynamics. Let the market decide the price by demand; with 450 TRY (around 75 USD) you hardly cover the costs anyway.
I also have a feeling that the capping won't affect TK as much as the other carriers. Ask the whole Turkish population: at 450 TRY from IST to ADB, which one do you choose TK, KK, 8Q or PC? 99.9999% would take TK thus the need of the other three to lower the prices even more.

mercure1

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:16 am

Latin America good market to TK it seems

In the first nine months of this year, Turkish Airlines (THY) carried 340,000 passengers from Latin American countries, achieving a record high from this part of the world. Having seen an increase, especially in transit passengers from Latin countries, the national flag carrier raised its occupancy rates in this market to 86.3%.

The interest of Latin American tourists in Turkey increases every year. While arrivals from Latin American countries rose to 237,000 in eight months, many visit Turkey, especially for faith tourism. The most preferred place overall is Ephesus, while Brazilians take the lead in the number of tourists visiting Turkey with 647,767 arrivals and an increase of 33.55%, followed by Argentines with 46,172 and Colombians with 41,835 arrivals.

THY flies to record high on Latin American lines
https://www.dailysabah.com/business/201 ... passengers
mercure f-wtcc

TK773ER

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:14 am

TK's first A350 wil be TC-LPA according this http://a380.boards.net/thread/2478/a350-900-msn403-tk1

Blerg

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 am

Pegasus charges for luggage, does it mean the cap includes it or you have to pay extra? If it's extra then it puts them at an advantage compared to their competitors that don't charge for luggage.

LAXintl

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:42 am

Additional A350 market - Seoul effective August 11, 2020 - 4x weekly.

stylo777

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Need to collect a considerable amount of status miles (around 20k) until 03/2020 to maintain my gold status on TK.
Any suggestions or ideas for cheap in price but high in mileage accrural travel patterns? Based in Europe...

gokmengs

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Need to collect a considerable amount of status miles (around 20k) until 03/2020 to maintain my gold status on TK.
Any suggestions or ideas for cheap in price but high in mileage accrural travel patterns? Based in Europe...

HKG comes to mind.

aldrigsomandre

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:12 pm

stylo777 wrote:

Taipei.

lightsaber

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Blerg wrote:

I suspect that is acknowledgement of reality. By broadcasting a cap, perhaps fewer travelers will book TK?

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/turkey ... ic/1605682

The above link notes a sharp drop in 2019 domestic traffic. Is it the travel to the new airport (time to/from airport discouraging travel)? New roads and that additional bridge connecting across the Bosporus (a compression in drive vs. fly time)?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ramzi

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am

lightsaber wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I suspect that is acknowledgement of reality. By broadcasting a cap, perhaps fewer travelers will book TK?

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/turkey ... ic/1605682

The above link notes a sharp drop in 2019 domestic traffic. Is it the travel to the new airport (time to/from airport discouraging travel)? New roads and that additional bridge connecting across the Bosporus (a compression in drive vs. fly time)?

Lightsaber

Early in 2019 Turkey made domestic travel for Syrians very difficult. Those not naturalized are now required to stay in the province they were initially registered in and can only get a travel permit in severe circumstances. Given there are nearly 4 million of them throughout the country, I imagine this had at least some contribution to the decreased domestic travel. On top of that I imagine more service by LCCs has made vacationing abroad more affordable than before for Turkish nationals, leading to less domestic travel to vacation spots, but that is really just a guess.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

mafaky

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:31 am

ramzi wrote:
Early in 2019 Turkey made domestic travel for Syrians very difficult. Those not naturalized are now required to stay in the province they were initially registered in and can only get a travel permit in severe circumstances. Given there are nearly 4 million of them throughout the country, I imagine this had at least some contribution to the decreased domestic travel. On top of that I imagine more service by LCCs has made vacationing abroad more affordable than before for Turkish nationals, leading to less domestic travel to vacation spots, but that is really just a guess.

The current fact is that domestic air travelling has decreased in almost every major Turkish airport. The sharp two figures decrease in the new IST is due to the facts of location, some difficulties in reaching the new facility and ticket prices (where TK predominates): in short the adverse economy of the country. Hence, some domestic traffic inevitably shifted to SAW, but SAW itself is also on decrease for the domestic side, though in single figure. Factors listed above also contributed.

The increase for international traveling at IST can be attributed to the increase in foreign visitors and transfer traffic. Individual figures for O & D and transfer traffics are never published but my gutfeel is that real O & D (Turkish citizens traveling abroad) has either remained stable if not slightly decreased. But the increase at SAW is due to O & D traffic and can mainly attributed to LCC activity thru Pegasus and several other foreign carriers. Holiday destinations like ADB, AYT, BJV and DLM all carry signs of the usual high seasonal traffic.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

ushuaia

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:27 am

15.10.2019 - Public Disclosures
The Incorporation has decided to start operating scheduled flights, based on market conditions, to YVR.

Source:
https://investor.turkishairlines.com/en ... isclosures

gokmengs

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 am

ushuaia wrote:
15.10.2019 - Public Disclosures
The Incorporation has decided to start operating scheduled flights, based on market conditions, to YVR.

Source:
https://investor.turkishairlines.com/en ... isclosures

came here to post the same thing, thanks @ankaraflyjet for informing us early. Very short announcement, no mention of timeline or frequency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos