NiallS

Re: Irish 10/19: Winter is coming

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Here's a few pictures of business class (AerSpace) on the Aer Lingus A321neo from Dublin to LHR. The €150 fare was well worth it for the lie-flat seat. I wouldn't pay for it just for the normal blocked middle seat.
The IFE selection was extremely limited, just a handful of Irish films/documentaries. The crew weren't proactive about the free food for AerSpace.

irishair98

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:11 pm

For anyone interested the Irish Aviation Students Association (IASA) are hosting an aviation Career Expo in Croke Park on Tuesday 22nd of October.

There is a number of companies throughout the industry attending! Airlines, Lessors, MRO’s etc
More info on the event here: https://new.iasa.aero/career-expo-2019
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

OA260

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 am

Limerick Institute of Technology, Lufthansa Technik to offer aircraft maintenance engineering programme
Graduates from Bachelor of Science in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering can also find employment as licenced aircraft maintenance engineers
Irish based Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) in conjunction with Lufthansa Technik Shannon Limited (LTSL) have launched a new course in aviation open to students all over the globe. The new Bachelor of Science in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering is a full-time QQI Level 7 accredited course that will run for 28 months.

www.dqindia.com/limerick-institute-tech ... programme/

---

Emirates wants price compromise on Dublin Airport fees

The aviation regulator should moderate her proposed cut to fees at Dublin Airport to keep its expansion on track, the head of Emirates' Ireland operations says.

"We don't believe a short-term gain on reduced fees is a price that's worth paying to stop needed investment," Enda Corneille told the Irish Independent.

Commissioner for Aviation Regulation Cathy Mannion in May recommended a fee cut from the current cap of €8.81 per head to €7.50 from 2020 to 2024. Her final ruling is expected soon.

DAA chief Dalton Philips insists that the proposed cut would force it to shelve up to half of its €2bn development plans, to lay off hundreds of staff, and to stop dividend payments to the State.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/emira ... 02576.html

Eirules

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am

Being reported on another thread that FR are axing services from HAM due to MAX issues. DUB amongst the casualties. Aer Lingus must be rubbing their hands
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Ryanair to Close its Base at Hamburg Airport

Ryanair is under pressure. The Irish low-cost airline announced it would close several of its European bases, including the one in Hamburg.

Flying above the clouds is nice and relaxing. But the perspective from the ground is not. At least not anymore. Politics, the competition and emissions do worry airline managers these days. So do the issues with the Boeing 737MAX. This applies to those who run huge fleets of Boeing 737s and need new aircraft. The sky is not the limit anymore.

Thinning Out the Flight Schedule

All the pressure has lead to decisions. Ryanair will thin out its flight schedule. This also means sacrificing bases. Hamburg Airport announced on Wednesday, Ryanair had informed its administration of this kind of plan. What this means it that Ryanair will not have stationary aircraft in Hamburg anymore. For their remaining flights from there, planes from other bases will be used.

“We very much regret this”, Hamburg Airport let the world know. At the same time its press department stressed that Ryanair will still service as many as 14 routes from there. Out of the seven routes they will dump, most will be covered by other airlines. The only exceptions: Kraków and Verona.

https://berlinspectator.com/2019/10/17/ ... g-airport/

EI321

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Jetblue strikes transfer deal with Norwegian.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4054404

Jetblue have mentioned serving DUB recently. Personally I'd prefer to see Jetblue operate their own aircraft into Dublin from JFK than see Norwegian return to transatlantic from DUB, although I still think that they likely will once they get the MAX's back, assuming they don't run out of cash and collapse first.

EI321

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:25 am

The newest Aer Lingus A330-300 (EI-EIM) has emerged from the factory in full livery, minus engines:

https://aibfamily.flights/A330/1950

OA260

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:37 am

Air New Zealand Take The P**s Out Of Ireland & Aer Lingus Respond

Ireland take on the All Blacks in the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup on Saturday and Air New Zealand have decided to have a bit of fun ahead of the game.

The tongue-in-cheek video is done in the style of an in-flight safety announcement and gives Ireland a preview of what the airline thinks will be in store for them this weekend.

https://rugbylad.ie/air-new-zealand-tak ... ous-vidoe/

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am

OA260 wrote:
Air New Zealand Take The P**s Out Of Ireland & Aer Lingus Respond

Ireland take on the All Blacks in the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup on Saturday and Air New Zealand have decided to have a bit of fun ahead of the game.

The tongue-in-cheek video is done in the style of an in-flight safety announcement and gives Ireland a preview of what the airline thinks will be in store for them this weekend.

https://rugbylad.ie/air-new-zealand-tak ... ous-vidoe/

All excellent sport, I think! Didn't NZ and EI have a twitter thing before? As a sponsor of the IFRU and huge rugby followings in both countries, a bit of craic between the two nations is to be welcomed, I think.

EI321

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:39 pm

EI321 wrote:
Jetblue strikes transfer deal with Norwegian.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4054404

Jetblue have mentioned serving DUB recently. Personally I'd prefer to see Jetblue operate their own aircraft into Dublin from JFK than see Norwegian return to transatlantic from DUB, although I still think that they likely will once they get the MAX's back, assuming they don't run out of cash and collapse first.

Another possibility for the above partnership would be for Jetblue to launch routes to DUB with the A321neoLR, connecting with Norwegian flights in DUB. Their A321neoLR delivery's don't start until 2021 though.

Taity

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Does anybody know if its possible to book an AerSpace ticket on Avios redemption? Looking to try and use some points on a DUB-LHR flight but only getting economy option and unsure if this will let me select an AerSpace seat, doubt it? Wanting to try it on the A321 NEO in Jan.
Aer Arann • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • BMI • BMI Baby • British Airways • CityJet • Delta • EasyJet • Etihad • FlyBe • Go • Jet Blue • KLM • Lufthansa • Nok Air • Ryanair • Thai AirAsia • United • US Airways • Virgin Atlantic (Little Red)

OA260

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 am

Taity wrote:
Does anybody know if its possible to book an AerSpace ticket on Avios redemption? Looking to try and use some points on a DUB-LHR flight but only getting economy option and unsure if this will let me select an AerSpace seat, doubt it? Wanting to try it on the A321 NEO in Jan.

No not at this point. It seems AVIOS have not caught up with the new product or EI dont want the product filled with AVIOS bookings.

EI321

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:13 pm

I see there is a Cubana IL-96 in DUB for a Cuban presidential visit. Never thought I'd see one here in Ireland! Departs on Tuesday.

OA260

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:16 pm

EI321 wrote:
I see there is a Cubana IL-96 in DUB for a Cuban presidential visit. Never thought I'd see one here in Ireland! Departs on Tuesday.

Nice photo of it here :

https://twitter.com/birrlad/status/1185 ... 74560?s=12

OA260

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am

Aer Lingus staff to fight on for profit sharing as vote fails
Over 90pc of staff seeking slice of profits vote down airline's voucher offer

Aer Lingus is on a collision course with unions after staff overwhelmingly voted to reject a proposal to give them a €300 voucher instead of the potentially lucrative profit share they have long fought for.

The rejection ratchets up industrial relations tensions at the airline, coming as it does after a decision by management to outsource its Dublin Airport catering department, threatening over 200 jobs.

The airline's ground staff voted by 92pc to reject a Labour Court recommendation to break a long deadlock on the profit share issue, the Sunday Independent has learned.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 11773.html

—-

Dublin Airport to Tokyo may become one of world's longest direct flights as Ireland in talk with officials in Japan

Ireland is in talks with Japanese officials about a direct flight from Dublin Airport to Tokyo.

The flight, which would be almost 10,000km long, could become a reality in the "medium future" as officials met this week to discuss.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dubl ... 659722.amp

VFRonTop

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

OA260 wrote:

Dublin Airport to Tokyo may become one of world's longest direct flights as Ireland in talk with officials in Japan

Ireland is in talks with Japanese officials about a direct flight from Dublin Airport to Tokyo.

The flight, which would be almost 10,000km long, could become a reality in the "medium future" as officials met this week to discuss.

Would be wonderful if it happened but I'm not sure how mature this "medium future" discussion is. Also its a bit of a stretch to call DUB-TYO (6k miles) "one of the worlds longest flights", considering DOH-AKL, EWR-SIN and LHR-PER are half as long again at 9,000+ miles.

OA260

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Some Aer Lingus customer services moving to Philippines

Aer Lingus has moved part of its customer service operation to the Philippines.

The development follows a decision by the airline in August not to renew a contract with Kerry-based Fexco, which had been dealing with a portion of queries from customers in Ireland and Europe.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1021/1084 ... -services/

ShamrockBoi330

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 pm

i see EI-LRC on her first commercial flights today, the 14.30 and 19.00 LHR rotations. A nice upgrade for some unsuspecting passengers.

styles9002

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
—-

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... 659722.amp

More than likely just more wishful thinking as I don't see how DUB would support a scheduled service to TYO when recent attempts at PEK and HKG have failed. Additionally, there is almost zero chance Aer Lingus would operate the route, leaving it up to either JAL or ANA to do so. I don't believe either Japanese carrier have DUB at the top of the list to launch service.
It is what it is.

shamrock350

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
i see EI-LRC on her first commercial flights today, the 14.30 and 19.00 LHR rotations. A nice upgrade for some unsuspecting passengers.

Good to see the first three now in service, won't be long before one of them positions to Shannon to begin Boston.

OA260

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:54 pm

styles9002 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
—-

More than likely just more wishful thinking as I don't see how DUB would support a scheduled service to TYO when recent attempts at PEK and HKG have failed. Additionally, there is almost zero chance Aer Lingus would operate the route, leaving it up to either JAL or ANA to do so. I don't believe either Japanese carrier have DUB at the top of the list to launch service.

True maybe the best we can hope for is some Summer charters with Japanese tourists maybe once a week July / Aug etc ...

ShamrockBoi330

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:14 pm

styles9002 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
—-

Can you really say that HKG failed, or just became a victim of circumstance? Cathay have cut a lot of capacity given the recent turmoil in Hong Kong, as have a lot of other airlines. Plus, its only suspended and due to resume in March, or has this changed?

PEK was never ideal with the EDI leg, often wondered how it would have fared without that stop and getting a true direct non-stop service? Needless to say, HNA Group troubles didnt help either!

EI321

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I think the latest story on a Tokyo route has originated in Tabloids or Dublin Live, I wouldn't pay any attention to some of the nonsense on that site.

My opinion is that the DAA and / or Shane Ross really need to sort out the issues that the airport has at peak summer times and build more capacity before trying to attract more high quality exotic airlines into what is a very crowded airport. The airport has just lost all three of its far east routes at once, this will hardly make it attractive to a fourth Asian airline. Cathy and Hainan to Beijing will hopefully be back next year, I'm still perplexed at why Cathay chose DUB as the first route to drop in its network despite it apparently performing exceptionally well up to the recent crisis in Hong Kong.

Don't get me wrong, there is still great potential for DUB to grow, I just wish there was more foresight in planning for important infrastructure in this country, rather than just waiting until the system is at crisis point before investing in it. Its the same story with public transport in Dublin, its bursting at the seams and improvements are still years away.

OA260

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:16 am

Ryanair hires company in Jordan to carry out aircraft maintenance

Joramco says it has signed a maintenance agreement for the first time with the Irish airline

Ryanair has hired Jordan-based Joramco to carry out detailed maintenance checks on aircraft.

Safety regulators require all airlines to carry out regular detailed maintenance checks on their aircraft. Ryanair recently hired Joramco, based in the Middle Eastern country’s capital Amman, to carry out heavy maintenance checks on its Boeing 737 new generation (NG) aircraft.

The Irish carrier does much of its own maintenance and has several facilities for this at various locations around Europe, including one at Glasgow in Scotland.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4058269

---

Ryanair action against Irish-based pilots adjourned

Pilots seek stay on case as mediation proceeds

Ryanair’s bid to fast-track its action against some of its pilots based in Ireland and their trade union over a planned strike that was halted by injunction last August has been adjourned for two weeks at the Commercial Court.

The adjournment was granted in the context of a High Court hearing next Thursday of an application by the pilots and Fórsa, the parent union of the Irish Airline Pilots’ Association (Ialpa), for a stay on Ryanair’s case while a mediation process proceeds.

Ryanair, represented by Martin Hayden SC, told the Commercial Court on Monday the mediation was addressing a pay claim and that is not what Ryanair’s legal action, which seeks damages and certain declarations, is about.

His argument was disputed by Marguerite Bolger SC, for the defendants.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4057801

BrianDromey

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am

OA260 wrote:

Joramco says it has signed a maintenance agreement for the first time with the Irish airline

Ryanair has hired Jordan-based Joramco to carry out detailed maintenance checks on aircraft.

Safety regulators require all airlines to carry out regular detailed maintenance checks on their aircraft. Ryanair recently hired Joramco, based in the Middle Eastern country’s capital Amman, to carry out heavy maintenance checks on its Boeing 737 new generation (NG) aircraft.

The Irish carrier does much of its own maintenance and has several facilities for this at various locations around Europe, including one at Glasgow in Scotland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.4058269

I cant quite make out if they are saying the maintenance will be done in Jordan, that Joramco will performa the maintenance in Europe or that their standards aren't sufficiently high enough? I wonder what the hacks at the Irish Times would make of the maintenance operations in Manilla, Turkey, etc?

iRISH251

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.4058269

I cant quite make out if they are saying the maintenance will be done in Jordan, that Joramco will performa the maintenance in Europe or that their standards aren't sufficiently high enough? I wonder what the hacks at the Irish Times would make of the maintenance operations in Manilla, Turkey, etc?

From any articles that I have found on-line, it is C-Checks that are being contracted out to Joramco. Wikipedia says of this level of check "This is performed approximately every 20–24 months or a specific number of actual flight hours (FH) or as defined by the manufacturer. This maintenance check is much more extensive than a B check, requiring a large majority of the aircraft's components to be inspected. This check puts the aircraft out of service, and the aircraft must not leave the maintenance site until it is completed. It also requires more space than A and B checks. It is, therefore, usually carried out in a hangar at a maintenance base. The time needed to complete such a check is at least 1–2 weeks and the effort involved can require up to 6,000 man-hours." I am not clear why anyone might suggest that a Middle Eastern organisation's standards would be inferior to those in Western Europe.

Eagleboy

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus staff to fight on for profit sharing as vote fails
Over 90pc of staff seeking slice of profits vote down airline's voucher offer

Aer Lingus is on a collision course with unions after staff overwhelmingly voted to reject a proposal to give them a €300 voucher instead of the potentially lucrative profit share they have long fought for.
The airline's ground staff voted by 92pc to reject a Labour Court recommendation to break a long deadlock on the profit share issue, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Just to add to this flight and cabin crew voted 96% against the offer from Aer Lingus. On the table was 1% increase to annual pay , a once off E300 voucher and commitment to "productivity increases".

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... passengers

More than three million passengers passed through Dublin Airport last month, which was a 4% increase on last year, making it the busiest September in the airport’s 79-year history.
Passenger numbers to and from continental Europe increased by 6% as almost 1.7 million passengers travelled to and from European destinations during the month. Almost 828,000 passengers travelled to and from UK destinations in September, which was a 1% increase over the same period last year.
The number of passengers travelling to the Middle East, North Africa and the Asia Pacific region remained flat, as almost 90,000 passengers travelled to and from these destinations last month.
Transatlantic traffic to North America increased by 4% as almost 443,000 passengers travelled on this route sector last month.
Passenger numbers on domestic routes increased by 1% with more than 9,000 travelling on domestic flights last month.

EI321

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:21 pm

It appears that Aer Lingus have launched a new direct entry pilot recruitment campaign, which would appear to coincide with the opinion that a pilot shortage has played a major role in the decision to not launch new routes next year.

shamrock350

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 pm

EI321 wrote:
It appears that Aer Lingus have launched a new direct entry pilot recruitment campaign, which would appear to coincide with the opinion that a pilot shortage has played a major role in the decision to not launch new routes next year.

Possibly but they've done this at the same time for the past three years at least.

Here's one from October 2017:

https://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-jo ... 3-Oct2017/

OA260

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 am

Boy whose legs were scalded on Aer Lingus flight awarded €11,000

Child (1) burned after he knocked against cup with hot liquid, no lid being passed to passenger

A 12-months-old boy, whose legs were scalded when hot liquid was spilled on him during an Aer Lingus flight, has been awarded €11,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Judge John O’ Connor, heard today Tuesday, that Philip Myskow of Oaklands Avenue, Swords, Co Dublin, had been a passenger on an Aer Lingus flight from Gran Canaria to Dublin, when the accident occurred on May 4th, 2017.

www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/c ... 5?mode=amp

—-

Dublin Airport hosts record three million passengers in September

Almost 25.5 million passengers have travelled through Dublin Airport so far this year

Dublin Airport saw a record three million passengers pass through its gates in September despite fears that Brexit would lead to a falloff in numbers.

This was an increase of 4 per cent on last year, making it the busiest September in the airport’s 79-year history.

Almost 25.5 million passengers have travelled through Dublin Airport in the first nine months of the year, a 1.3 million or 5 per cent increase on last year.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 6?mode=amp

Skyblue39

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am

Lauda have announced 2w Vienna - Shannon starting 1st April 2020, Wednesday and Saturday.
Available for booking on www.ryanair.com

runway23

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 pm

What's the news for DUB-YUL on EI ? It still hasn't been reloaded for summer 2020. Will it ever launch ?

OA260

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:12 am

Aer Lingus paid out €225m dividend last year as profits rose

Aer Lingus paid a €225m dividend to its UK-based holding firm last year as profit levels at the Irish carrier continued to grow.

The figure is higher than the €200m that was paid in 2017 - which was the first time the airline had paid a dividend since it was acquired by IAG in 2015 for €1.36bn.

The latest big dividend payment comes as Aer Lingus staff continue to fight for a share of the carrier's profits.

A recent ballot saw 92pc of its ground staff reject a Labour Court recommendation that they receive a €300 voucher from the carrier, rather than the profit-sharing mechanism they have been pushing for.

A separate ballot saw 96pc of Aer Lingus cabin crew and pilots reject the proposals finalised last January by the Labour Court. It recommended that Aer Lingus deliver a 1pc pay rise and give staff members €300 vouchers on a one-off basis.

www.independent.ie/business/aer-lingus- ... 25770.html

---

Shannon Airport announces first ever direct flights to Vienna

Vienna service is a welcome break for airport hit by Boeing 737 Max groundings

Lauda, the low-cost Austrian airline owned by Ryanair, is to launch direct flights between Vienna and Shannon Airport next year.

The new route will commence from the end of March 2020, operating twice weekly as a summer service, according to Shannon Group.

As we publish, prices are quoting from €33.99 to €58.99 each-way for next April on ryanair.com and laudamotion.com.

www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-n ... 25064.html

---

Cork Airport and passenger numbers

Sir, – Contrary to Tom Tiernan’s letter (October 21st), Shannon Airport is not the State’s second-largest airport; that ranking is held by Cork Airport. Cork Airport is 28 per cent larger than Shannon Airport in terms of passenger numbers, as Cork welcomed 2.39 million passengers last year, while Shannon welcomed 1.86 million passengers. Cork Airport will further strengthen its position this year, as its passenger numbers have increased by 9 per cent in the year to date. – Yours, etc,

KEVIN CULLINANE,

Head of Communications,

Cork Airport.

www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cork ... -1.4057993

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am

OA260 wrote:

KEVIN CULLINANE,

Head of Communications,

Cork Airport.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/lette ... -1.4057993

Great news for Shannon. Hopefully the route will do well. Its a slight shame that ORK didn't manage to get the route, but we can live in hope!

Shamrockmaple

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 am

Air France goes twice daily on their ORK-CDG route next summer with morning and evening flights

https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail ... ummer-2020

OA260

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am

Shamrockmaple wrote:
Air France goes twice daily on their ORK-CDG route next summer with morning and evening flights

https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail ... ummer-2020

Another boost for ORK. Great timings also. Will open up a lot of options for connections.

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:12 pm

OA260 wrote:
Another boost for ORK. Great timings also. Will open up a lot of options for connections.

I think my criticism of Cork came minutes too soon! AF suspended the route for the winter, which I assumed meant it was gone for good. The timings are, indeed, excellent for connections east and west. They should work for intra-europe connections too.

The timetable is:
AF9465 ORK 0625 CDG 0910 1234567 E90
AF1095 ORK 1420 CDG 1705 12345-- E70
AF1095 ORK 1420 CDG 1705 -----67 E90

AF1094 CDG 1250 ORK 13:40 12345-- E70
AF1094 CDG 1250 ORK 13:40 -----67 E90
AF9464 CDG 2045 ORK 2135 1234567 E90

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Fantastic for Cork. I suspect EI may end up scaling back AMS more at Cork now, could drop to daily but of course opens capacity for other routes.

Interesting to see if they stick with CDG to, if they don’t AF could probably go year round.

klm617

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:13 pm

runway23 wrote:
What's the news for DUB-YUL on EI ? It still hasn't been reloaded for summer 2020. Will it ever launch ?

Also Detroit Dublin which has been highly rumored for s summer 2020 start ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Clydenairways

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

runway23 wrote:

I'd say with Brexit saga dragging on and on that EI will probably just want to hold firm for 2020 until the future picture is clearer. I'd expect maybe some low risk expansion on existing routes is all you will see for summer 2020.

klm617

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I'd say with Brexit saga dragging on and on that EI will probably just want to hold firm for 2020 until the future picture is clearer. I'd expect maybe some low risk expansion on existing routes is all you will see for summer 2020.

What would Brexit have to do with EI expanding. The average traveler is not going to be effected by Brexit. Even DL/VS are expanding to the British Isles in spite of Brexit. EI could easily add one or two North American markets but I think their ambitious growth plan was nothing but smoke and mirrors to see if it could get airports to come up with significant case to lure them in but that didn't happen so they are scrapping the entire narrowbody growth plan.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

shamrock350

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Not around these parts it hasn’t.

With Airbus sluggish on deliveries of new aircraft we’re unlikely to see any new additions to the network in time for the start of next summer.

Aer Lingus has however already loaded considerable increases on existing routes for next summer with more expected.

Skyblue39

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:25 pm

klm617 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I have not heard of any rumours for Detroit-Dublin. I have heard of other US cities mentioned, but Detroit has not been featured.

shamrock350

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm

klm617 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
runway23 wrote:

What would Brexit have to do with EI expanding. The average traveler is not going to be effected by Brexit. Even DL/VS are expanding to the British Isles in spite of Brexit. EI could easily add one or two North American markets but I think their ambitious growth plan was nothing but smoke and mirrors to see if it could get airports to come up with significant case to lure them in but that didn't happen so they are scrapping the entire narrowbody growth plan.

Yikes.

Firstly, a bit of research into the impact of a ‘no deal’ Brexit on the Irish economy would answer your first question extensively. In short, the British economy would be trashed and the Irish economy would be severely weakened, not a great basis for profitable expansion by an airline largely focused on the Irish and British market.

The second part of your post is nonsense. Just this summer Aer Linus ordered an additional six narrow body aircraft for transatlantic expansion, bit much for smoke and mirrors no?

Just because DTW didn’t make the cut this time around doesn’t mean the entire business strategy of the airline has changed.

klm617

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:13 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:

Yikes.

Firstly, a bit of research into the impact of a ‘no deal’ Brexit on the Irish economy would answer your first question extensively. In short, the British economy would be trashed and the Irish economy would be severely weakened, not a great basis for profitable expansion by an airline largely focused on the Irish and British market.

The second part of your post is nonsense. Just this summer Aer Linus ordered an additional six narrow body aircraft for transatlantic expansion, bit much for smoke and mirrors no?

Just because DTW didn’t make the cut this time around doesn’t mean the entire business strategy of the airline has changed.

Well they added many flights to existing destinations and scrapped YUL for 2020 so actions speak louder than words. I still think the whole narrowbody expansion thing was just a balloon they floated out there. The fact is they have not added one new route based on the A321 acquisition.

klm617

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I have not heard of any rumours for Detroit-Dublin. I have heard of other US cities mentioned, but Detroit has not been featured.

I have heard Detroit mentioned in a few places including on this thread more than once.

OA260

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 pm

klm617 wrote:

I have heard Detroit mentioned in a few places including on this thread more than once.[/quote]

You are correct that it has been mentioned but it is more of a wish list then a serious impending announcement.

With regards to your other comments about Brexit the fact is no one knows exactly what damage it would do to the Aer Lingus network if any. WW seems to be playing down the threats. Remainers will over hype the position that it will trash the economy and leavers will over hype the position that no damage will be done. The truth most likely is somewhere in between.

Speaking about Brexit Dublin Airport seem to be prepared and sensible info and new signs have been put up . UK arrivals will continue to use a new EU EEA UK channel ( basically the same as now ) and CTA remains unchanged. You will exit Green channel instead of Blue channel.

Will flights be cancelled or delayed if there is a no deal Brexit?

A no deal Brexit is not expected to have any impact on flight operations at Dublin Airport. The EU has introduced new laws to ensure that flights between the UK and Ireland will continue as normal if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. The UK has confirmed that it will mirror these arrangements.

www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/ ... rexit-faqs

klm617

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:37 pm

OA260 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I have heard Detroit mentioned in a few places including on this thread more than once.

You are correct that it has been mentioned but it is more of a wish list then a serious impending announcement.

I had also heard from a person that was at an Aer Lingus presentation in MSP that they were so pleased with the loads they are getting there and that Detroit was at the very top of the list to get added next. So we really shouldn't play down the fact that Detroit is the next logical add.

OA260

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Airport Charges Decision A Disaster For Passengers And For The Irish Economy

daa is hugely disappointed at today’s publication of the Commission for Aviation Regulation’s (CAR) Final Determination on Dublin Airport’s charges for 2020-2024.

CAR has set a price of €7.87 for the period, which is 18% below Dublin Airport’s flat pricing proposal of €9.65 that was discussed with airlines 12 months ago.

The flat pricing proposition would have funded almost €2 billion of much-needed investment at Dublin Airport to deliver new boarding gates, aircraft parking stands, an upgraded security area, and improvements to other customer facilities. This flat pricing plan and was supported by the vast majority of airline customers during daa’s extensive consultation process.

www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/ ... sh-economy

A60Stock

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Logic is in the eye of the beholder. Detroit (to my certain knowledge) has not much in the way of commercial links with Dublin whereas Austin (for example) would have more. Can you enlighten us as to why it is the next logical add?
Types flown: A319, A320, B734, B738, B744, B77W and E195.
Airports flown to/from: DUB, JFK, LGW, LHR, LIS, LTN, PDL, SEN and STN.
Airlines flown with: AA, BA, BD, BE, EI, and FR.
Next flights: W9 LTN - SVG - LTN
Home Airport: LHR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos